PDA

View Full Version : Top 5

justwin
08-04-2019, 12:06 AM
Besides QB, our top 5 best offensive playmakers / scorers, what say you? Coach Joe says he identifies his top 5 in preseason to distribute touches to for tds.

My guess in order

Kylin
Whop
Zuber
Nick Gibson
Austin Williams

https://hailstate.com/roster.aspx?path=football ~ roster you can filter by position

SmokeyDawg
08-04-2019, 12:27 AM
Kylin
Zuber
Guidry
Whop
Please be a tight end

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 02:02 AM
Kylin
Tommy Stevens
Zuber
Osirus
Guidry

ShotgunDawg
08-04-2019, 05:26 AM
Kylin
Tommy Stevens
Zuber
Osirus
Guidry

Guidry is our most explosive WR. Just needs to catch better.

Kylin
Stevens
Guidry
Zuber
Spivey

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 06:29 AM

Kylin
Stevens
Guidry
Zuber
Spivey

I think he's lazy.

ShotgunDawg
08-04-2019, 06:41 AM
I think he's lazy.

He may be but he’s the most explosive. Making him our 5th best playmaker just means you don’t believe in him. I actually think he’s going to have a big year. Seems like he’s been much quieter as of late

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 07:45 AM
He may be but he’s the most explosive. Making him our 5th best playmaker just means you don’t believe in him. I actually think he’s going to have a big year. Seems like he’s been much quieter as of late

I don't believe in him. He was a dud in the spring game and he has not shown me anything to believe that he has changed. Hope he proves me wrong but there's a reason why LSU passed on this guy.

Rick Danko
08-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Besides QB, our top 5 best offensive playmakers

https://hailstate.com/roster.aspx?path=football ~ roster you can filter by position

There are some people in this thread that struggle with reading comprehension....

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 08:25 AM
There are some people in this thread that struggle with reading comprehension....

I don't think any of our other guys are the good at being playmakers. Honestly.

HoopsDawg
08-04-2019, 09:19 AM
I don't think QB should be exempt:

1. Kylin
2. Stevens
3. Zuber
4. Guidry
5. Mitchell

Jarius
08-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Javonte Payton has gotten really good reviews in Summer workouts.

Ari Gold
08-04-2019, 09:38 AM
The top Playmakers outside the QB will be
1. Hill
2. Guidry
3. Zuber
4. Mitchell
5. Gibson

Dark horse pick is Spivey..

I’m going to try and get in practice or 2 once once we go pads and I might have a different list.

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Outside of the QB.

Kylin Hill
Deddrick Thomas
Isaiah Zuber
Stephen Guidry
Nick Gibson

Spivey could be a difference maker if he gets enough reps. Farrod is going to get the biggest share of reps there and that is understandable bc he is a vet and a hell of a blocker but Spivey has NFL talent.

Devonta Jason should be on this list by season's end. Its time for him to be a dawg

Homedawg
08-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Outside of the QB.

Kylin Hill
Deddrick Thomas
Isaiah Zuber
Stephen Guidry
Nick Gibson

Spivey could be a difference maker if he gets enough reps. Farrod is going to get the biggest share of reps there and that is understandable bc he is a vet and a hell of a blocker but Spivey has NFL talent.

Devonta Jason should be on this list by season's end. Its time for him to be a dawg

Y'all cool the jets on whop being on the list.....maybe next year.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Hill
Zuber
Guidry
Thomas
D. Jones

RiverCityDawg
08-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Hill
Zuber
Guidry
Thomas
D. Jones

Good list. I think Zuber may end up in the slot with Guidry and Mitchell on the outside, so may put Mitchell ahead of Thomas just for that for that reason.

I agree with you on the last one... I understand the temptation to look forward to Spivey and Cumbest, but I think Dontae Jones is a sleeper to be the top TE this year.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Thomas seems to be the guy that is running under the radar. If you look back at some of last year's games he caught most everything that was thrown his way. He's not going to win the jump battles but can run great routes.

chef dixon
08-04-2019, 12:46 PM
If Thomas is one of our top playmakers we prob aint gonna be that dynamic

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Y'all cool the jets on whop being on the list.....maybe next year.

