PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead is bringing in some serious talent

DeviousDawg
08-02-2019, 04:19 PM
It may be unorthodox, definitely not what we are used to, but he is finding different ways to bring in real talent. We have had a lot of success with these bounce back types lately, and I think we are finally realizing that we have a resource that we can take full advantage of. I'm not talking about high school guys, we have a ceiling when it comes to high school recruiting, we just aren't gonna go beat the blue bloods for a handful of out of state 4 star talent, we probably never well, but there are other ways to get that talent to campus. Just in the past 365 days we have brought in, signed or committed:

1. WR JaVonta Payton- signed with Ole Miss out of HS
2. RB Kareem Walker- former Michigan Wolverine, 20+ P5 offers out of HS
3. DE Tre Lawson- former Florida State Seminole and Tennessee volunteer commit, 10+ P5 offers out of HS
4. DE Jordan Davis- #1 JUCO prospect, Former top 100 recruit and Alabama Crimson TIde signee, 20+ P5 offers out of HS
5. DT Devontae McCrae- Former NC State Wolfpack player, and Lousville commit, 8 P5 offers out of HS
6. OG Sebastian Dolcine- Former Kentucky Wildcat, handful of P5 offers
7. WR Malik Heath- Former MSU signee, offered by most of SEC out of HS and JUCO, #1 JUCO WR
8. ILB Tyrus Wheat- Former Missouri commit out of HS, 9 P5 offers, freakish athlete who may be the cream of the Co-Lin crop this year
9. DT Allen Love- Former Louisville Cardina player, and Ole Miss commit, 11 P5 offers out of HS
10. OC Cole Smith- Former LSU Tiger, Under Armour All American out of HS
11. WR Isaiah Zuber- Former leading receiver for Kansas State
12. QB Tommy Stevens- Assumed Starting QB for Penn State before a spring injury

and then hopefully we can add the 4th Co-Lin guy

13. WR Kundarrius Taylor- Former Oklahoma Sooner signee, recommitted from JUCO before flipping to hometown favorite Memphis, numerous P5 offers and hopefully our 3 Co-Lin commits are putting the pressure on him to join them in Starkville

If you can keep bringing in non HS talent like this, it makes your job much easier when recruiting HS talent, you don't need to fill classes with projects, just 15ish P5 talents, maybe 1 or 2 projects, and then 6-8 JUCO bounce backs or the occasional late bloomer. Then polish it off every year by getting 1-3 grad transfers that either fill serious needs or our too talented to say no to.

We are signing so many JUCO guys, because we signed so many JUCO guys in 2017, which leaves us now with 11 scholarship sophomores(including Love). This class will balance that class out, but I think it should become a trend. Look at how good that JUCO class of 2017 was, unfortunately, the HS portion of it was not, which created the real problem. We signed 9 JUCO guys and 16 HS guys, 1 was a punter, 1 was a late signing out of no where from an unheard of TE, another 4 or 5 guys that were borderline P5 prospects, at best and on top of all that 4 guys who didn't even qualify. That leaves you with 5-6 real HS P5 talents from that class, and that was the problem, not the 9 JUCO guys, which included 8 eventual starters, 2 1st round picks, 2 more future draft picks, and only 1 bust(Deion Pope- transferred before he ever started).

If you sign the 6-9 bounce back, former blue chip, sought after JUCO guys, and add 12-15 no doubt P5 talents that all qualify(that's key), and add a couple grad transfers each year to top off the roster, we could double or even triple the overall raw talent of our roster, and I believe Moorhead is going to do this.

Political Hack
08-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Somebody looked at what Jackie Wayne had done to get talent in here and recreated it.

Bothrops
08-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Allen Love may not be eligible this season, we still don't know. Which is beyond ridiculous.

BrunswickDawg
08-02-2019, 04:40 PM
Somebody looked at what Jackie Wayne had done to get talent in here and recreated it.

Was the Kang getting JUCOs who were bounce back guys? I thought he got a lot of guys who hadn't started at D1 to begin with. Not to mention that back then, you didn't have a lot of these bounce backs happening. If you washed out at D1 you wound up at a lower division not JUCO - although I could be wrong.

