PDA

View Full Version : Cole Smith transferring to state

Wade Garrett
08-01-2019, 11:23 AM
https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Lawson-Locked-in-With-Mississippi-State-134045184

msstate7
08-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Nice. Now he will count against the 85, right?

KB21
08-01-2019, 11:26 AM
He always wanted to be at Mississippi State. I'm not sure what happened to his recruitment at that time.

Commercecomet24
08-01-2019, 11:27 AM
He will not go on scholarship until the spring. He will go in with the 2020 class. Gotta give JoMo credit he's not skimping on the OL recruiting.

msstate7
08-01-2019, 11:28 AM
He will not go on scholarship until the spring. He will go in with the 2020 class. Gotta give JoMo credit he's not skimping on the OL recruiting.

Thanks

Commercecomet24
08-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Thanks

No prob. You're welcome.

msu15
08-01-2019, 11:39 AM
He always wanted to be at Mississippi State. I'm not sure what happened to his recruitment at that time.

Dan Mullen

MarketingBully
08-01-2019, 11:41 AM

This is huge. He’s the heir apparent to replacing Williams at Center. Was an UA AA and can play any of the interior positions along the line. Was a legacy and yet Hevesy and Mullen couldn’t reel him in. I have no doubt if Mullen/Hevesy were still here he wouldn’t of landed here. Hevesy may be a good OL coach but he’s the biggest asshole you will meet and was a horrid recruiter. One thing is for sure Johnson and JoMo are excellent recruiters along the OL. We should have one of the better OLs we’ve had in a long time this year to anchor our offense.

msstate7
08-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Dan Mullen

Dan was recruiting for Florida in December of that class

Commercecomet24
08-01-2019, 11:46 AM
This is huge. He’s the heir apparent to replacing Williams at Center. Was an UA AA and can play any of the interior positions along the line. Was a legacy and yet Hevesy and Mullen couldn’t reel him in. I have no doubt if Mullen/Hevesy were still here he wouldn’t of landed here. Hevesy may be a good OL coach but he’s the biggest asshole you will meet and was a horrid recruiter. One thing is for sure Johnson and JoMo are excellent recruiters along the OL. We should have one of the better OLs we’ve had in a long time this year to anchor our offense.

Agreed. Should be a great replacement at center when Williams leaves. I really love the way Joe and Johnson are going after legit OL's. We are bringing in some dang good talent at OL. If we can get our WR recruiting equal to the rest of our recruiting(and it appears JoMo is addressing that as well), we will be in good shape talent wise.

thf24
08-01-2019, 12:08 PM

Dan should have had him in our boat for a year prior to that if he really wanted to be here.

MarketingBully
08-01-2019, 12:12 PM

He committed to LSU in March of 2017. If Mullen and Hevesy were still here, he would be at Ole Miss right now. He didn’t like them. Neither did Scott Lashley.

RezDog7
08-01-2019, 12:12 PM
I may have missed it, but does that mean he will have two or three years to play?

Todd4State
08-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Hevesy probably just assumed he would commit since he was a legacy and didn't work hard enough to get him.

MarketingBully
08-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Agreed. Should be a great replacement at center when Williams leaves. I really love the way Joe and Johnson are going after legit OL's. We are bringing in some dang good talent at OL. If we can get our WR recruiting equal to the rest of our recruiting(and it appears JoMo is addressing that as well), we will be in good shape talent wise.

What is dumbfounding to me is Mingo and Jackson went to Ole Miss even though the offense they are going to run is a run first spread that Rodriguez will run. The better offense for them to thrive in will be JoMo’s offense. You will see more and more WRs get in our boat now especially with how we are going to use the passing game this year with Stevens and Zuber leading the charge. Add another year with Guidry and hopefully Whop takes a huge step forward and we have the makings of a solid receiving corp. Hopefully the addition of Zuber will take pressure away from Guidry so he can get open easier down the field. Hopefully those three will limit the amount of playing time some of our less talented receivers that were forced on the field last year. Our passing game was severely limited by a very inaccurate passer and shaky receivers. Adding a receiver the quality of Zuber could really solidify that position. Look at Fred Ross’s senior year with Fitz. Having a very solid dependable receiver can make a world of difference to a QB. Fitz’s best numbers statistically came in Ross’s senior year. I think Zuber will do the same with Stevens.

