PDA

View Full Version : Dak - Turned down contract for 30m/year.

Cloak
08-12-2019, 11:38 AM
My guess is not enough guaranteed.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849302-cowboys-rumors-dak-prescott-turned-down-new-contract-worth-30m-annually

vv83
08-12-2019, 11:46 AM
My guess is not enough guaranteed.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849302-cowboys-rumors-dak-prescott-turned-down-new-contract-worth-30m-annually

Think you're right. Taking off my homer glasses, 30 mil a year sounds fair for Dak.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Guaranteed is all that matters in NFL contracts

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Without knowing the years and guaranteed money, throwing out that number is almost worthless. Also, is that number with bonuses or just straight salary? I think it was Kapernick that signed his last contract for above $20 Mil but it had almost zero guaranteed.

BeardoMSU
08-12-2019, 11:56 AM
I'd bet money this story was leaked by the Jones' as a media ploy to put pressure on Dak....people see "turned down $30 mil" and lose their shit, but the numbers that really matter (i.e., total years, and guaranteed $$) are conveniently left out of the story.

BeardoMSU
08-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Without knowing the years and guaranteed money, throwing out that number is almost worthless. Also, is that number with bonuses or just straight salary? I think it was Kapernick that signed his last contract for above $20 Mil but it had almost zero guaranteed.

Beat me to it, lol.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 12:02 PM
I'd bet money this story was leaked by the Jones' as a media ploy to put pressure on Dak....people see "turned down $30 mil" and lose their shit, but the numbers that really matter (i.e., total years, and guaranteed $$) are conveniently left out of the story.

I saw someone reply that Dak was only worth $6-8 Mil. I guess if you think someone like Brian Hoyer will lead you to NFC East titles then save that money. You won't be able to get a backup QB that can win you games under $16-20 Mil per year.

DancingRabbit
08-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Dak's agent handled Fletcher Cox' and Matt Ryan's latest contracts. He's not going to leave much on the table. NFL revenues are heading upwards ... without the gambling boost they're about to get. Cap's been going up $10 mil a year - that number is going to spike in the next few years.

Remember, 3 years ago Mike Conley inked the largest contract in NBA history? And they were able to trade that contract. Long since eclipsed and now forgotten.

There's no hurry for Dak except to get it done before the regular season starts.

BeardoMSU
08-12-2019, 12:31 PM
I saw someone reply that Dak was only worth $6-8 Mil. I guess if you think someone like Brian Hoyer will lead you to NFC East titles then save that money. You won't be able to get a backup QB that can win you games under $16-20 Mil per year.

Yeah, that's insane. People just want to shit on Dak to justify their original assessment behind him being a 4th round pick. The standard he's held to in comparison with his peers is absolutely ridiculous. People say "you take away his best o-linemen, hes not as good", "you take away his #1 WR, hes not as good", "you take away his running game, hes not as good"....lol, yeah...that applies to every QB (Rogers missed couldn't "elevate" his team to the playoffs last year...guess he sucks); this is football, not magic.

And those shit-takes refuse to take into account the full picture:

1) that prior to getting Amari and Cobb, their WR corps was bottle third of the league in terms of skill (they've also added Gallup, who I think will be a solid #2). When Cole Beasely is your best option, you've got problems.

2) that Scott Linehan was about as unimaginative a playcaller you could find, outside of the 1980s. Lets see how that offense looks now...

3) despite people labeling the Offensive Line as "one of the best in the game", the LT has been a shell of himself (with zero options to back him up), the starting RG retired before last season, and last year the all pro C missed the entire season due to illness.

Commercecomet24
08-12-2019, 01:08 PM

YES, YES, YES! Jerry been playing this game a long time. Of course he wants to make Dak look greedy and the poor ol' Cowboys are trying so hard to make him happy. Jerry propaganda.

