PDA

View Full Version : Cut that Jovester sh*t out. I thought there were rules about names on this board...

MedDawg
08-11-2019, 08:07 PM
I know he started this board and I'm thankful for that, but he's making this board unreadable.

Political Hack
08-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Lol. Joe might have to earn his way out of this one. He wins 8-10 games this season and people will be happy.

msstate7
08-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Lol. Joe might have to earn his way out of this one. He wins 8-10 games this season and people will be happy.

Joe wins 8 regular season games in a not flukey way, and I will certainly change my tune on him.

Schultzy
08-11-2019, 08:18 PM
What you got against flukey?

MetEdDawg
08-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Joe wins 8 regular season games in a not flukey way, and I will certainly change my tune on him.

Would you count dropping balls like Guidry and Mitchell did flukey? I sure as hell would.

msstate7
08-11-2019, 08:20 PM
What you got against flukey?

Nothing, I'll take any wins we can get (haha). If we go into to auburn this year though and win bc they fumbled 4 straight kickoffs or something crazy like that though, I don't really see that as a sustainable way of winning. I'd certainly take it though

HoopsDawg
08-11-2019, 08:21 PM
don't take sports so seriously. It's actually pretty funny. Joe was was below average last year as an offensive coordinator.

msstate7
Would you count dropping balls like Guidry and Mitchell did flukey? I sure as hell would.

Not when they continued to do it. Would you consider fitz hitting them in the hands flukey? Lol

HoopsDawg

I call it recruiting. Thanks Dano.

msstate7
08-11-2019, 08:23 PM

Mullen catches waaay too much hell here, but wr talent is the one area where he certainly should be blamed

KOdawg1
08-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Mullen catches waaay too much hell here, but wr talent is the one area where he certainly should be blamed

And the fact that we had like 7 TEs last year

Hambone
08-11-2019, 08:36 PM
I don’t think Dan catches enough hell...... just one competent WR on last years team and we win 10 games. Further more, had he recruited WR period when he was here there would have been a good chance that when he left the cupboard wouldn’t have been so bare.

Yes, Moorhead had some head scratchers and you can’t deny that, however referring to him in any way whatsoever to Sly Croom is by far the most idiotic thing that has ever been posted on this board.

R2Dawg
08-11-2019, 08:41 PM

Yeah tend to agree a little. Not sure if he deserves after one year but what he did last year with the talent he had was almost worth 2 bad years. I still think he can get it done. Another Ned and first reader on O and the Jovester will start to stick. I'm not going there yet. I say we light it up this year on O. Don't let us down Jo.

MetEdDawg
08-11-2019, 08:54 PM

The name of the position is receiver. If you can't receive the 2 balls on a regular basis that Mitchell and Guidry missed with very limited coaching then I don't know what else to tell you.

Dropping those passes was flukey, especially when you consider some of the other much more difficult passes Mitchell and Guidry caught a few times last year.

Those 2 drops were flukey 100% if you use that as the basis of comparison for being good, which msstate 7 is. I wonder if he would rather be 7-5 with 5 solid losses or 8-4 with one of those wins being a kicker missing a 20 yard FG to lose the game to us. Is that flukey? What the hell does a flukey win look like?

It's a bullshit stance so he can play both sides to say he was right no matter what happens.

HoopsDawg
08-11-2019, 09:05 PM
The name of the position is receiver. If you can't receive the 2 balls on a regular basis that Mitchell and Guidry missed with very limited coaching then I don't know what else to tell you.

Dropping those passes was flukey, especially when you consider some of the other much more difficult passes Mitchell and Guidry caught a few times last year.

Those 2 drops were flukey 100% if you use that as the basis of comparison for being good, which msstate 7 is. I wonder if he would rather be 7-5 with 5 solid losses or 8-4 with one of those wins being a kicker missing a 20 yard FG to lose the game to us. Is that flukey? What the hell does a flukey win look like?

It's a bullshit stance so he can play both sides to say he was right no matter what happens.

Yeah, but your stance that if we make 2 catches we win is kind of BS too. AU Fumbled on the 1 inch yard line. Stidham over threw a wide open receiver. Guidry had a "flukey" catch and run vs A&M. Our offense was horrible all year.

Coach007
08-11-2019, 09:11 PM

What?? Mullen only won and average of 7

Coach007
08-11-2019, 09:11 PM

He ****in won 8 last year

Coach34
08-11-2019, 09:16 PM
He ****in won 8 last year

with a team that should have won at least 10

MetEdDawg
08-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Yeah, but your stance that if we make 2 catches we win is kind of BS too. AU Fumbled on the 1 inch yard line. Stidham over threw a wide open receiver. Guidry had a "flukey" catch and run vs A&M. Our offense was horrible all year.

Yeah you want Joe to fail for sure. Those same things you said about go for Auburn too. Just because they make those plus doesn't necessarily mean they win.

You win games and you lose games. Anyone that qualifies a win as flukey isn't looking for truth. They just want to be correct at the expense of the team.

Coach007
08-11-2019, 09:28 PM

Yeah.. we know you could have done better.... which Is why I encourage you to apply for the job.

Homedawg
08-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Would you call A&M dropping 10+ passes a fluke? Or auburn fumbling going into the end zone? It's amazing how people just remember the drops or bad stuff that happens to us. Those two games are different if those things don't happen. But I'm not giving them back.

Jack Lambert
08-11-2019, 09:49 PM

And that goes back to Mullen's WR recruiting.

Todd4State
08-11-2019, 09:53 PM

Offensive tackle?

Todd4State
08-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Would you call A&M dropping 10+ passes a fluke? Or auburn fumbling going into the end zone? It's amazing how people just remember the drops or bad stuff that happens to us. Those two games are different if those things don't happen. But I'm not giving them back.

Actually, turnovers are fairly random events so basically you probably can consider a turnover a fluke to a degree.

I do agree that our fans are more "rational" in that they sometimes put down our wins because something happened during the game like that and we capitalized on it. But the reality is that happens in a lot of games throughout the year. It's not something to be really looked down upon. Good teams create turnovers and take advantage of the other teams mistakes. And sometimes mistakes are forced by pressure which is a function of talent to a degree.

DownwardDawg
08-11-2019, 10:04 PM
I’m not getting dragged into the mud anymore.

MetEdDawg
08-11-2019, 10:05 PM

As long as Bo fumbling into the end zone to lose the Egg Bowl is a fluke too. This is so dumb. I get it. Dropped passes are part of the game. My question is why do you and others like you keep trying to qualify everything about Joe in the negative? Well other teams did this. Well it can't be a fluke win. Everything is qualified. Can't ever just look at us and say "of course we stunk on offense but there were things that players did that cost us games that might have been out of Joe's hands."

You and a few others would rather be right than MSU win. I'm sure you were one of the ones that questioned this hire and want to be proven right instead of be wrong and Joe have wild amounts of success.

For a program as bad as ours has been comparatively, I've never seen a head coach take more 1st year shit than Moorhead. When 8 wins is the most you've ever had from a first year coach in your program's history and you are pissed at that, you should re-evaluate your expectations. Sure winning 10 was possible, most likely under Mullen. But I think you want Joe to fail.

DownwardDawg
08-11-2019, 10:07 PM
I?ll never forget talking to the HS head coach that played at MSU. He told me he would never allow one of his players to go to State as long as Mullins was at State. I didn?t understand at the time, but as we continued to suck at recruiting I started understanding.

bobcat91
08-11-2019, 10:12 PM

Not his fault we were 2 dropped passes away from a 10 win season. He had a few head scratchers but was set up for a top 10 season.

Coach007
08-11-2019, 10:13 PM
As long as Bo fumbling into the end zone to lose the Egg Bowl is a fluke too. This is so dumb. I get it. Dropped passes are part of the game. My question is why do you and others like you keep trying to qualify everything about Joe in the negative? Well other teams did this. Well it can't be a fluke win. Everything is qualified. Can't ever just look at us and say "of course we stunk on offense but there were things that players did that cost us games that might have been out of Joe's hands."

You and a few others would rather be right than MSU win. I'm sure you were one of the ones that questioned this hire and want to be proven right instead of be wrong and Joe have wild amounts of success.

For a program as bad as ours has been comparatively, I've never seen a head coach take more 1st year shit than Moorhead. When 8 wins is the most you've ever had from a first year coach in your program's history and you are pissed at that, you should re-evaluate your expectations. Sure winning 10 was possible, most likely under Mullen. But I think you want Joe to fail.