Doggie_Style
08-02-2019, 05:00 PM
We were forced to take so many this year due to the 2017 numbers. I really like some of these additions like Heath and Wheat who should be immediate impact players. In most cases I would think we would try to find JUCO guys that will finish in December and practice in the spring. I don't know how much production you can expect out of a guy like Walker who shows up a few weeks before the season begins with only two years to play. Payton also had trouble getting here and you have to wonder whether he will be ready to play given the difficulty we have seen with our skill players mastering the offense. I can see us taking more than 3-4 JUCOs every three or four years but I just don't see it becoming a strategy to get 8-9 every year.

1bigdawg
08-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Was the Kang getting JUCOs who were bounce back guys? I thought he got a lot of guys who hadn't started at D1 to begin with. Not to mention that back then, you didn't have a lot of these bounce backs happening. If you washed out at D1 you wound up at a lower division not JUCO - although I could be wrong.

Most of Jackie's were kids that did not qualify out of high school.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2019, 05:20 PM
I love what Moorhead is doing.

I think most people are still scared by what happened in 2000 when we relied on so many JUCOs, but things are different now. We have the best JUCO system in America in our backyard & can use it to supplement our in-state HS crop.

This gives us the raw talent to put together top 20 caliber teams year in & year out.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Most of Jackie's were kids that did not qualify out of high school.

I like the bounce back guys the most because on average they are smarter. Since they qualified out of HS, it stands to reason that they are at least a hair better mentally which absolutely helps when it comes to learning a new system & acclimating socially

BeardoMSU
08-02-2019, 05:27 PM
Please post more, Devious. Your threads always have great info.

HoopsDawg
08-02-2019, 05:57 PM

Juco was different back then.

BeardoMSU
08-02-2019, 06:00 PM
Juco was different back then.

Very.

HoopsDawg
08-02-2019, 06:02 PM

Yep, I don't care where you come from: High School, Juco, Grad Transfer, whatever, just bring in the talent. High school recruits, particularly the low 3 star guys, are probably the biggest gamble of them all.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-02-2019, 06:57 PM
Yep, I don't care where you come from: High School, Juco, Grad Transfer, whatever, just bring in the talent. High school recruits, particularly the low 3 star guys, are probably the biggest gamble of them all.

^^THIS^^

It's all about the kid, doesn't matter if he's HS or JUCO. If he has the talent and the maturity to use it then I say plug & play.

TrapGame
08-02-2019, 07:10 PM
This is a big leap from Mullen's two star projects.

maroonmania
08-02-2019, 07:14 PM
I love what Moorhead is doing.

I think most people are still scared by what happened in 2000 when we relied on so many JUCOs, but things are different now. We have the best JUCO system in America in our backyard & can use it to supplement our in-state HS crop.

This gives us the raw talent to put together top 20 caliber teams year in & year out.

Nobody should be scared. Yes, we got burned on some JUCOs post-2000 that JWS took a big reach on (like signing the entire DL from Arizona Western? WTH?) because that's all we could sign during the NCAA crap. But our best JWS teams in the 90s had tons of JUCOs on them. They were some of our very best players on those teams.

DeviousDawg
08-02-2019, 07:18 PM
I like the bounce back guys the most because on average they are smarter. Since they qualified out of HS, it stands to reason that they are at least a hair better mentally which absolutely helps when it comes to learning a new system & acclimating socially

It?s no coincidence, there is a reason we had 2 bounce back guys go in the 1st round last year and should have 2 more drafted from this years team(Cole and Rivers). Bounce back guys with the right attitude and talent should never be passed on. First, they are talented enough, and smart enough to sign with and enroll into a P5 school. So their football abilities are legit. Then they get a year in a P5 program, they get a year of lifting and refining the little things with a P5 strength coach and positional coach. They get a year to understand what major college football is, how to handle the big spotlight, and an idea of what it takes to succeed at the highest level.

After a year long orientation, training, and refining the little things, they get to go put what they learned to the test for a year at the JUCO level during real live games, instead of just sitting on the bench watching the real games and braking their scout team bruises. They dominate at the JUCO level for a year and are hungry to get back to the P5 level and use the training from year 1 and live game experience from year 2 to make the 2 deep by week 1 and play as if they have no need for an acclimation period like most normal JUCO guys experience for the first half, if not the entire season of their junior year.

