PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage Observations

StarkVegasSteve
08-18-2019, 12:30 AM
Was at the scrimmage today and a few things stuck out:

1) Tommy Stevens is for real. He spins the ball better than any MSU QB I?ve ever seen. He ran with the 1?s all day and will do so for the season. He will make a difference for us this year. He had a play where the snap was low, he corralled it and off his back foot threw it on the money to the back corner for a TD.
2) Receiver play is night and day from last year. No drops today and very good routes. Was very impressed with Cam Gardner. He?s going to get some major PT this year.
3) Kylin Hill. He looks like the NFL back we need him to be. One person is not bringing him down this year. He will have 20+ touches a ballgame.
4) Defensively we were very bland. Not to say we looked bad, but we were base basically the entire scrimmage. Dantzler was in a no contact and did not play. Gay was in a no contact with shorts and a boot on. Smithermann had a nice pick at the end of practice.

DancingRabbit
08-18-2019, 12:44 AM
So you're saying our defense sucks **

Srsly, thanks for the report. I've been quietly woolly on TS since the Manning camp reports.

StarkVegasSteve
08-18-2019, 01:16 AM
Yea the D looked good. Very good at the end of practice when we started blitzing. Once we started sending Cole off the edge our QBs had very little time to throw. We were pretty much base until the last period when they opened it up

Lord McBuckethead
08-18-2019, 01:53 AM
I am ready to see these guys live.
I hope we jump out early against our first 4 teams so we can keep everything vanilla until Auburn. I really do not want them to see us coming.

msbulldog
08-18-2019, 04:45 AM
Coaches were probably holding defense back to give offense chance to work.

Cooterpoot
08-18-2019, 07:09 AM
We still have some issues at the T spot IMO, but overall, the offense will be better. Still curious to see if we can adjust to SEC defenses. QB position is going to be thin next year. Shit, I’m ready to see the product in a game!

MarketingBully
08-18-2019, 07:44 AM
How is the QB position going to be thin next year? We will have KT as the #1 and have Shrader and Maden along with the kid from Brandon. We are fine at QB for the foreseeable future. How many QBs do you think we need?

I seen it dawg
08-18-2019, 07:48 AM
How is the QB position going to be thin next year? We will have KT as the #1 and have Shrader and Maden along with the kid from Brandon. We are fine at QB for the foreseeable future. How many QBs do you think we need?

Don't be surprised if Schrader is the starter next year. Kid has tools.

MarketingBully
08-18-2019, 08:01 AM

That would not surprise me. Moorhead has wanted Shrader since he was at Penn State.

MetEdDawg
08-18-2019, 08:11 AM

Yeah if Schrader is the guy next year you can just about guarantee KT will leave. Then you have to be concerned about Mayden as well.

So the spot could get thin for sure if that's the case.

MarketingBully
08-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Yeah if Schrader is the guy next year you can just about guarantee KT will leave. Then you have to be concerned about Mayden as well.

If KT doesn’t beat out Shrader next year then this offense wasn’t meant for KT to run it.

ZedFedder
08-18-2019, 08:19 AM
I doubt he spins it better than Dak.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 08:26 AM
I doubt he spins it better than Dak.

We haven’t seen Tommy Gunn play yet, but this could be an interesting debate. I’ve always felt Dak’s value was based on a ton of things other than how he spun it. It’s completly plausible that Gunn spins it better than Dak but is only 60% of the total QB

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 08:27 AM

1) Tommy Stevens is for real. He spins the ball better than any MSU QB I?ve ever seen. He ran with the 1?s all day and will do so for the season. He will make a difference for us this year. He had a play where the snap was low, he corralled it and off his back foot threw it on the money to the back corner for a TD.
2) Receiver play is night and day from last year. No drops today and very good routes. Was very impressed with Cam Gardner. He?s going to get some major PT this year.
3) Kylin Hill. He looks like the NFL back we need him to be. One person is not bringing him down this year. He will have 20+ touches a ballgame.
4) Defensively we were very bland. Not to say we looked bad, but we were base basically the entire scrimmage. Dantzler was in a no contact and did not play. Gay was in a no contact with shorts and a boot on. Smithermann had a nice pick at the end of practice.

How is the team taking to Gunn? Is he just a “grad transfer” filler in their minds or is he leading the team?

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 08:28 AM

QBs will always be leaving. Once you get to the 3rd guy, they all suck anyway. Just make sure your starter is good and your backup won’t 17 it up

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 08:32 AM
We still have some issues at the T spot IMO, but overall, the offense will be better. Still curious to see if we can adjust to SEC defenses. QB position is going to be thin next year. Shit, I’m ready to see the product in a game!

What issues do we have at OT? The personnel there seems good. What’s the issue?

MetEdDawg
08-18-2019, 08:34 AM
QBs will always be leaving. Once you get to the 3rd guy, they all suck anyway. Just make sure your starter is good and your backup won’t 17 it up

Well the point was made that our QB position could be thin. I don't know about you but I wouldn't be overly thrilled if our QB depth chart next year was Schrader and Rogers and that was it.

Cooterpoot
08-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Still will have some issues with speed off the end. I’m not saying they’re bad. Just certain matchups are going to still give us some problems. I think the other question is how will we use the TEs. We’ve heard of more TE sets, so maybe we give them help. We didn’t last year.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 08:41 AM
Well the point was made that our QB position could be thin. I don't know about you but I wouldn't be overly thrilled if our QB depth chart next year was Schrader and Rogers and that was it.