Preach EV!!!! PREACH!!!!

Homedawg
08-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Actually, turnovers are fairly random events so basically you probably can consider a turnover a fluke to a degree.

I do agree that our fans are more "rational" in that they sometimes put down our wins because something happened during the game like that and we capitalized on it. But the reality is that happens in a lot of games throughout the year. It's not something to be really looked down upon. Good teams create turnovers and take advantage of the other teams mistakes. And sometimes mistakes are forced by pressure which is a function of talent to a degree.

Agree w your post.... but A&M has ten drops. No mention of that here. Why?? Bc we forget as a fan base of good fortune, and remember the bad. I'm guilty too.

msstate7
08-11-2019, 10:15 PM
I?ll never forget talking to the HS head coach that played at MSU. He told me he would never allow one of his players to go to State as long as Mullins was at State. I didn?t understand at the time, but as we continued to suck at recruiting I started understanding.

One of the world's great mysteries is how Mullen sucked so bad at recruiting, yet ended up with 3 1st rounders last season and a bunch more drafted players coming this year.

Homedawg
08-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Yes they are part of the game, but why do you and a gazillion others keep saying that we were two drops away from 10 wins then? If that's so we were 10 drops away from losing to A&M. Can't have it both ways. The part about us losing is so far from the truth. I'd way rather us win. Way more.and no I thought no was a good hire. Still might be. Great guy. Works hard. I want him to succeed more than you know. W that said last year he didn't get it done. I hope he wins 8 this year. If he does I would consider that a success.

Homedawg
08-11-2019, 10:21 PM
One of the world's great mysteries is how Mullen sucked so bad at recruiting, yet ended up with 3 1st rounders last season and a bunch more drafted players coming this year.

I honestly hope joe makes it to play w his own guys. Honestly. Two reasons, one he will have been at least successful enough for keep his job a secondly, see how dan can be blamed then. Should be great.

Bothrops
08-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Not with our passing game last year.

Todd4State
08-11-2019, 11:24 PM

Well, let me give you some insight on that. It's not a coincidence that they were all on the opposite side of the ball from the one that the Country Club recruited.

The reality of recruiting at the end of the day is it comes back to roost three-five years after a class is put together. That's why Mullen gets blamed for some of our weaknesses last year even though you want to blame all of it on Joe. Joe didn't recruit:

1. A high school option QB that was more concerned with his girlfriend than learning to read defenses.

2. WR's that couldn't catch the ball. One of whom was a last minute add on in April or May because Dan forgot that we had no receivers taller than 5'11" until the spring game.

3. A lack of depth on OL which forced us to play a guard at RT and a guy at LT that may not even start for us this year and has been moved back to RT.

Todd4State
08-11-2019, 11:28 PM
I honestly hope joe makes it to play w his own guys. Honestly. Two reasons, one he will have been at least successful enough for keep his job a secondly, see how dan can be blamed then. Should be great.

No one is going to blame Dan for anything with our football program 1-2 years from now and I'm not sure why you are even so concerned with that? As far as last year though- there is absolutely some legit reasons to blame Dan for it. The reality is we had 12-0 defensive talent and 6-6 offensive talent. The end was result was essentially meeting in the middle.

Lord McBuckethead
08-11-2019, 11:54 PM
No one is going to blame Dan for anything with our football program 1-2 years from now and I'm not sure why you are even so concerned with that? As far as last year though- there is absolutely some legit reasons to blame Dan for it. The reality is we had 12-0 defensive talent and 6-6 offensive talent. The end was result was essentially meeting in the middle.

Bingo. Oh yeah, Fitz not shaving his head told me all i needed to know.

Jarius
08-12-2019, 12:50 AM

I mean one person is calling him that dumbass name. It's like the girl in "Mean Girls" that tried to make "fetch" a catch phrase. Most people just roll their eyes when they read that stupid shit.

Todd4State
08-12-2019, 12:58 AM
Bingo. Oh yeah, Fitz not shaving his head told me all i needed to know.

Honestly that didn't really mean much to me.

But my opinion is based on the fact that I had heard that he was going to Athens, Georgia all the time to visit his girlfriend and I guess to your point that excuse he came up with as to not shave his head was because of his girlfriend's beauty pageant. And then he was suspended for game one. That all said a lot to me.

And I don't mind our players having a social life and having a life away from football. I think that's actually important that they do have a life away from the sport. But it's an issue if it keeps them from doing what they need to do to excel on the field.

All of that is why I am a little harder on him than some on the board.

DancingRabbit
08-12-2019, 01:09 AM
I mean one person is calling him that dumbass name. It's like the girl in "Mean Girls" that tried to make "fetch" a catch phrase. Most people just roll their eyes when they read that stupid shit.

It's juvenile shit to troll the board. I do hope it's an act and he's not like this in "real life".

msstate7
08-12-2019, 06:31 AM
Well, let me give you some insight on that. It's not a coincidence that they were all on the opposite side of the ball from the one that the Country Club recruited.

The reality of recruiting at the end of the day is it comes back to roost three-five years after a class is put together. That's why Mullen gets blamed for some of our weaknesses last year even though you want to blame all of it on Joe. Joe didn't recruit:

1. A high school option QB that was more concerned with his girlfriend than learning to read defenses.

2. WR's that couldn't catch the ball. One of whom was a last minute add on in April or May because Dan forgot that we had no receivers taller than 5'11" until the spring game.

3. A lack of depth on OL which forced us to play a guard at RT and a guy at LT that may not even start for us this year and has been moved back to RT.

Fitz was a top 20 QB nationally in qbr both years before Moorhead. He was school record 6 time sec player of the week. In 2016 and 2017, he was 3rd in the sec in total offense. Leaves school as the leading rusher ever in the sec. The disrespect our fanbase gives this kid is terrible. Kid got his leg broke out there trying to win games for jerks like you

BrunswickDawg
08-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Honestly that didn't really mean much to me.

But my opinion is based on the fact that I had heard that he was going to Athens, Georgia all the time to visit his girlfriend and I guess to your point that excuse he came up with as to not shave his head was because of his girlfriend's beauty pageant. And then he was suspended for game one. That all said a lot to me.

And I don't mind our players having a social life and having a life away from football. I think that's actually important that they do have a life away from the sport. But it's an issue if it keeps them from doing what they need to do to excel on the field.

All of that is why I am a little harder on him than some on the board.

John Bond hops in Corvette after game in Jackson to go party in Athens = MSU living legend, epitome of 80's baller
Nick Fitz visits girlfriend in offseason = slacker who doesn't care

Nick Fitz - suspended for a meaning less name for unknown rules violation = lacks leadership skills
KT, probable QB starter, rumored since February to be missing multiple games for academic dishonesty = little criticism from board (until Stevens transferred in)

It amazes me sometime how contradictory our fans can be (and Todd - I'm not attributing these other comments to you specifically, just general board opinions over the years)

confucius say
08-12-2019, 06:59 AM

No coach ever has labeled a strip of the ball as flukey. Auburn guy didn?t just drop the ball, he was hit and stripped of the football. That?s not flukey. That?s a football play teams practice daily.

confucius say
08-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Agree. Mullen recruited a slew of guys who are in nfl now.

MrKotter
08-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Agree. Mullen recruited a slew of guys who are in nfl now.

Yep, NFL is loaded with offensive guys from State *** You dumbasses who continue to bitch Moorhead?s offensive production last year at least need to be consistent with your straw grasping and whining

StateDawg44
08-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Look.... another thread hijacked for the sake of arguing about our receivers and other reasons we should be miserable leading up to this year in football. Same dead beat horse.

While the thread title is bringing more attention to the nickname than the poster even does in his posts, the topic has some how evolved into a 3 page thread about the same convers.... errrr argument.... you see on every other page you click on.

This season can't start soon enough.

msstate7
08-12-2019, 07:29 AM
Yep, NFL is loaded with offensive guys from State *** You dumbasses who continue to bitch Moorhead?s offensive production last year at least need to be consistent with your straw grasping and whining

Confucius, forgive him... he has no idea you're nowhere close to anti-Moorhead. I think he's a little slow. Just pray for him

Coach007
08-12-2019, 08:06 AM
Fitz was a top 20 QB nationally in qbr both years before Moorhead. He was school record 6 time sec player of the week. In 2016 and 2017, he was 3rd in the sec in total offense. Leaves school as the leading rusher ever in the sec. The disrespect our fanbase gives this kid is terrible. Kid got his leg broke out there trying to win games for jerks like you

I have not seen anybody disrespect him. I defended him his whole time at MSU. That does not excuse the fact that he did not grasp the new system and was making horrible reads and late.