I didnt put him on the list. I said he should be by the end of the year bc it is time for him to be. Year 2 we should see some marked improvement thats just natural progression

Cowbell
08-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Kylin
Zuber
Whop
Gibson
Guidry

Also think our combination of TEs will be huge. We honestly have a lot of potential at wr and te to not be explosive on offense. There are just too many warm bodies, most with experience, that we will have to be able to find 3-4 that can consistently catch the ball.

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2019, 01:38 PM
If Thomas is one of our top playmakers we prob aint gonna be that dynamic

Hes the best route runner on the team. He is the only one who showed he can consistently beat man coverage. Guidry is a head case and Mitchell cant catch. Thomas can ball he will get a shot somewhere in the league when his time is done. Perfect slot guy

MaroonFlounder
08-04-2019, 02:29 PM
As stated in earlier comments, if JoMo would get TEs involved like he did Gisecki at PSU, at the right time in games, there are huge plays to be had. Green's experience, and the best blocker. The size and athleticism of Spivey and Cumbest. I would flex them out like Mullen did with Jordan Thomas.

chef dixon
08-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Hes the best route runner on the team. He is the only one who showed he can consistently beat man coverage. Guidry is a head case and Mitchell cant catch. Thomas can ball he will get a shot somewhere in the league when his time is done. Perfect slot guy

You're just proving how low the bar is. Consistently beat man coverage for 19 receptions last year. He's a decent player but I've never seen him do something and think "playmaker"

Homedawg
08-04-2019, 04:05 PM

D Thomas isn't going to sniff playing in the NFL. Night he sign a FA deal to get a shot? Maybe. Maybe. But he'll never make a practice squad, much less a roster.

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2019, 08:13 PM
D Thomas isn't going to sniff playing in the NFL. Night he sign a FA deal to get a shot? Maybe. Maybe. But he'll never make a practice squad, much less a roster.

We will agree to disagree

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2019, 08:15 PM
You're just proving how low the bar is. Consistently beat man coverage for 19 receptions last year. He's a decent player but I've never seen him do something and think "playmaker"

Well some of that was on the QB... we havent really been a good passing offense since 2015. If Stevens can get it to him he can be a 50 reception guy if he gets enough targets

Homedawg
08-04-2019, 08:19 PM
We will agree to disagree

Fair enough. It will be proven one way or the other some enough....

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 09:42 PM

I think he may do really well in Canada.

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 09:44 PM

I hope that Payton and Whop are starting by the end of the year along with Zuber. That would mean everyone stepped up and panned out.

Ari Gold
08-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Hill
Zuber
Guidry
Thomas
D. Jones

I like the Jones pick..

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 11:21 PM
I like the Jones pick..

I am a big fan of Dontae Jones as well.

R2Dawg
08-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Kylin
Whop
Zuber
Guidry
a TE - Dantea Jones or F.Green

BuckyIsAB****
08-05-2019, 12:06 PM
I hope that Payton and Whop are starting by the end of the year along with Zuber. That would mean everyone stepped up and panned out.

Payton I kind of doubt but Whop I could see.

Johnson85
08-05-2019, 04:49 PM
The top Playmakers outside the QB will be
1. Hill
2. Guidry
3. Zuber
4. Mitchell
5. Gibson

Dark horse pick is Spivey..

I?m going to try and get in practice or 2 once once we go pads and I might have a different list.

You heard or seen anything to make you think the light has come on for Guidry? I just am pessimistic that he is all the sudden going to be reliable catching the ball. Same with Mitchell.

I'm thinking top 5, taking into account being reliably catch the ball and not just occasionally break a big play:

1. Hill
2. Zuber
3/4. Thomas/Best TE (Jones I'm guessing)
5. Guidry

Coach34
08-05-2019, 09:32 PM

Thomas wont play a play in a preseason game. He will have to ball out to make an XFL team. The fact he starts for us shows how weak this WR group is. There are 40 WR's in the SEC better than him

Coach007
08-05-2019, 09:39 PM
Thomas wont play a play in a preseason game. He will have to ball out to make an XFL team. The fact he starts for us shows how weak this WR group is. There are 40 WR's in the SEC better than him

How do I book mark this??

