PDA

View Full Version : Hill "This is the deepest team I've ever been around"

Coach007
08-10-2019, 06:40 PM
interesting to hear him say that! 100% happy to hear it too!

MarketingBully
08-10-2019, 06:45 PM
He’s also going to get the ball a lot this year too instead of having a QB keep it 90% of the time on read options.

Liverpooldawg
08-10-2019, 06:48 PM
He’s also going to get the ball a lot this year too instead of having a QB keep it 90% of the time on read options.

Yep.

Leroy Jenkins
08-10-2019, 07:25 PM

Joe has said that Nick kept a lot because the box count was always +1. They have one more guy than we could block, so the read is to keep; good defenses had no respect for our passing game last year. Hopefully, we can get to the point where other teams respect the pass enough that they can't "force" the QB to keep the ball. Unfortunately that is one problem with read-option, defense gets a vote in what you do.

Homedawg
08-10-2019, 07:29 PM
interesting to hear him say that! 100% happy to hear it too!

You are setting yourself up for an epic crash.

Jack Lambert
08-10-2019, 07:30 PM

And if it pans out to be true don't try hopping on the train.

MarketingBully
08-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Joe has said that Nick kept a lot because the box count was always +1. They have one more guy than we could block, so the read is to keep; good defenses had no respect for our passing game last year. Hopefully, we can get to the point where other teams respect the pass enough that they can't "force" the QB to keep the ball. Unfortunately that is one problem with read-option, defense gets a vote in what you do.

Meh, there were plenty of times especially in the red zone he kept it despite what the defense was showing and had he given it to Hill it would have been a walk-in or big gain. It was no secret to the opposing defense Fitz was keeping it.

MarketingBully
08-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Both he and 7 have put themselves in that box.

msstate7
08-10-2019, 07:45 PM

I've said 6-7 wins this year. How many you predicting?

MarketingBully
08-10-2019, 07:47 PM

I’ve said before 8 and depending on how things fall we could get 9 and possibly 10 with a bowl win.

Todd4State
08-10-2019, 07:57 PM

I would have been really surprised if Joe threw Nick under the bus. I'm sure the anti-Joe people on here would have gone nuts too.

Homedawg
08-10-2019, 08:18 PM

Hopping on the train?? Hell man I have season tickets to every sport, don't miss many games. Which is way more than 80% of this board. I want us to win. I want us to win bad. So I won't be jumping on and I'll be happy for it to happen. But this guy is overly optimistic. Sorry

Homedawg
08-10-2019, 08:19 PM

What box? Whatever dude.

Homedawg
08-10-2019, 08:19 PM
I’ve said before 8 and depending on how things fall we could get 9 and possibly 10 with a bowl win.
9 or 10?? Hahahahaha.

MarketingBully
08-10-2019, 08:20 PM
I would have been really surprised if Joe threw Nick under the bus. I'm sure the anti-Joe people on here would have gone nuts too.

Of course he’s not going to throw Fitz under the bus but when he was asked earlier this year if we were going to run the QB as many times as last year (220+ times), he acted shocked it was that much. I bet Stevens will get about as many as McSorley did which was around 120 or so and the other carries will go to the RBs.

Cooterpoot
08-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Never mind we only have 2 RBs, are thin and inexperienced at DT, and thin at CB. But, offense probably is deeper than Hill has seen, minus RB.

Jack Lambert
08-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Hopping on the train?? Hell man I have season tickets to every sport, don't miss many games. Which is way more than 80% of this board. I want us to win. I want us to win bad. So I won't be jumping on and I'll be happy for it to happen. But this guy is overly optimistic. Sorry

Posting what a key player on the team said is not being overly optimistic but being negative about what a key player said is just asinine. That's looking for something to be negative about. That is what negative people do.

Homedawg
08-10-2019, 08:53 PM
Never mind we only have 2 RBs, are thin and inexperienced at DT, and thin at CB. But, offense probably is deeper than Hill has seen, minus RB.

This guy gets it....
I'm changing my tune though and turning unreasonably optimistic, we should win 10 games. And if we don't, we should can joe***

Jack Lambert
08-10-2019, 08:59 PM
9 or 10?? Hahahahaha.

Four of conference games are wins.

Auburn is not going to be any better then last season.
A&M has not beaten us in three season and Jimbo not their Savior.
KY lost everything that made them good and they are back to average.
Arkansas is not going to be that much better.
OLe Miss is going to suck.
How much better is Tenn going to be? They sucked last season.

We could win 8 to 9 games out of that schedule.

I say the floor is 7 and the ceiling is 9.

