PDA

View Full Version : Since our media access from practice has been cut off

Todd4State
08-17-2019, 01:22 AM
Let me attempt to give y'all "the scoop".**

QB- Tommy Stevens is starting. KT will be suspended a game but which one? Who knows? Doesn't really matter.

RB- Kylin is starting, Nick Gibson is the back up and Kareem Walker will probably fall off of the planet in two weeks.

WR- We'll probably end up starting Guidry, Mitchell, and Zuber even though Payton sounds like he is possibly better. I bet Payton plays a lot though.

TE- Going to be Farrod and some Dontae Jones at times. We'll hear a lot about Spivey but the reality is his future is not now so I'm guessing we won't see him as much and we'll probably mostly forget about him until March.

OL- Everyone is at their correct position for the first time since 2014! C- Daryl Williams, LG- Parker, RG- Reese, LT- Phillips, and RT- Eiland. Remember when a lot of our fans were worried about Marcus Johnson because he went to Ole Miss? LOL.

Offensive surprise- Malik Dear. Admit it we all forgot about him. He was too big, hurt his knee, and doesn't want to play RB. But he's healthy now and is a heck of an athlete. I could see him making a play or two a game at WR which would be pleasant for our offense.

DL- We'll miss Sweat and Simmons but won't be as bad as everyone thinks. We'll be pretty decent at DE with Rivers, Spencer, Kobe and Fletcher. DT will be cobbled together with Autry being the leader (in SEC games only?) and sprinkles of Fabien Lovett, Jaden Crumedy, Cam Young, and maybe Nathan Pickering.

LB- Erroll becomes the best LB in the SEC and Leo earns his paycheck from <redacted> Ole Miss lawyer. Willie Gay is missed but silver lining- Tim Washington gets to start some his senior year in the meantime and Aaron Brule emerges some in back up situations. (Seriously- has anyone ever seen a player catch a punt that close to a punter like Brule did in the Outback Bowl? That was pretty freakish.)

CB- Cam Dantzler and Smitherman become the next legendary MSU CB duo after Smoot/Bean, Banks/Slay, and etc.

S- Brian Cole is the freak of nature we all forgot about because he was hurt last season. CJ Morgan and JaQuarius Landrews are solid coming off of strong 2018 seasons.

Defensive surprise(s)- Besides the DT's not looking like they have never seen a football before...Marcus Murphy and Jarrion Jones. I don't expect either one to start barring injuries. But both are good young athletes that I think will help out on special teams at worst- Murphy already has- and may share some time with starters by the end of the year.

K- Jace Christmann- I'm sure we'll be reading about his DUI on the front page of the Clarion-Ledger this time next year!

P- The punter from South Alabama doesn't get cleared but Tucker Day does a decent job.

KO- Scott Goodman is another guy we don't notice because he is money on KO's.

LS- Is it Nathan Swanson? I'm not sure. And if he does his job I may still not be sure in November.

H- Kody Schexnader. He's a pretty good follow on Twitter.

KR/PR- Zuber upgrades us on PR. Brian Cole and maybe Nick Gibson return KO's for us? I'd kind of like to see Lee Witherspoon do it based on his high school film. But if not we have plenty of capable guys.

Dawgfan77
08-17-2019, 07:03 AM
Goodman should get some opportunity at Punter this year

MarketingBully
08-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Nice scoop Todd. Like it!

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 09:23 AM
I think we need to let Payton actually play a few games before we crown him as the best WR.

Watch out for Tommy Champion at RG & RT. He's had a very strong camp.

Farrod & Jones are the top 2 TE's but Spivey is making it very hard to keep him off the field.

I don't expect Dear to get any meaningful snaps in SEC play.

Those young DT's are going to have to do more than sprinkle.

Defensive surprise - a non starter but Landon Guidry is back healthy & has looked very good during camp.

Brian Cole is the starting PR right now.

msstate7
08-17-2019, 09:26 AM
I think we need to let Payton actually play a few games before we crown him as the best WR.

Farrod & Jones are the top 2 TE's but Spivey is making it very hard to keep him off the field.

Defensive surprise - a non starter but Landon Guidry is back healthy & has looked very good during camp.

Interesting that Cole is the PR. Is he better at it than zuber or is zuber too important as a WR? I thought zuber had quite the reputation as a PR

Coach007
08-17-2019, 09:34 AM
I hate that I'm not seeing Whop mentioned.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Interesting that Cole is the PR. Is he better at it than zuber or is zuber too important as a WR? I thought zuber had quite the reputation as a PR

Cole is 1 of the most athletic & fastest kids on the team. I'm sure you will see both but let's not forget Cole was really good at KR last year before the injury. He knows what to do with the ball in his hand.

