PDA

View Full Version : 2019 DL Starters

Doggie_Style
08-01-2019, 12:50 PM
Obviously our weakness on defense this year.....who will our two deep include along the line? Autry/Crumedy at nose guard....who else?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-01-2019, 12:53 PM
DE - Rivers/Adams
DT - Autry/Young or Jones or Pickering
DT - Lovett/Crumedy
DE - Spencer/Jones

dantheman4248
08-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Obviously our weakness on defense this year.....who will our two deep include along the line? Autry/Crumedy at nose guard....who else?

Disagree. I don’t think we have any weakness on defense but the safeties would be the weak link. Starting CBs might be the best in the nation though. Scam island will be a national name and a first round grade by the end of the season l.

Jarius
08-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Disagree. I don?t think we have any weakness on defense but the safeties would be the weak link. Starting CBs might be the best in the nation though. Scam island will be a national name and a first round grade by the end of the season l.

We will have one of the best safeties in the country.

Doggie_Style
08-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Disagree. I don?t think we have any weakness on defense but the safeties would be the weak link. Starting CBs might be the best in the nation though. Scam island will be a national name and a first round grade by the end of the season l.

The perceived weakness is the inside guys on our D-line. While talented, guys like Lovett, Crumedy and Pickering have little to no experience at this level. We could see these guys struggle at times.

msstate7
08-01-2019, 02:41 PM
The perceived weakness is the inside guys on our D-line. While talented, guys like Lovett, Crumedy and Pickering have little to no experience at this level. We could see these guys struggle at times.

The other aspect is endurance. These guys who haven't played at this level will have to hold up for a long season

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2019, 03:01 PM
We will have one of the best safeties in the country.

Don't forget how well Landrews was playing before he got hurt. I think Landrews + Cole > Abram + McLaurin. We also return a lot of snaps from the backups. The only "weak link" on this defense is at DT. We have to find 3 or 4 guys who can play those 2 positions. I think Autry is good so the other guy and then the 2 deep.

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2019, 03:03 PM
The other aspect is endurance. These guys who haven't played at this level will have to hold up for a long season

One good reason we only have 1 true freshman being mentioned in Pickering. He is also a guy that could have went wherever he wanted to. He won't be as good as Simmons but he was just as highly recruited. The guys who will take the field have at least been in some games their freshman year now that they have the 4 game rule.

Doggie_Style
08-01-2019, 03:14 PM
One good reason we only have 1 true freshman being mentioned in Pickering. He is also a guy that could have went wherever he wanted to. He won't be as good as Simmons but he was just as highly recruited. The guys who will take the field have at least been in some games their freshman year now that they have the 4 game rule.

The RS freshmen Lovett and Crumedy played some in 2 games (SFA,LaTech) while Young only played in 1 game. The senior Jones has played in a grand total of 6 games, only playing in 1 last year. We are inexperienced to say the least.

Jarius
08-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Don't forget how well Landrews was playing before he got hurt. I think Landrews + Cole > Abram + McLaurin. We also return a lot of snaps from the backups. The only "weak link" on this defense is at DT. We have to find 3 or 4 guys who can play those 2 positions. I think Autry is good so the other guy and then the 2 deep.

I don’t think they will be as good as last year combined but I do think they will be a borderline elite combo.

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2019, 03:20 PM
The RS freshmen Lovett and Crumedy played some in 2 games (SFA,LaTech) while Young only played in 1 game. The senior Jones has played in a grand total of 6 games, only playing in 1 last year. We are inexperienced to say the least.

Yeah but they at least have been through conditioning and been on the field. It is better than nothing. These are also guys that had offers from teams like Bama and LSU. Ideally they would have been in the 2 deep this year and started next but it is what it is. Hopefully we manage early while they get their feet under them.

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2019, 03:22 PM
I don’t think they will be as good as last year combined but I do think they will be a borderline elite combo.

Combine that with Dantzler and Smitherman who should be one of the better combos in the SEC. Our secondary will be at minimum top half of the SEC if not better. If we get some production out of DT then we could have a top 10-15 defense.

Jarius
08-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Combine that with Dantzler and Smitherman who should be one of the better combos in the SEC. Our secondary will be at minimum top half of the SEC if not better. If we get some production out of DT then we could have a top 10-15 defense.