That's not being overly optimistic. The truth of the matter is out side Alabama and GA the SEC is not that tough of a conference.

MaroonFlounder
08-10-2019, 09:00 PM
This guy gets it....
I'm changing my tune though and turning unreasonably optimistic, we should win 10 games. And if we don't, we should can joe***

You are just using reverse psychology. No shame in that.

Goldendawg
08-10-2019, 09:24 PM

6 or 7 wins, you've got to be kidding! 7 better be the bottom or our program is in big trouble. With only 6 wins, we probably beat the 4 OOC cupcakes ( and OOC schedules have become a big joke), and go 2-6 in the SEC, that's 2-6. If Jo is half the coach most of this board thinks he is and our talent is on pare with or better than KY, UM, Arky, Tn, and still have a couple of tossup opponents, 2-6 in the SEC is a total disaster and we are back in the very bottom of the West. 6-6 would not even be worth the drive to the games. I don't get this line of thought. So tell me, which 2 SEC teams do we beat to meet this great 6-6 result? 2-6 in the conference in '19 and we have no "program" at this point at all.

confucius say
08-10-2019, 09:42 PM

I?d put our 1-2 rb combo up against almost anybody in the league. How much depth do you need at rb past 1 and 2?

Thin at dt? How you figure? Inexperienced yes, but we have plenty as far as numbers go.

DownwardDawg
08-10-2019, 10:08 PM

8-4 + Bowl Game.

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2019, 10:17 PM

Sounds like Witherspoon is legit, so now we have 3 RB

Homedawg
08-10-2019, 11:28 PM
Sounds like Witherspoon is legit, so now we have 3 RB

Better hope so cause that's all we got

Goldendawg
08-10-2019, 11:31 PM
You know what I would find more disgusting in a lousy 6 win '19 season than 4 OOC wins and a 2-6 disaster in the SEC? 3-5 in the SEC and losing an OOC game to finish 6-6. 7-5 better be our floor or our "program" has taken a major step(s) back. I see 8-4 as a very good year and 9-3 or better as moving to the next level. Hail State!

Covercorner2
08-10-2019, 11:34 PM

Pick a #. 6-7 is a huge cop out:::

BuckyIsAB****
08-11-2019, 12:07 AM

If our biggest concerns are DT and CB we are going to be pretty good unless we get savaged by injury.

BuckyIsAB****
08-11-2019, 12:09 AM

The offense will be better than it was a year ago. The WRs have been awful and the QB wasnt much better so I understand this thought. But both will be better in 19 and the OL is solid as well. I think QB will be more improved than WR but still that is improvement. We have the talent at TE to help in the passing game more than we've probably ever had there as a unit that I can remember

Homedawg
08-11-2019, 12:43 AM

Ok. So it's a co opt because he said 6 or 7 or because tut a too low? How many you got them ?? But since I asked you I'll say 7-5.... floor is 5-7. Ceiling is 8-4.

Homedawg
08-11-2019, 12:45 AM
If our biggest concerns are DT and CB we are going to be pretty good unless we get savaged by injury.

My goodness, our biggest concern IS DT. If you don't know that you don't follow our team. It's not close. And he'll thats wo knowing how good Stevens is. We know we won't be great at wr. But it is what it is.

Goldendawg
08-11-2019, 01:14 AM
Ok. So it's a co opt because he said 6 or 7 or because tut a too low? How many you got them ?? But since I asked you I'll say 7-5.... floor is 5-7. Ceiling is 8-4.

A floor of 5-7? If so, somebody will need to be fired. I don't know what else to say.

MarketingBully
08-11-2019, 01:49 AM
A floor of 5-7? If so, somebody will need to be fired. I don't know what else to say.

That’s an overly negative person’s opinion. He’s expecting us to lose to Tennessee and I’m guessing his 5-7 floor he’d expect us to lose to Ole Miss and Kentucky as well which is even more laughable then anyone who predicted an overly positive record. For the record, I say 8-4 and if things go right possibly 9-3. If Fitz actually could have commanded the offense last year, you wouldn’t have all of these skeptical fans.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2019, 02:59 AM
We SHOULD go no worse than 7-5, but Joe managed to go 8-5 last year with the #1 D in the country only giving up like 12 TD's all season....so 5-7 is unfortunately very much a possibility.

Bottom line is the offense should be better and the defense worse, so 7-5 is probably the safest bet....but I wouldn't touch a bet on this team until I see Joe prove himself. Last year instilled zero confidence for me in this staff.

MarketingBully
08-11-2019, 06:40 AM
We SHOULD go no worse than 7-5, but Joe managed to go 8-5 last year with the #1 D in the country only giving up like 12 TD's all season....so 5-7 is unfortunately very much a possibility.

