PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating TV setup

stalkingpoon
08-04-2019, 01:01 PM
What are you guys using that have Directv? Any recommendations on dish mounts?

Dawgfan1013
08-04-2019, 02:45 PM
We use directv and had the luxury of a machine shop so we have a permanent metal base that the dish is never taken off. All we do is level and point. Takes 5 minutes tops.

Dawgbite
08-04-2019, 06:01 PM
I’ve got a King Cube automatic dish as well as a wine guard portable dish. The Cube is the easiest but the portable dish is probably faster after the first time you do it. Get Sat Finder App on your phone and it’s simple to point a manual dish.

SaintDawg
08-04-2019, 06:16 PM
I use a Dish TV Tailgater. Pay only for the months you need it. Never had a problem.

Mjoelner34
08-05-2019, 06:55 PM
I use a Dish TV Tailgater. Pay only for the months you need it. Never had a problem.

This.

I have DTV at home but after watching a guy struggle to get an HD set-up going at his tailgate where you have to get azimuth, elevation and rotation, I opted for the plan that Saint is talking about. I pay for September through November then shut it off and store it until next season.

stalkingpoon
08-05-2019, 07:51 PM
About how much did all the equipment run ya?

Mjoelner34
08-05-2019, 08:05 PM
If I remember correctly, it was just shy of $500. That was for the tailgater dish, reciever and remote control. I don't remember if the coax was included but that cost is a drop in the bucket comparatively.

Lord McBuckethead
08-05-2019, 08:10 PM
I will second the tailgater. I have also used a roku running off of my unlimited data hotspot. Worked awesome.

Ezsoil
08-05-2019, 11:39 PM
I will second the tailgater. I have also used a roku running off of my unlimited data hotspot. Worked awesome.

Does your hotspot work well on gamedays?

SaintDawg
08-06-2019, 07:04 AM
If I remember correctly, it was just shy of $500. That was for the tailgater dish, reciever and remote control. I don't remember if the coax was included but that cost is a drop in the bucket comparatively.
Sometimes you can catch them on sale. Bought mine for $300. They do come with coax, but not enough. An extra 50 foot roll is what I got.

Dawgbite
08-06-2019, 07:31 AM
The best way to get the DISH system is to buy the setup they sale for campers and RV's. Campers World will run it on sale for between $300 and $400 for the complete system with the automatic dish and less with the Wineguard manual dish.

Dawgbite
08-06-2019, 07:36 AM
My brother in law had a Dish Tailgater dish only that he wanted to sell for $150 a few months ago. I do not know if he sold it yet.

Political Hack
08-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Wine guard is the best imo. Once you sync your box with the new satellite, it's as easy as it gets.

Coach007
08-06-2019, 03:09 PM
I would say the cheapest route is an android box with a streaming service. Box anywhere from free (with a service) to $100 with most being around 35-70. You can find streaming services for all games from 15 to 30 bucks for a month.

Drewbowski
08-06-2019, 05:19 PM
It may be the cheapest route but I worry about my internet connection on gamedays.

Mjoelner34
08-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Something to take into account before you take the plung on a satellite at your tailgate is the location of your tailgate. If you're packed in the middle of other tents, have tall trees to your S and SW or a building blocking your S or SW view, you may not be able to get a signal. You can google to find the azimuth and elevation you need for DTV or DISH in Starkville then drop by campus with a compass or an app on your phone before the season (if you have a chance) and check out your spot. For years I had tailgated under the treeline on the east side of Bully Grass but 2 years ago I had to move to the north end next to Hill's parking lot due to the trees growing taller and getting thicker. If I moved my dish from under the trees, it would have been very close to, if not in, a traffic lane.

Coach007
08-06-2019, 05:56 PM
It may be the cheapest route but I worry about my internet connection on gamedays.

I literally use my phone as a hot spot. we have zero problems.

So a $50 box with 4k ability that I use in my home is packed up (about the size of a biscuit .... the country in me) and taken. I use the exact same service at home while there. No extra costs.

My service at home... $20 per month and I get all the sports channels.

stalkingpoon
08-07-2019, 10:29 AM
I literally use my phone as a hot spot. we have zero problems.

So a $50 box with 4k ability that I use in my home is packed up (about the size of a biscuit .... the country in me) and taken. I use the exact same service at home while there. No extra costs.

My service at home... $20 per month and I get all the sports channels.

Is this AT&T? I have a mobile ATT hotspot I could hook up to my Apple TV and use Watch ESPN, but I'm not sure how well ATTs service is on game day.

stalkingpoon
08-11-2019, 02:27 PM
We use directv and had the luxury of a machine shop so we have a permanent metal base that the dish is never taken off. All we do is level and point. Takes 5 minutes tops.

I’ve acquired an extra directv slim line dish. How do you hook your power inserter up to so the swm connects to dish?

Coach007
08-11-2019, 02:44 PM
Is this AT&T? I have a mobile ATT hotspot I could hook up to my Apple TV and use Watch ESPN, but I'm not sure how well ATTs service is on game day.

No, I actually have Sprint. I get 50 gigs of high speed each month ...per phone line.

Lord McBuckethead
08-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Does your hotspot work well on gamedays?

Sure did. Worked all day. I also take an over the air antenna for the cbs game.

Lord McBuckethead
08-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Mine wa Verizon

Coach007
08-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Mine wa Verizon

When 5g gets here, cable(except for internet) and sat will pretty much be done. We will also see a huge reduction in costs too

RocketDawg
08-11-2019, 04:21 PM
When 5g gets here, cable(except for internet) and sat will pretty much be done. We will also see a huge reduction in costs too

I know very little about what 5G will do. How will that change things?

Coach007
08-11-2019, 04:34 PM
I know very little about what 5G will do. How will that change things?

5g will offer speeds of 100mbps to 1.4 gbps in streaming.

It's like taking your home internet speeds with you where ever you go.

That means cable companies will be forced to compete with streaming services for live tv.

Price war.... consumer wins either way.

With 4g, I have no problems streaming now. So....