PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Late Better Than Never Edition

BeastMan
08-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Really busy night but here it is. Caught a few bass this morning and had a crazy work day in a good way. My dad is in South Car bow hunting and missed a velvet buck today. He's sick about it.

SpeckleDawg
08-16-2019, 09:22 PM
Caught some reds, but ran out of time to do much with them tonight. Grilled deer sausage while cleaning fish and just snacking. Maker's with my snacks.

https://i.postimg.cc/GhfQtLJ8/7-B015-BCA-87-C5-41-E6-B064-50947-B49-D7-AF.jpg

Howboutdemdogs
08-17-2019, 07:45 AM
Sweet Spec!

SpeckleDawg
08-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Redfish dip, steaks, saut?ed shrimp and potatoes. I'm stuffed and sipping on a cab sav while watching another great sunset this week.

This was Thursday evening, looking from Pass to BSL.

https://i.postimg.cc/Hnz87RYj/768-FFF55-6-AB6-48-C8-ABF0-1-B0-DF5584-C1-B.jpg

BeastMan
08-17-2019, 09:19 PM
Very nice speck. I felt a lil cruddy so I’ve been laying around all weekend. Wide and kids left the house and I just stayed home resting.

Uncle Ruckus
08-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Redfish dip, steaks, saut?ed shrimp and potatoes. I'm stuffed and sipping on a cab sav while watching another great sunset this week.

This was Thursday evening, looking from Pass to BSL.

https://i.postimg.cc/Hnz87RYj/768-FFF55-6-AB6-48-C8-ABF0-1-B0-DF5584-C1-B.jpg

If that’s where your property lies, you’ve probably watched me fish those pylons a dozen times

SpeckleDawg
08-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Not mine. That's just from the launch.

BeastMan
08-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Last night I ate a sandwich and watched ufc 241. Incredible action. Tonight I’m doing some prime sirloins I was given to try out during the week. Should be good

Prediction? Pain.
08-19-2019, 11:29 AM
So this happened Saturday:

https://i.postimg.cc/63rWT7Sj/IMG-20190817-145518.jpg

Gathered with some friends in Huntsville for a whisky jamboree. Early afternoon session was a semi-planned flight of all the Irish and Scottish stuff, while the after-dinner round was a bourbon free-for-all. I think roughly 44 unique whiskies in all.

Even though I'm a relative newcomer to the old world whisky, I found myself more interested in it than many of the bourbons. Maybe because of the diversity of flavors possible when you let the distillers play around with barrel finishing? Good bourbon's great and all, but if it's straight stuff, there's only so many different flavor profiles, you know?

Random takeways:

Duality Double Malt, a half-malted-rye, half-wood-smoked-malted-barely whisky from a distillery in Atlanta that my wife bought me as a present earlier this year, is really interesting. We had it at the end of the Irish and Scottish round (after we had our lone Islay offering, Laphroaig 10-year cask strength) and none of us were sure what to make of it. On the nose in the bottle, it was straight up butterscotch. But then in the glass, it was a weird combination of things that was unlike any other whisky we had. Not nearly as assertive as you'd figure a half-rye, half-smoked-barely whisky would be, but still very flavorful. I'm eager to give it a try again soon on its own.

The high-end Jameson stuff -- 12-year and Gold Reserve, which are both out of my price range -- is pretty damn good, y'all.

The range of flavors that sherry, port, and wine finishes imparts on whiskey is impressive, even within a single distillery's stuff.

Our two blended malt scotches, Monkey Shoulder and the Naked Grouse, held their own, all things considered. Not as satisfying as the fancy stuff from Teeling, Jameson, Bushmills, or Auchentoshan, but still quite nice.

Eagle Rare is maybe the best bourbon for the money I've ever had. It's consistently incredible.

I was underwhelmed by Weller.

Stagg Jr., once watered down a bit from its super-high proof, is solid stuff.

Well-aged Dickel is, as usual, damn good stuff. A friend had a bottle of "Old Scout," which is a small sourcing brand that sourced a 13-year single barrel of Dickel for a recent release. It was good.

Oh, and yeah, that's a pink, Frozen lunch box at the end next to the Laphroaig cask strength. I had to transport cheese from a local dairy and that was the best small, insulated vessel I could find. I've got a five year old daughter who's a bad ass, so damn straight, she's rep'd at the whisky tasting.

ETA: I'm apparently somehow getting worse at posting pictures the longer I've been doing it. If the one above doesn't show up for you, here's another try:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ttqYIhNKLgdwkNGJxIGMXcDYYr7nBy_a1xuZunj24IxoVM7ULu kSoq7eNdx1sNN2MNJ1jsoINmrRBzrWr6mXizfplg1BwU07rKTd b8lhIHOCCIUDmt9j_cdL3_dO153tG6kzZ10Vh0hylSuua6I_YX AwhZviaDVnekpL0Uiruc8EmxlQ839dvTVoOPFfk8B9h6Izt6oJ 7-rEJIpps0JqeJcorAu31VR9uhSzbx-esjTlQ1ynYnEpnKMFamOwY6WL4YFAGkEyHu3nec4vwnIb3o94O NDoAQl4BvprGPM_Wl3ctHrdHehkYKQPKRNsi4h0EZM9TEO-vIjvBJBVZNpziurk8wA8NdDQg4li_WwrVMMSnwwLiuiZAcqqpT _CcCiuy4RZAVg68lKWpMx8YxwoRUa9E1bPqBHxRkt2-pTmbDxdVT2pmHT1WTPfj-NCWpwBJpoYF83BmodotJ3hzk6XBdTqYd5FnxClFmEmXNFkLgm-0ZcdSKaJLHt_mNUjU3qeAspIC5WVLOBRdpvH1V6FNfJ6dPSkui QdNPWqKf3UitmareLftNbrxOOnramlSvaAMj93J-9RPEljdY8sPDiGxmbIkxkbD0WdAj9_nT2zbkEQDe9PwWpv4OA3 i6P7zaiy_elkIKVQSyYsYIAvOVQ7iz0ZHc7EJyQe=w1081-h317-no

SpeckleDawg
08-19-2019, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a great time, but no pics seen on my end.

I use postimage.org and it works great.

Prediction? Pain.
08-19-2019, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a great time, but no pics seen on my end.

I use postimage.org and it works great.

Damnation. I can see both in my phone and computer. The first try was via the board's album feature (which I'd never tried before) and the second was via Google photos. The Google method worked great for years, but over the past six months or so, it's been screwing me.

Thanks for the postimage tip. I'll go back and try that.

SpeckleDawg
08-20-2019, 09:26 AM
I can see it now. A picture is worth a thousand...bottles.