Bottom line is the offense should be better and the defense worse, so 7-5 is probably the safest bet....but I wouldn't touch a bet on this team until I see Joe prove himself. Last year instilled zero confidence for me in this staff.

He had no one last year who could run his offense and tried to change it a couple of games to fit a QB who basically was another running back out there. Fitz really could only be great in one system and that’s the triple option or the dummy downed system that Mullen ran. I’m giving Moorhead the benefit of the doubt on last year. If he flounders this year with a QB who has run his system basically 4 years, then you can bring out the pitchforks.

bulldogcountry1
08-11-2019, 06:57 AM
I think he means this is the most philosophical and introspective team he has ever been around.

msstate7
08-11-2019, 06:58 AM

Tell me what all players are gonna be suspended and for how long. Tell you what, o/u is 7.5, so I'm going under

MarketingBully
08-11-2019, 07:03 AM
Tell me what all players are gonna be suspended and for how long. Tell you what, o/u is 7.5, so I'm going under

This player suspension shit is getting old. These aholes on here need to put up or shut up. Even C34 is skeptical about this. KTs supposed suspension has nothing to do with what they said.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2019, 07:15 AM

No. We actually have 2 other running backs ahead of him. It's the GD 3rd RB. What team is super good at 3rd RB except Bama?

It's an irrational fear. We started Holloway at RB one year for goodness sakes.

Worrying about who the 3rd RB is an exercise in just finding something to worry about.

msstate7
08-11-2019, 07:30 AM
No. We actually have 2 other running backs ahead of him. It's the GD 3rd RB. What team is super good at 3rd RB except Bama?

It's an irrational fear. We started Holloway at RB one year for goodness sakes.

Worrying about who the 3rd RB is an exercise in just finding something to worry about.

Well hill did get hurt last season. Gibson's biggest workload in his career so far has been 45 carries in 2017. Witherspoon has no career carries. Am I saying we should freak out? Nah, but to act like this is zero reason to be concerned about rb depth is wrong.

Jarius
08-11-2019, 07:34 AM
Well hill did get hurt last season. Gibson's biggest workload in his career so far has been 45 carries in 2017. Witherspoon has no career carries. Am I saying we should freak out? Nah, but to act like this is zero reason to be concerned about rb depth is wrong.

If you're going to be concerned about the third string running back then you might as well get concerned about the 3rd string at every position we have on the team because we don't have a third string player anywhere that I'm very confident with. Neither does anyone else that doesn't recruit in the top 5 or 10 in the country. The concern at tailback for next year is a valid concern.

msstate7
08-11-2019, 07:37 AM
If you're going to be concerned about the third string running back then you might as well get concerned about the 3rd string at every position we have on the team because we don't have a third string player anywhere that I'm very confident with. Neither does anyone else that doesn't recruit in the top 5 or 10 in the country.

RBs get hurt, a lot.

And sure, most teams don't have great 3rd and 4th string RBs. The thing is, we don't don't even have a 4th string RB. God forbid, we have an injury at RB, we have serious depth issues there

R2Dawg
08-11-2019, 08:13 AM
If you're going to be concerned about the third string running back then you might as well get concerned about the 3rd string at every position we have on the team because we don't have a third string player anywhere that I'm very confident with. Neither does anyone else that doesn't recruit in the top 5 or 10 in the country. The concern at tailback for next year is a valid concern.

Agree wish we had one more good RB but if our concern has now shifted to 3rd team RB then we are in good shape. There are some 3rd team OL that I really like - Charles Cross for one.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2019, 08:16 AM
RBs get hurt, a lot.

And sure, most teams don't have great 3rd and 4th string RBs. The thing is, we don't don't even have a 4th string RB. God forbid, we have an injury at RB, we have serious depth issues there

I find it interesting how we’ve discussed this 3rd running back to death but never discuss punter, which is a far far more critical peice of our team.

I don’t know if Tucker Day can get it done

Jarius
08-11-2019, 08:22 AM
RBs get hurt, a lot.

When is the last time we had to start our 3rd string tailback at Mississippi State due to injuries?

MarketingBully
08-11-2019, 08:26 AM
RBs get hurt, a lot.

3rd string running back for us even with Hill getting hurt carried the ball 27 times. I think Witherspoon can handle it.

BorneDawg
08-11-2019, 08:28 AM
On a related topic I think I figured it what happened to Epstein in jail. He was a huge Dawg fan and all they would let him read in prison was the gloom and doom post on ED about how bad they are going to be this year and he couldn't take it any more!