TUSK
08-12-2019, 01:19 PM
https://youtu.be/LhI88tg1Gqg

TheLostDawg
08-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Yet they only hype Zeke up and never mention the o line when they talk about him. If they are going to say Dak is only good because the line, why isn't that the case for Zeke too?

Bothrops
08-12-2019, 02:00 PM
NFL only football fans seem to be insufferable douches.

thf24
08-12-2019, 02:47 PM
Yet they only hype Zeke up and never mention the o line when they talk about him. If they are going to say Dak is only good because the line, why isn't that the case for Zeke too?

I saw it posted somewhere a few days ago that opposing defenses loaded the box only 24% of the time against the Cowboys last year. That says one of two things; either that vaunted OL isn't forcing opposing defenses to commit much to stop the run, or, at best, the threat defenses feel from Dak vs. Zeke isn't nearly as lopsided as most seem to believe.

bulldawg28
08-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Get your money Dak!

msstate7
08-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Get your money Dak!

Asking for 40 per. Wow, I think he's begging for the cowboys to just tell him play out his contract

DancingRabbit
08-12-2019, 04:34 PM
Asking for 40 per. Wow, I think he's begging for the cowboys to just tell him play out his contract

I'm not sure how much I believe of what these "sources" are saying lately. Silly season.

That said, if you add 4 years @ $40M per, plus the year remaining, it averages out to $32.5M.

DancingRabbit
08-12-2019, 04:50 PM

bulldawg28
08-12-2019, 05:25 PM

I don't believe he's asking for that amount.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2019, 05:29 PM
Welcome to negotiations. We offer 30 well I want 40. Well let's talk & compromise.

Commercecomet24
08-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Welcome to negotiations. We offer 30 well I want 40. Well let's talk & compromise.

Yep,Negotiating 101, never take the first offer.

MetEdDawg
08-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Big QB contracts = not wanting to win a Super Bowl.

These QBs getting these massive contracts are hamstringing their organizations really badly. You get to dress 46 I believe. When you lock up $30 million per year in one guy you really have a hard time getting decent enough parts to put around that QB to win a title.

Dak, Zeke, and Cooper all getting big contracts means the Cowboys will suck.

DancingRabbit
08-12-2019, 06:23 PM

These QBs getting these massive contracts are hamstringing their organizations really badly. You get to dress 46 I believe. When you lock up $30 million per year in one guy you really have a hard time getting decent enough parts to put around that QB to win a title.

The revenue/cap numbers are changing at a faster pace.

Dak has been playing at a high level for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It's not the player's responsibility to manage cap space. For the last few years the Cowboys have actually become a very well-managed team. They will figure it out.

MetEdDawg
08-12-2019, 08:16 PM

It's not the player's responsibility to manage cap space. For the last few years the Cowboys have actually become a very well-managed team. They will figure it out.

If he wants to win championships it is. Yes Tom Brady is one of, if not the greatest of all time. But he continuously gave the Patriots favorable contract options for him so they had flexibility to get pieces they felt they needed to win. And they have.

Name me a QB in the last decade that won a super bowl AFTER they got a massive contract. It doesn't happen. These guys like Rodgers, Ryan, Wilson, Garoppolo, Stafford, Carr, Luck, Rodgers, Wentz, Newton. Those are your $100 million or more contract QBs. How many of those actually have a chance to win a Super Bowl this year? Wentz to me is the only one. The others ones don't have good enough TEAMS to win it.

Brady is worth more than he's getting and he knows that. If these QBs want to win Super Bowls they would give up their big contracts and take less. Sure it's not technically their job to manage cap space. But if they truly want to be the best they will because they best QBs have one certain thing in common. Championships

You think Dak will be remembered as anything but an average QB if he never wins a Super bowl? Or even gets to one? No. They don't have the horses to get there right now and if they have to pay Dak, Zeke, and Cooper big bucks they certainly have no shot to get there. He should take $20 million and let the team use the rest to get him the pieces they need. I would rather make less salary and have a better chance at winning championships because ultimately that's where the fame comes from.

