PDA

View Full Version : Kareem Walker

StarkVegasSteve
08-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Being reported by some that its looking more and more likely that Kareem Walker won't be making it to campus and probably won't be apart of our program. This really puts us in a bind next year if Kylin turns pro. We'll have to hit the transfer market hard

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Being reported by some that its looking more and more likely that Kareem Walker won't be making it to campus and probably won't be apart of our program. This really puts us in a bind next year if Kylin turns pro. We'll have to hit the transfer market hard

We were going to have to do that anyway. I don't know many if any that was expecting Walker to ever be a major contributor at MSU. I'll say I'm in the camp that Kylin will be at MSU in 2020.

chef dixon
08-06-2019, 02:53 PM
Marks is going to play a lot next year regardless of what happens I would assume. Witherspoon too.

msstate7
08-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Brenton cox, come on down...

Irondawg
08-06-2019, 03:03 PM
What the heck happened there? Did we or the NCAA not accept one of his classes?

It always amazes me to see how many JUCO have their academics so messed up and its why I'd have to just love a kid to take one that couldn't get out in December.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2019, 03:05 PM
What the heck happened there? Did we or the NCAA not accept one of his classes?

It always amazes me to see how many JUCO have their academics so messed up and its why I'd have to just love a kid to take one that couldn't get out in December.

I think it was more the kid didn't handle his business the last couple of classes. The path was there to finish & be on campus but the kid has to handle his end.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2019, 03:06 PM
Brenton cox, come on down...

I have someone else in mind for that scholarship. We'll see if it plays out.

Bothrops
08-06-2019, 03:10 PM
If you don't make it by fall camp something is wrong.

Doggie_Style
08-06-2019, 03:14 PM
I have someone else in mind for that scholarship. We'll see if it plays out.

L'damien Webb maybe...

NCDawg
08-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Guess Moorhead was wrong in his press conference last week when he said Walker would be here the early part of this week.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2019, 03:34 PM
L'damien Webb maybe...

Naw

KOdawg1
08-06-2019, 03:55 PM
This is where getting Ealy last year would have been big. I expect us to pursue a grad transfer RB regardless if Hill goes pro or not. Marks and Dillon Johnson better get ready, bc I have a feeling their number will be called soon

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2019, 03:59 PM
- Still not sure why we didn’t get Ealy

- Is 247 getting lazy on digging for information? Has a lack of competition led to laziness? Just feels like between Walker and the punter, they would’ve had more information

Dawg2003
08-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Yeah, what happened with all of that? For months, Rosebowl was heavily pushing the narrative the Walker would be at State and insinuated that anyone who questioned that narrative was ill informed. Now all of a sudden he's not expected to be on campus. What kind of sources do they have?

Covercorner2
08-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Yeah, what happened with all of that? For months, Rosebowl was heavily pushing the narrative the Walker would be at State and insinuated that anyone who questioned that narrative was ill informed. Now all of a sudden he's not expected to be on campus. What kind of sources do they have?

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like Walker was the one providing the info. Straight from the horse's mouth type of deal. Well now whether intentional or not, that info is not accurate. Just speculating, but that's what I think happened....

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Do we really need to remind people of Rosebowl's history of bad info? I realize he got a lot right in the OM deal - but before that most people took everything he said with a grain of salt.

Todd4State
08-06-2019, 08:56 PM
Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like Walker was the one providing the info. Straight from the horse's mouth type of deal. Well now whether intentional or not, that info is not accurate. Just speculating, but that's what I think happened....

I will say that Joe Moorhead also said that he would be on campus this week as well. I'm not sure if Joe was going off of info from Walker himself or what- but I would think that Moorhead would be getting updates from someone more familiar with NCAA eligibility.

maroonmania
08-06-2019, 09:31 PM
If you don't make it by fall camp something is wrong.

To be honest, next year is when we would likely really need him and based on his struggles and lack of effort in JUCO I have zero faith that he could stay eligible at MSU over an entire academic year to be eligible in 2020 even if he somehow squeaks in for this year.