We do need a middle guy.

Is Rogers enrolling early? I wouldn’t want to burn his RS though.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Still will have some issues with speed off the end. I’m not saying they’re bad. Just certain matchups are going to still give us some problems. I think the other question is how will we use the TEs. We’ve heard of more TE sets, so maybe we give them help. We didn’t last year.

Makes sense. Put some weight on Cross so we can handle the edge

KOdawg1
08-18-2019, 09:07 AM

I most interested to see if he can throw his passes with touch. Fitz could "spin" it, but it was a 200 mph spinning missile that would dent our WRs facemask. If Tommy can place balls with a sense of touch, then look out.

PMDawg
08-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Still will have some issues with speed off the end. I?m not saying they?re bad. Just certain matchups are going to still give us some problems. I think the other question is how will we use the TEs. We?ve heard of more TE sets, so maybe we give them help. We didn?t last year.

If Joe didn't give our guys TE help in the Kentucky game last year, he never will. He let Allen beat us by himself by refusing that one simple adjustment.

ckDOG
08-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Just put the QB in that can make the reads and throw a catchable ball while an SEC lineman in breathing on you. Spinning it pretty is for camp QBs and 7 on 7 ball. Just get it done.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 09:17 AM
I most interested to see if he can throw his passes with touch. Fitz could "spin" it, but it was a 200 mph spinning missile that would dent our WRs facemask. If Tommy can place balls with a sense of touch, then look out.

Fitz couldn't spin it. Arm strength doesn't mean you can spin. In fact, I'd guess Fitz had a low RPM pass, kind of like a sinker in baseball. That's why it was hard to catch. It wasnt hard to catch due to velocity

bulldawg28
08-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Still will have some issues with speed off the end. I?m not saying they?re bad. Just certain matchups are going to still give us some problems. I think the other question is how will we use the TEs. We?ve heard of more TE sets, so maybe we give them help. We didn?t last year.

It appears you're talking about previous practices not the scrimmage yesterday. Did they use the TE's?

1bigdawg
08-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Just put the QB in that can make the reads and throw a catchable ball while an SEC lineman in breathing on you. Spinning it pretty is for camp QBs and 7 on 7 ball. Just get it done.

You got it. I believe all of the QBs on pour team are "adequate" at throwing the ball, but after that making good quick decisions is the most important quality in a QB. A great thrower who makes fails to make a decision quickly will get overwhelmed by any SEC defense.

tcdog70
08-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Fitz couldn't spin it. Arm strength doesn't mean you can spin. In fact, I'd guess Fitz had a low RPM pass, kind of like a sinker in baseball. That's why it was hard to catch. It wasnt hard to catch due to velocity

Man, where do,you come up with your bullshit? What makes you an QB guru? You wouldn't know a Qb that could spin if he hit you between your 17 ing eyes.

thf24
08-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Man, where do,you come up with your bullshit? What makes you an QB guru? You wouldn't know a Qb that could spin if he hit you between your 17 ing eyes.

http://perceptionaction.com/poorthrow/

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Holliday inn bro

Coach007
08-18-2019, 11:43 AM

2 things...

1-It seems Shrader may be #3 now on the depth chart... per writers.

2-If the defense was playing bland, then I expect the offensive performance to have been great. I want the defense to give them some sort of HELL. That's just me.

Coach007
08-18-2019, 11:50 AM
One other thing.. Our 1s went against the 2s

Coach007
08-18-2019, 11:53 AM
If Joe didn't give our guys TE help in the Kentucky game last year, he never will.

Well, this scrimmage.. the first drive was a TD pass to Green(TE) for 15 yards from Stevens.

It may have been more than a HC refusing help... you think? My God!

yjnkdawg
08-18-2019, 12:09 PM

Fitz did not throw an easily catchable ball, and it had to do with something about the spin of the ball, and how it looked to the receivers when they were trying to catch it. Add in the velocity and that was the reason for some of the drops. We should have a lot less drops this year but we won't know that until the passing game gets on the field in actual NCAA football games.

StarkVegasSteve
08-18-2019, 12:10 PM
2 things...

1-It seems Shrader may be #3 now on the depth chart... per writers.

2-If the defense was playing bland, then I expect the offensive performance to have been great. I want the defense to give them some sort of HELL. That's just me.

Schrader looked extremely good yesterday. Ball was getting out quickly and on target. He ran with the 3?s all day.

Coach34
08-18-2019, 12:10 PM
One other thing.. Our 1s went against the 2s

That's one thing JoVester does I really disagree with. Rarely goes 1' vs 1's. Need a little bit of that every now and then to get a true look at your offense

StarkVegasSteve
08-18-2019, 12:13 PM
That's one thing JoVester does I really disagree with. Rarely goes 1' vs 1's. Need a little bit of that every now and then to get a true look at your offense

They went 1 vs 1 a lot yesterday. You could clearly hear Joe yell 1O vs 1D multiple times throughout the scrimmage.

BuckyIsAB****
08-18-2019, 12:19 PM
We do need a middle guy.

Is Rogers enrolling early? I wouldn?t want to burn his RS though.

Yes he is graduating early and will go thru spring ball

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2019, 12:20 PM
They went 1 vs 1 a lot yesterday. You could clearly hear Joe yell 1O vs 1D multiple times throughout the scrimmage.

1st scrimmage was entirely 1 v 1 & 2 v 2 & so on.