I agree that is possible. It all depends on the defensive tackle production. Luckily, that is the easiest position to adjust to in the college game (if there is such a thing).

R2Dawg
08-01-2019, 03:36 PM
DE - Rivers/Adams
DT - Lovett/Crumedy
DE - Spencer/Jones

We may be inexperienced in spots but that is still some talent right there. We have good exp on ends too. With in exp up middle, good to have stud LB group. When I see it listed out, I get more encouraged instead of worried. Next year, we got lots of holes to fill but not worried about 2020.

R2Dawg
08-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Agree. Our secondary should be a top 10 in country. LB maybe as well. If up front gels then we will be in 10-15 range.

Ari Gold
08-01-2019, 03:58 PM
DE - Rivers/Adams
DT - Lovett/Crumedy
DE - Spencer/Jones

Really need Love to be declared eligible.. NCAA of course dragging their feet.

msstate7
08-01-2019, 03:59 PM

Do we expect a yes? If we get it, is he more depth or a starter?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-01-2019, 04:09 PM

It's going to be very hard for anyone to take a starting spot from Autry & Lovett.

msstate7
08-01-2019, 04:12 PM
It's going to be very hard for anyone to take a starting spot from Autry & Lovett.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't want one of our starters' status in limbo

Doggie_Style
08-01-2019, 04:15 PM

I'm really looking forward to seeing Lovette .....that guy is plays with ferocity!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-01-2019, 04:17 PM

On Steve's last podcast he mentioned that Love has a great case, but that the NCAA is trying to tighten up some of the transfers and Love could just be wrong spot, wrong time to be eligible.

thf24
08-01-2019, 04:24 PM
On Steve's last podcast he mentioned that Love has a great case, but that the NCAA is trying to tighten up some of the transfers and Love could just be wrong spot, wrong time to be eligible.

I wonder why they weren't interested in tightening up on any of the 30-something transfers who had little to no case but they approved immediate eligibility anyway just a few months ago.

msu15
08-01-2019, 04:27 PM
DE - Rivers/Adams
DT - Lovett/Crumedy
DE - Spencer/Jones

Got to say I'm surprised by Spencer over Jones

KOdawg1
08-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Our DEs will be fine. Plenty of talent and depth there.

Autry and Lovett will be good DTs. Lovett is mean as hell. But behind them is where I worry.

msstate7
08-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Our DEs will be fine. Plenty of talent and depth there.

Autry and Lovett will be good DTs. Lovett is mean as hell. But behind them is where I worry.

Seems our DEs are better suited for run stopping than pass rushing. Might have to blitz more this year?

BuckyIsAB****
08-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Seems our DEs are better suited for run stopping than pass rushing. Might have to blitz more this year?

Fletcher Adams and Spencer are going to be good pass rushers. Adams has a great motor. Spencer is a proven pass rusher. Rivers will be All SEC

SmokeyDawg
08-01-2019, 08:36 PM
With the lack of experience and depth at the DT position does anyone think we sub in another DE for DT in passing situations? I feel like we did this under Collins a little.

I'm interested to see what Adams, Spencer and Jones can do with more snaps. They have all produced when given the opportunity, we'll see if they can be consistent.

defiantdog
08-01-2019, 10:10 PM
I don't see our DL as a weakness. They will stop the run and force bad throws. The linebackers are mature and will really help with blitz packages. Pickering will be a constant double team when he's in the game. He'll attract a lot of attention. We shouldn't be worried about our defense. Our offense has all of the questions. We have a QB that's played more receiver than QB the last few years and receivers who really struggle. It'll be another year of our defense bailing out our offense.

HoopsDawg
08-01-2019, 10:24 PM
I don't see our DL as a weakness. They will stop the run and force bad throws. The linebackers are mature and will really help with blitz packages. Pickering will be a constant double team when he's in the game. He'll attract a lot of attention. We shouldn't be worried about our defense. Our offense has all of the questions. We have a QB that's played more receiver than QB the last few years and receivers who really struggle. It'll be another year of our defense bailing out our offense.

How do you know our DL will stop the run. Our DT's are big question mark. How will that effect our LB play. Gay, Thompson, and Lewis were rarely bothered by guards or the center last year.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-01-2019, 10:41 PM
With the lack of experience and depth at the DT position does anyone think we sub in another DE for DT in passing situations?

I do think you will see some of this.