Scared_Hitless
08-06-2019, 10:26 PM
Joe seems adapt at working the transfer portal time to go find a few RBs that can play next season.

biggun
08-06-2019, 10:55 PM

Apparently, not very dependable ones

Homedawg
08-06-2019, 11:03 PM

Rosebowl never wrong. I heard it here before.....

Homedawg
08-06-2019, 11:04 PM
- Still not sure why we didn’t get Ealy

- Is 247 getting lazy on digging for information? Has a lack of competition led to laziness? Just feels like between Walker and the punter, they would’ve had more information

Well we were behind but jomo didn't help that one....

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-07-2019, 07:33 AM
I think it was more the kid didn't handle his business the last couple of classes. The path was there to finish & be on campus but the kid has to handle his end.

I've listened to the Zach Smith podcast "Menace 2 Society" a couple of times. Walker was specifically mentioned and he went the story of why Ohio State backed off and he ended up at Michigan. It was grade/responsibility related too.

msstate7
08-07-2019, 07:41 AM
Walker is the type of lottery ticket I like us taking a chance on, but it seems we put too much faith in him working out. We're an injury or 2 away at an injury prone position from being in a real mess at rb

Scared_Hitless
08-07-2019, 08:00 AM
Walker is the type of lottery ticket I like us taking a chance on, but it seems we put too much faith in him working out. We're an injury or 2 away at an injury prone position from being in a real mess at rb

1 or 2 injuries Marcus Murphy going to have to play RB for us. It is a very bad position to be in.

Doggie_Style
08-07-2019, 08:26 AM

I disagree. Walker has been consistent in everything he has done post HS. He has consistently under achieved at every aspect on and off the field. Why would you tie up with a guy like that? It's been nearly 4 years since he flashed elite talent on the field.

bulldawg28
08-07-2019, 08:35 AM
1 or 2 injuries Marcus Murphy going to have to play RB for us. It is a very bad position to be in.

No it doesn't. How many teams actually use 3 RB's as primary backs? We're not one of those teams.

msstate7
08-07-2019, 08:36 AM
I disagree. Walker has been consistent in everything he has done post HS. He has consistently under achieved at every aspect on and off the field. Why would you tie up with a guy like that? It's been nearly 4 years since he flashed elite talent on the field.

Well, again, I wouldn't have gotten in a position where we were counting on anything. I do like the idea of filling 4-5 spots with lottery tickets every year though

Saltydog
08-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Could Malik Dear possibly step into the 3rd RB position? Yeah, he's apparently lost a step or two since the injury but I always thought he had the ability and build to be a SEC RB.

dantheman4248
08-07-2019, 09:41 AM
It’s not like Joe likes to hand off the ball more than five times a game so I don’t see what the big deal is. /s

msstate7
08-07-2019, 09:45 AM
It’s not like Joe likes to hand off the ball more than five times a game so I don’t see what the big deal is. /s

^^^ like

Saltydog
08-07-2019, 10:30 AM
AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!

Bothrops
08-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Could Malik Dear possibly step into the 3rd RB position? Yeah, he's apparently lost a step or two since the injury but I always thought he had the ability and build to be a SEC RB.

No.

biggun
08-07-2019, 04:33 PM

Solid Gold!!!

Johnson85
08-07-2019, 04:43 PM

That ship has sailed. He probably could have been a Josh Robinson type back if he'd wanted to, but he's not going to transition to RB as a senior and be better than our other options.

Cowbell
08-07-2019, 05:09 PM
That ship has sailed. He probably could have been a Josh Robinson type back if he'd wanted to, but he's not going to transition to RB as a senior and be better than our other options.

Be better than air. He would only need to be better than air.

I?ve always thought he should be in the backfield.

Bothrops
08-07-2019, 05:14 PM

Josh Robinson was a stud.

Johnson85
08-08-2019, 08:56 AM

We have Hill, Gibson, Witherspoon, and Alec Murphy. We have Marcus Murphy who played RB in high school I believe and is a So, so would also help next year if shit hit the fan for us at the RB position. We also have a guy named Robert Rivers who I know nothing about; I assume he's a walk-on?

