PDA

View Full Version : Dabo, the bad guy?

msstate7
08-15-2019, 09:15 PM
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/08/dabo-swinney-and-the-college-football-championship-ring.html

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2019, 10:01 PM
I certainly understand Dabo's point here, but the "good guy" thing to do would have been to just give him a ring.

There was no downside to offering Bryant a ring. I certainly get Dabo's point but at the root of his point was a vindictive heart.

With every decision, you can take the high road or you can choose the low road, and no matter how justified Dabo was in taking the road he chose, he decided to take the low road.

In the Major Leagues, if you get 1 AB or play defense for 1 pitch of a team that wins the World Series, you get a ring. That should've happened here.

SPMT
08-15-2019, 10:16 PM
No, not a bad guy!!!

Do you get a certificate for not completing a training course at your company, just because you helped a colleague study, but quit the training?

Do you get a SEAL Trident because you helped a swim buddy on an evolution but you quit and didn’t finish training?

I couldn’t fathom that Bryant would actually want a ring when he quit and left the twM.

Nomar being traded is different, though if I were him I would never accept that ring.

msstate7
08-15-2019, 10:22 PM
No, not a bad guy!!!

Do you get a certificate for not completing a training course at your company, just because you helped a colleague study, but quit the training?

Do you get a SEAL Trident because you helped a swim buddy on an evolution but you quit and didn?t finish training?

I couldn?t fathom that Bryant would actually want a ring when he quit and left the twM.

Nomar being traded is different, though if I were him I would never accept that ring.

Had kelly not helped Clemson beat aTm, they may not have played for a natty. I can see both sides.

The article went further though... the author didn't like dabo's comment about quitting before players were compensated

BeardoMSU
08-15-2019, 10:25 PM
Do you get a SEAL Trident because you helped a swim buddy on an evolution but you quit and didn’t finish training?

This isn't SEAL training, lol.....they are playing a game. Reminder: Football. Is. A. Game.

It's not life and death.

Bass Chaser
08-15-2019, 10:30 PM
C'mon 7 you're our stats guys. This is about 2 weeks old. Where have you been?

Homedawg
08-15-2019, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't have given him one. He quit. Sorry. The 5th place backup long snapper didn't quit, he gets a ring. That's my thoughts

msstate7
08-15-2019, 10:37 PM
C'mon 7 you're our stats guys. This is about 2 weeks old. Where have you been?

The article was published yesterday, so I'm only slightly behind... probably my crappy rural internet lol

msstate7
08-15-2019, 10:39 PM
"...Clemson comes into the 2019 season as the No. 1 ranked team in the country. There are several reasons for this, but the primary one is Trevor Lawrence, the long-haired, goofy, otherworldly talented quarterback who took Bryant?s job at midseason. He is only a sophomore, which means he has two more seasons as a Tiger, according to NFL draft rules. If he were eligible for the draft right now, there is no question he would be the top overall pick. But he isn?t, so he has to put tens of millions of future dollars on the line for 12 or more Saturdays next season, and then again the season after. If he suffers a career-ending injury at any point in the next two years, he will never earn a dime as a professional athlete. But he has to play anyway. Someone has to make money for Dabo Swinney. Someone has to make sure Dabo doesn?t quit college football. Someone has to keep minting those rings...."

The author doesn't like dabo haha

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2019, 10:42 PM
No, not a bad guy!!!

I couldn’t fathom that Bryant would actually want a ring when he quit and left the twM.

I agree that Bryant may not have wanted the ring and that may be how it should have gone down, but he should've been offered

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2019, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't have given him one. He quit. Sorry. The 5th place backup long snapper didn't quit, he gets a ring. That's my thoughts

And you are justified in that opinion. However, that is a vindictive decision and making vindictive decisions is almost never right.

Bass Chaser
08-15-2019, 10:48 PM
The article was published yesterday, so I'm only slightly behind... probably my crappy rural internet lol

Just messing with you. I see both sides of this one. I thought Finebaum initiated this but I'm not sure.

TUSK
08-15-2019, 10:57 PM
Just messing with you. I see both sides of this one. I thought Finebaum initiated this but I'm not sure.

He did... He had some negative things to say about Dabo for not giving Bryant a ring...

I was proud of Bryant for saying it was all a "non story"...

I'd be embarrassed to wear a ring won by a team that I'd quit on, but that's just me....

Irondawg
08-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I have to side with Dabo on this one as well as agree that Bryant shouldn't want/expect one either.