Ifyouonlyknew

Whop was having a good camp but he's dealing with real life situations that's bigger than football.

msbulldog
Goodman should get some opportunity at Punter this year

I think you're going to be surprised by Tucker Day this season. At the first of last season coach Jones was trying to get Tucker to do the 2 step punt, which was not his style and it hurt is distance and hang time. Toward the end of season he let Tucker go back to his 3 step that he was used to and his distance picked up, as a matter of fact he boomed them in the bowl game.

msstate7
08-17-2019, 09:37 AM
Cole is 1 of the most athletic & fastest kids on the team. I'm sure you will see both but let's not forget Cole was really good at KR last year before the injury. He knows what to do with the ball in his hand.

If we're using them there, I hope they're flat out electric. Those are 2 pretty important guys for us. I realize I'm probably too cautious

msbulldog
08-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Whop was having a good camp but he's dealing with real life situations that's bigger than football.

I will be praying that The Good Lord will help Whop with whatever personal problems he may be dealing with. I hope the rest of you would do the same.

Covercorner2
08-17-2019, 09:40 AM

Yea I think Champion has a good year. Still think you should somehow get Phillips, Champion, Williams, Reese and Eiland on the field at the same time.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Yea I think Champion has a good year. Still think you should somehow get Phillips, Champion, Williams, Reese and Eiland on the field at the same time.

We could but Parker has been legit. We have 8 OL ready to play.

msstate7
08-17-2019, 10:23 AM
We could but Parker has been legit. We have 8 OL ready to play.

Almost all of them are from hev period, which kinda shoots down the oline recruiting was garbage.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 10:26 AM
Almost all of them are from hev period, which kinda shoots down the oline recruiting was garbage.

Hev was a very good coach & developer nobody ever disputed that. The question/issue most have/had is if made quality OL with low or mid 3* imagine what he could've done with more 4* kids. Those 4* OL with Hev tutelage maybe Mullen's record against elite teams get better.

msstate7
08-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Hev was a very good coach & developer nobody ever disputed that. The question/issue most have/had is if made quality OL with low or mid 3* imagine what he could've done with more 4* kids. Those 4* OL with Hev tutelage maybe Mullen's record against elite teams get better.

That's true. This is why I think Mullen and hev MAY be better at Florida than most think.

CadaverDawg
08-17-2019, 10:28 AM

I'm glad to see you mention Guidry, he seems like a hard worker and positive attitude. I also like you mentioning Spivey making it hard to keep him off the field, which brings me to my yearly question....will we Finally make the TE's a true weekly weapon in our passing game this year? We always seem to have good pass catching TE's, yet rarely utilize them or make teams have to gameplan for them. Will that change this season?

DancingRabbit
08-17-2019, 10:33 AM

Who said anything about Hev?

BTW, what's his recruits average composite? That's the only measurement that matters.*

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 10:34 AM
That's true. This is why I think Mullen and hev MAY be better at Florida than most think.

The gap will be closer but still a gap. At Florida Hev will get low 4* but needs to get high 4* & 5* to offset the high 4* & 5* DL that UGA & Bama get. Those 2 are his competition to win the SEC & national championship they brought him to Florida for. I think Mullen can be a perennial 10 win season guy but that's not going to be enough. He's expected to be Urban Meyer or damn close to it.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 10:34 AM
I'm glad to see you mention Guidry, he seems like a hard worker and positive attitude. I also like you mentioning Spivey making it hard to keep him off the field, which brings me to my yearly question....will we Finally make the TE's a true weekly weapon in our passing game this year? We always seem to have good pass catching TE's, yet rarely utilize them or make teams have to gameplan for them. Will that change this season?

They've made an effort to involve the TE's running more 2 TE sets but it has to translate to the season.

BrunswickDawg
08-17-2019, 10:38 AM

Most of the bitching about their recruiting had to do with misses and the holes that it left in our numbers. Every year it seemed like we were a man short in the rotation - if not more. As late as last summer, I remember there being a multi-page freak out on this board about the 2020 OL and how we had a numbers problem with what Mullen and Hev had left us.

Ari Gold
08-17-2019, 10:42 AM

We will see 2 TE on the field at times. Spivey might be to talented to keep off the field .
And I agree with Green and Jones .. and if jones figures the out the other duties at TE he’s the number 1

Cole is the most athletic football player on the team... he could have a big year.