It?s cheating the system in a way, like buying a toy thats unpackaged and the batteries are not only included but installed. We are set up perfectly to fully take advantage of this system, and ?bouncing back? is becoming more and more popular, it?s in a lot of ways the much better alternative to transferring for underclassmen, you just have to take a connecting flight. Well, all of the underclassmen transferring connecting flights must take off and land from one airport called MS JUCO Field, and it is our backyard.

Hell if I was a P5 head coach in MS, to his is how I would recruit

1. First and foremost, you gotta get 10-12 of the top 20-25 MS high school recruits, there will be blue chips at the top, and solid P5 level talent well into the 20s every year. Get your 10?12 in state legit P5 recruits.

2. Target and begin recruiting your top 3-5 QB and RB on your board by the time they are in 9th-10th grade. Gotta get a 4 star level QB and RB in each class, which we can easily do bc those positions usually only have 1 spot per team in each class, so there are plenty of mid-low level 4 star talents to go around, just gotta get on them early and sell to them that this is ?their class?.

3. Hire a recruiting coach that is in charge of only big game hunting. He finds 10 or so blue chip out of state prospects that have a connection somehow to our school, any of the players, coaches etc. Get on them early and see if you can?t land an out of state blue chip or 2 every year. This guy also identifies and makes a list of every high 3-star/low 4-star level talent within 250 miles of campus, especially those that are from Louisiana and Alabama and don?t have commutable offers from the home state schools bc they have an out of state blue chipper above them. Take 2 or 3 of these guys for positions of need and keep the rest warm on a ?best available list? that would be used if one of our commits decommits or is flirting with other schools too hard.

Ok so now you should have your 16-17 high school commits(don?t take their commitment unless there is atleast a 90% maybe even 95% chance of qualifying). The next step is the important one. You are to identify the 10 or so most talented bounce back prospects in the Mississippi JUCO system, show them our recent success with bounce back guys, we will get you drafted. Take as many of them as possible as long as they are elite talent wise, most these guys you wouldn?t have had a shot at out of high school. Goal is to get 5-6 elite level bounce back talents per year(maybe not technically all bounce backs but atleast signed with Major P5 but didn?t make grades like Malik Heath, for instance. However, bounce backs are the most wanted, then non qualifier P5 signees next). I would designate 10 of my 85 scholarship spots as bounce back scholarships. 5 new ones every year, just a constant influx of elite talent. I would not take more than 1 project or diamond in the rough high school guys per class, try to get a bounce back with that scholarship instead. The idea is too not waste any scholarships. If the bounce back doesn?t pan out, their scholarship is gone in 2 years anyway.

5. Grab 1-2 impact graduate transfers every year. There are always a few 1-year free agents out there that could make your team better, use them.

There is the master plan, oh, and maroon backpacks full of cash, of course.

Jack Lambert
08-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Nobody should be scared. Yes, we got burned on some JUCOs post-2000 that JWS took a big reach on (like signing the entire DL from Arizona Western? WTH?) because that's all we could sign during the NCAA crap. But our best JWS teams in the 90s had tons of JUCOs on them. They were some of our very best players on those teams.

In today's world of Transfer Portal, JR's leaving for the draft I think Moorhead is ahead of the curve with what he is doing.

FriarsPoint
08-02-2019, 07:28 PM
It?s no coincidence, there is a reason we had 2 bounce back guys go in the 1st round last year and should have 2 more drafted from this years team(Cole and Rivers). Bounce back guys with the right attitude and talent should never be passed on. First, they are talented enough, and smart enough to sign with and enroll into a P5 school. So their football abilities are legit. Then they get a year in a P5 program, they get a year of lifting and refining the little things with a P5 strength coach and positional coach. They get a year to understand what major college football is, how to handle the big spotlight, and an idea of what it takes to succeed at the highest level.

After a year long orientation, training, and refining the little things, they get to go put what they learned to the test for a year at the JUCO level during real live games, instead of just sitting on the bench watching the real games and braking their scout team bruises. They dominate at the JUCO level for a year and are hungry to get back to the P5 level and use the training from year 1 and live game experience from year 2 to make the 2 deep by week 1 and play as if they have no need for an acclimation period like most normal JUCO guys experience for the first half, if not the entire season of their junior year.

It?s cheating the system in a way, like buying a toy thats unpackaged and the batteries are not only included but installed. We are set up perfectly to fully take advantage of this system, and ?bouncing back? is becoming more and more popular, it?s in a lot of ways the much better alternative to transferring for underclassmen, you just have to take a connecting flight. Well, all of the underclassmen transferring connecting flights must take off and land from one airport called MS JUCO Field, and it is our backyard.

