PDA

View Full Version : Will Our Athletic Department Do A better Job of Marketing Our Players This Season?

ShotgunDawg
08-07-2019, 10:43 AM
This is something that bothered me last year & early indications are we are headed down the same road again.

With our baseball program, there is a connection between our players & the fans. Same thing with the Women's basketball program.

However, for the football program, we don't seem to do anything that helps our fans get to know the players. We close practice most days & don't really do much in the media to market or expose our players to the fans.

A few years ago we did "The Season" type videos & those were great but they may have been too long. Last year we did like 2 minute highlight videos & that wasn't nearly enough. Seems like there should be a happy medium of a 10-15 min, Monday morning & Thursday morning videos that could be watched quickly during a coffee break at work & not run down your entire phone battery.

I just feel like the athletic department is not giving the average fan a chance to know the players & who they are as people & in return that leads to a lack of connection between the fans & players.

As our Women's basketball team as benefited from this over the past 5 years & our baseball program has benefited from this over the past 40 years, it just seems as though it would help our football program for there to be more transparency

Jack Lambert
08-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Baseball is more cut and dry. Everyone knows what you do in each situation. The only thing that is secret is the pitch called from the dug out to the catcher. In football you don't want to give anything away as to what you are planning. I can see why you would keep football secret where in other sports you don't.

Hell what kind of money could you get from other SEC schools if you got film of Alabama's practice? Especially during game week.

StarkVegasSteve
08-07-2019, 11:39 AM
This is something that bothered me last year & early indications are we are headed down the same road again.

With our baseball program, there is a connection between our players & the fans. Same thing with the Women's basketball program.

However, for the football program, we don't seem to do anything that helps our fans get to know the players. We close practice most days & don't really do much in the media to market or expose our players to the fans.

A few years ago we did "The Season" type videos & those were great but they may have been too long. Last year we did like 2 minute highlight videos & that wasn't nearly enough. Seems like there should be a happy medium of a 10-15 min, Monday morning & Thursday morning videos that could be watched quickly during a coffee break at work & not run down your entire phone battery.

I just feel like the athletic department is not giving the average fan a chance to know the players & who they are as people & in return that leads to a lack of connection between the fans & players.

As our Women's basketball team as benefited from this over the past 5 years & our baseball program has benefited from this over the past 40 years, it just seems as though it would help our football program for there to be more transparency

I really liked the "Relentless" series. I thought it was very good and I didn't think it was too long. It was a great watch and always thought it was very well produced. Wish they would bring those back, but I know with the AD cuts that it won't happen. Hell, I'm still pissed we stopped doing the Hailstate Highlight videos. Those always got me fired up on Thursdays.

KOdawg1
08-07-2019, 11:53 AM
I really liked the "Relentless" series. I thought it was very good and I didn't think it was too long. It was a great watch and always thought it was very well produced. Wish they would bring those back, but I know with the AD cuts that it won't happen. Hell, I'm still pissed we stopped doing the Hailstate Highlight videos. Those always got me fired up on Thursdays.

Even though we lost the game, this one was my favorite. I was ready to run through a brick wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fhZUQvdT0s

StarkVegasSteve
08-07-2019, 12:42 PM
That one had me ready to run to Tuscaloosa for the game. A bunch of us were actually sitting in a class in McCool and when it came out about half the class put their headphones in and were watching it. Everyone's reaction was awesome.

StateDawg44
08-07-2019, 12:54 PM
I really think KY did a good job this past year taking advantage of marketing their players and their brand while they were in the spotlight.

StarkVegasSteve
08-07-2019, 01:11 PM
I really think KY did a good job this past year taking advantage of marketing their players and their brand while they were in the spotlight.

Agreed. Kash Daniel now has a cult following because of Gatorade smashing after they beat Florida in the Swamp

RougeDawg
08-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Considering how poorly they perform the actual duties they are supposed to do, like monitoring tutors and academics, I will not hold my breath.

TheLostDawg
08-07-2019, 08:15 PM
This

TheLostDawg
08-07-2019, 08:16 PM

This

BuckyIsAB****
08-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Football is a different gam, Its a team game baseball is much more individual. Football is not about a certain player or getting to know what their favorite song is or laughing at them on the kiss cam. Im not disagreeing with you our marketing team could be better you can always improve. Football aint as transparent as baseball is or basketball

Lord McBuckethead
08-08-2019, 01:37 AM
Well to be honest, whichever talking points they bring up for the 1st game is what we are going to get for the entire season. You would think one of our marketing people would put together 5-10 talking points about every playmaker on our team. Adjust those items for the players that get hot like Landrews last year.

Then hand it over to the commentators, sec nation. Gameday guys etc.

Lord McBuckethead
08-08-2019, 01:38 AM
Just saying. Last year it was Fitz being inaccurate, dline and Moorhead in the south. Time to hang that simple shit up.

IngomarDawg
08-08-2019, 07:47 AM
I agree that it would be nice, but its harder to market the players individually mainly because it is a helmet sport and you don't get to see the players faces as much. Baseball and basketball you see the players faces and raw emotion of that with every play where as football you just see some guy with a helmet blocking most of his face. But I would like to find a way to highlight the players more.

TheLostDawg
08-08-2019, 07:50 AM
1 I think they should bring the relentless videos back. Just a five minute clip before each home game at least. I feel like it fires the fans up and gets people to the game/at minimum watch it on TV.
2 I'm okay with player publicity in football but I'd rather have the relentless series. I think the videos represent the hard work and dedication of the team and show it's a team sport. Also if I had to watch Dillon day shaking his head back and forth one more time on the jumbo Tron I might have sold my remaining tickets.

BorneDawg
08-08-2019, 02:24 PM
https://youtu.be/gN3FjrkVxAY

Leeshouldveflanked
08-08-2019, 06:23 PM
I wonder if they will replace Derek Cody or just pay that money to Joey Jones?...

Tmjdog
08-08-2019, 09:24 PM

I agree 100 %. When we have a player make a game changing 30 yard run, or a receiver make a critical 3rd down diving catch, you better have your binoculars & program handy because our game announcers will NEVER talk about it, identify the player or make a big deal out of it. Other SEC schools do a much better job recognizing & praising great plays & players. I have talked about this for years. We have a great Jumbotron. We need to use it in the right way. I realize football is a team sport, but we are missing a big opportunity to celebrate our great plays & players. Like I said, other SEC schools do a much better job. Particularly our in state rival. I hope someone in our athletic Dept will take note. USE THAT JUMBOTRON TO PROMOTE OUR GREAT PLAYS & PLAYERS.

Bass Chaser
08-08-2019, 09:34 PM
I think a bigger staff is needed. From what I've read it takes at least 30 minutes of editing for every minute of video.

StarkVegasSteve
08-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Well apparently they listened to us. Really like the behind the scenes camp video they put out today of Joe. Thought it was long enough that it had some good content, but not too long that you couldn't watch the whole thing pretty quickly

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-08-2019, 10:07 PM
I think a bigger staff is needed. From what I've read it takes at least 30 minutes of editing for every minute of video.

Ehh it all depends on what kind of video and how good you are