BuckyIsAB****
08-12-2019, 08:16 AM

He is probably the 2nd best QB in school history. Had Mullen stayed he probably gives Dak a run for his money

tcdog70
08-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Yeah.. we know you could have done better.... which Is why I encourage you to apply for the job.

we could have kept our skeleton crew of Coaches that beat Louisville and won 10 last year.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 08:28 AM

Fitz was a Warrior who left everything out on the field. He also didn't "get" Moorhead's offense. Fitz wasn't a consistent enough passer to run an offense that wasn't run option first. He is probably the best running QB in SEC history but his lack of experience throwing the ball really hurt the offense. Mullen's offense masked his deficiencies a lot better than Moorhead did although Joe did run a bastardized version later in the season to get Fitz at least comfortable. Even then Fitz never really ran the offense to its full potential. Fitz just had a whole lot stacked against him last year. Now if Stevens looks like Fitz did last year then it probably is the offense not working against the speed of SEC defenses. Fitz missed wide open guys all year the biggest example being the flea flicker against Bama so I am not sold on Moorhead's offense just not working as of right now.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 08:30 AM
we could have kept our skeleton crew of Coaches that beat Louisville and won 10 last year.

You would definitely want to make a huge decision like that based on winning a game against the worst DC since Ron Cooper.

Ari Gold
08-12-2019, 08:43 AM

Q Weatherspoon says hello....

Maroonthirteen
08-12-2019, 08:47 AM
John Bond hops in Corvette after game in Jackson to go party in Athens = MSU living legend, epitome of 80's baller
Nick Fitz visits girlfriend in offseason = slacker who doesn't care

Nick Fitz - suspended for a meaning less name for unknown rules violation = lacks leadership skills
KT, probable QB starter, rumored since February to be missing multiple games for academic dishonesty = little criticism from board (until Stevens transferred in)

It amazes me sometime how contradictory our fans can be (and Todd - I'm not attributing these other comments to you specifically, just general board opinions over the years)

It’s pretty much a MSU tradition for our fans to have a Ugly separation with the senior QB. Madkin is another grossly under appreciated former player.

Ari Gold
08-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Fitz is gone.
Last year is over .
Dan Mullen is gone. and he better win the east soon or he won’t be in Gainesville in a few years

Enjoy the upcoming season. We have some guys in place this year. We have some NFL talent (probably the most ever called come April) on the field.

Joe is in year 2 . He is getting his kind of guys here. We have some stud juco guys joining the program next year with some talented young kids. The OL and recruiting the OL talent is a huge improvement . We are getting Big time WR prospects to at least give us looks and showing interest. Defense is still recruiting at a SEC high level .

Just keep building the program and winning games...I’m sure the ****s up in Oxford would kill for what we have right now in football .. so ****ing enjoy it

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Q Weatherspoon says hello....

And he had surgery and fought through an injury. He was also All SEC this year.

msstate7
08-12-2019, 09:07 AM
And he had surgery and fought through an injury. He was also All SEC this year.

And he's loved by our fanbase as he should be

DownwardDawg
08-12-2019, 09:14 AM

That?s what staying somewhere for 9 years will get you. Imagine if the HS coaches actually liked him. That?s why so many of us knew that Dan had peaked. He hadn?t reach MSU?s ceiling, he had reached his ceiling.

Ari Gold
08-12-2019, 09:17 AM
And he's loved by our fanbase as he should be

Well u just have been absent on the basketball recruiting threads the last 4 years

msstate7
08-12-2019, 09:18 AM
That?s what staying somewhere for 9 years will get you. Imagine if the HS coaches actually liked him. That?s why so many of us knew that Dan had peaked. He hadn?t reach MSU?s ceiling, he had reached his ceiling.

Could be, but he matched his best season here in year 1 at Florida.

TrapGame
08-12-2019, 09:27 AM

A veteran SEC coach has a good season in year one. Stop the presses.

msstate7
08-12-2019, 09:29 AM
A veteran SEC coach has a good season in year one. Stop the presses.

I don't even think that's that good of a season at Florida. I just disagree with 10 wins being Mullen's ceiling

TrapGame
08-12-2019, 09:35 AM
I don't even think that's that good of a season at Florida. I just disagree with 10 wins being Mullen's ceiling

Mullen won't be job hunting in November anymore. He'll win more games b/c of it.

Coach007
08-12-2019, 09:39 AM

That's at UF. Sorry, but they have a stronger history in their program.

Right now he has the #13 class. All 4*s. Last year he had a top 10 class with 17 4*s. Those 2 years combined, he had 27 4* players....... added to what he walked into:

2018- 13 4*s
2017- 11 4*s
2016- 9 4*s
2015- 2 5*s and 2 4*s

That's pretty much 2 times the amount we were getting with him here. And I'm a fan of Mullen and you know from my post thought it was crazy to be calling for him to be gone.

BTW, fans at UF are already complaining about his recruiting and MS ST would kill for those types of numbers.

msstate7
08-12-2019, 09:49 AM

Right now he has the #13 class. All 4*s. Last year he had a top 10 class with 17 4*s. Those 2 years combined, he had 27 4* players....... added to what he walked into:

2018- 13 4*s
2017- 11 4*s
2016- 9 4*s
2015- 2 5*s and 2 4*s

That's pretty much 2 times the amount we were getting with him here. And I'm a fan of Mullen and you know from my post thought it was crazy to be calling for him to be gone.

BTW, fans at UF are already complaining about his recruiting and MS ST would kill for those types of numbers.

I don't dispute Mullen's ceiling at Florida is higher than here. He said Mullen had reached his (Mullen) ceiling. I'm not sure if our ceiling in today's sec west environment is NY6 here or not; but when considering ceilings, I think you have to consider if all the west reaches their ceilings where ours is. If you say our ceiling is playoffs, I think you have to acknowledge that meant LSU, auburn, aTm, and Bama didn't reach their ceilings. So we need luck whereas others in the west don't

Coach007
08-12-2019, 09:51 AM

That's not what he was saying (I think). He's saying at Ms St, he had reached his ceiling. Mullen is a great coach. My opinion.
But he and some on his staff was not liked. I know a OL who went elsewhere because of Dan's man. Was a MSU fan and had been his whole life.

Coach007
08-12-2019, 09:53 AM
I don't dispute Mullen's ceiling at Florida is higher than here. He said Mullen had reached his (Mullen) ceiling. I'm not sure if our ceiling in today's sec west environment is NY6 here or not; but when considering ceilings, I think you have to consider if all the west reaches their ceilings where ours is. If you say our ceiling is playoffs, I think you have to acknowledge that meant LSU, auburn, aTm, and Bama didn't reach their ceilings. So we need luck whereas others in the west don't

Agree. We play eachother and somebody is not going to win!

smootness
08-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Yeah you want Joe to fail for sure. Those same things you said about go for Auburn too. Just because they make those plus doesn't necessarily mean they win.

You win games and you lose games. Anyone that qualifies a win as flukey isn't looking for truth. They just want to be correct at the expense of the team.

Then you have to approach our dropped passes the same way. Bottom line, we lost those games.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 09:59 AM

And UF had an average recruiting ranking class of 15 over the past 5 years. MSU was probably 25-35. He walked into as much or more talent at UF top to bottom. We had 2 guys who played their way into the first with Simmons the only sure fire first round guy at the beginning of the year. UF had 2 guys play their way out of the 1st round with the DE actually bombing the interview process at the combine so bad he was removed from draft boards.

People give Franks crap but he was more highly recruited than any QB on MSU's roster during Mullen's entire time.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 10:08 AM

Mullen went somewhere that helps cover his deficiency which is recruiting. You probably have to try to have a recruiting class outside the 25-30 at UF whereas at MSU that was around the best he did on average. UF has a higher average ceiling especially when you consider the East is easier on average.