BuckyIsAB****
08-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Fitz could absolutely rip it. I think you are trying to hard here haha ''rpms'' Accuracy and the mental side were his issues, we are beating his dead horse into the ground around here

Coach34
08-18-2019, 12:32 PM
1st scrimmage was entirely 1 v 1 & 2 v 2 & so on.

good. I know that was a big complaint from last year.

confucius say
08-18-2019, 12:38 PM

Even some of the players last year commented on the lack of 1v1, of course I think they liked the change.

Maybe more 1v1 this year is part of what joe meant when he talked about going back to more of a blue collar, physical mindset.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Fitz could absolutely rip it. I think you are trying to hard here haha ''rpms'' Accuracy and the mental side were his issues, we are beating his dead horse into the ground around here

Disagree. I'm not trying hard at all. That's actually what the answer is.

msstate7
08-18-2019, 12:57 PM

I have no idea either way, but I am interested in where you get the rpms. Do we have statcast ai tracking our QBs?

Coach007
08-18-2019, 01:04 PM

I'm just repeating what Shoop stated...

Word for word:

Q: So how was it tonight?
Shoop: We had the No. 1 defense against the 2 offense and the No. 2 defense against the No. 1 offense. As you would expect, I thought the 1 offense moved the ball pretty well against the 2s and the 1 defense did a pretty good job against the 2 offense.

BuckyIsAB****
08-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Sure its not that he was inaccurate or that we dropped passes its his revolutions per minute on the ball (there is no case ever that a ball as been in the air for an entire minute) werent very good

thf24
08-18-2019, 01:07 PM
I think Shotgun is only speculating that poor rotation is a significant factor in Fitz' passing issues, but it's a good speculation because it fits the bill pretty closely in terms of the criticisms of his end result throwing the ball.

http://perceptionaction.com/poorthrow/ (Posted this once already but without much context).

tl;dr - poor rotation rate = looser and inconsistent spiral = erratic trajectory and harder to catch, which gets worse the higher the velocity.

thf24
08-18-2019, 01:13 PM
delete

Coach34
08-18-2019, 01:16 PM
I'm just repeating what Shoop stated...

Word for word:

Q: So how was it tonight?
Shoop: We had the No. 1 defense against the 2 offense and the No. 2 defense against the No. 1 offense. As you would expect, I thought the 1 offense moved the ball pretty well against the 2s and the 1 defense did a pretty good job against the 2 offense.

hmmm- seems like someone is wrong. Wonder if its the coach or the message board posters?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2019, 01:21 PM
hmmm- seems like someone is wrong. Wonder if its the coach or the message board posters?

I can't speak for last night but the 1st scrimmage was 1 v 1.

Coach007
08-18-2019, 01:33 PM

And last night there may have been some 1v1. Maybe the majority was just that.

MaroonFlounder
08-18-2019, 03:54 PM

The irony of your tagline.

I think you were fighting your own ignorance with that analysis, chief.

DownwardDawg
08-18-2019, 04:35 PM

Reading comprehension is not a strong point for some. It was pretty clear to most of us what you posted.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-18-2019, 05:09 PM
2 weeks... then you guys can bitch and moan about games, players, and coaching decisions rather than whether or not how fast you spin a ball affects how easy it is to catch. Fitz is old news and I'll be happy when we can put bickering over just how bad of a passer he was behind us. In Tommy we trust.

...... but for the record, I do remember last preseason how everyone was praising Fitz's newfoud touch and accuracy, and how he was at like 70% comp % in camp... I also remember a lot of people questioning Shoop based on the simple D we ran in scrimmages. I also remember a lot praise for Austin Williams, and how Mullen was an idiot to redshirt him. Og yeah, and we were finally going to use the TE's... I also don't remember hearing about the OT's being a liability at pass pro, Fitz being incapable of making a pre-snap read in this O, or just how good Abram would be.

Camp can't teach you ANYTHING. Learn from last year people. I know we're like heroin addicts looking for one shot of football, but camp rumors are like a dirty needle found on the ground- it might be a quick fix but it's not worth the risk to your health. Think of last year's season for that matter; NONE of us knew the O had flaws till game 4 of the season. If we didn't see that abomination of an O coming through over 200 real game snaps, how much can we learn fro ma few dozen snaps in a scrimmage? Camp scouting reports are useless.

All that said, I'll still read through every one if these threads lol

Coach007
08-18-2019, 05:11 PM
2 weeks... then you guys can bitch and moan about games, players, and coaching decisions rather than whether or not how fast you spin a ball affects how easy it is to catch. Fitz is old news and I'll be happy when we can put bickering over just how bad of a passer he was behind us. In Tommy we trust.

...... but for the record, I do remember last preseason how everyone was praising Fitz's newfoud touch and accuracy, and how he was at like 70% comp % in camp... I also remember a lot of people questioning Shoop based on the simple D we ran in scrimmages. I also remember a lot praise for Austin Williams, and how Mullen was an idiot to redshirt him. Og yeah, and we were finally going to use the TE's... I also don't remember hearing about the OT's being a liability at pass pro, Fitz being incapable of making a pre-snap read in this O, or just how good Abram would be.

Camp can't teach you ANYTHING. Learn from last year people. I know we're like heroin addicts looking for one shot of football, but camp rumors are like a dirty needle found on the ground- it might be a quick fix but it's not worth the risk to your health. Think of last year's season for that matter; NONE of us knew the O had flaws till game 4 of the season. If we didn't see that abomination of an O coming through over 200 real game snaps, how much can we learn fro ma few dozen snaps in a scrimmage? Camp scouting reports are useless.