Cowbell
08-15-2019, 11:12 PM
And you are justified in that opinion. However, that is a vindictive decision and making vindictive decisions is almost never right.

You don?t get rewarded when you are not part of the team. You don?t get a bonus at the end of the year at most jobs if you only worked 4 months. Players that get traded mid season in the nfl don?t get rings if their previous team wins it all. Nothing vindictive about it. Nothing. I don?t see how anyone could make an issue out of this.

BeardoMSU
08-15-2019, 11:15 PM
Finebaum initiated this but I'm not sure.

I think we all can agree Finebaum is a giant douche. It's really baffling to me that he has been able to carve out the niche he has....

....let alone being vindicated by the SECN.

https://media.giphy.com/media/mHjBdBZuqBvJC/giphy.gif

Seriously, if those rubes ever want to be taken seriously, having that clown around does them zero favors.

Todd4State
08-15-2019, 11:23 PM
I would have let him have a ring. He was a part of the team that won the title. A big reason why he quit was because he was looking out for his career and wanted to find another place to better himself.

BeardoMSU
08-15-2019, 11:26 PM
I would have let him have a ring. He was a part of the team that won the title. A big reason why he quit was because he was looking out for his career and wanted to find another place to better himself.

Agreed. It's an easy gesture, for all involved. To do otherwise is only bitterness.

Homedawg
08-15-2019, 11:29 PM

It's not vindictive.... if you quit you don't reap the rewards.... that's how it works.

Dallas_Dawg
08-15-2019, 11:49 PM
He did... He had some negative things to say about Dabo for not giving Bryant a ring...

I was proud of Bryant for saying it was all a "non story"...

I'd be embarrassed to wear a ring won by a team that I'd quit on, but that's just me....

I'm with you (Daddio***)
The fact that Bryant cares about a ring he didn't earn speaks volumes
Dabo is right. He quit on the team that won the title

Commercecomet24
08-15-2019, 11:51 PM
I grew up being taught when you start something you finish it no matter how difficult it may be. Quitting is to easy. I guess I'm from a different era. Sorry no ring.

bulldawg28
08-16-2019, 04:55 AM
No ring you quit. Shame on Finebaum for trying to find a preseason story and put mud on Dabo's name with this.

BrunswickDawg
08-16-2019, 07:58 AM
I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit -

One of the things that people need to get used to now is that college football is big business, and with it comes business decisions. That means a lot more loyalty to self and not team. Dabo made a business decision. That was rooted in a desire to win a National Title (the goal of every team), but also enriched him personally (part of the point of the article). With the new redshirt and transfer rules, players with limited eligibility and limited exposure have to take advantage of those rules if they want to have a shot at enriching themselves by playing at the next level. Is making a business decision like taking the redshirt and moving on actually quiting under those rules? To be able to place himself at the school that made the most sense for his future, Bryant had to essentially become a free agent - which meant leaving the team. That allowed him to get ahead of any of the other transfers that he knew would be available after the season. All of that is about the business of getting himself to the next level. How is Bryant's business decision any different then Dabo's? Both were about obtaining their own goals, and that is how modern college sports works. Why should Dabo be allowed to make decisions that effect his future income, but Bryant can't?

Now - none of that is about the pettiness of who does or doesn't get a ring. But, it is about the broader concept of who we consider a quiter - which is something I think many will have to change their concept of in college sports.

RocketCityDawg
08-16-2019, 08:23 AM
I'll start by saying that I get Bryant's decision to leave and not risk blowing his red shirt. However, he quit the team during the season. If Lawrence had gotten hurt, he was not there to be the backup and help the team. This weakened the team. It's completely different than a MLB player getting traded or an NFL player that barely got to play. These situations are apples and oranges to me. Completely different. If a guy gets traded, that can help the team. If a guy doesn't get to play but is available in case of injury, that helps the team. I think it would have been dumb to give him a ring, but that's just me. I wouldn't have even considered it.

smootness
08-16-2019, 08:43 AM
This is such a manufactured story and so blown out of proportion.

Dabo did not 'announce' he wasn't giving Bryant a ring. And Bryant didn't ask for a ring. They simply gave out rings to everyone who finished last year on the team. Then a reporter asked him if they gave Bryant a ring, probably suspecting they didn't, just so he could write a story about it. Dabo was honest and explained why. Bryant himself said it wasn't really a story.