Jack Lambert
08-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Mullen went somewhere that helps cover his deficiency which is recruiting. You probably have to try to have a recruiting class outside the 25-30 at UF whereas at MSU that was around the best he did on average. UF has a higher average ceiling especially when you consider the East is easier on average.

He is going to have to improve his recruiting to get past GA and keeping his fans happy. They believe they should have a top five class every year and that will get Mullen on the hot seat.

BrunswickDawg
08-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Considering that Bama has won 7 of the last 11 SECW titles, I'd say it requires some luck from any team to win the west that isn't named Bama.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 10:16 AM
He is going to have to improve his recruiting to get past GA and keeping his fans happy. They believe they should have a top five class every year and that will get Mullen on the hot seat.

Yep, they think Urban's top 1-5 classes are the worst they should do. Of course Urban also won 2 National Titles there also. Mullen probably has 3 years before he is on the hot seat for finishing outside of the Playoffs.

msstate7
08-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Considering that Bama has won 7 of the last 11 SECW titles, I'd say it requires some luck from any team to win the west that isn't named Bama.

Correct. A ceiling with conditions on it isn't really a ceiling.

BulldogDX55
08-12-2019, 10:18 AM
I only read the first 1.5 pages of this mess of a thread, but what if all of the following is true:

1. Mullen was good at recruiting some
Positions, but bad at others
2. Our receivers were a weak point, but other teams receivers make mistakes too
3. The jury can still be out on Joe, and he's shown both good and bad aspects
4. His offense was bad at times last season, but we also know that his system needs a 60% passer and receivers who catch so we don't know if it's entirely the systems fault
5. Fitz was a good qb for Mullen's system, but not a good QB for Joes

Not everything has to be black and white and set in stone. Nuance exists.

One thing for sure: anyone seriously comparing Joe to Croom is pants on the head stupid, but Joevester is just a silly nickname that any reasonable fan isn't using seriously.

Coach007
08-12-2019, 10:22 AM
I only read the first 1.5 pages of this mess of a thread, but what if all of the following is true:

4. His offense was bad at times last season, but we also know that his system needs a 60% passer and receivers who catch so we don't know if it's entirely the systems fault

One thing for sure: anyone seriously comparing Joe to Croom is pants on the head stupid, but Joevester is just a silly nickname that any reasonable fan isn't using seriously.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FxT77XWu m9yH7zNkFW0%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Is there any derogatory nicknames not allowed like Joevester or foam bat? What about Peaches?

Dawg61
08-12-2019, 10:33 AM
What the hell is the OP talking about? Jovester hasn't been said more than a couple of times ever. It ain't exactly catching on.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 10:39 AM
What the hell is the OP talking about? Jovester hasn't been said more than a couple of times ever. It ain't exactly catching on.

Certain posters are using it in every one of their posts trying to get it to catch on.

Commercecomet24
08-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Have some Rep!

99jc
08-12-2019, 10:41 AM

34 is correct on this Moorhead 17'd up last season and if you all are happy he won 8 that's pathetic.

Coach007
08-12-2019, 10:57 AM
34 is correct on this Moorhead 17'd up last season and if you all are happy he won 8 that's pathetic.

No he isn't.

We didn't hire him to be a Mullen clone.

TrapGame
08-12-2019, 11:06 AM

Nope. It's not all Moorhead. If Fitz had been able to go through Spring practice and actually take live snaps we probably aren't having this conversation right now.

Dawg61
08-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Certain posters are using it in every one of their posts trying to get it to catch on.

Nobody will be calling him Jovester if he exceeds expectations. Mullen averaged 7 wins a season. The bar isn't exactly set at max. If a stupid nickname gives him a little extra fuel. So be it.

BulldogDX55
08-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Is there any derogatory nicknames not allowed like Joevester or foam bat? What about Peaches?

Imagine missing the point badly and still wanting to fight about this after what I said.

R2Dawg
08-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Fitz is gone.
Last year is over .
Dan Mullen is gone. and he better win the east soon or he won?t be in Gainesville in a few years

Enjoy the upcoming season. We have some guys in place this year. We have some NFL talent (probably the most ever called come April) on the field.

Joe is in year 2 . He is getting his kind of guys here. We have some stud juco guys joining the program next year with some talented young kids. The OL and recruiting the OL talent is a huge improvement . We are getting Big time WR prospects to at least give us looks and showing interest. Defense is still recruiting at a SEC high level .

Just keep building the program and winning games...I?m sure the ****s up in Oxford would kill for what we have right now in football .. so ****ing enjoy it

Agree, tired of same threads. Everyone knows strengths and weaknesses of Fitz and Mullen, moving on.

Program is killing it for past 5 years. Next up.

Lord McBuckethead
08-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Agree, tired of same threads. Everyone knows strengths and weaknesses of Fitz and Mullen, moving on.

Program is killing it for past 5 years. Next up.

Agreed. Not a fan of the nickname. Why not call him "The People's Eyebrow". At least it isn't derogatory.

R2Dawg
08-12-2019, 11:23 AM

2018- 13 4*s
2017- 11 4*s
2016- 9 4*s
2015- 2 5*s and 2 4*s

And there is the one thing many fans don't get with Mullen. He has proven to have a good eye for talent; it ain't about the recruiting stars as Mullen proved at MSU year after year. Florida fans will forget about recruiting if he wins in the fall just like MSU fans did. Yes it adds offseason stress on fanbase but it worked for him. Not saying I like his approach all the time either but hard to complain about the results.

Coldsleeve Jr.
08-12-2019, 11:24 AM
No he isn't.

We didn't hire him to be a Mullen clone.

Correct. We hired him to fit his offense to our personnel.

He didn't do that either

Coach007
08-12-2019, 11:39 AM

He didn't do that either

No.. we hired him because he is a proven winner and a great offensive mind. He put in his offense and Fitz struggled in it as a passer. Nothing more, nothing less

Pollodawg
08-12-2019, 11:40 AM
The only thing Moorhead failed at last year that Mullen wouldn’t have was masking the fact that his QB couldn’t, and never had been able to, hit water falling out a boat.

Last year was an average DM year. Deal with it.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2019, 11:59 AM
And there is the one thing many fans don't get with Mullen. He has proven to have a good eye for talent; it ain't about the recruiting stars as Mullen proved at MSU year after year. Florida fans will forget about recruiting if he wins in the fall just like MSU fans did. Yes it adds offseason stress on fanbase but it worked for him. Not saying I like his approach all the time either but hard to complain about the results.

UF expects to go toe to toe with Bama, we actually did that 1 time in 9 years and it required Bama to be on their 2nd and 3rd string LBs. Even in 2014, we were down 12 with less than a minute to go.

sandwolf
08-12-2019, 01:46 PM
My question is why do you and others like you keep trying to qualify everything about Joe in the negative? Well other teams did this. Well it can't be a fluke win. Everything is qualified. Can't ever just look at us and say "of course we stunk on offense but there were things that players did that cost us games that might have been out of Joe's hands."

You just 'qualified' the shitty offense in a way to where it shielded Moorhead from blame. That is the exact reason that you see people qualifying things to the negative.....it's to balance out the excuses that people like you keep making for Moorhead.

confucius say
08-12-2019, 01:46 PM
UF expects to go toe to toe with Bama, we actually did that 1 time in 9 years and it required Bama to be on their 2nd and 3rd string LBs. Even in 2014, we were down 12 with less than a minute to go.

We were also down 6 with fourteen minutes to go and put them in third and long three times in one series and could not get off the field. I don?t think we punted the entire second half.

Maroonthirteen
08-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Jackie f’d up 1991 with a 7-5 record too. We lost Memphis State and Fn Air Force. We should have been 9-3.

bulldawg28
08-12-2019, 03:04 PM

That's a stupid move by a coach.

msstate7
08-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Not to mention extremely arrogant... "I'll decide where these kids go"

bulldawg28
08-12-2019, 03:46 PM
Not to mention extremely arrogant... "I'll decide where these kids go"

Exactly.

Liverpooldawg
08-12-2019, 03:47 PM
I said 8 wins going in last year. We knew the D was loaded and we also knew what we had at QB and WR. Anyone that expected 10 wins last year was delusional. Mullen wouldn't have won 10 either.

Dawg2003
08-12-2019, 04:20 PM

He didn't do that either

Unless he could perform magic, he was never gonna be able to fit Fitz to our offense. He might have thought he could in the beginning, but he soon realized he couldn't.