Ari Gold
08-17-2019, 10:46 AM

The jucos had nothing to do with Hev. You can thank Coach Collins ( if I’m not mistaken) for D Williams and Tbuck for Reese.
Other than that great job Hev. I guess...
if you really want to see the Hev effect. He is the starting center for LSU right now.

msstate7
08-17-2019, 10:52 AM
The jucos had nothing to do with Hev. You can thank Coach Collins ( if I’m not mistaken) for D Williams and Tbuck for Reese.
if you really want to see the Hev effect. He is the starting center for LSU right now.

I'm sure you guys feel I overblow things... well, I feel the oline recruiting has been overblown. In 2020 draft, we will have an olineman taken in the top 2 rounds for 3rd straight year. I'd like to see a list of the teams that match that

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2019, 10:58 AM

Cole is explosive & often times it's better to have a defensive player as your punt & kick returner so that you WR/RB isn't tired for the first play of the series

msu15
08-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Man I had forgot about Cushenberry. My God did Hev blow that one.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 11:09 AM
I'm sure you guys feel I overblow things... well, I feel the oline recruiting has been overblown. In 2020 draft, we will have an olineman taken in the top 2 rounds for 3rd straight year. I'd like to see a list of the teams that match that

You mean top 3 rounds for 3 straight years. Again Hev is/was a great developer. Again most people's gripe was if he could make solid OL groups out of underrated/under ranked OL imagine if he would've recruited more high caliber OL. You're a big proponent of the Composite ratings well imagine Hev at MSU with a group of OL consistently in the 88-91 range. Nobody was asking Hev to recruit the Tunsils or Little's of the world.

ETA: Rankin was a 4* #1 Juco OL in the country & Darryl Williams was a 88 Composite Top 10 center in the country. So kind of proving my point if he consistently recruited these level players the Hev hate wouldn't have been so hard. If we're counting Jenkins for Hev then he had 5 OL drafted in 10 years. That's not good.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Man I had forgot about Cushenberry. My God did Hev blow that one.

I can't blame Hev for that. We had no shot once LSU offered no matter who the OL coach was.

Coach007
08-17-2019, 11:34 AM

I know that. Posted on it.

I still hate that we are not talking about him in the context of playing time.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 11:36 AM
I know that. Posted on it.

I still hate that we are not talking about him in the context of playing time.

I know but it's Just part of it when something off the field has taken over the conversation.

Coach007
08-17-2019, 11:37 AM
The gap will be closer but still a gap. At Florida Hev will get low 4* but needs to get high 4* & 5* to offset the high 4* & 5* DL that UGA & Bama get. Those 2 are his competition to win the SEC & national championship they brought him to Florida for. I think Mullen can be a perennial 10 win season guy but that's not going to be enough. He's expected to be Urban Meyer or damn close to it.

Mullen has lost 5 4 stars off last years recruiting class.

Coach007
08-17-2019, 11:40 AM
I know but it's Just part of it when something off the field has taken over the conversation.

Like I said... It takes a man to have his priorities in order and I hope he rewarded for it in the future

Homedawg
08-17-2019, 06:43 PM
I can't blame Hev for that. We had no shot once LSU offered no matter who the OL coach was.

This. Hev messes some up to a degree but not this one.

vv83
08-17-2019, 06:57 PM

So is this something that will keep him away all season or even end his career or more of a personal issue where he needs to be with family time being?

somebodyshotmypaw
08-17-2019, 07:01 PM

Dear doesn't impress me at all. He can't play wideout at this level.

I agree about Champion pushing Eiland at RT. Don't know that I agree with him pushing Reese at RG. But he could be a nice backup to Reese.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 07:06 PM
Dear doesn't impress me at all. He can't play wideout at this level.

I agree about Champion pushing Eiland at RT. Don't know that I agree with him pushing Reese at RG. But he could be a nice backup to Reese.

Champion started at RG ahead of Reese the 1st scrimmage. So I'd say he's pushing him too.

Homedawg
08-17-2019, 07:10 PM
They've made an effort to involve the TE's running more 2 TE sets but it has to translate to the season.

His will be interesting to follow. Completely goes against Jomo's 11 personnel 99% of he time.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2019, 07:24 PM
His will be interesting to follow. Completely goes against Jomo's 11 personnel 99% of he time.

That's true. Hopefully it's a sign of someone who isn't too stubborn to try something else that could work.

DownwardDawg
08-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Man, that drove me crazy the past several years. They have been way under utilized.

Cowbell
08-17-2019, 07:45 PM
So is this something that will keep him away all season or even end his career or more of a personal issue where he needs to be with family time being?

This. Don?t want to be in the young mans business. Just want to know if we are gonna see him on the field in 19. Praying for him regardless.