I like you.

turkish
08-18-2019, 05:29 PM
Lmao

maroonmania
08-18-2019, 05:53 PM

I agree with this. Making the right reads and throwing an accurate ball are more important than RPMs.

msstate7
08-18-2019, 06:01 PM

Dang, that was good. Tried to rep you, but gotta spread it around...

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 06:09 PM
The irony of your tagline.

I think you were fighting your own ignorance with that analysis, chief.

Thinking could be a dangerous activity for you. I'd stay away.

To simplify my point: Fitz has a strong arm but not a fast arm. Fast arms produce more catchable balls. Fitz throws with the strength of his body. If Fitz were 6'1" 210, he wouldn't have near as strong of an arm. Dak is even a somewhat of a strength based thrower. Guys like Pat Maholmes, Kyler Murray, Brady, Favre, Brees, etc have fast arms. Arm speed. Doesn't matter how big they are because the velocity doesn't come from their strength.

RiverCityDawg
08-18-2019, 06:34 PM

100% every word

Homedawg
08-18-2019, 09:28 PM
Here's one scouting report that isn't a made up one, just scary. Jackson is a backup dt. He's played zero snaps at dt in college. Lovett played in 2 games. Etc. Autry is going to miss games... Pickering isn't ready to play but he's going to have to. Our dt situation has me bad afraid. We are going to have to blitz like crazy and that's how big plays occur. I know I know, I'm about to get jumped they we aren't falling off that much yada yada yada.... at dt we aren't falling off much, of a small cliff doesn't count

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 09:31 PM
I have no idea either way, but I am interested in where you get the rpms. Do we have statcast ai tracking our QBs?

I don't mean to sound arrogant here, but I can see it with my eyes. For further explanation, DM me

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2019, 09:32 PM
Here's one scouting report that isn't a made up one, just scary. Jackson is a backup dt. He's played zero snaps at dt in college. Lovett played in 2 games. Etc. Autry is going to miss games... Pickering isn't ready to play but he's going to have to. Our dt situation has me bad afraid. We are going to have to blitz like crazy and that's how big plays occur. I know I know, I'm about to get jumped they we aren't falling off that much yada yada yada.... at dt we aren't falling off much, of a small cliff doesn't count

Autry will miss games against nobodies. He won't miss games vs teams that can exploit this. Additionally, we have 4 games for the inexperienced, but talented guys to get up to speed.

Homedawg
08-18-2019, 09:56 PM
Autry will miss games against nobodies. He won't miss games vs teams that can exploit this. Additionally, we have 4 games for the inexperienced, but talented guys to get up to speed.

Glad you feel so great......

Todd4State
08-18-2019, 10:22 PM

We know.

Homedawg
08-18-2019, 10:29 PM
We know.

The scrimmage made it worse dude. Pickering isn't ready. Ok. If you don't like the info cool. But I'm sure you know....
Eta why would you even argue w me , signed Jamal Peters

Coach007
08-18-2019, 10:30 PM

The plan seems to be a heavy rotation at Dt on 1st and 2nd down(with the main ones getting 20 to 25 snaps). And then all of our experienced Pass rushers on 3rd down.

BTW.. Nobody has suggested that the defense would not have a drop off. I have yet to see that posted anywhere.

Homedawg
08-18-2019, 10:33 PM
The plan seems to be a heavy rotation at DL on 1st and 2nd down. And then all of our experienced Pass rushers on 3rd down.

BTW.. Nobody has suggested that the defense would not have a drop off. I have yet to see that posted anywhere.
If you don't stop them from third and short there won't be a bunch of de's on the field on third down. Smh. I'll leave it alone and watch you people figure it out. Better pray Autry gets a good result or it's really bad..... signing off to the maroon glasses.

Todd4State
08-18-2019, 10:35 PM
The scrimmage made it worse dude. Pickering isn't ready. Ok. If you don't like the info cool. But I'm sure you know....
Eta why would you even argue w me , signed Jamal Peters

Making fun of one of our former players who got cut because he was injured? Classy. Pat yourself on the back.**

And if I remember correctly- you said that he wasn't that good and then moved the goal posts to him not being a NFL shutdown corner after he started for us for three years made a lot of key plays and made you look silly for three years.

As far as the DT thing goes- it's not about "liking it" or not. It's about you railing about it weekly to the point where we're all tired of hearing about it.

Also- the fact that Jamal got signed by a NFL team alone proves that you were wrong about Kivon Coman who never even got the chance at the NFL despite the fact that you insisted he was a much better player than Jamal. So congrats on making the 10 yard field goal to my 40 yard field goal on the original, original discussion- which I let slide for four years.

Coach007
08-18-2019, 10:40 PM
If you don't stop them from third and short there won't be a bunch of de's on the field on third down. Smh. I'll leave it alone and watch you people figure it out. Better pray Autry gets a good result or it's really bad..... signing off to the maroon glasses.

Well hell. That's it. I'm going to burn my tickets and not even bother cause homedawg says it's pointless. Thanks for saving me gas and food expenses this year!

KOdawg1
08-18-2019, 11:24 PM
Meh. If Autry gets suspended for the first 4 games, then it'll allow the younger guys to get their feet wet while also allowing Autry to be injury free headed into the SEC gauntlet of our schedule. You've got Lovett, Crumedy, and Kendall Jones to go along with Jackson. Then you've got Pickering and Cam Young if you have to. They're super young, but I'm not in panic mode. However, we're an injury or two away from getting even thinner. This is where getting Allen Love eligible would've been great

ShotgunDawg
08-19-2019, 08:09 AM
Glad you feel so great......