Bdaski
08-12-2019, 04:26 PM

I'm thinking Joe's 1st coaching staff he hired didn't work out like he was hoping it would. Plus, I don't think he realized Fitz was as poor of passer as he turned out to be. All of that had to play a part in cutting back on his offense a bunch. By doing that it took a lot of explosion out of our offensive game, which put more on the defense then you would want. Our defense was able to hold its end and more. I think we will see a difference in the offense this season. I'm willing to see if it plays out that way.

BiscuitEater
08-12-2019, 09:41 PM

Mullen had ZERO '1st rounders' last season!

No Gators were selected in the opening round of the draft for the first time since 2012. Offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor, who was projected as a top-15 pick entering the round, has slid to Day 2 over apparent concerns about an offseason knee injury.

DownwardDawg
08-12-2019, 10:12 PM

Oh I agree. It pissed me off at the time. It?s just an example of one HS coach hating Mullen. I?ve heard there were many.

BuckyIsAB****
08-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Todd Grantham blitzed 8 guys against Fitzgerald on 4th down against us Fitz had no clue it was coming. If he does its a game ending TD and Grantham is probably fired for that call. Thats how bad Fitzgerald was mentally at that point in the year. They didnt even cover our slot and nobody could have tackled him if he gets the ball.

I love Fitz to death, he was an absolute warrior and he deserves respect for that. But he was not a QB for this system at all

Really Clark?
08-12-2019, 10:19 PM

No Gators were selected in the opening round of the draft for the first time since 2012. Offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor, who was projected as a top-15 pick entering the round, has slid to Day 2 over apparent concerns about an offseason knee injury.

He was talking the players recruited to us while Mullen was our coach. He didn’t recruit any of those Florida players that were draft eligible

Cooterpoot
08-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Who are those ?bunch more? being drafted this year? I don?t see many. Almost all our top draft picks are Juco guys too.

msstate7
08-12-2019, 10:25 PM
Who are those “bunch more” being drafted this year? I don’t see many.

Dantzler, Williams, Thompson, rivers
Maybes: gay, hill, autry, Cole

Cooterpoot
08-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Thompson isn’t leaving IMO. Neither is Gay. Hill would have to have a big year too.
Cole is a wait and see. Rivers and Williams are picks. Dantzler too barring injury.
Autry late maybe. But only a couple will go very high.

msstate7
08-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Thompson isn’t leaving IMO. Neither is Gay. Hill would have to have a big year too.
Cole is a wait and see. Rivers and Williams are picks. Dantzler too barring injury.
Autry late maybe. But only a couple will go very high.

Basically then the only one you disagreed with me on is thompson. He's rated in the top 5 draftable ILBs by Phil Steele and Walterfootball. Obviously this doesn't mean he's a lock, but it certainly shows he's on the radar.

Cooterpoot
08-12-2019, 10:49 PM
He’s not a top 5 LB pick IMO. But we’ll see. I just don’t see a bunch of picks unless a lot goes right.

confucius say
08-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Confucius, forgive him... he has no idea you're nowhere close to anti-Moorhead. I think he's a little slow. Just pray for him

No joke. I?m as pro joe as anybody on here. Just happen to also think dan did one hell of a job here.

BiscuitEater
08-13-2019, 03:38 AM
He was talking the players recruited to us while Mullen was our coach.

So, if Mullet deserves credit for 3 #1 defensive draftees, he also gets credit for an 8-5 (4-4) record, right?

Can't get credit for one and not the other.

msstate7
08-13-2019, 06:16 AM
So, if Mullet deserves credit for 3 #1 defensive draftees, he also gets credit for an 8-5 (4-4) record, right?

This is strange logic. Poster earlier said Mullen is a terrible recruiter, and I said there were 3 1st rounders on this team that Mullen recruited and signed. Are you disputing that Mullen recruited sweat, Simmons, and Abram or are you saying that none of them were talented until Moorhead got here?

Really Clark?
08-13-2019, 07:20 AM

Actually, concerning players drafted that he actually recruited he definitely gets credit for that. You are trying to blend two totally different things to make an argument because you got called out. He definitely can get credit for one, the players we signed while he was here that were just drafted and not the record last season since he wasn’t coaching this team.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 07:35 AM

Also the DE slid from the projected 1st round to the 4th round over his NFL combine interviews. I don't really blame Mullen for either of those guys slides. He wasn't there long enough to do anything about that guy and an injury can happen. Simmons should have been a top 5-10 pick if not for his injury.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 07:39 AM
This is strange logic. Poster earlier said Mullen is a terrible recruiter, and I said there were 3 1st rounders on this team that Mullen recruited and signed. Are you disputing that Mullen recruited sweat, Simmons, and Abram or are you saying that none of them were talented until Moorhead got here?

The only one of those guys really highly recruited was Simmons. Mullen's staff did a great job getting him along with Sweat and Abram. There was just some positions that Mullen sucked at recruiting.

MedDawg
08-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Not his fault we were 2 dropped passes away from a 10 win season. He had a few head scratchers but was set up for a top 10 season.

Everyone talks about Moorhead wasting a team that held opponents to 12 TD's. Counting the bowl game, it was 15, which was still excellent.

However, State's defense gave up 4 TD's to Kentucky and 3 to Iowa. So while the defense was excellent as a whole last season, they didn't help us vs Kentucky or Iowa.

We scored 22 points vs Iowa, which should have been enough. We had 342 yards vs Iowa, which should have been enough.

We actually finished the second half of the season well on offense, except for Alabama.

msstate7
08-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Everyone talks about Moorhead wasting a team that held opponents to 12 TD's. Counting the bowl game, it was 15, which was still excellent.

However, State's defense gave up 4 TD's to Kentucky and 3 to Iowa. So while the defense was excellent as a whole last season, they didn't help us vs Kentucky or Iowa.

We scored 22 points vs Iowa, which should have been enough. We had 342 yards vs Iowa, which should have been enough.

We actually finished the second half of the season well on offense, except for Alabama.

Vs Kentucky, at the 9:43 left, Kentucky had 203 total yards. It was 14-7, and the defense got our offense the ball at the Kentucky 47.

Iowa had a 13-yard td drive and a 33-yard td drive.

Blaming the defense for those losses is questionable at best

StateDawg44
08-13-2019, 08:14 AM
Vs Kentucky, at the 9:43 left, Kentucky had 203 total yards. It was 14-7, and the defense got our offense the ball at the Kentucky 47.

UK was definitely a group effort and group loss. All the way across the board and even up to the coaches. There were a ton of penalties on D and offense seemed rattled from the get-go.

I'm not one to blame the coaches for the overall finish of last year at all. That game we seemed lost and had no answers for anything.

Homedawg
08-13-2019, 08:17 AM

342 yards?? Hahahah. It's pretty bad when you say that's enough. But based on The other 4 shit shows, yeah I guess it was....

msstate7
08-13-2019, 08:24 AM
342 yards?? Hahahah. It's pretty bad when you say that's enough. But based on The other 4 shit shows, yeah I guess it was....

Well to be fair, maybe he was used to our offense in conf play... we avg'd 316 yds per game

ETA... Iowa had 199 total yds. Damn defense blew it!

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Well to be fair, maybe he was used to our offense in conf play... we avg'd 316 yds per game

ETA... Iowa had 199 total yds. Damn defense blew it!

Iowa also averaged giving up 17.8 points per game and 293 yards per game so our offense wasn't too bad against them. UK was a bad game all around. I think it is safe to say that the entire team lost that game including the coaching staff. Fitz looked like he didn't have a clue what to do on offense and they shut down our running game. UK was really good on defense.

msstate7
08-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Iowa also averaged giving up 17.8 points per game and 293 yards per game so our offense wasn't too bad against them. UK was a bad game all around. I think it is safe to say that the entire team lost that game including the coaching staff. Fitz looked like he didn't have a clue what to do on offense and they shut down our running game. UK was really good on defense.