So we have two legit SEC options in Hill and Gibson. Alec Murphy may or may not be a legit SEC back but has been in the system and isn't air and would presumably be better at blocking than somebody who hasn't done it basically ever. Withserspoon has legit speed and I assume would be a disaster trying to block this year, but any experience he got would at least help us going forward. Then we have Marcus Murphy, who at least played RB in high school and again, any snaps he got would potentially help us next year if shit hits the fan for us as far as the RB position goes (Hill leaving early and/or major injury and/or recruiting misses).

Maybe we put in some plays for him to take advantage of his ability as a playmaker (assuming he has gotten his speed and quickness back after his injury), but I think us getting to a point where Malik would be one of our top three options would require three injuries to the players ahead of him. Certainly not unheard of in the SEC, but would pretty much derail any team's season.

Lord McBuckethead
08-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Josh Robinson was a stud.

I would have loved to see Josh go one more season in college. But hey, he had family situations that forced that hand.

MedDawg
08-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Don't forget the two QB backfield. Used a little at the end of last season and used more at Penn State with Stevens and McSorley. Both QB's can run and throw, and I know Stevens can catch.

StateDawg44
08-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Don't forget the two QB backfield. Used a little at the end of last season and used more at Penn State with Stevens and McSorley. Both QB's can run and throw, and I know Stevens can catch.

Trotting the starting and backup QB's out there too many times, God forbidden, we are down 3 RB's at some point in the season would really be rolling the dice. I hope this wouldn't be the 4th option.

dantheman4248
08-08-2019, 10:20 AM

Twice the throwing, half the running. Joe Moorhead wants to know your location.

Todd4State
08-08-2019, 12:09 PM
I would have loved to see Josh go one more season in college. But hey, he had family situations that forced that hand.

I think Dan encouraged him to leave too.

fishwater99
08-08-2019, 01:55 PM

Dear played RB in HS and was a stud, not sure why he wanted to play WR. Thanks Dan Mullen...

Finished his high school career with 3,298 rushing yards and 2,410 receiving yards ? Racked up 84 total touchdowns in four seasons (56 rushing, 26 receiving, two special teams).

dantheman4248
08-08-2019, 01:56 PM
I think Dan encouraged him to leave too.

I would hope so. God > Family > Football is what all these coaches preach. Family and life changing money is more important than risking it all for a trophy.

dantheman4248
08-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Dear played RB in HS and was a stud, not sure why he wanted to play WR. Thanks Dan Mullen...

Finished his high school career with 3,298 rushing yards and 2,410 receiving yards ? Racked up 84 total touchdowns in four seasons (56 rushing, 26 receiving, two special teams).

Look at all these short shelf lives that HBs have nowadays in the NFL and the short end of the contract stick they all get. Makes more sense kids wisening up and rather play WR. Don’t blame them taking their health into their own hands there.

thf24
08-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Regardless of the specific reason or reasons he ended up at WR instead of RB, it's common knowledge now that Dear is adverse to contact. There's no way you're going to be a positive contributor at RB in the SEC being adverse to contact. Moot point.

Leroy Jenkins
08-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Regardless of the specific reason or reasons he ended up at WR instead of RB, it's common knowledge now that Dear is adverse to contact. There's no way you're going to be a positive contributor at RB in the SEC being adverse to contact. Moot point.

Averse.... and yes, that is the reason. I cant fault him for that part. And also, the previous staff sold him on being Percy Harvin.

Percho
08-08-2019, 04:23 PM
I would hope so. God > Family > Football is what all these coaches preach. Family and life changing money is more important than risking it all for a trophy.

Would like to see his tax returns since he left.

Homedawg
08-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Would like to see his tax returns since he left.

He didn't get any life changing money. And based on his history, what little he made is long gone. But he was a great player for us, no doubt.