Big difference between feeling great & feeling like we are going to gutted like a Sirmon defense

TrapGame
08-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Big difference between feeling great & feeling like we are going to gutted like a Sirmon defense

I guess in Home's world the 2014 defense was pathetic. It was nowhere near 2018 level but it was considered pretty good.

Bothrops
08-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Do we know if Allen Love will get eligible anytime this season?

Coach007
08-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Has not been cleared yet

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-19-2019, 11:46 AM

Doesn't sound like it, yet Florida State gets a QB from the same school eligible no problem.

msstate7
08-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Doesn't sound like it, yet Florida State gets a QB from the same school eligible no problem.

Hopefully we getting our favor on the appeal side of suspensions

Bothrops
08-19-2019, 12:16 PM

They got an opportunity to scew us, so I guess they are taking it.

thf24
08-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Regardless of the result, it's gross, ethically bankrupt negligence on the part of the NCAA that they obviously aren't committed to giving ALL of these kids an answer soon enough not to affect their preparation and their season. It's even worse that at first glance transfers to/from blue bloods appear to get a fast pass and more favorable rulings.

BB30
08-19-2019, 01:36 PM

Thanks for so eloquently stating what many of us are thinking ha ha. I feel like we are on a never ending merry go round year after year.

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 06:30 PM
Making fun of one of our former players who got cut because he was injured? Classy. Pat yourself on the back.**

And if I remember correctly- you said that he wasn't that good and then moved the goal posts to him not being a NFL shutdown corner after he started for us for three years made a lot of key plays and made you look silly for three years.

As far as the DT thing goes- it's not about "liking it" or not. It's about you railing about it weekly to the point where we're all tired of hearing about it.

Also- the fact that Jamal got signed by a NFL team alone proves that you were wrong about Kivon Coman who never even got the chance at the NFL despite the fact that you insisted he was a much better player than Jamal. So congrats on making the 10 yard field goal to my 40 yard field goal on the original, original discussion- which I let slide for four years.

He didn't get cut Bc he was injured. But carry on w your lack of knowledge on the said player. And no, I said he would never make an nfl roster. Isais he wasn't a shutdown COLLEGE corner. And he wasn't.

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 06:34 PM
Well hell. That's it. I'm going to burn my tickets and not even bother cause homedawg says it's pointless. Thanks for saving me gas and food expenses this year!

I'll be at every home game. Doesn't mean I don't want to win. Sorry I didn't agree w you assessments. Which are in mars.

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 06:36 PM
I guess in Home's world the 2014 defense was pathetic. It was nowhere near 2018 level but it was considered pretty good.

Chris Jones, or anyone else close ain't lining up on the field for us at DT.

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Hopefully we getting our favor on the appeal side of suspensions

Don't get your hopes up. Guess there's always a chance.....

TrapGame
08-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Chris Jones, or anyone else close ain't lining up on the field for us at DT.

That's not the point and you know it.

BuckyIsAB****
08-19-2019, 08:28 PM
He didn't get cut Bc he was injured. But carry on w your lack of knowledge on the said player. And no, I said he would never make an nfl roster. Isais he wasn't a shutdown COLLEGE corner. And he wasn't.

Im not with you on the DTs being terrible but I am with you on Jamal Peters...he was more of a look at me guy than he was a player. Immensely talented but a headcase. I can tell you that he wasnt very well liked in the locker room. All the bashing Fitz gets is funny compared to Peters bc to me it was obvious which one played harder every down.

And before I get slammed for knocking Peters, he had a good college career and was far from a bust. He had some great moments for us and when he wanted to be he was great

MrKotter
08-19-2019, 08:33 PM
I'll be at every home game. Doesn't mean I don't want to win. Sorry I didn't agree w you assessments. Which are in mars.

Using terms like ?scary? and ?bad afraid? is a bit on the dramatic side and ridiculous. If an incompetent fool like Sirmon was running the show I could somewhat see why you were having this foolish meltdown but we don?t have a moron calling the D so relax

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 08:52 PM

Peters (undisclosed) was waived by the Colts on Tuesday with an injury settlement.

Well then you need to tell CBS sports that you know more than them or tell them that they are lying.** I have a feeling that they will be just as impressed with your football knowledge as I am. Which is not very much at all. We'll have to just agree to disagree about Peters being a good player. I'm pretty sure if he was that bad as you claim you was everyone would have picked on him and our defense wouldn't have been number one in the country- especially with Dantzler on the other side. But that wasn't the case.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2180676/jamal-peters

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 08:59 PM
Im not with you on the DTs being terrible but I am with you on Jamal Peters...he was more of a look at me guy than he was a player. Immensely talented but a headcase. I can tell you that he wasnt very well liked in the locker room. All the bashing Fitz gets is funny compared to Peters bc to me it was obvious which one played harder every down.

And before I get slammed for knocking Peters, he had a good college career and was far from a bust. He had some great moments for us and when he wanted to be he was great

This is a reasonable assessment.

Using terms like ?scary? and ?bad afraid? is a bit on the dramatic side and ridiculous. If an incompetent fool like Sirmon was running the show I could somewhat see why you were having this foolish meltdown but we don?t have a moron calling the D so relax

This is the real equalizer to me. How Shoop can work around our DT's. Based on his career I have a lot of faith in him doing just that. The good news is we have some DE's that have been pretty productive and our LB's are very good as are our CB's and S's. And even at DT we have a couple of seniors in Autry and Kendall Jones to go along with the inexperienced guys of which three were four star guys coming out of high school. There isn't a Jeffrey Simmons there- but there are some things that can be pieced together and work out OK over the long haul.

