PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Renfroe

somebodyshotmypaw
07-31-2019, 10:30 AM
Read an article last night that states that Hunter Renfroe leads all MLB outfielders with 19 defensive runs saved. It was talking about Franmil Reyes being traded, and Renfroe improving at the plate and in the field.

Tbonewannabe
07-31-2019, 11:22 AM
Read an article last night that states that Hunter Renfroe leads all MLB outfielders with 19 defensive runs saved. It was talking about Franmil Reyes being traded, and Renfroe improving at the plate and in the field.

He will never make it in the MLB. *********

fishwater99
07-31-2019, 12:53 PM
6 Tool player..

dawgs
07-31-2019, 01:22 PM
He will never make it in the MLB. *********

No one ever said that, folks said that if he doesn't improve his plate discipline, he wouldn't have a long term career. He's adjusted and having some success. Many guys can't make that adjustment and flame out, so it's not unreasonable to take a wait and see approach to see if renfroe would be one that adjusted or not, nor is pointing out that he needs to adjust for long term success being negative or badmouthing him. Most guys have to adjust, even mike trout his like .150 in his first MLB stint. Renfroe still has a sub-.300 OBP, and in the modern MLB there's a bunch of guys that can hit 35 HRs with a low average/OBP. If renfroe wants a big time long term contract, he still needs to improve, but he's definitely solidified himself a role over the remainder of his team control years to continue developing and that's great for him and good for MSU.

When you over-exaggerate what others are saying, it's just creates a rift to bicker over when the reality of what was said is far more reasonable.

WPDawg
07-31-2019, 01:51 PM
No one ever said that, folks said that if he doesn't improve his plate discipline, he wouldn't have a long term career. He's adjusted and having some success. Many guys can't make that adjustment and flame out, so it's not unreasonable to take a wait and see approach to see if renfroe would be one that adjusted or not, nor is pointing out that he needs to adjust for long term success being negative or badmouthing him. Most guys have to adjust, even mike trout his like .150 in his first MLB stint. Renfroe still has a sub-.300 OBP, and in the modern MLB there's a bunch of guys that can hit 35 HRs with a low average/OBP. If renfroe wants a big time long term contract, he still needs to improve, but he's definitely solidified himself a role over the remainder of his team control years to continue developing and that's great for him and good for MSU.

When you over-exaggerate what others are saying, it's just creates a rift to bicker over when the reality of what was said is far more reasonable.

I think you missed the original memo....

smootness
07-31-2019, 01:53 PM

First, I think you're the one who missed what was actually said. There was a very prominent member of this board who essentially said exactly that; he was the one not taking the wait-and-see approach.

Second, Renfroe is good enough right now to stick in the majors for a long time.

Tbonewannabe
07-31-2019, 03:06 PM
First, I think you're the one who missed what was actually said. There was a very prominent member of this board who essentially said exactly that; he was the one not taking the wait-and-see approach.

Second, Renfroe is good enough right now to stick in the majors for a long time.

I believe he said that he would never make it to MLB but then moved the goal post when Hunter was called up late his first year. He then said he would never make it for an entire season. I just like to occasionally bring it up because that guy never admits he was wrong about anything.

BeardoMSU
07-31-2019, 03:10 PM
I believe he said that he would never make it to MLB but then moved the goal post when Hunter was called up late his first year. He then said he would never make it for an entire season. I just like to occasionally bring it up because that guy never admits he was wrong about anything.

C'mon, man...playing in a church softball league makes you an authority on everything.***

Percho
07-31-2019, 03:50 PM
Who yall talkin bout?

dawgs
07-31-2019, 06:27 PM

First, previously I've been tossed in with whoever for simply suggesting renfroe's plate discipline needs improving if he wants to cut it long term in MLB so when I read comments like that then I'm assuming it's responding to a much more reasonable take like what I perceive my own take to be because some get their panties in a wad over anything less than the maroonest of the maroon glasses takes.

Second, a sub-.300 OBP won't play long term and renfroe is already 27. His bat speed ain't getting better the next few years and pretty soon will already be on the decline. By the time he's a FA, a 30ish year old player with power and a sub-.300 OBP ain't gonna get many offers beyond 4th OF/power off the bench type offers. Guys with those numbers are a dime a dozen in today's baseball and it's better to invest that playing time in a younger, cheaper player and hope they develop into a better OBP guy than to give those ABs for similar production to a more expensive bet past their prime and unlikely to suddenly improve their OBP. I said earlier that renfroe has solidified himself a role for a few years while under team control and will have an opportunity to improve his plate discipline before hitting the market if he hopes to make himself some real pro athlete money. He has the opportunity, we'll see if he can continue to adjust and improve or if he'll be just another CJ Cron type who struggles to find more then 1 year contracts after his team control years.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-31-2019, 06:51 PM
https://www.mlb.com/padres/news/hunter-renfroe-becoming-an-elite-defender

Here is an article about his defense. The article is almost a month old. But it's a good read.

