PDA

View Full Version : For Jake Mangum, a season of big adjustments...

Rick Cleveland
08-16-2019, 10:11 AM
https://mississippitoday.org/2019/08/16/from-starkville-to-gotham-and-thats-not-even-mangums-biggest-adjustment/

MarketingBully
08-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Another great article Rick! Appreciate all you do!

Homedawg
08-16-2019, 11:08 AM
So much for those that still think that sec baseball is double A equivalent.... it's not.

Commercecomet24
08-16-2019, 11:18 AM
So much for those that still think that sec baseball is double A equivalent.... it's not.

Exactly. I never have understood how people can compare even the best college baseball to professional baseball. It's not really close.

Homedawg
08-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Exactly. I never have understood how people can compare even the best college baseball to professional baseball. It's not really close.

I think, and maybe I'm wrong, that people see the elite pitchers, Friday night guys, and even a lot of Saturday guys, that move up quickly in pro ball and confuse that with the entire league, day in day out. It's true we do have the most talent and our league is very tough but a ton of really good to great college players, never even make it to AA.

Commercecomet24
08-16-2019, 12:07 PM
I think, and maybe I'm wrong, that people see the elite pitchers, Friday night guys, and even a lot of Saturday guys, that move up quickly in pro ball and confuse that with the entire league, day in day out. It's true we do have the most talent and our league is very tough but a ton of really good to great college players, never even make it to AA.

I think that's a accurate assessment.

Todd4State
08-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Rookie ball to me is more like pro baseball orientation for these players than anything. They're basically getting their feet wet in the game and it's just a different environment for them.

I'd say that the SEC is more like somewhere between A ball and AA. You have a mix of a few really high end guys that can move through a system pretty quickly, you have a lot like Mangum but then you also have some guys that are good college players but aren't really pro prospects mixed in there as well. Ethan Small may move quickly- he has been dominant so far.

It's really apples and oranges because in college you have players that play together for three years and can develop chemistry with each other. College baseball is more about winning (which I like) and minor league baseball is a little more about development as a pro player. The minor leagues also have guys that just played high school baseball and then you have Latin players that are basically teenagers in some cases trying to work through things with the older and often times more developed American players.

So, yes there is more talent in MILB but it kind of just depends on where the players fall in the spectrum of their development.

AlSwearengen
08-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Unless I am misremembering, years ago MSU played the jackson Mets in an exhibition game. I don’t have any idea if the Mets played their front line guys but I remember us beating them pretty handily. I do remember they used wood bats and we used aluminum.

I know this is a single exhibition game, but thought i would add it to the discussion.