Coach34
08-05-2019, 10:08 PM
How do I book mark this??

Already done by me. Williams is a non-factor because he cant get open and Whop will be on the inactive list awhile. Zuber will have Thomas playing back-up snaps by Week 2. Our WR group rivals Vandy

Jarius
08-06-2019, 01:30 AM

Well he's not going to start for us. Like you said, he will be a backup by week 2....and if I had to guess he will be a backup on opening day.

Jarius
08-06-2019, 01:31 AM
Payton I kind of doubt but Whop I could see.

Payton has looked very good in practice so far, as has Zuber. Both are ahead of Whop.

RiverCityDawg
08-06-2019, 05:55 AM
Already done by me. Williams is a non-factor because he cant get open and Whop will be on the inactive list awhile. Zuber will have Thomas playing back-up snaps by Week 2. Our WR group rivals Vandy

So we're adding Whop to the official unofficial suspension list? So far I've seen KT, Gay, Autry and now Whop. Who am I missing?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-06-2019, 08:42 AM
Kylin
Tommy Stevens
Zuber
Osirus
Guidry

Is Tommy Stevens playing WR or TE in your scenario?

Coach007
08-06-2019, 10:50 AM
So we're adding Whop to the official unofficial suspension list? So far I've seen KT, Gay, Autry and now Whop. Who am I missing?

Evidently a few more.

Coach007
08-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Is Tommy Stevens playing WR or TE in your scenario?

:confused:

BuckyIsAB****
08-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Ok

BuckyIsAB****
08-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Payton has looked very good in practice so far, as has Zuber. Both are ahead of Whop.

It just usually takes those JUCO kids a few games or so to get it rolling but maybe so

biggun
08-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Besides QB, our top 5 best offensive playmakers / scorers, what say you? Coach Joe says he identifies his top 5 in preseason to distribute touches to for tds.

My guess in order

Kylin
Whop
Zuber
Nick Gibson
Austin Williams

Pretty sad list outside of Kylin

Scared_Hitless
08-06-2019, 02:33 PM
1. Kylin
2. Zuber
3. Stevens
4. D. Jones
5. Osiris

Gotta lean heavily on Kylin this season to be successful hopefully we have some semblance of a passing game as it will be needed.

chef dixon
08-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Payton looked like he ran routes and caught with his hands better than the majority of what we have in his JUCO videos. He also was a former Ole Miss signee and lets be honest they recruit and evaluate that particular position a lot better than we do.

justwin
08-06-2019, 05:09 PM
looking back the stats for 2018:

1. Kylin with ~830 total yards + 8 tds
2. Aeris with ~530 yds + 3 tds
3. Osirus w 427 + 4 tds
4. Guidry w 440 + 3 tds
5. Deddrick w 256 + 2 tds

so, in total, thats ~2500 yds + 20 tds in total for top 5. thinking back to preseason 2018, probably would've picked those 5 or close to it.

in, comparison, 2014 our best year was:

1. jrob 1,570 12
2. Bear 680 + 9
3. Ross 489 + 5
4. Jameon 380 + 2
5 Malcolm 380 + 3
that's 3500 in total + 31 tds

I hope we land in the middle this year which isn't a stretch of 3K + 25. I think 2014 resembles mostly what joe wants on O in terms of balance. a TE, a RB both in top 5, then 3 WRs combining for ~1500 + ~12 tds. I guess the RB and TE are interchangable, but definitely 3 of top 5 need to be WRs

justwin
08-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Pretty sad list outside of Kylin

I think the two RB choices were easiest and most probably agree. When it comes to WRs, I just had to take the 3 I thought had the best hands. I prefer the patriots model of wrs that catch everything vs "upside". give me completions all day. That being said, i just couldn't put Payton or either of the TEs on the list either due to not seeing it myself or youth. I do think Payton can be top 5 yearend or maybe midseason

I do think that Whop and Austin, if each got 25 snaps / game would give 500 yds + 6tds each. that's steady $ to me on low snaps. Obviously, more snaps, more production. Guidry will either give you 500 or 950, but over many more snaps like 45+.