MarketingBully
08-01-2019, 12:25 PM
I may have missed it, but does that mean he will have two or three years to play?

He will have 3. He only played in two games last year so he preserved a redshirt.

msstate7
08-01-2019, 12:29 PM
The thing I like best about joe is his use of the transfer portal

Ifyouonlyknew
08-01-2019, 12:29 PM
He committed to LSU in March of 2017. If Mullen and Hevesy were still here, he would be at Ole Miss right now. He didn’t like them. Neither did Scott Lashley.

That's not true. If he left LSU it was going to be for MSU no matter who the coaching staff was. Mullen & Hevesy offered him in April after they saw him in spring practice. I can tell 100 stories of Mullen & Hev screwing up but they didn't with Cole IMO. Cole's feelings got hurt on a Thursday he came to watch a MSU spring practice. He thought we were about to offer but we told him we wanted to see him during spring 1st. He went to LSU that Saturday, they offered, & he committed on the spot. It all worked out in the end but we didn't blow it or slow play Cole. He received an offer in April of his Jr year. He was/is an undersized OL so it's not like he was a no-brainer offer.

Lord McBuckethead
08-01-2019, 12:49 PM
That link doesn't work. 24/7 has a terrible interface.

Doggie_Style
08-01-2019, 01:08 PM
What is dumbfounding to me is Mingo and Jackson went to Ole Miss even though the offense they are going to run is a run first spread that Rodriguez will run. The better offense for them to thrive in will be JoMo’s offense. You will see more and more WRs get in our boat now especially with how we are going to use the passing game this year with Morrison and Zuber leading the charge.

Who is Morrison?

Jack Lambert
08-01-2019, 01:21 PM
He played two season in JUCO or did he play at all at LSU?

MarketingBully
08-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Who is Morrison?

Good catch. Fixed it.

msu15
08-01-2019, 02:16 PM

Swing and a miss bud

msstate7
08-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Swing and a miss bud

Well one of the resident recruitniks says it ain't on dan either. What the hell though... blame everything on him, eh?

MarketingBully
08-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Well one of the resident recruitniks says it ain't on dan either. What the hell though... blame everything on him, eh?

The OL recruiting wasn’t so much on Dan but his right hand asshole. Dan has never been a great recruiter but he is a great Xs and Os guy. Never understood why he didn’t surround himself with better recruiters. Even at UF with having crappy coaches at FSU and Miami he isn’t going to recruit high enough to be a playoff team much less win a conference title. He should be getting top 5 classes at UF if he was a great recruiter.

msstate7
08-01-2019, 03:09 PM
The OL recruiting wasn’t so much on Dan but his right hand asshole. Dan has never been a great recruiter but he is a great Xs and Os guy. Never understood why he didn’t surround himself with better recruiters. Even at UF with having crappy coaches at FSU and Miami he isn’t going to recruit high enough to be a playoff team much less win a conference title. He should be getting top 5 classes at UF if he was a great recruiter.

I just wish we had enough name quality to recruit the position despite hev's personality. Hev is not a recruiter, but he's a hell of a coach. I think the dan hev combo will be fine at Florida till their fanbase goes nuts with Georgia jealousy

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2019, 03:17 PM
I just wish we had enough name quality to recruit the position despite hev's personality. Hev is not a recruiter, but he's a hell of a coach. I think the dan hev combo will be fine at Florida till their fanbase goes nuts with Georgia jealousy

Mullen has a few things against him at UF. 1) He doesn't recruit like Urban 2) He has a UGA team that is replicating Bama that is essentially his measuring stick 3) Dan has rarely won a game when he didn't have a talent advantage or at least was even. 4) UF doesn't care about diamonds in the rough, they are already bitching about not signing 5 stars 5) Have I mentioned how UF thinks they should automatically have a top 5 class no matter what 6)McE was on the hot seat for 2 things - offense dragging ass and recruiting only around 15th.