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 09:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSQLLhgm6ys

I just wanted to show everyone what isn't good enough for Homedawg. Which should make everyone feel better about our DT situation.

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Peters (undisclosed) was waived by the Colts on Tuesday with an injury settlement.

Well then you need to tell CBS sports that you know more than them or tell them that they are lying.** I have a feeling that they will be just as impressed with your football knowledge as I am. Which is not very much at all. We'll have to just agree to disagree about Peters being a good player. I'm pretty sure if he was that bad as you claim you was everyone would have picked on him and our defense wouldn't have been number one in the country- especially with Dantzler on the other side. But that wasn't the case.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2180676/jamal-peters

Look dude go w whatever. He was an undrafted FA. He sucked at the combine. I had to listen to your bullshit all year last year after I said he wouldn't make it, every time a mock draft came out. Now just say it you were wrong. I was right. It's ok. I don't expect it. You've been crickets since he went undrafted. The guy never was an nfl player. Ever!!!

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 09:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSQLLhgm6ys

I just wanted to show everyone what isn't good enough for Homedawg. Which should make everyone feel better about our DT situation.

Y'all can listen to me who was right, Jamal Peters wasn't isn't and never will be an nfl player. Or listen Todd. Mr self no it all on not only baseball but every sport. Who doesn't know or talk to a single person player or staff member. So Todd how many games and how many players are going to be suspended for nick gate only?? Tell everyone...... I'm sure you will follow with an eloquent, i believe or it's my guess. When 90% you don't know what you are talking about. A broken Clock is right twice a day. Carry on..
ETA Peters was an ok college player that's it. But that's the best highlights he has in 4 years. Wow. Just wow.

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 09:25 PM

Well if 4 fr and a rs soph who has never played a down in college doesn't scare you a little as a state fan then you are brave. I do like Shoop. He's good. He will get the most out of what he has. I'll give you that.

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Never said they were terrible. I said multiple times they are unproven, inexperienced and in some cases not close to being ready. But we have no choice. I've said it's going to be a major drop off. And it will be.

Coach34
08-19-2019, 09:33 PM
We are going to get raped by LSU and Auburn inside with the DT's we have. Doesnt matter who we slide inside. Also makes our job at Texas A&M alot tougher. Gives Tenn the upper hand. We may be 4-4 heading into the last 1/3 of the schedule. And this is saying we hold serve vs K-St and Kentucky While being soft in the middle. Kentucky is not going to be too bad this year.

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 09:33 PM
Look dude go w whatever. He was an undrafted FA. He sucked at the combine. I had to listen to your bullshit all year last year after I said he wouldn't make it, every time a mock draft came out. Now just say it you were wrong. I was right. It's ok. I don't expect it. You've been crickets since he went undrafted. The guy never was an nfl player. Ever!!!

LOL- you can't even keep your own argument straight. That happens when you move goalposts and are proven wrong Will James.

You certainly haven't had to "listen to my bullshit" as much as the entire board has had to listen to your weekly reminder that our DT's are an issue. Of which I am 100% certain was 1/5 as many times and probably less than as many times as you have called out our DT's.

In fact the only time I ever brought Peters up was after you insisted that he sucked- and made you look silly repeatedly. I'm sorry the guy had a really good career here. And apparently someone with the Colts agreed with me- and dude I will go with whatever the NFL says over you. Although we all know that you think you know more than any of them- including Bill Bellichick. At the expense of a player that was injured no less.

The fact of the matter is you are one of the worst football posters on here. But way too narcissistic to realize it.

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Y'all can listen to me who was right, Jamal Peters wasn't isn't and never will be an nfl player. Or listen Todd. Mr self no it all on not only baseball but every sport. Who doesn't know or talk to a single person player or staff member. So Todd how many games and how many players are going to be suspended for nick gate only?? Tell everyone...... I'm sure you will follow with an eloquent, i believe or it's my guess. When 90% you don't know what you are talking about. A broken Clock is right twice a day. Carry on..
ETA Peters was an ok college player that's it. But that's the best highlights he has in 4 years. Wow. Just wow.

Please link the Kivon Coman highlight tape that you were so impressed with which again was the original- original argument so that we can compare?

I'm sure someone on the staff can get it for you since it's not on youtube since bad players don't have a highlight tape.

I like how you are trying to devolve this into "but I know people" about a totally different topic since you are wrong about this like that will somehow make people on here think you know something and make your wrong opinion somehow relevant.

BuckyIsAB****
08-19-2019, 09:47 PM
We are going to get raped by LSU and Auburn inside with the DT's we have. Doesnt matter who we slide inside. Also makes our job at Texas A&M alot tougher. Gives Tenn the upper hand. We may be 4-4 heading into the last 1/3 of the schedule. And this is saying we hold serve vs K-St and Kentucky While being soft in the middle. Kentucky is not going to be too bad this year.

I will bet you all the coffee in the world that we are better than 4-4 going into the last 1/3

RezDog7
08-19-2019, 09:48 PM

Shouldn't you be drawing up plays for your pee wee flag football team in Podunk MS?