Vs Iowa, we had these scoring drives...
9 plays. 23 yds. Fg (set up by defense)
3 plays 6 yds td (set up by defense)
1 play 33 yds td (set up special teams)

16 of our 22 points came of this combined drive stat line, 13 plays 62 yds. This was setup by the defense/special teams. Blaming the defense for Iowa is ridiculous

Scared_Hitless
08-13-2019, 08:54 AM
I just don't like the revisionist history, we had a few stinkers with Mullen every year as well outside of the Dak seasons. Joe lost to some great teams last season. No truly unforgivable losses, and unless you feel we had a real shot of winning the Natty, its an above average season. Winning 9 or 10 would have made little difference in the perception of our program. So basically going forward we need to evaluate Joe on his ability to recruit (looks promising), coach offense, and win football games regardless of circumstance. In year 1 he recruited as well or above Mullen Level based on his 10 year average. He was worse on offense then Mullen that is undeniable, but he won more games than Mullen won here on average so that is also in limbo.

Going into this season he has a QB he wanted, the receiver talent is elevated though still not to an acceptable level, this will continue to be pushed in recruiting. Lets see how we do on offense and winning this season before we make sweeping judgement on a guy in his first year. Hell Jimbo has a Natty and Joe smoked him and A&M has alot of stockpiled talent. Joe seems to make good hires for his staff and is if nothing else a good leader of men. Gotta stop comparing Joe to Mullen who was maybe the best coach in our history with a lengthy tenure.

I think we improve offensively enough to match last season, with some luck maybe we get more. Shoop was a home run hire and hope we can keep him here for a while.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 08:59 AM
Vs Iowa, we had these scoring drives...
9 plays. 23 yds. Fg (set up by defense)
3 plays 6 yds td (set up by defense)
1 play 33 yds td (set up special teams)

16 of our 22 points came of this combined drive stat line, 13 plays 62 yds. This was setup by the defense/special teams. Blaming the defense for Iowa is ridiculous

I didn't blame the defense, I just said the overall offense wasn't too bad. Offensive turnovers and a few big plays on defense are pretty much the turning point in that game. It isn't a surprise that our offense struggled against Really GOOD to GREAT defenses. I will say when we struggled, it was bad. Joe has to fix that this year but let's not act like Mullen never scored under 10 points in a game.

The worst scoring defense we lost to is LSU at #26. The worst total defense we lost to was UF at #28. So it isn't like we lost to a crap team. The UF game is the worst loss because it was at home. Of course they also ended up #7 in the country so it isn't like losing to a bad team.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 09:02 AM
I just don't like the revisionist history, we had a few stinkers with Mullen every year as well outside of the Dak seasons. Joe lost to some great teams last season. No truly unforgivable losses, and unless you feel we had a real shot of winning the Natty, its an above average season. Winning 9 or 10 would have made little difference in the perception of our program. So basically going forward we need to evaluate Joe on his ability to recruit (looks promising), coach offense, and win football games regardless of circumstance. In year 1 he recruited as well or above Mullen Level based on his 10 year average. He was worse on offense then Mullen that is undeniable, but he won more games than Mullen won here on average so that is also in limbo.

Going into this season he has a QB he wanted, the receiver talent is elevated though still not to an acceptable level, this will continue to be pushed in recruiting. Lets see how we do on offense and winning this season before we make sweeping judgement on a guy in his first year. Hell Jimbo has a Natty and Joe smoked him and A&M has alot of stockpiled talent. Joe seems to make good hires for his staff and is if nothing else a good leader of men. Gotta stop comparing Joe to Mullen who was maybe the best coach in our history with a lengthy tenure.

I think we improve offensively enough to match last season, with some luck maybe we get more. Shoop was a home run hire and hope we can keep him here for a while.

The Mullen worshippers on here don't seem to remember any games like 2017 UGA or AU where we struggled to do anything on offense. Over Mullen's 9 years, he was close to 30 points per game and Moorhead last year was at 28.5 with a brand new offense.

msstate7
08-13-2019, 09:11 AM
The Mullen worshippers on here don't seem to remember any games like 2017 UGA or AU where we struggled to do anything on offense. Over Mullen's 9 years, he was close to 30 points per game and Moorhead last year was at 28.5 with a brand new offense.

In 2018 vs conf only opponents, we were 119th out of 129 conf teams in the nation, 92nd percentile of ineptitude of conf only scoring offense. 90th percentile is as bad as we've been since at least croom

smootness
08-13-2019, 09:14 AM
The Mullen worshippers on here don't seem to remember any games like 2017 UGA or AU where we struggled to do anything on offense.

I think everybody remembers those games just fine...and plenty of people weren't happy about it.

At the same time, it was only twice, both those teams were great teams, they were both on the road, our QB was a year younger, and our offense did well in other tough games, like Bama and LSU that year.

Tbonewannabe
08-13-2019, 09:22 AM
I think everybody remembers those games just fine...and plenty of people weren't happy about it.

At the same time, it was only twice, both those teams were great teams, they were both on the road, our QB was a year younger, and our offense did well in other tough games, like Bama and LSU that year.

All of the games you point to were on the road except UF. Bama and LSU had big time players injured on their defense and those games were at home. As far as the QB, Fitz definitely took a big step back and was coming off of a bad injury where he didn't take live snaps until August. 2018 UK's defense = 2017 UGA defense in almost every way statistically.

Scared_Hitless
08-13-2019, 09:28 AM

Also most would argue Nick was a better and more willing runner before the injury. Bama was an anomaly that season they were injured at multiple key positions. Joe also had decent games against AU and A&M the records were the same for a reason. I am not saying Joe is better than Mullen, but he had 0 bad losses and didnt lose to a shit Ole Miss team to end the season. Also had Joe got a layup like Louisville with Peter Sirmon in the bowl game he gets the same 9-4 record and most of the annoyance of early losses goes out the window.

Sadly we got a seasoned Iowa team that capitalized on our many turnovers, which normally do not fall on coaching.

msstate7
08-13-2019, 09:29 AM
All of the games you point to were on the road except UF. Bama and LSU had big time players injured on their defense and those games were at home. As far as the QB, Fitz definitely took a big step back and was coming off of a bad injury where he didn't take live snaps until August. 2018 UK's defense = 2017 UGA defense in almost every way statistically.

Total def: Kentucky 23rd, Georgia 6th
Yds/play: Kentucky 57th, Georgia 10th
Scoring: Kentucky 6th, Georgia 6th

Keep in mind, Georgia had to face auburn, Bama, Oklahoma in their last 3 postseason games

Johnson85
08-13-2019, 09:44 AM
Also most would argue Nick was a better and more willing runner before the injury. Bama was an anomaly that season they were injured at multiple key positions. Joe also had decent games against AU and A&M the records were the same for a reason. I am not saying Joe is better than Mullen, but he had 0 bad losses and didnt lose to a shit Ole Miss team to end the season. Also had Joe got a layup like Louisville with Peter Sirmon in the bowl game he gets the same 9-4 record and most of the annoyance of early losses goes out the window.

Sadly we got a seasoned Iowa team that capitalized on our many turnovers, which normally do not fall on coaching.

He lost to zero bad teams, but the UK and Florida losses were bad simply because of the way he and the team were completely unprepared. I'm optimistic about Moorhead based on the way we dominated mediocre defenses even though I'm not sure we had a receiver that would have seen regular snaps for any of the top say 8 WR corps in the SEC. But he shit the bed against UK and UF. There were mitigating factors (UK on the road, we were overly hyped and overly confident, it was raining, etc, UF was against good team with coaches that new our personnel), but there's not much argument that he and the team (or at least the part he was primarily responsible for) shit the bed.

Scared_Hitless
08-13-2019, 09:49 AM
He lost to zero bad teams, but the UK and Florida losses were bad simply because of the way he and the team were completely unprepared. I'm optimistic about Moorhead based on the way we dominated mediocre defenses even though I'm not sure we had a receiver that would have seen regular snaps for any of the top say 8 WR corps in the SEC. But he shit the bed against UK and UF. There were mitigating factors (UK on the road, we were overly hyped and overly confident, it was raining, etc, UF was against good team with coaches that new our personnel), but there's not much argument that he and the team (or at least the part he was primarily responsible for) shit the bed.

Sure I am not arguing that in anyway those games in my opinion with our defense were winnable with a decent offense. We did not get that in either game, but I also watched plenty of perfectly drawn up plays get botched by our receivers and QB. We should have an offensive leap in year 2 if we don't with Joe having a QB he brought in like Stevens I will be concerned.

Johnson85
08-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Those stats were against NIU Huskies, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, Penn State, Purdue, Norhwestern, Illinois, and Nebraska. They held Wisconsin to 28, which was their 6th lowest scoring total in 13 games. They gave up 30 @Penn State which, was their 7th lowest scoring game in 13 games. They gave up 38 @Purdue. They gave up 31 v.Nebraska. They gave up 31 @Minnesota.