Don't get me wrong. Love Dak. Great Bulldawg. But balking at $30 million? That's not smart if he's trying to get more.

Homedawg
08-12-2019, 08:17 PM

And they still haven't won because they had no money to get him better pieces. Paying all 3 of these guys is going to put a huge dent in their cap.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 08:23 PM
If he wants to win championships it is. Yes Tom Brady is one of, if not the greatest of all time. But he continuously gave the Patriots favorable contract options for him so they had flexibility to get pieces they felt they needed to win. And they have.

Name me a QB in the last decade that won a super bowl AFTER they got a massive contract. It doesn't happen. These guys like Rodgers, Ryan, Wilson, Garoppolo, Stafford, Carr, Luck, Rodgers, Wentz, Newton. Those are your $100 million or more contract QBs. How many of those actually have a chance to win a Super Bowl this year? Wentz to me is the only one. The others ones don't have good enough TEAMS to win it.

Brady is worth more than he's getting and he knows that. If these QBs want to win Super Bowls they would give up their big contracts and take less. Sure it's not technically their job to manage cap space. But if they truly want to be the best they will because they best QBs have one certain thing in common. Championships

You think Dak will be remembered as anything but an average QB if he never wins a Super bowl? Or even gets to one? No. They don't have the horses to get there right now and if they have to pay Dak, Zeke, and Cooper big bucks they certainly have no shot to get there. He should take $20 million and let the team use the rest to get him the pieces they need. I would rather make less salary and have a better chance at winning championships because ultimately that's where the fame comes from.

Don't get me wrong. Love Dak. Great Bulldawg. But balking at $30 million? That's not smart if he's trying to get more.

It helps that his wife makes more than any player in the league. We also only know what the Cowboys have leaked to the media. What if it is $30 Mil for 3 years with $25 Mil guaranteed? What if it is only $30 Mil if Dak wins the Superbowl MVP? Without the actual details of the contract then this is all just a guessing game.

bulldawg28
08-12-2019, 08:39 PM
And they still haven't won because they had no money to get him better pieces. Paying all 3 of these guys is going to put a huge dent in their cap.

BS. They haven't won because of coaching/management. Every team has a budget for their team. It's up to the management to get it done not players to take less money for someone else. Every job in America pays what they think you're worth. It's not Dak's fault and he's not greedy to want more. Every team has the same roster number of 53 players to work with. Management has to work the puzzle of getting the best talent available for each team. No team has equal pay for all players.

bulldawg28
08-12-2019, 08:45 PM

??? ...Stop comparing all teams to Tom Brady and the Patriots. The Patriots situation says the owner is looking out for himself more than the well being of his players. They waited until he's near retirement to pay him what he's worth.

DancingRabbit
08-12-2019, 08:47 PM

WTF does that even mean? Was Dak supposed to play for free so they could get "better pieces"? Are you a long time Cowboys fan?

DancingRabbit
08-12-2019, 08:53 PM

I just don't get so-called Bulldog fans hating that Dak deserves and will get a top 5 or top 8 type contract.

Maybe he grew up in a trailer, but Dak is smarter than you are about his business. And he's earned what he's gonna get.

msstate7
08-12-2019, 08:56 PM
I just don't get so-called Bulldog fans hating that Dak deserves and will get a top 5 or top 8 type contract.

Maybe he grew up in a trailer, but Dak is smarter than you are about his business. And he's earned what he's gonna get.

^^^ can't stand an opposing view. Jeez

MetEdDawg
08-12-2019, 09:45 PM

Well you are the one taking this personally so I'm not sure what your deal is. No one said hate. All I said was he's not going to win a Super bowl. That's fine if he takes a ton of money. Just understand the reality of the situation. He's probably not going to win a Super bowl, especially if that team tries to keep him, Zeke, and Cooper.