KOdawg1
08-19-2019, 10:06 PM

"Hunter Renfroe won't play in 162 MLB games in his career."

bulldawg28
08-19-2019, 10:08 PM

Bro, stay off the laced weed. Every team has some sort of deficiency that doesn't mean ultimate doom. That's where coaching comes in.

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Bro, stay off the laced weed. Every team has some sort of deficiency that doesn't mean ultimate doom. That's where coaching comes in.

I think as fans we sometimes focus so much on MSU that we forget that the other teams lose players and have question marks too.

Except for Ole Miss.**

BayouDawg
08-19-2019, 10:17 PM

I think we?ll hold our own against the barners and the coonasses. We wont be dominant like last year but we will have talented young players. If the offense cant stay on the field then I could see them wearing us down in the second half due to lack of depth.

Jarius
08-19-2019, 10:19 PM

Can we get an official prediction from you or are you just going to make a schizophrenic post every week with a new narrative on how the year will play out so you can say I told you so no matter what happens?

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 11:11 PM
Please link the Kivon Coman highlight tape that you were so impressed with which again was the original- original argument so that we can compare?

I'm sure someone on the staff can get it for you since it's not on youtube since bad players don't have a highlight tape.

I like how you are trying to devolve this into "but I know people" about a totally different topic since you are wrong about this like that will somehow make people on here think you know something and make your wrong opinion somehow relevant.

So Peters is in the nfl?? I missed it. Coman was the best we had. You gonna dog a guy who gave his life to our program?? Works both ways. I repeat coman was the best we had!! Every coach on staff agreed. Not one not two but 3 defensive coordinations agreed. So while you disagree, I'll side w them. And Peters still isn't in the nfl. I let you slide off that bullshit since the draft. Well that's over bro

dantheman4248
08-19-2019, 11:15 PM
it’s hilarious to think msu will have a bad dline. especially under the guy considered a top 5 dc in the nation. the state of mississippi produces big boys like no other. you’re kidding if you think we’ll ever be so weak there that that’s why we lose a game.

bulldawg28
08-19-2019, 11:17 PM

Peters was a natural at safety. He was playing out of position imo.

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 11:20 PM
LOL- you can't even keep your own argument straight. That happens when you move goalposts and are proven wrong Will James.

You certainly haven't had to "listen to my bullshit" as much as the entire board has had to listen to your weekly reminder that our DT's are an issue. Of which I am 100% certain was 1/5 as many times and probably less than as many times as you have called out our DT's.

In fact the only time I ever brought Peters up was after you insisted that he sucked- and made you look silly repeatedly. I'm sorry the guy had a really good career here. And apparently someone with the Colts agreed with me- and dude I will go with whatever the NFL says over you. Although we all know that you think you know more than any of them- including Bill Bellichick. At the expense of a player that was injured no less.

The fact of the matter is you are one of the worst football posters on here. But way too narcissistic to realize it.

Well I'll just take my toys and go home the flute player told me I was a bad poster***. Haha

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 11:22 PM
Peters was a natural at safety. He was playing out of position imo.

Body wise agree. But he never comprehended the coverages whole there. Now maybe, if we had stuck him there and left him there, maybe. But he had his shot there

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 11:24 PM
it’s hilarious to think msu will have a bad dline. especially under the guy considered a top 5 dc in the nation. the state of mississippi produces big boys like no other. you’re kidding if you think we’ll ever be so weak there that that’s why we lose a game.

See this is how things get spun. Bad DL?? No. Major drop at dt. Yes...now we will benefit from it in two years. But now, which is what is important, it's going to be a struggle.

dantheman4248
08-19-2019, 11:26 PM
See this is how things get spun. Bad DL?? No. Major drop at dt. Yes...now we will benefit from it in two years. But now, which is what is important, it's going to be a struggle.

It won’t be all peaches and cream but to think we’d struggle with KSU, UK, or Tenn because of DL is down right laughable. Shows that coach34 needs to turn off the playstation and his 34 year dynasty and learn how the real world of recruiting and football works. I’m not saying we’ll have the best DL again but we won’t have slouches.

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 11:35 PM
So Peters is in the nfl?? I missed it. Coman was the best we had. You gonna dog a guy who gave his life to our program?? Works both ways. I repeat coman was the best we had!! Every coach on staff agreed. Not one not two but 3 defensive coordinations agreed. So while you disagree, I'll side w them. And Peters still isn't in the nfl. I let you slide off that bullshit since the draft. Well that's over bro

Is this the same staff that started Zach Jackson and ran Brandon Holloway up the middle?

Which three DC's? Because Buckley (who played CB in the NFL) found a way to get both Coman and Peters on the field at the same time in 2016. And made a pick in his first game about a week after switching over to CB from safety after Dan's BS play the upperclassmen idea finally blew up after South Alabama? So Sirmon felt like Peters was good enough to get on the field in 2016. The only other DC that Coman and Peters both played for was Manny. Collins left before Peters signed. Every coach agreed with you- and yet started him for three years including one staff that went out of their way to change his position to get him on the field?

Coman "gave his life for our program"? Was he killed during one of our games? Please. I can say with 100% certainty that had Coman had an injury that potentially ended his career the last thing on my mind would be to run to Elitedawgs and crow about how "I was right" the whole time. Especially less than a week after ISID post basically telling people to stop doing what you are trying to do right now.

And yes- Peters was in the NFL. Not long- but longer than the guy who you claimed was "better". Make of that what you will. The fact that you "let it slide" until the guy just so happens to get hurt while playing in the NFL says a lot about how "right" you were the whole time. Among other things.