Hell if I was a P5 head coach in MS, to his is how I would recruit

1. First and foremost, you gotta get 10-12 of the top 20-25 MS high school recruits, there will be blue chips at the top, and solid P5 level talent well into the 20s every year. Get your 10?12 in state legit P5 recruits.

2. Target and begin recruiting your top 3-5 QB and RB on your board by the time they are in 9th-10th grade. Gotta get a 4 star level QB and RB in each class, which we can easily do bc those positions usually only have 1 spot per team in each class, so there are plenty of mid-low level 4 star talents to go around, just gotta get on them early and sell to them that this is ?their class?.

3. Hire a recruiting coach that is in charge of only big game hunting. He finds 10 or so blue chip out of state prospects that have a connection somehow to our school, any of the players, coaches etc. Get on them early and see if you can?t land an out of state blue chip or 2 every year. This guy also identifies and makes a list of every high 3-star/low 4-star level talent within 250 miles of campus, especially those that are from Louisiana and Alabama and don?t have commutable offers from the home state schools bc they have an out of state blue chipper above them. Take 2 or 3 of these guys for positions of need and keep the rest warm on a ?best available list? that would be used if one of our commits decommits or is flirting with other schools too hard.

Ok so now you should have your 16-17 high school commits(don?t take their commitment unless there is atleast a 90% maybe even 95% chance of qualifying). The next step is the important one. You are to identify the 10 or so most talented bounce back prospects in the Mississippi JUCO system, show them our recent success with bounce back guys, we will get you drafted. Take as many of them as possible as long as they are elite talent wise, most these guys you wouldn?t have had a shot at out of high school. Goal is to get 5-6 elite level bounce back talents per year(maybe not technically all bounce backs but atleast signed with Major P5 but didn?t make grades like Malik Heath, for instance. However, bounce backs are the most wanted, then non qualifier P5 signees next). I would designate 10 of my 85 scholarship spots as bounce back scholarships. 5 new ones every year, just a constant influx of elite talent. I would not take more than 1 project or diamond in the rough high school guys per class, try to get a bounce back with that scholarship instead. The idea is too not waste any scholarships. If the bounce back doesn?t pan out, their scholarship is gone in 2 years anyway.

5. Grab 1-2 impact graduate transfers every year. There are always a few 1-year free agents out there that could make your team better, use them.

There is the master plan, oh, and maroon backpacks full of cash, of course.

And after 2-3 years of success in the W/L column, start going after the 4/5 star out of state guy and the backpack turns into a suitcase.

KOdawg1
08-02-2019, 07:38 PM
This is a big leap from Mullen's two star projects.
*paging Msstate7*

BuckyIsAB****
08-02-2019, 08:51 PM
Tre Lawson is one of the largest human beings I have ever seen. And I have been around football players all my life. I think we may have another stud DT

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Tre Lawson is one of the largest human beings I have ever seen. And I have been around football players all my life. I think we may have another stud DT

Lawson is a DE. He's about 245lbs. Do you have him confused with someone else?

BuckyIsAB****
08-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Lawson is a DE. He's about 245lbs. Do you have him confused with someone else?

Him and Key kind of look alike so maybe.

Political Hack
08-02-2019, 09:07 PM

Jackie just got the best juco kids and filled holes and built depth with them. The transfer rules are much more lenient now and JoMo is taking full advantage. But the concept is the same, continue to build depth with transfers. We don't only have to recruit freshmen. With the way the ncaa has relaxed transfer rules we can recruit across every class and keep our numbers evened out and add talent where needed. Hopefully we do that better than anyone else because we're not going to out recruit Bama or Clemson any time soon.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2019, 09:19 PM
The heavy recruiting of JUCOs and transfers should tell anyone with half a brain what Joe thinks of what we have, now and next year. Anything over six wins this year is pure gravy. The next is even worse. Read the tea leaves guys, it ain't pretty.

DeviousDawg
08-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Jackie just got the best juco kids and filled holes and built depth with them. The transfer rules are much more lenient now and JoMo is taking full advantage. But the concept is the same, continue to build depth with transfers. We don't only have to recruit freshmen. With the way the ncaa has relaxed transfer rules we can recruit across every class and keep our numbers evened out and add talent where needed. Hopefully we do that better than anyone else because we're not going to out recruit Bama or Clemson any time soon.

