PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard if practice is open today and if so

R2Dawg
08-16-2019, 04:25 PM
what time? I'm in town moving my daughter in tomorrow and thought I might catch some of it. Thanks.

Covercorner2
08-16-2019, 04:34 PM
what time? I'm in town moving my daughter in tomorrow and thought I might catch some of it. Thanks.

It's closed.

Jarius
08-16-2019, 04:43 PM
Tyler Horka went behind Moorhead’s back and tried to contact Michael Story for a comment on his animal cruelty story he ran yesterday (after Moorhead denied availability of Story to the media yesterday) and Moorhead got pissed and closed practices to media for the remainder of camp.

DownwardDawg
08-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Tyler Horka went behind Moorhead’s back and tried to contact Michael Story for a comment on his animal cruelty story he ran yesterday (after Moorhead denied availability of Story to the media yesterday) and Moorhead got pissed and closed practices to media for the remainder of camp.

Good. It needs to stay closed.

HoopsDawg
08-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Wow. SEC should probably step in and force coaches to open a certain amount of practices.

SmokeyDawg
08-16-2019, 06:21 PM
Horka is garbage. Send him back

msbulldog
08-16-2019, 06:24 PM
Wow. SEC should probably step in and force coaches to open a certain amount of practices.

Why?

MrKotter
08-16-2019, 06:44 PM

And what purpose would that serve?

Turfdawg67
08-16-2019, 06:55 PM

Wow. No they shouldn't.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-16-2019, 06:56 PM

I disagree. I think it's a decision that should be made by Moorhead. His bosses (Keenum and Cohen) can overrule Joe if they want. But I don't see it as an SEC issue.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-16-2019, 07:44 PM

Yeah, run that by Saban....what Horka did was unprofessional

Todd4State
08-16-2019, 08:04 PM

Good for Joe. If I'm Cohen and Keenum I'm giving Horka a warning- do it again and your credentials are gone.

Todd4State
08-16-2019, 08:06 PM

I disagree. For one- it's basically practice. There's really only so much information the coaches can really give us that is insightful. Plus the media watching practice- a lot of those guy have as much football experience as the band and the cheerleaders. Unless it's someone like Matt Wyatt there is only so much "expertise" that they can give like well so and so made a nice catch.

BiscuitEater
08-16-2019, 08:14 PM

Wrong answer .. This is on Horka, not JoeMo.

yjnkdawg
08-16-2019, 08:28 PM

Coaches are paid to win football games, and should have the power to open or close practices to whomever (media or fans) they wish.

HoopsDawg
08-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Wrong answer .. This is on Horka, not JoeMo.

I don't think it's right for JoeMo to punish all of the reporters on the beat for the action of one reporter. As for Horka, when you are running a story it is your responsibility to get a quote for the story.

JoMo is well within his right to banish Horka from practice, but banning everyone else is a dick move. These practice reports are for the fans and for the alumni.

msstate7
08-16-2019, 09:09 PM
I don't think it's right for JoeMo to punish all of the reporters on the beat for the action of one reporter. As for Horka, when you are running a story it is your responsibility to get a quote for the story.

JoMo is well within his right to banish Horka from practice, but banning everyone else is a dick move. These practice reports are for the fans and for the alumni.

The same ones that praise blocking all media will complain when we don't get good media coverage

Todd4State
08-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Nope. It's a warning for all. And it also causes pressure from his peers so that they can all do their jobs.

The same ones that praise blocking all media will complain when we don't get good media coverage

I'm for protecting the best interests of MSU over good media coverage. The majority of our fans that complain about the media is when MSU is drug through the mud- like the constant Jeffrey Simmons incident. Meanwhile Myles Hartsfield's incident is allowed to slide basically.

gravedigger
08-16-2019, 09:19 PM

So if you could lose your job because reporters released too much info on or off the record, and you could remove any doubt about that happening you would give a damn about what reporters and fans thought was fair?

I can?t figure out why anyone other than paid employees and players are ever allowed at any practice.

HoopsDawg
08-16-2019, 09:21 PM
Nope. It's a warning for all. And it also causes pressure from his peers so that they can all do their jobs.

banning just horka wouldn't have been warning enough? Sorry man, I just disagree. JoMo made an emotional decision.

HoopsDawg
08-16-2019, 09:22 PM
So if you could lose your job because reporters released too much info on or off the record, and you could remove any doubt about that happening you would give a damn about what reporters and fans thought was fair?

What kind of straw man argument are you making? Losing his job over what?

Hambone
08-16-2019, 09:36 PM
My stance is it’s his team, his rules. If the media has done some shady shit, send a message that this will not be tolerated.