I'm very optimistic about our DL, but let's be honest. Sweat was just so disruptive off the edge. And Simmons could clog the middle on runs, and push the pocket on passes, all while being double teamed. You don't lose two players like that and not feel it. We lost DTs Simmons, Thomas, Harris, Hoyett, and Brown. That's a lot of experience and talent. Our depth was just so good last year on the DL. Just unreal depth and talent at all 4 spots along the line last year. And DLine is so important in this league. This ain't the PAC 12.

defiantdog
08-01-2019, 11:03 PM
How do you know our DL will stop the run. Our DT's are big question mark. How will that effect our LB play. Gay, Thompson, and Lewis were rarely bothered by guards or the center last year.

Thompson was constantly blowing up the interior linemen last season.

SmokeyDawg
08-01-2019, 11:19 PM

All 3 can stop the run game sideline to sideline, between the tackles Thompson is excellent. They can all 3 drop in coverage and play their zone pretty well too. I think our secondary is more built with ball hawks and coverage abilities than last year's thump with our safeties and the LBs will prioritize the LOS this year more than last.

Homedawg
08-01-2019, 11:43 PM
People don't understand the need for depth at DT. Yes it's important your staters are good. We done have that as a known. And we have zero depth. Best case is, we have 4/5 guys that can play there. That's not enough. And that assuming Pickering can play now. We played 7/8 guys there last year.

SmokeyDawg
08-02-2019, 12:43 AM
People don't understand the need for depth at DT. Yes it's important your staters are good. We done have that as a known. And we have zero depth. Best case is, we have 4/5 guys that can play there. That's not enough. And that assuming Pickering can play now. We played 7/8 guys there last year.

Yes it's a disadvantage but can scheme and other personnel not make up for that. Sure, but we'll see. We have a handful of DL guys that have been in the shadows of the best to come through State. We can't say they can't get the job done either. Interior DL can be effective with size, strength, and scheme; experience is definitely a plus. Depth is a concern but better teams have had worse deficiencies. I have a wait and see outlook this year but the defense isn't the bigger concern to me.

1bigdawg
08-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Ari, I don't understand this. Love is a redshirt freshman just like Lovett, Crumedy, etc. Also he was not as highly recruited out of high school as those guys. Why is it so important that he be eligible? Was he supposed to be All-ACC this year at NC State? If the coaches like the guy, I want him eligible also, just want to know why you think it is so important/

Ari Gold
08-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Ari, I don't understand this. Love is a redshirt freshman just like Lovett, Crumedy, etc. Also he was not as highly recruited out of high school as those guys. Why is it so important that he be eligible? Was he supposed to be All-ACC this year at NC State? If the coaches like the guy, I want him eligible also, just want to know why you think it is so important/

It was Louisville , and it will add depth to a position we are thin at .. and yes I was told we like Allen and he would for sure be In the rotation

biggun
08-03-2019, 10:02 PM
It was Louisville , and it will add depth to a position we are thin at .. and yes I was told we like Allen and he would for sure be In the rotation

Shows just how how bad our DT depth and/or our DT talent is. All of the maroon sunshine pumpers are going to hate this dose of reality but sorry, here it is.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Allen Love is here and practicing.

Todd4State
08-03-2019, 10:34 PM
With the lack of experience and depth at the DT position does anyone think we sub in another DE for DT in passing situations? I feel like we did this under Collins a little.

I'm interested to see what Adams, Spencer and Jones can do with more snaps. They have all produced when given the opportunity, we'll see if they can be consistent.

We probably should. But that doesn't mean we will.

That said I think everyone worried about the DT's is forgetting that Shoop is a really good DC who is versatile enough to scheme around some things. He did well with Vanderbilt level defenses in the SEC for goodness sakes.

Jarius
08-04-2019, 05:52 AM
Allen Love is here and practicing.

That doesn't mean he is eligible this year.

Ari Gold
08-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Shows just how how bad our DT depth and/or our DT talent is. All of the maroon sunshine pumpers are going to hate this dose of reality but sorry, here it is.

That post in no way said we have lack of talent at the DT position.. they are just young.. and there is nothing wrong with having another talented player in Love eligible to play..
Again no one can replace Simmons.. but we can replace the other departing Srs ..

tcdog70
08-04-2019, 10:16 AM
I'm not worried about the DTs. Plenty of talent, just young. Our staff will Coach them up. Simmons was a freshman once.