If I were in Dabo's position, I probably would have given him a ring. But I have no problem with the decision not to give him one, and I don't think it was vindictive. Again, they simply gave them to everybody who finished they year with the team. It's not like they gave Bryant a ring and then decided to take it back, and it probably wasn't even much of a decision in anyone's mind. I don't understand why people think it has to be vindictive.

Dabo did Bryant a favor by naming Lawrence the starter before he had played in more than 4 games to allow him to transfer for his last season. He could have held Bryant hostage and forced him to end his college career on the bench, making his NFL prospects much more remote. He did the right thing by Bryant, even though it meant the team would be weakened. I didn't love what he said publicly about Bryant's decision to transfer, but he still did the right thing. And actions have consequences. Bryant got to start his last year in the SEC, but it meant he gave up a potential championship ring if the team won. It's not a big deal. Yes, he helped the team the prior year and the first few games of last year, but then he left the team. It's not like he just stopped playing and was on the bench, with the team, supporting them. He fully left the team.

msstate7
08-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Reading the article, I took most the author's ire was toward dabo being totally against players being paid while he makes a fortune off the players.

chef dixon
08-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Not really related to the article but to me he is Hugh Freeze that has not got caught

Ifyouonlyknew
08-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Kelly Bryant did the right thing for HIS career. He was about to waste the last months of his career holding a clipboard. Now he gets to start at a SEC school with another chance to show that he may be a NFL QB. With Dabo's family guy persona I was somewhat surprised he didn't send Bryant a ring. This is a time filler offseason story because there's nothing else is going on.

Lord McBuckethead
08-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Agree. 100%.
If it were baseball and he was traded at the deadline, I would give him a ring as long as he didn't request the trade.

Homedawg
08-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Agree. 100%.
If it were baseball and he was traded at the deadline, I would give him a ring as long as he didn't request the trade.

Agree. It two totally different deals.

Liverpooldawg
08-16-2019, 01:32 PM
I certainly understand Dabo's point here, but the "good guy" thing to do would have been to just give him a ring.

There was no downside to offering Bryant a ring. I certainly get Dabo's point but at the root of his point was a vindictive heart.

With every decision, you can take the high road or you can choose the low road, and no matter how justified Dabo was in taking the road he chose, he decided to take the low road.

In the Major Leagues, if you get 1 AB or play defense for 1 pitch of a team that wins the World Series, you get a ring. That should've happened here.

The kid quit on them. He deserves nothing nor should he get anything. There is no high road or low road here.

chef dixon
08-16-2019, 01:39 PM
"hE qUiT oN tHeM!!!!!!!"

Lol so classic. What is he supposed to do? Get benched and sit there? No amount of effort he put in it makes him better than Trevor Lawrence. What IYOK said earlier explains it all.

fader2103
08-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Maybe ole Will Leitch (writer of the story) needs to do a little more research instead of writing opinion pieces. NCAA rule 16.1.4.2
https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=209

If I am interpreting right Kelly would not be eligible to participate in the game since he not a member of the institution that played in the game.

fader2103
08-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Kelly isn't the only player to not receive a championship ring who "was on the team" https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article233701087.html

somebodyshotmypaw
08-16-2019, 02:03 PM
serious question. Did we do any type of World Series ring or gift in 2018? If so, did Andy Cannizaro get one?

Liverpooldawg
08-16-2019, 02:12 PM
"hE qUiT oN tHeM!!!!!!!"

Lol so classic. What is he supposed to do? Get benched and sit there? No amount of effort he put in it makes him better than Trevor Lawrence. What IYOK said earlier explains it all.

He can do what he wants, but if he quit during the season he shouldn't get any reward that the team earned for the whole season. He wasn't even on the team for the game they actually got the ring for winning. Participation trophies are for losers. To his credit, the kid hasn't asked for one. A reporter created this story.

Cowbell
08-16-2019, 04:28 PM
serious question. Did we do any type of World Series ring or gift in 2018? If so, did Andy Cannizaro get one?

He wouldnt want - would slow down that texting hand.

R2Dawg
08-16-2019, 05:10 PM
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/08/dabo-swinney-and-the-college-football-championship-ring.html

In the day of everyone gets a trophy, his decision wasn't popular but I think he showed courage and did the right thing. Everyone can play the what if game all day, what if the backup had started the TAMU game; Clemson may have won by 4 TDs?

Do you get a bonus for 4th quarter of company when you quit in 3rd quarter? After all you helped setup the success for the 4th quarter results

People just don't like accountability. Give em all a trophy.