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 11:40 PM
Well I'll just take my toys and go home the flute player told me I was a bad poster***. Haha

The board would definitely be better if you took your toys and left. But that's your call.

You don't really contribute much other than saying "you know/hang out with people"....and then don't provide any tangible information that's specific to the situation. Which doesn't particularly impress anyone.

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 11:44 PM
It won’t be all peaches and cream but to think we’d struggle with KSU, UK, or Tenn because of DL is down right laughable. Shows that coach34 needs to turn off the playstation and his 34 year dynasty and learn how the real world of recruiting and football works. I’m not saying we’ll have the best DL again but we won’t have slouches.

Saying that our DT's will take a step back is basically the most low hanging fruit take anyone can have about our football team at this time.

Homedawg
08-19-2019, 11:48 PM
The board would definitely be better if you took your toys and left. But that's your call.

You don't really contribute much other than saying "you know/hang out with people"....and then don't provide any tangible information that's specific to the situation. Which doesn't particularly impress anyone.

When you contribute one thing of insight, that people don't know on this board. I'll gladly step away. Until then I'll continue. Thanks dude.

Todd4State
08-20-2019, 12:50 AM
When you contribute one thing of insight, that people don't know on this board. I'll gladly step away. Until then I'll continue. Thanks dude.

Which is more insight than you provide.

Lord McBuckethead
08-20-2019, 01:12 AM

Didnt UT have 6 OL quit since last season?

timotheus
08-20-2019, 08:09 AM
The UT O linemen are mostly injuries but yes they are down 6 of em. They have lost some DL also.

Cowbell
08-20-2019, 08:23 AM

You obviously haven?t been following the o-line situation at LSU. They are likely to be less experienced across the board than we are on the D-line by that time.

Cowbell
08-20-2019, 08:27 AM

He actually has a good point. The D line is one cohesive unit and I expect our ends to make up for lack of experience inside. You can’t claim the DT situation is going to get us killed without agreeing that our online is bad as a whole.

TrapGame
08-20-2019, 08:35 AM

The Vols OL is being held together by duct tape and glue right now. C'mon man. That makes this whole post suspect to what you actually know about football.

Ari Gold
08-20-2019, 08:52 AM
I’m not trying to sugar coat this or spin it but Let’s see who we have and how well the young guys have stepped up on the DL ( esp DT) after game 4.
It has been known since this past Feb DL was going to be weakness of this years Def.
but let’s not forget we are running some really talented young kids out there . The talent is there . The experience isn’t.
Again outside of Simmons (who doesn’t come around very often) not one DT got drafted. Not saying some might make a NFL roster but no one was drafted. Also Simmons didn’t play every down... so at times last year there was a DL that didn’t have Simmons or Sweat out there.

There will be a drop off a rather large drop off at times .. But there are some talented guys that are going to be out there. It’s not like we are running walk-ons in the game to make plays

And the back 7are going to be very good.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2019, 09:12 AM
I’m not trying to sugar coat this or spin it but Let’s see who we have and how well the young guys have stepped up on the DL ( esp DT) after game 4.
It has been known since this past Feb DL was going to be weakness of this years Def.
but let’s not forget we are running some really talented young kids out there . The talent is there . The experience isn’t.
Again outside of Simmons (who doesn’t come around very often) not one DT got drafted. Not saying some might make a NFL roster but no one was drafted. Also Simmons didn’t play every down... so at times last year there was a DL that didn’t have Simmons or Sweat out there.

There will be a drop off a rather large drop off at times .. But there are some talented guys that are going to be out there. It’s not like we are running walk-ons in the game to make plays

well said....

Lets also remember that we have one hell of a DC that won't simply run the same scheme he did last year with Simmons at DT.

More than anything, I trust Shoop to be able to figure how to mask the DT as much as possible while utilizing the strengths of the LBs & secondary more.

I don't trust many coaches, but I trust Shoop

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-20-2019, 02:45 PM

Sounds like Shoop is going to rotate a lot of bodies at DT and try to keep them fresh. He'll try to limit them to 1st and 2nd down and then bring in all DE's if he can on 3rd down.

Everyone mentions Sweat and Simmons, but we're going to miss Gerri Green and the other experienced depth guys much more than people realize, especially in the locker room and practice fields. Hopefully they taught these young guns something on their way out.

msstate7
08-20-2019, 02:46 PM
Sounds like Shoop is going to rotate a lot of bodies at DT and try to keep them fresh. He'll try to limit them to 1st and 2nd down and then bring in all DE's if he can on 3rd down.

Everyone mentions Sweat and Simmons, but we're going to miss Gerri Green and the other experienced depth guys much more than people realize, especially in the locker room and practice fields. Hopefully they taught these young guns something on their way out.

Won't be able to sub against all sec teams.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Won't be able to sub against all sec teams.

We won't be able to do a lot of things against all SEC teams, but I'll trust he knows what he is doing. Like mentioned above, let's see after week 4.

msstate7
08-20-2019, 02:52 PM
We won't be able to do a lot of things against all SEC teams, but I'll trust he knows what he is doing. Like mentioned above, let's see after week 4.

Yeah, I trust shoop. He's a good coach. I just think we'll be a little outmanned upfront some this year.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I trust shoop. He's a good coach. I just think we'll be a little outmanned upfront some this year.

As strong as we were up front there were some games we got pushed around a little last year, so that's to be expected. Looking at some O-Lines we face there is the possibility we won't be as dominated as some people think.