Perfectly stated.

FriarsPoint
08-02-2019, 09:37 PM
The heavy recruiting of JUCOs and transfers should tell anyone with half a brain what Joe thinks of what we have, now and next year. Anything over six wins this year is pure gravy. The next is even worse. Read the tea leaves guys, it ain't pretty.

As much shit as I gave Moorhead last year, I disagree.

DeviousDawg
08-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Jesus...

BeardoMSU
08-02-2019, 09:41 PM

Jesus, dude.

Pollodawg
08-02-2019, 09:58 PM

No. I see a coach building a team in his own image and based on his own system and strengths and doing it as soon as possible. I see a coach getting the people he thinks will help him achieve those ends, no matter where they come from.

Ari Gold
08-02-2019, 10:12 PM

All I see is big time Juco talent coming in .. and sprinkle in some
Very good high school talent

Todd4State
08-03-2019, 01:27 AM
I think this may be a somewhat atypical year for us in recruiting because of the numbers situation with the sophomore class plus having a new coaching staff trying to get their guys in. I don't know that we're going to see getting 8 JUCO guys as the norm with this staff.

I still believe that in general most of our players need to come from the high school ranks- I'd say in a typical year 20 high school signees, then 3 JUCO's, and then maybe 2 grad transfers. One of the big things that Dan was really bad at was roster management in terms of numbers at certain position groups. That's how we ended up with an offensive line of almost no OT and had to play people out of position, small WR's, and etc. It also hurt that Dan wasn't as willing to take JUCO's except for that one year and that was ONLY if they were a December grad, and then he was pretty much non-existent in the transfer game until he got to Florida.

If Joe can balance it out- and I think he will- we should have a much better foundation and hopefully fewer obvious holes on the team than we did under Dan. Those holes may have kept us from going from 8 wins a year to 9-10.

Todd4State
08-03-2019, 01:29 AM

Well, first of all this is BS.

But secondly it's sad that you blindly defended the guy that recruited like that. If you really believe that.

The reality is unlike Dan Joe realizes that we have to have upperclassmen to compete in the SEC. And that's what he is doing.

Doggie_Style
08-03-2019, 07:49 AM

Transfers are no panacea. Neither the DT Love or the punter will play this year. Tommy Stevens is an incredibly unique situation whereas most guys coming in would have to learn the system in a few months. With the numbers we were in a position to take a bunch of JUCOs, it?s not like Joe has uncovered a new talent resource and we won?t be taking that many going forward. Our main focus needs to be and will be finding ways to recruit more quality HS talent.

ShotgunDawg
08-03-2019, 07:54 AM
And after 2-3 years of success in the W/L column, start going after the 4/5 star out of state guy and the backpack turns into a suitcase.

Winning doesn't seem to help us with out of state kids for some reason

Jarius
08-03-2019, 08:18 AM
Winning doesn't seem to help us with out of state kids for some reason

Winning 7-8 games a year will never attract them consistently. You have to win 9-10 a year for that to happen.

Turfdawg67
08-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Please post more, Devious. Your threads always have great info.

Yeah, funny how he says more in 500 posts than some do in 50,000.

BuckyIsAB****
08-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Every other team in the country is taking JUCO and transfers too so I guess everyone sucks

Commercecomet24
08-03-2019, 05:17 PM

But secondly it's sad that you blindly defended the guy that recruited like that. If you really believe that.

The reality is unlike Dan Joe realizes that we have to have upperclassmen to compete in the SEC. And that's what he is doing.

Good post. Joe is having to fix the unbalanced classes that Dan left him with. He's mixing in some great juco talent to balance out the classes that dan screwed up. I like joes approach

msstate7
08-03-2019, 05:27 PM
I don't really follow blaming Mullen for needing a bunch of jucos. Mullen's last class was 2017, and those guys are juniors, RS soph, and a few senior jucos. That class will be seniors and RS juniors next season when this class gets here.

ShotgunDawg
08-03-2019, 05:36 PM
I think this may be a somewhat atypical year for us in recruiting because of the numbers situation with the sophomore class plus having a new coaching staff trying to get their guys in. I don't know that we're going to see getting 8 JUCO guys as the norm with this staff.