I want to believe in Guidry. I do. I absolutely am giving him the Fitz factor last year, but this year, it's on him. The first play of the spring game he dropped so I just don't know with him. drops are lot . turnovers. I do think that Guidry's leash is much shorter this year and if either Payton or Whop or Austin or Osirus take it, won't give it back like we saw with Gilbert over Halter in baseball this year.

justwin
08-06-2019, 05:22 PM
As stated in earlier comments, if JoMo would get TEs involved like he did Gisecki at PSU, at the right time in games, there are huge plays to be had. Green's experience, and the best blocker. The size and athleticism of Spivey and Cumbest. I would flex them out like Mullen did with Jordan Thomas.

I almost think that college QBs just don't know how to use TEs. Seems like TEs are much more valuable in the pros as QBs consistently get through 4+ reads per pass and see the TE. College seems like most qbs are 2 reads, inconsisently and just overlook TEs as they start outside in on the field. When I think of Malcolm Johnson, I think of plays he made on designated plays for him like bootlegs and quick crossers. I say malcolm due to most productvie MSU TE in last decade or so. Anyway, yes, would be great to finally get 40 catches from a TE, pigs may fly.

Todd4State
08-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Payton looked like he ran routes and caught with his hands better than the majority of what we have in his JUCO videos. He also was a former Ole Miss signee and lets be honest they recruit and evaluate that particular position a lot better than we do.

Well, you get what you pay for.**

Todd4State
08-06-2019, 09:37 PM
looking back the stats for 2018:

1. Kylin with ~830 total yards + 8 tds
2. Aeris with ~530 yds + 3 tds
3. Osirus w 427 + 4 tds
4. Guidry w 440 + 3 tds
5. Deddrick w 256 + 2 tds

so, in total, thats ~2500 yds + 20 tds in total for top 5. thinking back to preseason 2018, probably would've picked those 5 or close to it.

in, comparison, 2014 our best year was:

1. jrob 1,570 12
2. Bear 680 + 9
3. Ross 489 + 5
4. Jameon 380 + 2
5 Malcolm 380 + 3
that's 3500 in total + 31 tds

I hope we land in the middle this year which isn't a stretch of 3K + 25. I think 2014 resembles mostly what joe wants on O in terms of balance. a TE, a RB both in top 5, then 3 WRs combining for ~1500 + ~12 tds. I guess the RB and TE are interchangable, but definitely 3 of top 5 need to be WRs

If we hit one bomb a game in the passing game that could be enough to get that 1K yard improvement.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-07-2019, 08:29 AM
If we hit one bomb a game in the passing game that could be enough to get that 1K yard improvement.

Exactly. If Stevens can simply go through his reads and throw to the most open guy, that's at least 500 more yards than last year (let's not forget the fact Fitz rarely went past his 2nd read or had a clue what he was looking at). If he's also more accurate than Fitz, that's another several hundred more yards there. That's 800+ yards before we get to the fact all our WR's are a year older and so should be at least slightly better at catching and route running. Zuber over Thomas gives another 100 or so yards on talent upgrade at slot. Lastly, I think the OT's will be better giving Stevens a cleaner pocket than Fitz had.

When WR's come up people forget how truly terrible Fitz was. Not only would he miss his target completely, but when he threw it near them it had no touch on it and they had to contort to get hands on it. That's not an excuse for the drops, it's a statement of fact that the drop rate will go up if your WR is catching a fastball thrown behind him compared to a touch pass in the basket. Most importantly, let's not forget that Fitz had ZERO clue what he was doing and rarely went through all his reads; that meant he'd throw into double coverage when the #4 option was wide open. We have a drops problem, but Fitz made them look a lot worse than they really are

Dak in '14 was a a significantly better passer than Fitz last year

RougeDawg
08-07-2019, 06:46 PM

No one is suspended!!!! Haven?t you heard. Also, Nick spoon started for us in the tournament.