They certainly were a well coached defense and had some decent talent, but I'm not sure they even stand out as above average in the SEC and looking at what other people managed to score on them, us scoring only 27 when helped out by a defense that held them to 200 yards is pretty bad.

MedDawg
08-13-2019, 10:09 AM
Nm

trojandawg
08-13-2019, 10:38 AM
And that goes back to Mullen's WR recruiting.
i don't blame mullen for that. His system was about spreading the field horizontally not vertically. most of our guys could catch on the line of scrimmage or catch speed sweeps or be using in the option game. Mullen recruited athletes. guys that could break open the field in space with the ball in their hands. he didn't recruit them to go down the field and catch. just a difference in strategy and the players he recruited for that strategy.

Gutter Cobreh
08-13-2019, 11:38 AM
i don't blame mullen for that. His system was about spreading the field horizontally not vertically. most of our guys could catch on the line of scrimmage or catch speed sweeps or be using in the option game. Mullen recruited athletes. guys that could break open the field in space with the ball in their hands. he didn't recruit them to go down the field and catch. just a difference in strategy and the players he recruited for that strategy.

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON!!!!!

This is difference in the WR commits we have now, versus what Mullen (and Gonzalez) were trying to get on campus. You can't have a bunch of Percy Harvin type of receivers and expect to go vertical. As someone in another thread stated, had Moorhead followed message board advice - he'd be in year 1 of implementing his system because he would have adapted his style to Mullen last year. Instead, we are in year 2 of his system - which I think has a higher ceiling for our overall program.

R2Dawg
08-13-2019, 12:48 PM

Agree, can't blame D for those 2 losses. Gave up a couple a big plays but didn't give up any all year. If anyone complains about D performance from last year, I just don't know how to help you and Lord help you the next couple years.

Percho
08-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Also, do not ever forget the officiating in the Ky game. We were hosed, period.

R2Dawg
08-13-2019, 12:52 PM

I wouldn't call UK and FL or Iowa great teams; good yes, not great. All teams talent wise we should have beat, with any coach in my MSU lifetime except maybe one. Jo laid an egg and yes Mullen laid some as well. Right now Mullen only ahead of Jo due to time and 2014 and that is about it.

R2Dawg
08-13-2019, 01:03 PM

Boy you are correct, we got the shaft and the D basically quit at the end after the BS calls.

Scared_Hitless
08-13-2019, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't call UK and FL or Iowa great teams; good yes, not great. All teams talent wise we should have beat, with any coach in my MSU lifetime except maybe one. Jo laid an egg and yes Mullen laid some as well. Right now Mullen only ahead of Jo due to time and 2014 and that is about it.

You must be really young if you think any coach in our history wins those two games. Hate to break it to you but FL finished #7 and KY finished #12 that would be defined as two great teams by any measure. KY was during a monsoon where we faced our first adversity of the season. Joe and company got punched in the mouth and didn't adjust but don't diminish the team KY had because of our shortcomings. Mullen knew our team better than Joe and exploited it, he had 3-4 years with these players Joe had 6 months that is the main reason we lost to Florida. 2014 was a magical year climbing to #1 but in the end we still finished with 3 losses and blew our only shot at beating a Bama Team led by a converted RB named Blake Sims.

I am willing to give Joe time to bring in WRs and a QB that fit the passing mold he is striving for. If he fails well I am sure the board knows plenty of replacement candidates that would jump at the jump. Even though coordinators in P5 turned us down before Joe. Joe is bringing in better lineman, better WR, and better QB prospects than Dan. It will fall on development and our S&C staff going forward. Those are the two best aspects of Mullen running the show.

BiscuitEater
08-13-2019, 01:25 PM

While I fully understand that Mullet recruited and deserves credit for 3 #1 NFL DEFENSIVE picks; He also gets the blame for recruiting 50% passing QBs, receivers with stone hands, and last years 8-5 record.

I fully supported Mullet UNTIL he started using Novembers to job search instead of coaching 'his' Mississippi State.

Please explain what you don't understand with that logic.

Homedawg
08-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Don't be an ole miss guy. We got our ass whipped. Just own it.

Homedawg
08-13-2019, 01:28 PM
You must be really young if you think any coach in our history wins those two games. Hate to break it to you but FL finished #7 and KY finished #12 that would be defined as two great teams by any measure. KY was during a monsoon where we faced our first adversity of the season. Joe and company got punched in the mouth and didn't adjust but don't diminish the team KY had because of our shortcomings. Mullen knew our team better than Joe and exploited it, he had 3-4 years with these players Joe had 6 months that is the main reason we lost to Florida. 2014 was a magical year climbing to #1 but in the end we still finished with 3 losses and blew our only shot at beating a Bama Team led by a converted RB named Blake Sims.

I am willing to give Joe time to bring in WRs and a QB that fit the passing mold he is striving for. If he fails well I am sure the board knows plenty of replacement candidates that would jump at the jump. Even though coordinators in P5 turned us down before Joe. Joe is bringing in better lineman, better WR, and better QB prospects than Dan. It will fall on development and our S&C staff going forward. Those are the two best aspects of Mullen running the show.

Again, if we don't lose to them, they aren't ranked that high. And we shouldn't have lost to either of them. Those weren't great teams by any stretch. Bama great. After that we didn't play a great team. Not one.

StateDawg44
08-13-2019, 01:31 PM
While I fully understand that Mullet recruited and deserves credit for 3 #1 NFL DEFENSIVE picks; He also gets the blame for recruiting 50% passing QBs, receivers with stone hands, and last years 8-5 record.

I fully supported Mullet UNTIL he started using Novembers to job search instead of coaching 'his' Mississippi State.

Please explain what you don't understand with that logic.

So are you saying Mullen was responsible for UF not having any first-rounders on their team last year? By that logic, you are implying Joe is responsible for the three we had last year.

StateDawg44
08-13-2019, 01:31 PM

But, but it was raining.***

msstate7
08-13-2019, 01:33 PM
So are you saying Mullen was responsible for UF not having any first-rounders on their team last year? By that logic, you are implying Joe is responsible for the three we had last year.

He's talking outside both sides of his biscuit eating mouth. I'm just moving on to the next argument lol

msu15
08-13-2019, 01:39 PM
He's talking outside both sides of his biscuit eating mouth. I'm just moving on to the next argument lol

Biscuit eating mouth lololol

Scared_Hitless
08-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Again, if we don't lose to them, they aren't ranked that high. And we shouldn't have lost to either of them. Those weren't great teams by any stretch. Bama great. After that we didn't play a great team. Not one.

They both won 10 games we are not the only team they beat.

Homedawg
08-13-2019, 01:41 PM
They both won 10 games we are not the only team they beat.

And the other 9 weren't great either. Fact is we lost to them, which boosted their rankings in both cases. You can't argue w that.

Scared_Hitless
08-13-2019, 01:46 PM
And the other 9 weren't great either. Fact is we lost to them, which boosted their rankings in both cases. You can't argue w that.

Well yeah that's how rankings work. Doesn't mean they were not great teams. Hell how many 10 win seasons do we have..... Was that not a great team in 2014? I guess you could argue we were boosted by a similar Auburn, A&M, and LSU that year. So by your argument Mullen didn't ever really do anything special here so why so down on Joe? We werefortunate enough to be boosted by the rankings and beating teams that were similar to 2018 versions of us.

BiscuitEater
08-13-2019, 01:53 PM
You can't have a bunch of Percy Harvin type of receivers and expect to go vertical.

Percy Harvin caught 133 passes, rushed for 1852 yards, had 32 TDs in only 3 years at Florida. Please list the 'bunch of Percy Harvin type receivers' Mullet recruited to MSU.

Homedawg
08-13-2019, 01:56 PM
Well yeah that's how rankings work. Doesn't mean they were not great teams. Hell how many 10 win seasons do we have..... Was that not a great team in 2014? I guess you could argue we were boosted by a similar Auburn, A&M, and LSU that year. So by your argument Mullen didn't ever really do anything special here so why so down on Joe? We werefortunate enough to be boosted by the rankings and beating teams that were similar to 2018 versions of us.
Comparing us of 14 and uk and uf last year is beyond laughable. And I'm not trying to bring joe down, just stating the facts. I hope we win every game. But just because I don't agree w all the sunshine pumpers doesn't mean I'm trying to bring joe down. He works hard. And gets paid pretty well. If he can't handle a message board guy or two "putting him down" then I can't help you.