I still believe that in general most of our players need to come from the high school ranks- I'd say in a typical year 20 high school signees, then 3 JUCO's, and then maybe 2 grad transfers. One of the big things that Dan was really bad at was roster management in terms of numbers at certain position groups. That's how we ended up with an offensive line of almost no OT and had to play people out of position, small WR's, and etc. It also hurt that Dan wasn't as willing to take JUCO's except for that one year and that was ONLY if they were a December grad, and then he was pretty much non-existent in the transfer game until he got to Florida.

If Joe can balance it out- and I think he will- we should have a much better foundation and hopefully fewer obvious holes on the team than we did under Dan. Those holes may have kept us from going from 8 wins a year to 9-10.

I think about 5-6 JUCOs is about right. If you're Bama or LSU, sure you should only take 3 or so, but we aren't them and can get better players with those last 6 scholarships from JUCO than we can at the HS ranks.

Only signing 3 JUCOs does not exploit the only recruiting advantage we have: MS's JUCO system

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2019, 06:04 PM
All I see is big time Juco talent coming in .. and sprinkle in some
Very good high school talent

I remember the last time we went this JUCO heavy. I still haven't got over that.

Coach34
08-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Good post Finkel

Jovester can be blamed for some things and the wonder is still there on others but damn- you can't deny that this staff is recruiting their asses off. In today's game- it doesn't matter where you get a top level talent from. Adding talent is the key. Things have changed alot since the 17-18 years ago when Jackie was recruiting juco's. It's a different world with alot more money, better facilities, and way more structure than it was back then.

JoVester will ultimately be judged on what he does in 2019, 2020, and 2021. Adding talent is what he has to do to keep his job. We'll see if he can coach it vs the SEC

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2019, 06:06 PM

Blindly defend, hardly. You do know we have a different system now , right?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2019, 06:08 PM
I remember the last time we went this JUCO heavy. I still haven't got over that.

You mean 2017? That worked out damn well.

Coach34
08-03-2019, 06:09 PM

how quickly people forget

Commercecomet24
08-03-2019, 06:15 PM

Yep. Exactly. As others have said times have changed. Supplementing talent with jucos and transfers is a smart way to go in this day and age.

Pollodawg
08-03-2019, 06:23 PM
All of the JUCOS remind people of Jackie?s last, disastrous years, but they really shouldn?t. It?s already been explained that college football is light years away from where it was then. Also, we have a coach trying to BUILD a career, not one being harassed out of coaching, dealing with personal storms at home, and mailing it in at the very end of his run.

The situations are vastly different.

Pollodawg
08-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Joe Borrow is a transfer. Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma is a transfer. Cam Newton played at a JUCO. See where I’m going with this?

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Nope, a bit farther back.

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2019, 09:42 PM
You don't build a program going this JUCO heavy, you just don't. Y'all know that.

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2019, 09:43 PM
All of the JUCOS remind people of Jackie?s last, disastrous years, but they really shouldn?t. It?s already been explained that college football is light years away from where it was then. Also, we have a coach trying to BUILD a career, not one being harassed out of coaching, dealing with personal storms at home, and mailing it in at the very end of his run.

The situations are vastly different.

Your faith is inspiring.

Cowbell
08-03-2019, 09:48 PM
You don't build a program going this JUCO heavy, you just don't. Y'all know that.

You certainly can. Look at our baseball team, even. Our recent history with juco talent says that they are a less risk of being a total miss. They almost always produce quickly and in the span of 4 years, using only 1 scholarship, you can get two juco players that contribute immediately vs one player that will often not contribute for two years.

Commercecomet24
08-03-2019, 09:54 PM

Bill Snyder says hello

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2019, 09:57 PM
You certainly can. Look at our baseball team, even. Our recent history with juco talent says that they are a less risk of being a total miss. They almost always produce quickly and in the span of 4 years, using only 1 scholarship, you can get two juco players that contribute immediately vs one player that will often not contribute for two years.

If they cant come in and START........well.

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Bill Snyder says hello

He never got beyond where we already are really. Y'all keep trying to talk yourself into this. Typical preseason stuff.

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2019, 09:58 PM

Football ain't baseball.

Todd4State
08-03-2019, 10:22 PM
Blindly defend, hardly. You do know we have a different system now , right?