Good for Joe

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-16-2019, 09:42 PM
He's been more than fair to the media. He needs to make an example to the CL that this isn't tolerated.

HoopsDawg
08-16-2019, 09:43 PM
My stance is it’s his team, his rules. If the media has done some shady shit, send a message that this will not be tolerated.

Good for Joe

I guess that's where we disagree, he's the head coach, but it's our team not his.

Todd4State
08-16-2019, 09:46 PM
banning just horka wouldn't have been warning enough? Sorry man, I just disagree. JoMo made an emotional decision.

I don't know if this was Joe's decision or MSU's. Either way- I agree that it's the right thing to do. This is on the heels of another reporter releasing that one of our kickers had gotten a DUI too because that was "news". And if the other media members were allowed to watch there is a good chance that Horka would just get info from his friends in the media and use them as "sources" which lessens the impact of what he did. Set the tone now so that it doesn't happen anymore.

I understand that they have a job to do- but it MUST be done ethically and not at the expense of MSU players or the team.

Todd4State
08-16-2019, 09:49 PM
He's been more than fair to the media. He needs to make an example to the CL that this isn't tolerated.

Exactly. He pretty much gave them access to parts of our playbook and gave them a free lesson on football- which makes them better reporters. Which I thought was a great idea.

I guess that's where we disagree, he's the head coach, but it's our team not his.

He's the CEO of the team and yes it is every bit as much his team as it is ours. We are all Bulldogs- including Moorhead. It's his job to protect the best interests of our team and the players. And again- as I said this decision could have come from MSU and not Joe.

Cowbell
08-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Good for Joe.

Schultzy
08-16-2019, 10:51 PM
This year old story would be spiked if it were about a player from our in state rival.

gravedigger
08-17-2019, 06:26 AM
What kind of straw man argument are you making? Losing his job over what?

Good heavens. You are not only oblivious to how bad the idea is in a practical sense, you think you are some how entitled to the information.

Coaches make a living by making sure the other team does not know what they are going to do or who with. They lose games and their jobs if they do.

You get the first Dunning Kruger award.

msstate7
08-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Good heavens. You are not only oblivious to how bad the idea is in a practical sense, you think you are some how entitled to the information.

Coaches make a living by making sure the other team does not know what they are going to do or who with. They lose games and their jobs if they do.

You get the first Dunning Kruger award.

You realize the scouting depts are a 1000x times better in the nfl, yet they have open practices? Take the saints... 25 total practices in preseason: 5 closed to all, 20%, 5 open to media only, 20%, 15 open to all, 60%.

I thought this was about joe being mad about a reporter going to story though. Are you saying he blocked media to prevent spying by other teams?

BuckyIsAB****
08-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Tyler Horka went behind Moorhead?s back and tried to contact Michael Story for a comment on his animal cruelty story he ran yesterday (after Moorhead denied availability of Story to the media yesterday) and Moorhead got pissed and closed practices to media for the remainder of camp.

Yeah screw that guy

gravedigger
08-17-2019, 08:47 PM
You realize the scouting depts are a 1000x times better in the nfl, yet they have open practices? Take the saints... 25 total practices in preseason: 5 closed to all, 20%, 5 open to media only, 20%, 15 open to all, 60%.

I thought this was about joe being mad about a reporter going to story though. Are you saying he blocked media to prevent spying by other teams?

The NFL is a business entity the imposes what it wants to on teams for its own marketing purposes. That is not close to the organizational structure of the sec, ncaa, and a university.

The distractions alone for student athletes with social media would render a practice almost useless. This board can?t handle the description of three dropped passes in a scrimmage. Or a 7-7 drill in a spring game.

I find it laughable that the argument is that we think it?s some sort of right to see the strategy session of a competition.

Todd4State
08-17-2019, 09:13 PM

The Saints make a lot of money charging people to go to those practices. I'm not sure if MSU could do that since I would imagine that a lot of our fans have to drive 1-2+ hours to go and I would imagine it would be mostly local people that go.

Of course personally practice doesn't really interest me that much and I probably wouldn't go to a MSU football practice if the Leo Seal complex came up to my backyard fence. I don't even like MLB spring training.

Randolph Dupree
08-17-2019, 10:46 PM

It was a good move for Joe. Here's the thing, if you talk with the guys that cover MSU they are all appreciative for the access Joe gives them and how candid he is with them. That has to be a two way street though, and they have to respect the boundaries. Obviously, in this case, Horka did not so they will all pay the price. Overall the folks that only cover MSU sports is a small group. They know each other, they eat together (sometimes), they talk, they compare notes etc. Joe taking this type of action forces them to, kind of, police themselves in a way. "One of us crosses the boundary, and we all suffer" type of thing. The same thing happened to you if you played sports, when one guy messed up everyone had to run...