Ari Gold
08-04-2019, 10:46 AM
I'm not worried about the DTs. Plenty of talent, just young. Our staff will Coach them up. Simmons was a freshman once.

Agree we have some very talented guys , just young . Autry is a pro and should have a great year
We just need a few of the young and very talented kids to step
Up .
Again You can’t replace Simmons. But we have some cats here that can and prob will be All Sec guys before they are done
And side note that no one is talking about the other 9 guys we have out there with them are pretty ****ing good and experienced

RiverCityDawg
08-04-2019, 12:48 PM

The maroon sunshine pumpers are not nearly as bad as those around here that are so eager to constantly remind us of the worst case scenario.

Homedawg
08-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Well our top DT's to start the season are all going to be Fr. All of them. Talent isn't the problem. Experience and depth are!!

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Well our top DT's to start the season are all going to be Fr. All of them. Talent isn't the problem. Experience and depth are!!

Autry is a senior.

msstate7
08-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Agree we have some very talented guys , just young . Autry is a pro and should have a great year
Up .
Again You can?t replace Simmons. But we have some cats here that can and prob will be All Sec guys before they are done
And side note that no one is talking about the other 9 guys we have out there with them are pretty ****ing good and experienced

I created a thread that had autry in the mock, but I do question it. Autry played in all 13 games last year, but he 11 tackles (2 solo), no QB pressures or TFL.

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Up .
Again You can’t replace Simmons. But we have some cats here that can and prob will be All Sec guys before they are done

The inexperienced guys everyone is worried about are all rated higher than the guys they are replacing except for Simmons. And DT is one of the easiest positions to transition to. I think their overall talent will offset the inexperience to a degree.

Todd4State
08-04-2019, 01:35 PM
I created a thread that had autry in the mock, but I do question it. Autry played in all 13 games last year, but he 11 tackles (2 solo), no QB pressures or TFL.

He's a DT. Most of them don't rack up big time stats. Their job is to occupy blockers and then make tackles if necessary if they can.

And now you question the legitimacy of Walter Football now that it doesn't fit your narrative. So predictable and lame.

msstate7
08-04-2019, 01:41 PM
He's a DT. Most of them don't rack up big time stats. Their job is to occupy blockers and then make tackles if necessary if they can.

And now you question the legitimacy of Walter Football now that it doesn't fit your narrative. So predictable and lame.

It wasn't Walter football, so predictable and lame of you to talk about what you don't know though

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?75439-Interesting-mock-draft-2020

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2019, 01:42 PM
If our biggest concern on this team is DT then we are in pretty good shape.

My biggest concern, and one would think it would be everybodys, is the offense. Defensively we are going to be fine

Homedawg
08-04-2019, 01:45 PM
Autry is a senior.

Yep he is...... re read my post.... there is a reason ...

RiverCityDawg
08-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Yep he is...... re read my post.... there is a reason ...

You officially adding him to the Weatherspoon, Thompson, Gay(?) list?

Homedawg
08-04-2019, 01:54 PM
You officially adding him to the Weatherspoon, Thompson, Gay(?) list?

Kt isn't on that list.... not that one.

SmokeyDawg
08-04-2019, 02:28 PM
How has Odom looked in practices? I thought he could put on some weight and be a physical presence in the interior.

HoopsDawg
08-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Shoop's going to have to earn his salary this year. Going to have to do some slants, odd fronts, run blitzes etc.

Autry was a rotation guy last year. I would say he was our 4th best DT last year.

BuckyIsAB****
08-04-2019, 08:12 PM
How has Odom looked in practices? I thought he could put on some weight and be a physical presence in the interior.

Hes a DE

Leeshouldveflanked
08-05-2019, 03:52 AM
I think we will see Spencer and Jones play some DT even if it is only 5-10 snaps a game.... you could see some 3 man front as well.

R2Dawg
08-05-2019, 11:30 AM
I think we will see Spencer and Jones play some DT even if it is only 5-10 snaps a game.... you could see some 3 man front as well.

I think we see Fletch on inside some too.

R2Dawg
08-05-2019, 11:33 AM

Simmons is the main position drop off. Sweat and Abram will be a little but we have strong replacements - Rivers and Cole. Everywhere else we should be a year better.

msstate7
08-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Simmons is the main position drop off. Sweat and Abram will be a little but we have strong replacements - Rivers and Cole. Everywhere else we should be a year better.