Todd4State
08-17-2019, 09:17 PM
Man, that drove me crazy the past several years. They have been way under utilized.

Tight ends are always going to be a secondary option in pretty much any offense. I'm expecting 2-3 catches a game. Most of the time the ball is going to Kylin or the receivers. If Dontae Jones breaks out it could go up a little higher and having seen his athletic skill set I don't think that's totally out of the realm of possibility.

Todd4State
08-17-2019, 09:24 PM

This^

We will see 2 TE on the field at times. Spivey might be to talented to keep off the field .
And I agree with Green and Jones .. and if jones figures the out the other duties at TE he?s the number 1

Cole is the most athletic football player on the team... he could have a big year.

I'd like to see some formations with Green on the wing and Jones in the slot. To me, Green is a hybrid FB/TE/H-Back and Jones is more of a hybrid WR/TE/H-Back

You mean top 3 rounds for 3 straight years. Again Hev is/was a great developer. Again most people's gripe was if he could make solid OL groups out of underrated/under ranked OL imagine if he would've recruited more high caliber OL. You're a big proponent of the Composite ratings well imagine Hev at MSU with a group of OL consistently in the 88-91 range. Nobody was asking Hev to recruit the Tunsils or Little's of the world.

ETA: Rankin was a 4* #1 Juco OL in the country & Darryl Williams was a 88 Composite Top 10 center in the country. So kind of proving my point if he consistently recruited these level players the Hev hate wouldn't have been so hard. If we're counting Jenkins for Hev then he had 5 OL drafted in 10 years. That's not good.

This again.

Champion started at RG ahead of Reese the 1st scrimmage. So I'd say he's pushing him too.

I really like Champion a lot. I don't think I would mind him starting over Reese.

This. Don?t want to be in the young mans business. Just want to know if we are gonna see him on the field in 19. Praying for him regardless.

My guess is if the rumors are true about the length of suspensions and assuming Whop is one of those which is not a known at this point at least for me- he would at worst case scenario be available for four games during the season. Just going off of the worst case scenario of the rumors going around. And it may be true that Whop is dealing with a family issue and isn't suspended. We just don't fully know at this point.

chef dixon
08-17-2019, 09:37 PM
We have been hyping Farrod for a while now... time to put up

Todd4State
08-17-2019, 10:00 PM
We have been hyping Farrod for a while now... time to put up

I don't know that we've been hyping him. I think everyone recognizes that he is a hard worker that does things the right way and is also a fairly productive player given his skill set. Dontae Jones has a much higher ceiling though.

Bdawg
08-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Tight ends are always going to be a secondary option in pretty much any offense. I'm expecting 2-3 catches a game. Most of the time the ball is going to Kylin or the receivers. If Dontae Jones breaks out it could go up a little higher and having seen his athletic skill set I don't think that's totally out of the realm of possibility.

Pretty sure Joe had a TE over 50 catches at Penn State. So if our TEs are good enough, I expect them to be utilized. Dan did a horrible job using them. Just another weapon in the arsenal that should be used somehow. And at least make other defenses prepare for covering them too.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-17-2019, 10:15 PM

He gone

somebodyshotmypaw
08-17-2019, 10:23 PM
He gone

I beginning to think Whop won't be back. If he does return, he might redshirt. This is because of the addition of Zuber and Javonta Payton, combined with the practices that Whop has missed. But I think odds are against him returning.

KOdawg1
08-17-2019, 10:26 PM
I beginning to think Whop won't be back. If he does return, he might redshirt. This is because of the addition of Zuber and Javonta Payton, combined with the practices that Whop has missed. But I think odds are against him returning.

He's apparently got some personal stuff going on that's deeper than football. My thoughts and prayers are with Whop during what has to be a difficult time for him.

Todd4State
08-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Pretty sure Joe had a TE over 50 catches at Penn State. So if our TEs are good enough, I expect them to be utilized. Dan did a horrible job using them. Just another weapon in the arsenal that should be used somehow. And at least make other defenses prepare for covering them too.

That could happen IF Dontae Jones busts out this year which is what happened with Mike Giseki at Penn State. I'm just not totally sold on that happening this year with Green likely to start. But I also don't think it's out of the realm possibility either. 50 catches would essentially be four receptions a game for the TE. I do agree that they should be used more/better. Dan didn't really use most of our personnel like he should- unless it was the QB running the ball. I think he was just ultra conservative and it was very difficult for him to trust the other players on the team.

Todd4State
08-17-2019, 10:38 PM

If it's a family issue coming back to the team may be more therapeutic than not when the time is right for him to come back.