PDA

View Full Version : SDS article -Zach Smith discusses Dan Mullen.

NWADAWG
08-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Just read a small article where Zach smith says basically says that Mullen is good but not great and doesn't have the swagger to be a championship coach or make it to An elite level as a recruiter or coach. The article was bashing on Smith for his desperate attack. I thought Smith hit the nail on the head. I found it interesting to here an unfiltered peer opinion.

BTW- I don't hate Mullen. I think he served a purpose to make us consistently good and raise the baseline. Now I hope JoMo can take us from good to great

missouridawg
08-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Smith’s podcast Menace2Society is not bad if you love college football. He comes off as a douche sometimes, but the insight he has into Urban Meyer and his coaching tree since 2006 is unparalleled and extremely interesting to listen too.

According to Zach, Urban has said Dan is a tremendous coach but he wouldn’t have a beer with him cause he’s also an asshole.

FriarsPoint
08-01-2019, 09:19 PM
If he can recruit on the level of Uga he’ll be fine. If not, they’ll run him off.

Tbonewannabe
08-02-2019, 07:18 AM
If he can recruit on the level of Uga he’ll be fine. If not, they’ll run him off.

UF hasn't recruited at that level since Urban. It will be interesting to see if Mullen is able to get a top 5 level class. Nothing he has done in the past shows that ability but UF does recruit itself somewhat.

msstate7
08-02-2019, 07:24 AM
UF hasn't recruited at that level since Urban. It will be interesting to see if Mullen is able to get a top 5 level class. Nothing he has done in the past shows that ability but UF does recruit itself somewhat.

He was 9th last year and 10th so far this year. If he stays in the top 10, Mullen will be a handful at Florida. Georgia will certainly outrecruit him, but Mullen's ability to coach up QBs will help offset that some. When Georgia loses Fromm this year, Mullen has a chance to get em next year to get to Atlanta. Not saying he will, but he has a shot... elite recruiting teams like Georgia are almost unbeatable when they have elite QB play too, so no way this year

Tbonewannabe
08-02-2019, 07:29 AM
He was 9th last year and 10th so far this year. If he stays in the top 10, Mullen will be a handful at Florida. Georgia will certainly outrecruit him, but Mullen's ability to coach up QBs will help offset that some. When Georgia loses Fromm this year, Mullen has a chance to get em next year to get to Atlanta. Not saying he will, but he has a shot... elite recruiting teams like Georgia are almost unbeatable when they have elite QB play too, so no way this year

I agree but Mullen probably needs to show some sign of life in the UGA game. Last year was over really quickly. It looked like when we typically played Bama. UF fans won't accept that very long.

Drewbowski
08-02-2019, 10:34 AM
When I first read he thread title, I was thinking it was our former safety discussing mullen.

chef dixon
08-02-2019, 12:01 PM
When I first read he thread title, I was thinking it was our former safety discussing mullen.

Same here. He got absolutely lit up against LSU one year.

Bass Chaser
08-02-2019, 12:39 PM

I don't think he beats them next year either. If Franks has a good year I think he leaves early. If you adjust last year's class it's probably 12-14 with the no shows and transfers.

Political Hack
08-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Dan Mullen can't carry Kirby Smart's jock strap.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good coach. But he's never going to out-scheme Kirby with his current system. He's had plenty of chances (State vs Bama and now UF vs UGA).

msstate7
08-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Dan Mullen can't carry Kirby Smart's jock strap.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good coach. But he's never going to out-scheme Kirby with his current system. He's had plenty of chances (State vs Bama and now UF vs UGA).

Well to be fair, he was recruiting mid-20s here and facing 1-2 (mostly 1) at Bama. At Florida, Mullen is looking like he'll be top 10 recruiting facing 1-3 at Georgia. That's a pretty big difference. I still think Georgia gets him at least 3 out of 4 times

Todd4State
08-03-2019, 01:33 AM

He won't. Not with the Country Club. What will be interesting to me is if he will fire his Country Club when the Gators put the pressure on him to do so and replace them with competent recruiters.

Of course, I fully expect Dan to start lobbying for NFL jobs publicly in about 2-3 years as well. I bet that also will go over well in Florida.