Not sure why fans like you do this. You get super emotionally invested when people just talk or have a discussion that might be different than "every Bulldawg should get whatever they want and if you don't agree you aren't a real Bulldawg". You mentioned trailer. No one else did. So you might want to check yourself and see who is the one looking way into someone else's finances.

BuckyIsAB****
08-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Dak has more wins, TDs, more 4th quarter comebacks and less turnovers than Goff and Wentz. He is hated on like Lebron James is hated on

Maroonthirteen
08-12-2019, 10:02 PM
I’m a huge Dak and Dallas fan. I hope Dak and Zeke gets what they deserve .... but they better get to the damn super bowl or I’ll be very disappointed.

They whole money grab from L Bell to Zeke .... has turned me back off from thenfl. Just as I had gotten back into it because of all the bulldogs in the league.

DancingRabbit
08-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Well you are the one taking this personally so I'm not sure what your deal is. No one said hate. All I said was he's not going to win a Super bowl. That's fine if he takes a ton of money. Just understand the reality of the situation. He's probably not going to win a Super bowl, especially if that team tries to keep him, Zeke, and Cooper.

Not sure why fans like you do this. You get super emotionally invested when people just talk or have a discussion that might be different than "every Bulldawg should get whatever they want and if you don't agree you aren't a real Bulldawg". You mentioned trailer. No one else did. So you might want to check yourself and see who is the one looking way into someone else's finances.

What did I say to you that was personal? You replied to me that I was flat wrong, and that you know better than Dak about how he should handle his business. That seems rather presumptuous to me, hence the trailer comment.

Did you think your opinion was something original? "Take less money, it's good for the team". Please.

Dak-haters on twitter been running Brady's deals up the flagpole all year. Who else is doing Brady deals?

Jerry hasn't won a Super Bowl in 25 years, but it hasn't been because he was saddled with a big QB contract.

Edited to add, I do apologize if I offended you.

dantheman4248
08-12-2019, 10:48 PM
@ MetEdDawg

If you seriously believed Dak turned down 30 mil / yr where it’s actually guaranteed and not heavily incentive laden... i’ve got some ocean front property in nebraska to sell you.

If I had to guess it was 150 mil / 5 yr but only the first two years guaranteed if that. So likely it increases by a percentage every year. So probably only 53 or so mil guaranteed for two years (with incentives to hit that) and then the rest isn’t guaranteed at all.

And as for worrying about his team. Lol that’s a load of malarkey the 32 richest people in the sport sold you hook line and sinker. “Loyal to the team. Help the team.” What a bunch of bs. They’ll sign players to these high $ amounts with little guarantees and cut bait or force them to restructure down when it’s convenient for the team. No one should be held to the standard Tom Brady has been. His wife has made 10X the money he has from football contracts. Unfair advantage.

MetEdDawg
08-13-2019, 05:22 AM
@ MetEdDawg

If you seriously believed Dak turned down 30 mil / yr where it’s actually guaranteed and not heavily incentive laden... i’ve got some ocean front property in nebraska to sell you.

If I had to guess it was 150 mil / 5 yr but only the first two years guaranteed if that. So likely it increases by a percentage every year. So probably only 53 or so mil guaranteed for two years (with incentives to hit that) and then the rest isn’t guaranteed at all.

And as for worrying about his team. Lol that’s a load of malarkey the 32 richest people in the sport sold you hook line and sinker. “Loyal to the team. Help the team.” What a bunch of bs. They’ll sign players to these high $ amounts with little guarantees and cut bait or force them to restructure down when it’s convenient for the team. No one should be held to the standard Tom Brady has been. His wife has made 10X the money he has from football contracts. Unfair advantage.

No one is selling me anything. I watch the NFL and it's obvious the big contract QBs aren't getting their teams close to the super bowl. I'm not sure why people say that's hating on Dak. It's the damn truth and it's simple economics.