Scared_Hitless
08-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Comparing us of 14 and uk and uf last year is beyond laughable. And I'm not trying to bring joe down, just stating the facts. I hope we win every game. But just because I don't agree w all the sunshine pumpers doesn't mean I'm trying to bring joe down. He works hard. And gets paid pretty well. If he can't handle a message board guy or two "putting him down" then I can't help you.

Yeah but your not seeing the fallacy in your arguments. UF last year lost to GA, KY, and Mizzou. Only bad loss was Mizzou who was 8-5. Compare that to our 2014 season we lost to Bama, OM, and GT first two you can excuse I guess, but Ole Miss did finish by losing 4 of 6 in blowout fashion no worries though they kicked us up and down the field. GT who loses every bowl game because with time to prepare the triple option cant beat you with gap and eye discipline. But that was on Geoff right.

Our 2014 run was a great offense and opportunistic defense. KY great defense opportunistic offense this year. FL pretty balanced team overall our best team in the last 30 years would have won in all likelihood but only due to Dak not because that team was far superior.

Homedawg
08-13-2019, 02:34 PM

Johnson85
08-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Yeah but your not seeing the fallacy in your arguments. UF last year lost to GA, KY, and Mizzou. Only bad loss was Mizzou who was 8-5. Compare that to our 2014 season we lost to Bama, OM, and GT first two you can excuse I guess, but Ole Miss did finish by losing 4 of 6 in blowout fashion no worries though they kicked us up and down the field. GT who loses every bowl game because with time to prepare the triple option cant beat you with gap and eye discipline. But that was on Geoff right. In the sense that Geoff wasn't there. We lost that Ga Tech game b/c we didn't have a DC. We lost the UM game partly because our offense was unprepared, and partly because our best free safety couldn't stop harassing a girl and our second best free safety got injured on the first drive, and we didn't have a good enough option behind that.

Our 2014 run was a great offense and opportunistic defense. KY great defense opportunistic offense this year. FL pretty balanced team overall our best team in the last 30 years would have won in all likelihood but only due to Dak not because that team was far superior. Upsets are always possible obviously, but our 2014 team, at least as it existed prior to the UM game, would have won both those games most likely. We unfortunately weren't as good by the end of 2014 as we were at the beginning, partly because of injuries, and partly because Josh Robinson got in the habit of not taking what was there and trying to bounce everything to the outside. Our most effective running back against Ole Miss and Ga TEch was Shumpert, and no knock on him, but he wasn't close to the talent Josh was; he was just willing to take what was there. Neither UK nor Florida this year were what Bama or even Ole Miss were that year. Ole Miss's defense was as good as UK's this year but they had a better offense. Even if our 2014 had played UK without either of our top two free safeties, I'm not sure UK would have had the talent to make us pay the way UM did with their TE. I would say UF is in a similar boat although maybe they would have been more likely to knock off the post UM version of the 2014 team.

Johnson85
08-13-2019, 02:49 PM

Meh....Our offense got their ass whipped. Our defense pretty much whipped their ass for three quarters, but they got two scores gifted to them early by the referees. Our D probably gets worn down by the end regardless, but without the two bad calls on scoring drives, maybe it plays out differently.

Scared_Hitless
08-13-2019, 02:56 PM
In the sense that Geoff wasn't there. We lost that Ga Tech game b/c we didn't have a DC. We lost the UM game partly because our offense was unprepared, and partly because our best free safety couldn't stop harassing a girl and our second best free safety got injured on the first drive, and we didn't have a good enough option behind that.

Upsets are always possible obviously, but our 2014 team, at least as it existed prior to the UM game, would have won both those games most likely. We unfortunately weren't as good by the end of 2014 as we were at the beginning, partly because of injuries, and partly because Josh Robinson got in the habit of not taking what was there and trying to bounce everything to the outside. Our most effective running back against Ole Miss and Ga TEch was Shumpert, and no knock on him, but he wasn't close to the talent Josh was; he was just willing to take what was there. Neither UK nor Florida this year were what Bama or even Ole Miss were that year. Ole Miss's defense was as good as UK's this year but they had a better offense. Even if our 2014 had played UK without either of our top two free safeties, I'm not sure UK would have had the talent to make us pay the way UM did with their TE. I would say UF is in a similar boat although maybe they would have been more likely to knock off the post UM version of the 2014 team.

Also that Ole Miss team your referencing lost the week before us to a 6-6 Arkansas team 30-0. I am just saying if a team gets 10 wins in the SEC they are a great team. We lost to a crippled Bo Wallace because we couldn't cover Evan Engram and gave up a terrible school yard TD to Walton. That Ole Miss team had quit and we had everything on the line and choked scoring 17 with the best player in school history. FL and KY were better than the Ole Miss team we played in 2014 by the time we played them. Hell they lost 42-3 a few weeks later in the Peach Bowl. Bama was good, but that was the most vunerable they have been or ever will be again with Saban at the helm. Should have beat GT regardless of Collins leaving that loss was inexcusable and knocked us from the top 10.

I think Dan is a great coach and I never wanted him to leave, but Joe has done nothing to show he is inferior at this juncture. I am willing to wait on see what Stevens and co do this year. We may never have another Dak, or another 2018 Defense to drag a team to greatness and that is something both Joe and Dan have to live with knowing how rare both were and they didn't get the job done.

Gutter Cobreh
08-13-2019, 04:49 PM
Percy Harvin caught 133 passes, rushed for 1852 yards, had 32 TDs in only 3 years at Florida. Please list the 'bunch of Percy Harvin type receivers' Mullet recruited to MSU.

In stature, not in production. I suppose I should have been a little more clear for those reading who couldn't infer what I was referencing. My apologies.

R2Dawg
08-13-2019, 06:42 PM

So how long you been watching MSU football? I didn't say MSU history, I said my lifetime.

If Jo can't figure out our talent out in 6 months then he ain't much of a coach. Follow your logic further, so Mullen's who he also had 6 months to figure out his new talent which was less than MSU yet he still beat Jo? Yes Mullen knew MSU but he didn't know what Jo would do, he also didn't know Shoop but yet we knew Grantham. So who had the advantage? At the end of the day we royally screwed the UF game.

Take the talent we had and put Mullen, JWS, Bellard and maybe even Felker and we win those games. I still like Jo and think he gets it done but we messed on ourselves in both games.

Yep we under finished in 2014 and many other years under Mullen.

Political Hack
08-13-2019, 08:46 PM
What?? Mullen only won and average of 7

Not sure what that has to do with JoMo. But Mullen won 8 or more, more than half the time. Median is more important than mean when it comes to football wins.

Schultzy
08-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Mullen and Collins both mailed in the 2014 egg. One knew he was gone and the other thought he was.

Possibly the most important game in our school?s history and all our HC and DC could think about was their next gig and despising each another.

Tbonewannabe
08-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Mullen and Collins both mailed in the 2014 egg. One knew he was gone and the other thought he was.

Possibly the most important game in our school?s history and all our HC and DC could think about was their next gig and despising each another.

Yep, also against a QB on one good leg.

Johnson85
08-15-2019, 11:36 AM

Well, Collins did lose his starting and backup free safety that week. I can cut him some slack on the fact that a college TE/WR hybrid with NFL speed tore us up when we were relying on our third string free safety.

Todd4State
08-15-2019, 11:46 AM
Well, Collins did lose his starting and backup free safety that week. I can cut him some slack on the fact that a college TE/WR hybrid with NFL speed tore us up when we were relying on our third string free safety.

We were hurt more by 1A/1B that game. See Kivon Coman tackling Chris Jones which sprung Ole Miss for a 90+ yard rushing touchdown.

Schultzy
08-15-2019, 06:01 PM
We were hurt more by 1A/1B that game. See Kivon Coman tackling Chris Jones which sprung Ole Miss for a 90+ yard rushing touchdown.
1A & 1B were both coached that whole week by disinterested coaches (when even at practice by the way). As was the rest of the team.

And as for injuries they played wit a qb w 18 lbs of tape on one foot and we never even pressured him. Your players know when you’ve checked out.