BS. You were always defending everything Dan because "we made a mistake firing Allyn McKeen!" Yeah- I do know we're running a different system- it's called not being a dick to recruits while also having our head up our ass in recruiting. Apparently you preferred Dan's way better.

BuckyIsAB****
08-03-2019, 10:25 PM

Only you could complain about getting good players

Todd4State
08-03-2019, 10:28 PM
I think about 5-6 JUCOs is about right. If you're Bama or LSU, sure you should only take 3 or so, but we aren't them and can get better players with those last 6 scholarships from JUCO than we can at the HS ranks.

Only signing 3 JUCOs does not exploit the only recruiting advantage we have: MS's JUCO system

I wish there were 28 spots instead of 25 so that we could easily get 5 JUCO's. It's just different in Mississippi because our guys are underrated or not even looked at by the "experts" every single year. To me, in a typical year you're going to have the top 15 legit guys that are "known" and then the reality is there are those players in Mississippi like the Jerry Rice, Brett Favre, Walter Payton....or for us Benardrick McKinney, Elgton Jenkins, Jonathan Banks, and etc. that truly are under the radar and we do need to leave space for those guys too. Also the grad transfers to me add another ingredient to the mix that wasn't there before.

Todd4State
08-03-2019, 10:31 PM
He never got beyond where we already are really. Y'all keep trying to talk yourself into this. Typical preseason stuff.

Do you remember Croom's first class of recruits which was mostly high school players that didn't pan out? Based on your logic we shouldn't recruit high school players because that group didn't work out. Or Dan's class with Ashton Shumpert in it- I think that was 2013 and it was pretty atrocious as well.

Commercecomet24
08-03-2019, 10:45 PM

You've lost it man. Joes bringing in talent and you're bitching? Geez. And you're wrong about Snyder he built a great and respected program at KSU. You stated you can't build a program on jucos and snyder absolutely did, that is a FACT!

maroonmania
08-03-2019, 10:51 PM
Nope, a bit farther back.

Well JUCOs got us to the 1998 SEC title game AND a 10 win season in 1999. The JUCOs we brought in after that were ones that we took to just fill a class because the rumors regarding the NCAA 'investigation' were killing our recruiting efforts at the time.

maroonmania
08-03-2019, 10:54 PM
Neither the DT Love or the punter will play this year.

Where did you get this info? The punter is a grad transfer so it would make zero sense that he wouldn't play. And per Rosebowl's podcast yesterday we still don't have word from the NCAA on Love one way or the other.

Pollodawg
08-03-2019, 10:55 PM
Your faith is inspiring.

If sports made me this anxious and miserable, I?d take up fishing.

Goldendawg
08-03-2019, 11:24 PM
Where did you get this info? The punter is a grad transfer so it would make zero sense that he wouldn't play. And per Rosebowl's podcast yesterday we still don't have word from the NCAA on Love one way or the other.

In one of the free reads on 24/7 with an interview with Jo, punter denied a 6th year of eligibility, being appealed. Love's case still not ruled on.

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 06:31 AM
Brackey needs to get off his ass and actually try to speed up the appeals process instead of looking for reasons why our guys are ineligible.

msbulldog
08-04-2019, 07:11 AM
Well JUCOs got us to the 1998 SEC title game AND a 10 win season in 1999. The JUCOs we brought in after that were ones that we took to just fill a class because the rumors regarding the NCAA 'investigation' were killing our recruiting efforts at the time.

FACT!

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Corliss Waitman is not even on the team. He got denied by the NCAA. Moorhead said this after the first practice

WSOPdawg
08-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Brackey needs to get off his ass and actually try to speed up the appeals process instead of looking for reasons why our guys are ineligible.

^^^^ 100% agree!

Homedawg
08-04-2019, 12:41 PM

Sorry man but sometimes you are just wrong. Dead wrong.

gravedigger
08-04-2019, 01:30 PM

I dontthink this is part of the build. I think this is a part of sustainability. You target some hs kids each year who can help you. But you don?t get them all. Or someone transfers or leaves early. Or someone changes positions. Or the previous coach never established depth at a position. Could be plenty of reasons to do this. My guess is we?re going to have up and down years with Jc s and transfers.

I do not think he believes our players are below standard. But that thought might help some rationalize some conclusion they have drawn about Moorhead. If so, they will find out soon enough.