We sure do have a load of bridge buyers around here. Guess it?s time to cash in while the gettings good

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-08-2019, 09:29 AM
:confused:

The OP lead the question with "Besides QB"

justwin
09-01-2019, 02:10 PM

My guess in order

Kylin
Whop
Zuber
Nick Gibson
Austin Williams

After week 1, in terms of best stats, top 5 would be:
Kylin
Osirus
Austin
Guidry
Gibson

I had 3 of 5 and never would've known Whop was out. I do think, wiht more reps that Zuber is going to be consistently top 5. Austin, being from the coast, will remember that TD catch rest of his life.

Here were top 8 guys stats wise, besides Qb:
Kylin 197 and 1 td
Osirus 6 for 88 / 1 td
Austin 3 for 43 / 1 td
Guidry 4 for 36
Gibson 2 for 27

Deddrick had 1 for 19
Zuber had 1 for 14
Payton 1 for 9
Dontea 1 for 14
Farrod 1 for 3

justwin
09-01-2019, 02:11 PM
I don't think QB should be exempt:

1. Kylin
2. Stevens
3. Zuber
4. Guidry
5. Mitchell

mitchell showed out.

justwin
09-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Hill
Zuber
Guidry
Thomas
D. Jones

all 5 of these had stats so good group

justwin
09-01-2019, 02:13 PM

Kylin
Stevens
Guidry
Zuber
Spivey

did spivey plat at all? I saw cumbest on sidelines.

justwin
09-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Kylin
Zuber
Whop
Gibson
Guidry

Also think our combination of TEs will be huge. We honestly have a lot of potential at wr and te to not be explosive on offense. There are just too many warm bodies, most with experience, that we will have to be able to find 3-4 that can consistently catch the ball.

good point. if you do combo the TEs, looking at 2 for 17 yds. I knjow that Farrods 3 yard catch off his shoelaces kept driving going. but yeah, if could get 5 catches by TE by committee / game would be great. I can't imagine 5 TE grabs though, what a change that would be.

justwin
09-01-2019, 02:17 PM
1. Kylin
2. Zuber
3. Stevens
4. D. Jones
5. Osiris

Gotta lean heavily on Kylin this season to be successful hopefully we have some semblance of a passing game as it will be needed.

good point. my two things going into game 1 was to see if Tommy can make every throw on the field + can we get Kylin the ball 25 times. We did both and very pleased with how we look week after week doing those two things.

Homedawg
09-01-2019, 02:19 PM

My guess in order

Kylin
Whop
Zuber
Nick Gibson
Austin Williams

You must be whop's father.

justwin
09-01-2019, 02:20 PM

I'd say the only offensive blemish yesterday was overthrow to Osiris in 1H on the deep one. What's crazy, is if Osiris connects and scores there that's SEC WR of the week honors with 7 for ~140 2 tds. Jeudy had 10 for 137 and 1.

Coach007
09-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Kylin
Stevens
Guidry
Zuber
Spivey

Did he have a drop yesterday? I can't remember... I know he ran a wrong route.

Coach007
09-01-2019, 02:51 PM

My guess in order

Kylin
Whop
Zuber
Nick Gibson
Austin Williams

1- the OL! Period. Nothing happens for Hill or our WRs if they suck.

2- Hill
3- Mitchell
4- Guidry
5- Zuber

I excluded Stevens because I think that is a given like the OL

R2Dawg
09-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Hill first as no explanation needed then in no particular order

Zuber - sample size is small but he showed me something yesterday on a couple of plays, one that was called back for holding. He is athletic and can catch the ball.
Mitchell - yeah I know it may not be popular but Mitchell has produced; yes he dropped a few big ones last year but he catches a lot of balls, he is tall and long.
Gibson - I've been high on him from day one he has just had to be behind some very good upper classmen backs and now a younger but one of best in country. He had some great runs yesterday. Gibson needs to see the ball 10-12 times a game.
One of the TE. I think we have mismatches every week here. We are stacked at TE

Cloak
09-01-2019, 07:19 PM
How can anyone put Guidry in the top 5? Do we just not have anyone else? I have not seen anything that says he will contribute this year. I know he was a big time recruit, but he's been slow, lazy, and no impact.