Schultzy
08-17-2019, 11:57 PM
I bet more access is given to some more than others.

msstate7
08-18-2019, 12:04 AM
The NFL is a business entity the imposes what it wants to on teams for its own marketing purposes. That is not close to the organizational structure of the sec, ncaa, and a university.

The distractions alone for student athletes with social media would render a practice almost useless. This board can?t handle the description of three dropped passes in a scrimmage. Or a 7-7 drill in a spring game.

I find it laughable that the argument is that we think it?s some sort of right to see the strategy session of a competition.

This has absolutely nothing to do with your premise that joe closed practice to keep the media from spying on him. You realized how dumb that argument was and spun it.

mparkerfd20
08-18-2019, 12:24 AM
Why am I not surprised 2 of the village idiots are the dissenters in this discussion?

TaleofTwoDogs
08-18-2019, 12:45 AM
Closed practices have been around for decades. This is nothing new. College football is not the NFL. Totally different cultures.

I seen it dawg
08-18-2019, 07:39 AM

Actually until he's not here it is his team. Our team? Do i get to call some plays?

I seen it dawg
08-18-2019, 07:44 AM
The media thinks they can do whatever the hell they want. And at this point that's trying to find drama and dig until they get it facts or professionalism be damned. Shit ban them all from practice. It's not a right to get to cover practice it's a privilege. This isn't government that needs media to protect the people, which has become horseshit anyway, it's a football team. No one is entitled to be there. **** Horka if that's what he did and if I were Joe I'd ban his ass until January and make him beg to come back. CL would fire his ass bc he can't get access to the team he's supposed to cover.

I seen it dawg
08-18-2019, 07:45 AM
If horka does that at Bama he's cleaning out dumpsters for a living in 3 minutes.

gravedigger
08-18-2019, 07:55 AM
This has absolutely nothing to do with your premise that joe closed practice to keep the media from spying on him. You realized how dumb that argument was and spun it.

Now you are spinning. Joe had practice closed before Horka went to Story. My argument is that all practice should be closed and it makes no sense they are open for many reasons.

Your point is a false equivalency and I showed that, because of where the decision is made and why between nfl and ncaa.

This all stems from a society that can?t handle being told they aren?t included in something. Congratulations. You joined them.

msstate7
08-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Now you are spinning. Joe had practice closed before Horka went to Story..

So joe closed practice to all media before the Horka deal?

gravedigger
08-18-2019, 09:26 AM

Yes. They were only allowed a portion of the first part from the beginning. Scrimmages were not allowed at all.

Again, the point of contention is whether a college coach should be able to have discretion as to how much or little access they have.

One side says it should be mandated from above. One side says the coach should have full discretion.

This has never been a debate about one particular reason such as strategy of the game. That is one reason. It has to do with laws about releasing student information, disciplinary and otherwise as well as distractions and strategy.

WSOPdawg
08-18-2019, 10:10 AM
The media thinks they can do whatever the hell they want. And at this point that's trying to find drama and dig until they get it facts or professionalism be damned. Shit ban them all from practice. It's not a right to get to cover practice it's a privilege. This isn't government that needs media to protect the people, which has become horseshit anyway, it's a football team. No one is entitled to be there. **** Horka if that's what he did and if I were Joe I'd ban his ass until January and make him beg to come back. CL would fire his ass bc he can't get access to the team he's supposed to cover.

Spot on -- I've thought for a while now that the CL should have the press credentials removed anyways.

Ari Gold
08-18-2019, 10:21 AM
If horka does that at Bama he's cleaning out dumpsters for a living in 3 minutes.

Exactly..
I said months ago this guy was a bag.. If CJM made the decision to become more air tight because of this douche bag then props to Joe.

BuckyIsAB****
08-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Exactly. So next time shotgun and some others get on here bitching about how Bama has this and has that, remember this. It is our own doing some of the time. We dont live it, they do

Pollodawg
08-18-2019, 04:54 PM

?Our team?? Your career riding on the shoulders of about thirty kids? Are millions of dollars hanging in the balance for you? Moorhead can do whatever he wants with this team.

gravedigger
08-18-2019, 05:32 PM

There is also another consideration people need to think about. There is now sports betting in Mississippi. Inside info like injury and suspension can change a line drastically. It can also lead to questions of whether info is leaking on purpose to give people inside info. That is an outside force that no program wants influencing its players.

When you consider how strict our compliance department has been it is no stretch that a program needs to control everything.