PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun's thoughts

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Gonna give it to you short and sweet this week since no-one wants to read War and Peace about this football team.

Quote from Bum Phillips to Peter King while sitting on a horse and spitting tobacco: "Coaching is not how much you know. It's how much you can get players to do."

1. We lack fundamentals. Missed tackles, center not knowing the snap count, lots of penalties, can't kick a FG, can't catch a punt snap, etc....

2. Coaching staff lacks communication between themselves and the players. Plainly, its easy to see that these kids aren't listening or buying into what this coaching staff is selling at the moment. This team needs a come to Jesus moment.

3. Play calling doesn't matter when you lack fundamentals, can't get snap counts right, and generally can't execute. The coaches need to make things simpler and condense this week. We need to be fundamentally sound to have any chance of winning another game. Simplify and condense. Make sure we have an identity and do a few things really well.

4. Earth to Mullen: I could care less if Bell wins the punt, pass, and kick contest every week at practice. I get it for other positions, but kickers must be mentally sound to perform in games. Bell is a head case. Time to move on.

5. Dak has a tremendous future, just has to stop staring down receivers, and run the read option correctly.

7. We need to go back to the fundamentals on tackling. HUGE PROBLEM

8. Nickoe should be done as an MSU football player. Not sure what value he brings to the team.

9. Not sure what he problem with Quay is, but, going back to the communication problems, it's probably related.

OFF THE FIELD PROBLEMS:

1. PA announcer was getting names wrong all night. We need and deserve a first class atmosphere. This is unacceptable. Jameon Lewis was even said to have made a tackle tonight.

2. Screw LT or whoever in the SEC office gave us a home game, against our worst SEC opponent, during our school's fall break, on a Thursday night. You would be hard pressed to find a worse set of circumstances that any SEC football team has every had to host a game under. Tonights attendance wasn't indicative or our normal football atmosphere. The SEC really needs to look into making sure that when schools have their fall break, the football team is on the road. Surely all SEC schools don't use the same weekend for their fall break. This would be an easy fix, but one that must be noticed and realized to be fixed.

3. Is the video board for commercials or an in-game excitement builder? We use it for commercials.

4. If the SEC was going to make us play a home game during fall break, we should have played it on Saturday. The students weren't going to be there whether it was Saturday or Thursday, so at least by playing it on Saturday, the rest of the stadium would have been packed out.

Lastly, this coaching staff is really struggling right now. What is most confusing to me is that for Mullen's first 3 years, we were a fundamentally sound, hard nosed, high effort team, but now we lack all three of those and I'm not sure why. People will blame it on Mullen's lack of passion, but the root cause is something else that I can't seem to put my finger on. At some point, he lost his ability to motivate and get through to this group of players. They simply act like they don't want to play for him.

The way I see it is he's got 5 games left to prove to the MSU family that he deserves to stay. Honestly, I am rooting for him. Every game we see flashes, in the first half, of what type of team we are capable of being. Every game for a moment, I say to myself, " We are pretty good, we have talent, we are going to right this ship and become a good football team." Typically, however, Bell misses a field goal on the next drive, we have tons of penalties, mess up a protection package, and we are back to square one.

This team has potential and talent, but simply doesn't play well and lacks leadership. This team and coaching staff needs a come to Jesus moment, players only meeting, or anything else that will help everyone get on the same page. If not and we bomb these last 5 games, I am all for the boosters HUDdling up.

Mullen can do it, but he needs to get this thing back on track quick or we are about to drilled.

FlabLoser
10-25-2013, 01:47 AM
We play so well in the 1st & 2nd Q. I can't for the life of me understand how the 2nd half is so flat. I've not seen that before. Not this consistently. Every damn game we suck in the 2nd half. Bizarre.

Despite the commercials, I thought this was the video board's career high at DWS. Good music and at key times. There was only one commercial that came at a lame time in the 2nd half. But props on the music. Lots of good music tonight. And at good times. During timeouts too where the song ran a long time during a long TV timeout. Crowd singing the lyrics and stuff.

Pump the breaks on the center. We had one penalty because the center didn't know the snap count. Kudos to the ref for calling the center offsides when the other 10 guys jumped.

Yeah, Devon Bell. I don't give a shit if he is Adam Viniteri in practice. He SUCKS in games. EVERY WEEK.

Tackling? Just Nickoe Whitley. I thought we did OK otherwise. Whitley shouldn't see the field again. Hopefully he is suspended the next game for throwing punches.

DownwardDawg
10-25-2013, 06:54 AM
You left off a big one. Can we at least spell our players names correctly on the jersey? That's two games in a row and my "buddy" was laughing at us last night. He was in tears over that shit.

FISHDAWG
10-25-2013, 08:24 AM
You left off a big one. Can we at least spell our players names correctly on the jersey? That's two games in a row and my "buddy" was laughing at us last night. He was in tears over that shit.
^^^ this ^^^ ........ not exactly "relentless effort" ******

archdog
10-25-2013, 08:32 AM
I am sure its a hazing thing.

dawgs
10-25-2013, 10:42 AM
We play so well in the 1st & 2nd Q. I can't for the life of me understand how the 2nd half is so flat. I've not seen that before. Not this consistently. Every damn game we suck in the 2nd half. Bizarre.

they showed a stat last night right after halftime where we avg over 27 ppg in the 1st half and under 7 ppg in the 2nd half. pathetic.

BulldogBear
10-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Forgive me for doing this on the phone. I can't stand it. Won't be back to CPU till late tonight. And does anybody know why on phone I can only see the first 12-15 comments on a thread? Anyway, I was there last night and there was definately not 55K plus nor anything even close. Posted a pic on the twitter feed. But, it was a Thursday, fall break, etc. Not complaining about that and there was some life in crowd in second half on D. Flabloser, as I am sure you know the offensive craptitude the more the game goes on HAS to be related to running out of scripted plays and then having to start coaching. I believe TR's 3rd down run was a scripted play and I actually LIKE it if it had landed in the script on 1st or 2nd down. Very unexpected. But either coaches or Tyler (if he is allowed to on script) should have audibled or checked out with them showing blitz on that side on 3rd. They didn't stuff it because they expected it...they stuffed b/c they happened to hammer the play side & we didn't audible or have the presence of mind to counter or bootleg the other way. We won b/c of a busted coverage and a trick play! A thought for Shotgun: It seems that somewhere along the line Mullen stopped talking sh*t & generally having that swagger. Bears thought him an a-hole & a rude overconfident prick. I don't think he was overconfident like the Bears insist but just doing what was expected and "having fire." So, help me remember when it all disappeared. Did the fire go away because we got humbled some or did we get humbled because the fire went away? Did he back off b/c somebody above asked him to tone down the provacative stuff? Did Stricklin or Keenum get told by whatever boss they have to get Mullen to play nice and now you see the result on and off the field? Poison. Any thoughts and did anybody else notice? Now, on offense, I'll tell you what we are good at: Getting a first down, maybe two....then getting distracted by the nearest fire hydrant. Results: a lot of yards and stats but not enough points to rip out the jugular.

civildawg
10-25-2013, 02:21 PM
has found him another job somewhere. I mean I just cant explain why he acts like he does. I guess if I was getting paid 2.6 million a year I would be happy and not care all the time too