If UF recruits itself like Dan thinks and/or hopes then he should get the talent to compete. If he doesn't get the talent, well at least he got $36 Mil before he goes somewhere else and builds another program up.

BrunswickDawg
08-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Mullen has a few things against him at UF. 1) He doesn't recruit like Urban 2) He has a UGA team that is replicating Bama that is essentially his measuring stick 3) Dan has rarely won a game when he didn't have a talent advantage or at least was even. 4) UF doesn't care about diamonds in the rough, they are already bitching about not signing 5 stars 5) Have I mentioned how UF thinks they should automatically have a top 5 class no matter what 6)McE was on the hot seat for 2 things - offense dragging ass and recruiting only around 15th.

If UF recruits itself like Dan thinks and/or hopes then he should get the talent to compete. If he doesn't get the talent, well at least he got $36 Mil before he goes somewhere else and builds another program up.

And remember - there was a vocal segment of the fanbase that was done with Mullen by the end of 2008. They had a firedanmullen.com going and really felt his offense held them back. Those jorts are a nutty bunch, and they will be quick to light the torches and sharpen the pitchforks.

msstate7
08-01-2019, 03:50 PM
And remember - there was a vocal segment of the fanbase that was done with Mullen by the end of 2008. They had a firedanmullen.com going. They really felt his offense held them back. Those jorts are a nutty bunch.

They're idiots. Mullen's chances of winning big went up astronomically there, but so did his chances of being fired.

Todd4State
08-01-2019, 04:45 PM
That's not true. If he left LSU it was going to be for MSU no matter who the coaching staff was. Mullen & Hevesy offered him in April after they saw him in spring practice. I can tell 100 stories of Mullen & Hev screwing up but they didn't with Cole IMO. Cole's feelings got hurt on a Thursday he came to watch a MSU spring practice. He thought we were about to offer but we told him we wanted to see him during spring 1st. He went to LSU that Saturday, they offered, & he committed on the spot. It all worked out in the end but we didn't blow it or slow play Cole. He received an offer in April of his Jr year. He was/is an undersized OL so it's not like he was a no-brainer offer.

That's a screw-up on Dan and Hevesy's part.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-01-2019, 05:11 PM
That's a screw-up on Dan and Hevesy's part.

I disagree.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-01-2019, 10:39 PM
He committed to LSU in March of 2017. If Mullen and Hevesy were still here, he would be at Ole Miss right now. He didn?t like them. Neither did Scott Lashley.

I had forgot about Lashley. He still riding the pine at Bama?

BuckyIsAB****
08-01-2019, 11:27 PM
And remember - there was a vocal segment of the fanbase that was done with Mullen by the end of 2008. They had a firedanmullen.com going and really felt his offense held them back. Those jorts are a nutty bunch, and they will be quick to light the torches and sharpen the pitchforks.

And we had a chance to get the last laugh but we blew it. Im not sure I will ever get over losing that game. Especially when we could have won it in a multitude of ways

Jarius
08-02-2019, 04:07 AM
His mother did not want him at State. Had nothing to do with Dan or Hevesy.

Tbonewannabe
08-02-2019, 07:26 AM
They're idiots. Mullen's chances of winning big went up astronomically there, but so did his chances of being fired.

McE was on the hotseat before the year he was fired. He lost to FSU and was blown out in the SEC Championship game by Bama. Add to that he was only recruiting at a 15-20 level and his offense sucked. Dan will have a good offense but UF was also tired of the offense because they want Spurrier throw the ball 50 times offense of the past.

They might give Mullen more leeway since McE's last year was so bad but I imagine that won't last long if he is getting blown out by UGA every year like he did last year.