Yes the Cowboys have been getting more out of him than the value of his contract. But when you give him $25-$30 million they don't just crap it out of a locked up safe somewhere. They have to take that from other players. Therefore you can't get as many other good players to put around Dak.

It's not rocket science folks. I'm not hating on Dak. All I said was if he wants to win a Super bowl he would take less money. I didn't judge him. I didn't say he was a bad person. I didn't even say I knew more about his finances like dancingrabbit said. But unfortunately for Dak big contract QBs don't win Super Bowls. That's fine if he takes the money. He's just not going to win a Super bowl if he does.

It's nothing against Dak. Lots of folks are in the take the money and get the most you can while you can group. I'm in the I would rather take less (because I know $20 million is tough to live on these days) and try and let my team sign other talented people to put around me. Super Bowl wins and appearances get you more fame and money than a contract.

Not sure why folks this is ground breaking observation and that I know what's best for Dak. Only one teams wins a Super Bowl and only 2 go. Look at the Cowboys and tell me they are going to win a Super bowl over the next 5 years. You can say it's Jerry Jones fault all you want. But don't lie and say it wouldn't matter if Dak took less.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 08:09 AM
https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2019/

This year Dak is 44th in QB salary. Some guys making more than him: Brian Hoyer, Lamar Jackson, Nate Sudefield, Drew Stanton, Chase Daniel, AJ McCarron, and a bunch of other guys that are a lot worse than Dak in any category you would like to put.

I agree that I don't think he is worth $40 Mil per year personally but the way NFL contracts are made, you have to get what you can because you never know when an Alex Smith injury happens.

Homedawg
08-13-2019, 08:13 AM
BS. They haven't won because of coaching/management. Every team has a budget for their team. It's up to the management to get it done not players to take less money for someone else. Every job in America pays what they think you're worth. It's not Dak's fault and he's not greedy to want more. Every team has the same roster number of 53 players to work with. Management has to work the puzzle of getting the best talent available for each team. No team has equal pay for all players.
I didn't say dak shouldn't try to get his. And basically you are agreeing w me. I said they haven't won w dak and zek being on the cheap. Now part of that is due to bad deals in the past eating up dead cap money. That's bad management as you said and that's what I'm saying.

msstate7
08-13-2019, 08:14 AM
https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2019/

This year Dak is 44th in QB salary. Some guys making more than him: Brian Hoyer, Lamar Jackson, Nate Sudefield, Drew Stanton, Chase Daniel, AJ McCarron, and a bunch of other guys that are a lot worse than Dak in any category you would like to put.

I agree that I don't think he is worth $40 Mil per year personally but the way NFL contracts are made, you have to get what you can because you never know when an Alex Smith injury happens.

By listing the ones above him, you seem to think it should be performance based. Do you think dak is a top 5 Qb?

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 08:47 AM
By listing the ones above him, you seem to think it should be performance based. Do you think dak is a top 5 Qb?

I wouldn't say that but it also depends on what you value in a QB. Do you want someone that is going to be the example you point to when you talk about your team? Someone that works harder than anyone else and motivates your team to improve. Someone that seems to give you confidence in the 4th quarter that you can win the game? By those metrics then he might be a top 5 QB.

How many QBs on that list would you rather have in the 4th quarter? I would say Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, and Big Ben. The rest are at best a push to me. As far as the rest of what I talked about, only Brady and Brees are better at everything else. If you are drafting a QB, do you take Dak, Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins, or Andrew Luck? I take Dak out of that group.

msstate7
08-13-2019, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't say that but it also depends on what you value in a QB. Do you want someone that is going to be the example you point to when you talk about your team? Someone that works harder than anyone else and motivates your team to improve. Someone that seems to give you confidence in the 4th quarter that you can win the game? By those metrics then he might be a top 5 QB.

How many QBs on that list would you rather have in the 4th quarter? I would say Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, and Big Ben. The rest are at best a push to me. As far as the rest of what I talked about, only Brady and Brees are better at everything else. If you are drafting a QB, do you take Dak, Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins, or Andrew Luck? I take Dak out of that group.