I think they're all individually gonna be extremely difficult to replace, and then you have the cumulative effect of replacing all 3 at once

BuckyIsAB****
08-05-2019, 12:07 PM
I think we see Fletch on inside some too.

He is really light to be playing inside but he could do it on 3rd down some for pass rush

Tbonewannabe
08-05-2019, 03:13 PM
I think they're all individually gonna be extremely difficult to replace, and then you have the cumulative effect of replacing all 3 at once

Simmons and Sweat were one of the top DT/DE combos in the country. Anyone would have a dropoff from losing them. The only thing is when we haven't had a strong defense, it was typically due to a shitty DC. We get enough quality defensive guys to keep our defense at least acceptable.

RiverCityDawg
08-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Simmons and Sweat were one of the top DT/DE combos in the country. Anyone would have a dropoff from losing them. The only thing is when we haven't had a strong defense, it was typically due to a shitty DC. We get enough quality defensive guys to keep our defense at least acceptable.

Another way to make up for the drop off would be to create more turnovers. Last year's defense was a elite in all regards except creating turnovers. The analytics support that turnovers are among the top if not THE top indicator for who wins a football game. Moorhead has talked about this and mentioned how improving takeaway numbers was pretty much the only area for improvement. Even just one more takeaway a game in SEC games would be huge towards closing the gap.

Tbonewannabe
08-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Another way to make up for the drop off would be to create more turnovers. Last year's defense was a elite in all regards except creating turnovers. The analytics support that turnovers are among the top if not THE top indicator for who wins a football game. Moorhead has talked about this and mentioned how improving takeaway numbers was pretty much the only area for improvement. Even just one more takeaway a game in SEC games would be huge towards closing the gap.

If you think about it, most of the time a turnover creates a swing in the score. Whether it is a turnover when someone is about to score or puts someone in scoring range. You are either taking away a FG chance or giving yourself one at the minimum. There is only about 20 or so yards on the field that this isn't the case. That doesn't even factor in returns for TDs.

Scared_Hitless
08-06-2019, 09:22 AM
We will have a good idea of our defense from the first game. In the past when we have had poor defenses per our standard, we struggled to shutdown low level teams like ULL, Troy, and others. When you play these schools you need to be borderline dominant in yards allowed and ppg. If we come out and shutout or limit ULL to 10 or under and around 200 yards I will feel better about our situation on the DL.

But if they come out and gash us for 200 rushing yards or even 100 to 150 we will have alot of concern moving forward.

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2019, 09:34 AM
We will have a good idea of our defense from the first game. In the past when we have had poor defenses per our standard, we struggled to shutdown low level teams like ULL, Troy, and others. When you play these schools you need to be borderline dominant in yards allowed and ppg. If we come out and shutout or limit ULL to 10 or under and around 200 yards I will feel better about our situation on the DL.

But if they come out and gash us for 200 rushing yards or even 100 to 150 we will have alot of concern moving forward.

I'd put a caveat on that. If our 1s & 2s dominate them, but our 3s and 4s give up big chunks in garbage time, then I would say "we are what we thought we were - talented, but inexperienced." If our 1s and 2s look like we did against Samford in 2016, then we have cause for panic. I really think Shoop & Co. have these guys motivated to be a force, and they take pride in dominating.

Jack Lambert
08-06-2019, 09:53 AM

What do you mean by weakness? You can be the weakest link in a chain but still be strong as hell.

Scared_Hitless
08-06-2019, 10:35 AM
I'd put a caveat on that. If our 1s & 2s dominate them, but our 3s and 4s give up big chunks in garbage time, then I would say "we are what we thought we were - talented, but inexperienced." If our 1s and 2s look like we did against Samford in 2016, then we have cause for panic. I really think Shoop & Co. have these guys motivated to be a force, and they take pride in dominating.

100% agree with you, I think Shoop has this unit ready I expect a few growing pains early but I think we finish on the cusp of top ten nationally again.

Homedawg
08-06-2019, 11:48 AM
What do you mean by weakness? You can be the weakest link in a chain but still be strong as hell.

That's possible. But not likely..... 4fr and a so who was a center last year are in our 3 deep. The other is Autry..........