Commercecomet24
08-04-2019, 01:38 PM
I dontthink this is part of the build. I think this is a part of sustainability. You target some hs kids each year who can help you. But you don?t get them all. Or someone transfers or leaves early. Or someone changes positions. Or the previous coach never established depth at a position. Could be plenty of reasons to do this. My guess is we?re going to have up and down years with Jc s and transfers.

I do not think he believes our players are below standard. But that thought might help some rationalize some conclusion they have drawn about Moorhead. If so, they will find out soon enough.

Great post! Dead on.

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Sorry man but sometimes you are just wrong. Dead wrong.

Our compliance department is stuck in the 90's. If we have an updated department I have a feeling we will see a lot fewer transcript issues.

Homedawg
08-04-2019, 03:38 PM
Our compliance department is stuck in the 90's. If we have an updated department I have a feeling we will see a lot fewer transcript issues.

Love has nothing to do w a transcript. Walker drug his ass around. These two aren't on brackey

HoopsDawg
08-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Love has nothing to do w a transcript. Walker drug his ass around. These two aren't on brackey

agree there. but pretty weird we seemed to have no clue on Waitman. Moorhead was touting him as a good addition at SEC Media Days.

BrunswickDawg
08-04-2019, 06:24 PM
agree there. but pretty weird we seemed to have no clue on Waitman. Moorhead was touting him as a good addition at SEC Media Days.

Williamson played in 4 seasons already. I think he was trying to appeal for a medical redshirt for his Freshman season during which he only played in 2 games.

Homedawg
08-04-2019, 07:17 PM

Yeah odd. He apparently took a class out of the country, wherever he's from, before he started playing and his clock started. Don't think the compliance office is to blame on this one either. Just a odd deal and nobody had a clue until it happened best I understand.

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 08:09 PM

I'm talking about Waitman more than anything. But since you bring it up it makes me wonder if we have more issues getting guys through or not? It seems like Ole Miss rarely has issues- see Jeremiah Masoli.

maroonmania
08-04-2019, 10:33 PM
Corliss Waitman is not even on the team. He got denied by the NCAA. Moorhead said this after the first practice

OK, first I had heard of that. Interesting that with all of the podcasts and everything else prior to this week I never heard one mention that Waitman was needing a 6th year granted to be able to play and his eligibility was in doubt. All I ever heard was that he was a grad transfer.

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 11:02 PM
OK, first I had heard of that. Interesting that with all of the podcasts and everything else prior to this week I never heard one mention that Waitman was needing a 6th year granted to be able to play and his eligibility was in doubt. All I ever heard was that he was a grad transfer.

Not sure how long the coaches have known...but it seems like he just didn't show up to camp as far as the experts are concerned.

gravedigger
08-05-2019, 08:28 PM

Your problem with the perception of our compliance department is with Keenum and not Brackey. Brackey could cut corners and it would be in direct opposition to what he is told to do. As long as Keenum is our president, we will not have hold your nose and look the other way compliance. At all. Let it go.

You want Ole Miss compliance you are going to have to wait for Keenum to leave or switch teams you pull for.

BrunswickDawg
08-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Your problem with the perception of our compliance department is with Keenum and not Brackey. Brackey could cut corners and it would be in direct opposition to what he is told to do. As long as Keenum is our president, we will not have hold your nose and look the other way compliance. At all. Let it go.

You want Ole Miss compliance you are going to have to wait for Keenum to leave or switch teams you pull for.

I don’t think anyone wants compliance like OM - but we do want to have a fair shake when it comes to the NCAA. Compliance is about more than $100 handshakes now. It involves complex eligibility issues, and complex rules that require better expertise. We don’t have that and it costs us on issues like Waitman, The EMCC transfers that had to sit out, and possibly with Love.

Turfdawg67
08-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Great post! Dead on.

Yep... 'Digger is wise

Homedawg
08-06-2019, 08:32 PM
I don’t think anyone wants compliance like OM - but we do want to have a fair shake when it comes to the NCAA. Compliance is about more than $100 handshakes now. It involves complex eligibility issues, and complex rules that require better expertise. We don’t have that and it costs us on issues like Waitman, The EMCC transfers that had to sit out, and possibly with Love.

Just typing to type.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2019, 09:16 PM

None of those are on our compliance.

Homedawg
08-06-2019, 11:14 PM
None of those are on our compliance.

At least you said it..... people w no clue