MarketingBully
08-02-2019, 08:26 AM
His mother did not want him at State. Had nothing to do with Dan or Hevesy.

Well he’s at State now so Mom didn’t win out. LSU got the drop on us offering and he committed there. I’d say that is Mullen/Hevesy’s fault. It could have had something to do with him being coached by an asshole as well. I’m sure there are a lot of Mom’s that don’t want their kid coached by Hev the asshole.

BrunswickDawg
08-02-2019, 08:56 AM
McE was on the hotseat before the year he was fired. He lost to FSU and was blown out in the SEC Championship game by Bama. Add to that he was only recruiting at a 15-20 level and his offense sucked. Dan will have a good offense but UF was also tired of the offense because they want Spurrier throw the ball 50 times offense of the past.

They might give Mullen more leeway since McE's last year was so bad but I imagine that won't last long if he is getting blown out by UGA every year like he did last year.

I really wonder whether the big 3 Florida schools will ever be able to sustain their 1990s expectations of competing year in and year out for NC's. I know the State of Florida has an huge amount of talent, but 20 years ago USF, UCF, FIA, FAU were non-existent or non-factors. Those schools elevating themselves hasn't impacted the top talent at the big 3, but it has reduced depth and their ability to easily stockpile talent. But, here we are and it has been 15 years since Miami was a force; pushing toward a decade since UF's NC's and was a NC threat; and FSU - while only 6 years removed from a title is looking at possibly their 3rd straight bad season.

msstate7
08-02-2019, 09:05 AM
I really wonder whether the big 3 Florida schools will ever be able to sustain their 1990s expectations of competing year in and year out for NC's. I know the State of Florida has an huge amount of talent, but 20 years ago USF, UCF, FIA, FAU were non-existent or non-factors. Those schools elevating themselves hasn't impacted the top talent at the big 3, but it has reduced depth and their ability to easily stockpile talent. But, here we are and it has been 15 years since Miami was a force; pushing toward a decade since UF's NC's and was a NC threat; and FSU - while only 6 years removed from a title is looking at possibly their 3rd straight bad season.

I think FSU turns it around this year... not playoff level or anything, but a big turnaround. Here's how Briles' offense has done the year before he arrived and the year he was there...

FAU: 72nd to 9th
Houston: 40th to 7th

In fact, since he's been an OC (baylor 2015), he's never fielded an offense outside the top 10 nationally. Of course, his dad and lane probably deserve a lot of the credit at Baylor and FAU, but he didn't have them at Houston and did it again. I think he's an extremely promising young coach.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Well he’s at State now so Mom didn’t win out. LSU got the drop on us offering and he committed there. I’d say that is Mullen/Hevesy’s fault. It could have had something to do with him being coached by an asshole as well. I’m sure there are a lot of Mom’s that don’t want their kid coached by Hev the asshole.

You keep wanting to blame Mullen & Hev & it wasn't their fault.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2019, 09:24 AM
I think FSU turns it around this year... not playoff level or anything, but a big turnaround. Here's how Briles' offense has done the year before he arrived and the year he was there...

In fact, since he's been an OC (baylor 2015), he's never fielded an offense outside the top 10 nationally. Of course, his dad and lane probably deserve a lot of the credit at Baylor and FAU, but he didn't have them at Houston and did it again. I think he's an extremely promising young coach.

Wow we finally agree on something.

Jarius
08-02-2019, 09:51 AM

It had zero to do with Dan or Hevesy and a lot to do with the relationship between his mom and dad and her not wanting him going where his dad wanted him to go out of spite.

BrunswickDawg
08-02-2019, 10:17 AM

Possibly. It will be interesting to see what Briles can do. I do wonder about their QB situation keeping them from making a big step this year. Losing Francois isn't good.

msstate7
08-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Possibly. It will be interesting to see what Briles can do. I do wonder about their QB situation keeping them from making a big step this year. Losing Francois isn't good.

Briles and taggart better come up with something this year or Mullen might get his first scalp (pun intended) this December