PDA

View Full Version : Different QB, same result.

Coach007
10-25-2013, 01:17 AM
I'm going out on a limb here and say this won't be well received. That's ok. I'm not known for sugar coating things.

We, baring a all time high performance, will not win enough games to go to a bowl with Dak at QB. It won't happen. He made bad reads, he made late reads, and he missed open guys. UK did what all other teams are going to do. Those teams are much better too. UK ranked 92 in the country in defense, and they were smart enough to go after the run of Dak. They rank 107th in rush defense. 110th in passing efficiency defense. We had 2 weeks to prepare with Dak as the starter.

The results, not flattering at all. We have the same results as Russell against UK.. UK!

Here's the over all point. Yes Dak was forced to throw more. Yes, he did well enough to make it happen, but it was against the 110th ranked passing D. Not only that, drives would have been killed if not for chance. He should have been picked 2 times. UK is SLOW. That's why they are not that good on defense.

I don't see Russell fairing any better. He will fail because of coaching. Dak will fail because of coaching and being forced to throw.

I don't see any other wins on our schedule right now. Maybe Arkansas.

FlabLoser
10-25-2013, 01:19 AM
How many games has Dak started? I think he is getting better every game.

I am a lot more concerned about us playing like uninspired dung beetles in 2nd halves.

Coach007
10-25-2013, 01:39 AM
How many games has Dak started? I think he is getting better every game.

I am a lot more concerned about us playing like uninspired dung beetles in 2nd halves.

No he's not. UK should have never ever been in this game. Dak had 33 yards rushing in 16 attempts against a horrible rush defense. He did manage to throw a lot, and complete many of them. But it was against the 110th ranked passing eff defense. That's in line with past performances agaibst troy and alcorn state. South Carolina is not troy. Bama is not alcorn st. A & M has a bad defense, the issue is so do we. They will put up points. UM, forget about it. Ark, maybe.

At this point, Russell isn't the answer either. Coaching change... that's it.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-25-2013, 07:19 AM
I'm going out on a limb here and say this won't be well received. That's ok. I'm not known for sugar coating things.

We, baring a all time high performance, will not win enough games to go to a bowl with Dak at QB. It won't happen. He made bad reads, he made late reads, and he missed open guys. UK did what all other teams are going to do. Those teams are much better too. UK ranked 92 in the country in defense, and they were smart enough to go after the run of Dak. They rank 107th in rush defense. 110th in passing efficiency defense. We had 2 weeks to prepare with Dak as the starter.

The results, not flattering at all. We have the same results as Russell against UK.. UK!

Here's the over all point. Yes Dak was forced to throw more. Yes, he did well enough to make it happen, but it was against the 110th ranked passing D. Not only that, drives would have been killed if not for chance. He should have been picked 2 times. UK is SLOW. That's why they are not that good on defense.

I don't see Russell fairing any better. He will fail because of coaching. Dak will fail because of coaching and being forced to throw.

I was happy with the way Dak played. I was wondering if the coaches told him to work on his passing more instead of running. Or they just told him not to run to avoid getting hurt. He was a bright spot in the game though.

codeDawg
10-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Dak had 33 yards rushing in 16 attempts

Those rushing numbers included several bad sacks. You can get on him about giving up sacks, but to reference this stat as a reflection of his running is not correct. He ran for several fist downs we would not have had otherwise.

DownwardDawg
10-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Dak's issues can be fixed by watching game film and good coaching by Koennig. Koennig seems to be a pretty good QB coach based on what he did with Relf. Dak throws the ball too hard on the short routes and screen passes. He's making bad reads in the run game but that can be fixed.

FISHDAWG
10-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Fran Tarkenton couldn't perform behind this OL **

starkvegasdawg
10-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Did you consider had TR been in the game that first series that we would have been sacked about 5 times instead of escaping and throwing that long TD pass? TR may have a better and more accurate arm but he is about as mobile in the pocket as a garden slug. Dak's mobility is what gives him the edge. His passing is improving. Yes, he missed some easy passes but he also hit a couple of very pretty touch passes over the middle...including the TD pass to Lewis in the 2nd half. I forgot how many yards passing he ended up with but well over 200. Also, you think TR is athletic enough to catch that pass from Lewis like Dak did? I don't think so. I think had TR played the whole game we probably lose...or at least win by no bigger a margin.

Dawgface
10-25-2013, 08:10 AM
I agree with not going to a bowl this year and we need a coaching change. But there are many positives with Dak. He's not perfect at this point and may never be. But better than most of the crap QB's we have had over the years.

MadDawg
10-25-2013, 08:19 AM
I totally agree. We won the game last night because of Dak. We almost lost the game last night because of Dak. The reaction to this game would be completely different if Russell had played the whole game.

Thick
10-25-2013, 08:22 AM

I have no idea what rock you crawled out from under, but Dak is not the problem. He made a few decisions throwing the ball, and a few bad reads, but our passing issues are play calling.

Example on the 4 and 9 play where Dak was sacked, UK was bringing the house. We ran deep routes that had no time to develop, if we check down to a quick slant...it's 6 because the middle of the field was naked! How many balls hit M. Johnson square in the hands that he dropped....3 to be exact!