Johnson85
08-09-2019, 08:28 AM

Not sure Robinson got anything more valuable than he would have gotten from an additional year in the spotlight at MSU. There's a lot of value to being a beloved college football player in Mississippi. You have to have some skills to take advantage of it, and I don't know Robinson's ability to do so, but for someone that can, the increased earnings over a career in Mississippi is worth more than getting a few hundred thousand dollars a year earlier.

msstate7
08-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Not sure Robinson got anything more valuable than he would have gotten from an additional year in the spotlight at MSU. There's a lot of value to being a beloved college football player in Mississippi. You have to have some skills to take advantage of it, and I don't know Robinson's ability to do so, but for someone that can, the increased earnings over a career in Mississippi is worth more than getting a few hundred thousand dollars a year earlier.

Minimum nfl contract was ~ $500,000 in 2015. He got hurt and cut because of the injury. Hard to fault the kid for leaving when he got drafted

Tbonewannabe
08-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Minimum nfl contract was ~ $500,000 in 2015. He got hurt and cut because of the injury. Hard to fault the kid for leaving when he got drafted

Looking back in hindsight, 6th round pick doesn't get that much and is lucky to do more than make the scout team. Of course that still pays really well for someone out of college combined with the shelf life of a RB. I don't fault him for leaving but not sure if he could have moved up a few rounds with another good year and in the SEC spotlight.

Johnson85
08-09-2019, 11:49 AM

$430k is what I think it was in 2015. Definitely not bad, and I'm not blaming him for leaving. But if he had come back, it's highly likely he would have had a very good season and would have generated a lot of good will in the state of Mississippi. Not sure what Josh's skills are, but if he could be a salesperson in a reasonably lucrative field, that could have been a year well spent.

fishwater99
08-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Averse.... and yes, that is the reason. I cant fault him for that part. And also, the previous staff sold him on being Percy Harvin.

^^This

Tbonewannabe
08-09-2019, 11:56 AM
$430k is what I think it was in 2015. Definitely not bad, and I'm not blaming him for leaving. But if he had come back, it's highly likely he would have had a very good season and would have generated a lot of good will in the state of Mississippi. Not sure what Josh's skills are, but if he could be a salesperson in a reasonably lucrative field, that could have been a year well spent.

That is also considering that he was on the 53 man roster for the entire season, I don't think he was for the entire year. I think being on the practice squad is still close to $130,000 if you are on it for the entire year. That is great money for a recent college grad although I think you can only do it for 3 years or so.

Jarius
08-10-2019, 02:08 AM

Well deciding to play wide receiver ensured that he never has to get hit at all, considering his place on the depth chart.

Entodawg
08-10-2019, 06:38 AM
If Cam Akers doesn?t go pro after this season, I?d love to see him grad transfer to State. Fills a need and pisses off the Rebels.

Goldendawg
08-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Walker's stats on the field at what, two JC's and the failure to see him listed on the academic Honor rolls has given me little hope for his appearance at State. BTW, has that Iowa JC 2020 commit WR even visited State yet?

R2Dawg
08-10-2019, 05:06 PM

Agree with your priorities but the discernment of Josh's situation was not good. His college education would have helped his family more not getting cut and having nothing after a year. Josh could have pushed his stock up too another year. D. Wilson was another one bad move. Don't blame the young men being tempted but they should have gotten some better counseling.

R2Dawg
08-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Looking back in hindsight, 6th round pick doesn't get that much and is lucky to do more than make the scout team. Of course that still pays really well for someone out of college combined with the shelf life of a RB. I don't fault him for leaving but not sure if he could have moved up a few rounds with another good year and in the SEC spotlight.

Considering the short shelf life for RB, even more reason to get his education if you ask me. He would have still got his 500K the next year. 500K ain't much these days, it can get gone real quick.

Todd4State
08-10-2019, 05:21 PM
If Cam Akers doesn?t go pro after this season, I?d love to see him grad transfer to State. Fills a need and pisses off the Rebels.

It was asinine for our old staff to not go after him harder than they did.