That and Killary had him murdered.

msstate7
08-11-2019, 08:40 AM
3rd string running back for us even with Hill getting hurt carried the ball 27 times. I think Witherspoon can handle it.

Looking at penn st 2016 and 2017, Barkley got 272 (14 games) and 217 carries respectively. Sanders got 25 and 31 carries in those 2 years respectively. Obviously, Moorhead likes to stick with his main guy. As long as hill or Gibson stay healthy, we should be ok if that's how Moorhead really is... Barkley was so freaking good though, so it may not be the same with different RBs.

Looking at penn state rushing stats, I'm more worried about how Stevens holds up. Stevens yearly rushing totals are 21, 27, and 28. Mcsorley rushed 146 times in 2016, 144 times in 2017, and fitz rushed 221 times last year. Stevens' rush workload is gonna have to go up exponentially this season coming off an injury last season in a much more physical conference.

gravedigger
08-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Looking at penn st 2016 and 2017, Barkley got 272 (14 games) and 217 carries respectively. Sanders got 25 and 31 carries in those 2 years respectively. Obviously, Moorhead likes to stick with his main guy. As long as hill or Gibson stay healthy, we should be ok if that's how Moorhead really is... Barkley was so freaking good though, so it may not be the same with different RBs.

Looking at penn state rushing stats, I'm more worried about how Stevens holds up. Stevens yearly rushing totals are 21, 27, and 28. Mcsorley rushed 146 times in 2016, 144 times in 2017, and fitz rushed 221 times last year. Stevens' rush workload is gonna have to go up exponentially this season coming off an injury last season in a much more physical conference.

I guess that could be a concern. But that?s football. I just want good decisions. If Joe says that?s happening based on what the D is showing, I?ll accept the results.

cheewgumm
08-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Schedule is really easy. We should win 8 if we can win at Auburn OR atTennessee. 7 would be a disappointment, imo. It would definitely me ?meh?. 4 non conf gimmes , Ark, Ole Miss and Kentucky. We would have beaten 0 good teams.

Coach007
08-11-2019, 09:59 AM

not at all, because in the end.... it's a game. In the end, my hopes and dreams in life don't end with Ms St being a national champion.

Coach007
08-11-2019, 10:17 AM

When did we get rid of some RBs? I could have sworn we have Hill, Gibson, Murphy, Rivers, and Witherspoon (who is killing it right now).

We are not thin at DT... We lack some experience, but thin we are not. And that line wrecked some stuff last night with Lovett being a beast. That's against a top OL. So again, we may not be as experienced as last year but that does not mean our defense is all of the sudden shit.

MrKotter
08-11-2019, 10:31 AM
When did we get rid of some RBs? I could have sworn we have Hill, Gibson, Murphy, Rivers, and Witherspoon (who is killing it right now).

We are not thin at DT... We lack some experience, but thin we are not. And that line wrecked some stuff last night with Lovett being a beast. That's against a top OL. So again, we may not be as experienced as last year but that does not mean our defense is all of the sudden shit.

In this thread you?re supposed to come up with every illogical reason why we suck. No rational thought allowed.

msstate7
08-11-2019, 10:33 AM
In this thread you?re supposed to come up with every illogical reason why we suck. No rational thought allowed.

Yeah, it's definitely illogical to think we're a 6-8 win team and not the 10-11 monster team that coach007 predicts.

confucius say
08-11-2019, 10:33 AM
I think he means this is the most philosophical and introspective team he has ever been around.

Well played

Coach007
08-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Yeah, it's definitely illogical to think we're a 6-8 win team and not the 10-11 monster team that coach007 predicts.

No it's illogical to say we only have 2 RBs when clearly that's not the case. It's illogical to say that a defense that was #1 in the nation will suddenly be crap because of the DTs.

We had sacks last night. Lovett (DT) dropped back into coverage and tipped a pass and Morgan intercepted it. Nobody is suggesting that our OL is crap right?

4 OCC wins
Auburn
UT
Ark
Ole Miss
UK

That's 9 wins...... Leaving Bama and LSU at home.

I choose to be optimistic against those 2 teams.

Covercorner2
08-11-2019, 11:30 AM

How many do you need? With Sanders going down, Bama now has Harris, Robinson and a true freshman. Are they in bad shape?

msstate7
08-11-2019, 11:34 AM
How many do you need? With Sanders going down, Bama now has Harris, Robinson and a true freshman. Are they in bad shape?