Coach34
07-31-2019, 09:08 PM

No goalpost ever moved- I said I didnt think he would develop enough plate discipline to play a whole season in MLB. He proved me wrong. Good for Renfroe. Great to see State guys doing well.

smootness
08-01-2019, 07:22 AM
First, previously I've been tossed in with whoever for simply suggesting renfroe's plate discipline needs improving if he wants to cut it long term in MLB so when I read comments like that then I'm assuming it's responding to a much more reasonable take like what I perceive my own take to be because some get their panties in a wad over anything less than the maroonest of the maroon glasses takes.

Second, a sub-.300 OBP won't play long term and renfroe is already 27. His bat speed ain't getting better the next few years and pretty soon will already be on the decline. By the time he's a FA, a 30ish year old player with power and a sub-.300 OBP ain't gonna get many offers beyond 4th OF/power off the bench type offers. Guys with those numbers are a dime a dozen in today's baseball and it's better to invest that playing time in a younger, cheaper player and hope they develop into a better OBP guy than to give those ABs for similar production to a more expensive bet past their prime and unlikely to suddenly improve their OBP. I said earlier that renfroe has solidified himself a role for a few years while under team control and will have an opportunity to improve his plate discipline before hitting the market if he hopes to make himself some real pro athlete money. He has the opportunity, we'll see if he can continue to adjust and improve or if he'll be just another CJ Cron type who struggles to find more then 1 year contracts after his team control years.

Why would you assume people are talking about you, in a thread you hadn't posted in? If there are extreme takes and also more reasonable ones, and someone posts sarcastically about the extreme take, why assume your more reasonable take is lumped in with that?

And CJ Cron is a terrible defensive player. There's the difference. Renfroe has been more valuable so far this year than Cron ever has been in any season in his career.

dawgs
08-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Why would you assume people are talking about you, in a thread you hadn't posted in? If there are extreme takes and also more reasonable ones, and someone posts sarcastically about the extreme take, why assume your more reasonable take is lumped in with that?

And CJ Cron is a terrible defensive player. There's the difference. Renfroe has been more valuable so far this year than Cron ever has been in any season in his career.

Because people have gone after me before for saying renfroe needs to improve plate discipline if he wants to stick in MLB long term and questioning whether he can make the necessary adjustments.

CJ cron was just the first name that popped in my head. Either way, renfroe is playing good D, but he's still a corner OF, and decent D, big bat corner OFs are not that difficult to find and in a few years many of them will be significantly cheaper to roster than renfroe. Therefore, renfroe still needs to drastically improve that OBP to get a good FA deal and starting role. If he can get the OBP around .350, he'll be in really good shape. It is stays around .300, he'll be a 4th OF/DH/stop gap player once he hits FA. It's just that simple. Look at a guy like Corey Dickerson who can't land a long term deal and his career slash numbers outpace renfroe's, especially avg and obp. Advanced metrics indicate he's has 2 seasons significantly better than renfroe's best and 2 more that are similar to renfroe last season and this season. Defensive metrics show Dickerson having a good defensive season last year, but being below average other years. Similarly renfroe is having a good defensive season this year, but has been below average every other season. Defensive metrics aren't perfect and can definitely fluctuate, but the profile for both players is similar. Renfroe with more pure power, Dickerson with more contact skills.

Look, I want renfroe to be a stud, I want him to hit .270 with 40+ bombs. But I'm not gonna get defensive about anyone looking at his game critically and comparing his potential trajectory to other similarly skilled players before him. Could he turn into a David Ortiz or Nelson Cruz or jd martinez? Sure, but that's not a typical trajectory and shouldn't be the expectation. A career like Corey Dickinson is far more reasonable best case expectations.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Renfroe starts tonight with a homer and a walk in his first two trips to the plate.

Tbonewannabe
08-02-2019, 06:49 AM
Renfroe starts tonight with a homer and a walk in his first two trips to the plate.

First Padres outfielder with 30 HRs since Greg Vaughn hit 50 in 1998.