How many times are we going to feed Perkins the ball while we let Griffin, JRob, and Shump waste away on the sidelines? Why don't we put them in the diamond formation and ram down people's holes? Why do we come out in the second half and pass the ball 8 out of 10 plays instead of run it down their throats?

It's coaching, not Dak....period. The facts are that our staff makes poor decisions in play selection and player personnel. Who's going to put us in the best position to win Tyler or Dak?
ANSWER: DAK!!! If our offensive line was as good as LSU or Bama, I would say either one, but with our line you have to have a QB that can pressure a defense with his legs. That's not Tyler!

What's going to happen when Whitley starts the rest of the season? You going to blame Dak? He singlehandedly cost us 3 last night, and Bell cost 2. Why do they continue to play? Ask Dan, not Dak?

Technetium
10-25-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm of the opinion that we should have at least 1 WR running a quick, check-down type route on every passing play. Both Dak and TR seem to freeze when teams bring the house and blast through the OL. If they knew exactly where to dump the ball on those types of plays, we might avoid the big sacks. You have to make defenses pay for bringing 6 guys on a blitz by completing a quick pass behind them and gaining yards after the catch.

Coach007
10-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Dak is a problem. Like it or not. I'm looking at the real picture of teams with a decent or real defense. Not the UKs or Alcorns. His passing issues are not due to play calling. If you are going to suggest that, then why is it that Russell is completing his passes at a much higher rate?

On your example, it's Dak's job to see the blitz and adjust.

Your assumption is that Dak is a true dual threat. He's not. He's less than 50% against ranked teams or teams with a defense. Remove the teams without a defense or lower tier and that's what you get. Isn't that the issue that we have seen over and over? We aren't beating ranked teams? It's because of Russell. He takes too many sacks right?

You saw CDM make a half time adjustment to what all teams are moving to do in the 2nd half with Dak in. He passed it 5 times to 1 rush in the opening drive. The second drive 4 passes to 2 rushes with Dak gaining 0 yards on his rush attempt. There is a reason for that too. Teams are adjusting to stop him from running because they don't feel he is a passing threat.

I have no idea what rock you crawled out from under, but Dak is not the problem. He made a few decisions throwing the ball, and a few bad reads, but our passing issues are play calling.

Example on the 4 and 9 play where Dak was sacked, UK was bringing the house. We ran deep routes that had no time to develop, if we check down to a quick slant...it's 6 because the middle of the field was naked! How many balls hit M. Johnson square in the hands that he dropped....3 to be exact!

How many times are we going to feed Perkins the ball while we let Griffin, JRob, and Shump waste away on the sidelines? Why don't we put them in the diamond formation and ram down people's holes? Why do we come out in the second half and pass the ball 8 out of 10 plays instead of run it down their throats?

It's coaching, not Dak....period. The facts are that our staff makes poor decisions in play selection and player personnel. Who's going to put us in the best position to win Tyler or Dak?
ANSWER: DAK!!! If our offensive line was as good as LSU or Bama, I would say either one, but with our line you have to have a QB that can pressure a defense with his legs. That's not Tyler!

What's going to happen when Whitley starts the rest of the season? You going to blame Dak? He singlehandedly cost us 3 last night, and Bell cost 2. Why do they continue to play? Ask Dan, not Dak?

Coach007
10-28-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm of the opinion that we should have at least 1 WR running a quick, check-down type route on every passing play. Both Dak and TR seem to freeze when teams bring the house and blast through the OL. If they knew exactly where to dump the ball on those types of plays, we might avoid the big sacks. You have to make defenses pay for bringing 6 guys on a blitz by completing a quick pass behind them and gaining yards after the catch.

We do! Watch the Ok St game. Tyler checked it. That gave him 2 options. Lewis and Perkins. Russell actually made the right call. There was no time to turn to Lewis, Perkins failed to make contact on the blitzer.

MadDawg
10-28-2013, 12:03 PM
If Tyler Russell had played the entire game, and the results were exactly the same, the mantra this week would be that Tyler sucks and we will never win with him.

msstate7
10-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Dak is a problem. Like it or not. I'm looking at the real picture of teams with a decent or real defense. Not the UKs or Alcorns. His passing issues are not due to play calling. If you are going to suggest that, then why is it that Russell is completing his passes at a much higher rate?

On your example, it's Dak's job to see the blitz and adjust.

Your assumption is that Dak is a true dual threat. He's not. He's less than 50% against ranked teams or teams with a defense. Remove the teams without a defense or lower tier and that's what you get. Isn't that the issue that we have seen over and over? We aren't beating ranked teams? It's because of Russell. He takes too many sacks right?

You saw CDM make a half time adjustment to what all teams are moving to do in the 2nd half with Dak in. He passed it 5 times to 1 rush in the opening drive. The second drive 4 passes to 2 rushes with Dak gaining 0 yards on his rush attempt. There is a reason for that too. Teams are adjusting to stop him from running because they don't feel he is a passing threat.

Teddy bridgewater vs Kentucky:
16-28 250 yds 1 td

Dak vs Kentucky:
23-34 268 yds 2 tds

Louisville should bench bridgewater for not completing every pass against that hs (Kentucky) defense**

There's some issues with this team, but dak isn't one of them. You must have an axe to grind...

Coach34
10-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Coach is a troll from the SECRant

nice job of putting him in his place msstate7