I'm more cut and dry... I want the qb that has the best passer rating/qbr.

Top qbr in 2018:
1. Mahomes
2. Brees
3. Trubisky
4. Ben
5. Luck
6. Brady

Passer rating:
1. Brees
2. Mahomes
3. Wilson
4. Ryan
5. Rivers
6. Watson

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 09:18 AM
I'm more cut and dry... I want the qb that has the best passer rating/qbr.

Top qbr in 2018:
1. Mahomes - Agree
2. Brees - Agree but he also has maybe 3-4 years left
3. Trubisky - Haven't seen enough for me personally
4. Ben Agree but see Brees, Ben also is one of the guys that has rubbed people the wrong way including that chick he sexually assaulted
5. Luck - Don't agree - I don't think he is any better at Dak at anything except getting injured
6. Brady See Brees

Passer rating:
1. Brees
2. Mahomes
3. Wilson - He is basically an older version of Dak and is getting $32-$35 Mil per year
4. Ryan _ Dude is trash in the redzone and is anticlutch in the 4th quarter
5. Rivers Puts up better passing stats. Good QB but hasn't proven much in the actual Win column. Also on the downside of his career
6. Watson - Has been good when he isn't injured so maybe

Only a few on that list I would take over Dak if I had to build a team for the long term and not just this year. It will be interesting to see what Dallas's offense looks like now that Linehan and his 80s NFL playcalling are gone.

msstate7
08-13-2019, 09:21 AM
Only a few on that list I would take over Dak if I had to build a team for the long term and not just this year. It will be interesting to see what Dallas's offense looks like now that Linehan and his 80s NFL playcalling are gone.

Man, if you can guarantee me 3-4 more good years of Brees, I'll kiss the ring for Moorhead haha. I expect this to be the last year for drew, and it saddens me

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 09:24 AM
Man, if you can guarantee me 3-4 more good years of Brees, I'll kiss the ring for Moorhead haha. I expect this to be the last year for drew, and it saddens me

I think it depends on how injury free he is and whether he either gets a ring this year or has a chance next year. Brees is my favorite non MSU player ever and I am somewhat a Falcons fan although I have never been a diehard fan of any NFL team.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-13-2019, 12:58 PM

Long term Mahomes, Luck, Watson, & Wilson would be ahead of Dak.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Long term Mahomes, Luck, Watson, & Wilson would be ahead of Dak.

It is hard to judge a QB since some benefit from an offense and great playcalling. Also if you look at Dak, last year he had a subpar Oline for most of the year and no WR that would have started for any other team. Dallas getting Cooper and Smith at LT getting healthier changed their entire Offense. When Dak is able to use his legs then he is a top 10 QB in my opinion.

bulldawg28
08-13-2019, 02:27 PM
I didn't say dak shouldn't try to get his. And basically you are agreeing w me. I said they haven't won w dak and zek being on the cheap. Now part of that is due to bad deals in the past eating up dead cap money. That's bad management as you said and that's what I'm saying.

Gotcha, I still believe Dak should get all he can. This situation is a great recruiting tool for the university right now.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-13-2019, 02:32 PM
It is hard to judge a QB since some benefit from an offense and great playcalling. Also if you look at Dak, last year he had a subpar Oline for most of the year and no WR that would have started for any other team. Dallas getting Cooper and Smith at LT getting healthier changed their entire Offense. When Dak is able to use his legs then he is a top 10 QB in my opinion.

I think Dak is in that 10-15 range of QB's. He's a very good, dependable playoff QB. He's going to get paid Top 5 QB money because it's his go around on the carousel.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 03:35 PM
I think Dak is in that 10-15 range of QB's. He's a very good, dependable playoff QB. He's going to get paid Top 5 QB money because it's his go around on the carousel.

I could agree with that.