You said Bama wasn't in good shape in that thread

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?75677-AL-five-star-RB-recruit-lost-for-season-due-to-foot-inirt

Covercorner2
08-11-2019, 11:38 AM
You said Bama wasn't in good shape in that thread

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?75677-AL-five-star-RB-recruit-lost-for-season-due-to-foot-inirt

If Harris misses time, yes. But as it stands their situation is virtually the same as ours.

StateDawg44
08-11-2019, 11:38 AM

What's wrong with someone quoting what a player has said?

There were no vast claims of what's to come or crazy bold predictions until you came in trying to kick people down for getting a little excited about football season and what a player said.

BuckyIsAB****
08-11-2019, 11:49 AM
My goodness, our biggest concern IS DT. If you don't know that you don't follow our team. It's not close. And he'll thats wo knowing how good Stevens is. We know we won't be great at wr. But it is what it is.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. If a talented but inexperienced group of DTs is our biggest concern then we are going to be pretty good. We can also go more odd front to help take the pressure off of them. We are going to be fine on defense.

The biggest concern to me is the offense and its not close

BuckyIsAB****
08-11-2019, 11:51 AM
I find it interesting how we?ve discussed this 3rd running back to death but never discuss punter, which is a far far more critical peice of our team.

I don?t know if Tucker Day can get it done

Great point. Scott Goodman can do it, he didnt get up there and forget how to punt. I thought giving a scholly to the USA kid was kind of a waste anyway

TUSK
08-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Not to be picky, but the new #3 guy is RS Fr Jerome Ford... He got a few carries last year, but played <4 games and redshirted...

He was a Hi-3*/Low 4* APB type... I don't know how good he is...

Barring a serious injury to Najee, Bammer should be aight at RB.

BuckyIsAB****
08-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Not to be picky, but the new #3 guy is RS Fr Jerome Ford... He got a few carries last year, but played <4 games and redshirted...

We have people bitching and moaning over what if injuries and who our 3rd string RB is going to be. If our biggest problems is our 3rd string RB and a group of highly recurited DTs that havent played as much as Simmons and Hoyett did, we are going to be good.

I dont think that is our biggest concerns, the biggest to me is being able to score points

Move along nothing to see here

Covercorner2
08-11-2019, 12:03 PM

True, but point is if you have to depend on your 3rd RB to be a starter/get majority of snaps it probably changes the complexion of your team. That?s the case with basically every team, not just State.

TUSK
08-11-2019, 12:07 PM
True, but point is if you have to depend on your 3rd RB to be a starter/get majority of snaps it probably changes the complexion of your team. That?s the case with basically every team, not just State.

Oh, yeah... Fact.

chef dixon
08-11-2019, 12:12 PM
If you are worried about our RB situation, you are just looking for reasons to bitch and be pessimistic. Murphy and Rivers can easily take the garbage snaps. Witherspoon will play in 4 games. Obviously an injury hurts, but its not like we have utilized more than 2 backs extensively in a season in recent memory.

007 I applaud your never ending optimism. Kylin will basically say anything positive if you see his twitter, but certainly better than him saying we suck.

DT, QB and WR are obviously our biggest question marks. Not debatable really.

chef dixon
08-11-2019, 12:13 PM

underrated comment

Coach007
08-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Ford ran and 80 yard TD in scrimmage, but pulled up at the end of the run. Looks to have a minor pull.... But he's a good back

TUSK
08-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Ford ran and 80 yard TD in scrimmage, but pulled up at the end of the run. Looks to have a minor pull.... But he's a good back

Robinson is who I wanna see... dude is vastly underrated, IMO... Good size (225-230) and the fastest RB of the last few years.

Coach007
08-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Robinson is who I wanna see... dude is vastly underrated, IMO... Good size (225-230) and the fastest RB of the last few years.

I think your main concern is that OL.

TUSK
08-11-2019, 12:35 PM
I think your main concern is that OL.

ILB....

HoopsDawg
08-11-2019, 01:10 PM
If you are worried about our RB situation, you are just looking for reasons to bitch and be pessimistic. Murphy and Rivers can easily take the garbage snaps. Witherspoon will play in 4 games. Obviously an injury hurts, but its not like we have utilized more than 2 backs extensively in a season in recent memory.

007 I applaud your never ending optimism. Kylin will basically say anything positive if you see his twitter, but certainly better than him saying we suck.

DT, QB and WR are obviously our biggest question marks. Not debatable really.

I'm not concerned about QB. Stevens is solid. To me it's DT, Moorhead, WR's.

Coach007
08-11-2019, 01:10 PM
ILB....

I'm gonna disagree... your OL was getting wrecked by the 2s brother. I get the injuries at that position though. And your punter... dude nailed a 70 yard punt and a 50 yard FG (in the rain!) That's nice.