PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do With MSU Athletic's $15+ mil Bump in 2023?

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 07:44 AM
Bo Bounds mentioned this this morning & then I went & read about it that CBS only pays $55 mil per year for the CBS game & SEC title game. The equates to each SEC school receiving about $3.6 mil from CBS $55 mil/15(14 schools & office). However, that deal ends in 2023 at which time the SEC is set to get at a minimum a $250+ million dollar per year deal, which would mean at $250 mil, each SEC school would receive at minimum $16.6 mil per year.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/cbss-sec-deal-was-a-steal-what-happens-next/

That's a huge bump for MSU & certain enough revenue to throw into the budget.

What does MSU do with money?

Jarius
07-30-2019, 07:54 AM
Well we need an IPF, new basketball arena, and SEZ bowled in. Hopefully the IPF will be built before 2023 and the other 2 projects can be started. I'm sure that the smaller sports will get their piece as well. That's a pretty big deal to get that large of a revenue bump. I also think that we need to hire more off field recruiting staff for football.

Leroy Jenkins
07-30-2019, 07:56 AM
Hookers and blow.... but that's just me.

This would help the aesthetics a lot, without adding a bunch of unneeded seating.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQzLwxLOJV3Z9PYIJ8TBY8N1eXrW35 ngMGChLIJCq1DuNm2UZMx

Todd4State
07-30-2019, 07:57 AM
I was going to say IPF but I also expect us to have a new one by 2023. I wonder how much the projected cost for enclosing the end zone with a hotel would be? I figure that will be about the time MSU pursues that.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 07:59 AM
Well we need an IPF, new basketball arena, and SEZ bowled in. Hopefully the IPF will be built before 2023 and the other 2 projects can be started. I'm sure that the smaller sports will get their piece as well. That's a pretty big deal to get that large of a revenue bump. I also think that we need to hire more off field recruiting staff for football.

It's a huge bump. At $15 mil per year, that pays for Dudy Noble in 4 years. It's allows the athletic department to do just about anything they want.

and here is the beauty. $15 more for us means more than $15 more for Alabama, LSU, & other schools.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 08:01 AM
I was going to say IPF but I also expect us to have a new one by 2023. I wonder how much the projected cost for enclosing the end zone with a hotel would be? I figure that will be about the time MSU pursues that.

The North endzone cost $75 mil. So throw in some inflation & a commitment to doing things right & maybe it cost $90 mil?

With $15 mil per year, we could pay that off in 6 years.

BrunswickDawg
07-30-2019, 08:04 AM
The North endzone cost $75 mil. So throw in some inflation & a commitment to doing things right & maybe it cost $90 mil?

With $15 mil per year, we could pay that off in 6 years.

That probably depends more on how we do it. If it is a hotel, the developer could pay the construction cost in lieu of a lease (but MSU maintain ownership). That could knock $20m or more off that bill in a hurry.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 08:10 AM
Chairback the stadium that decreases existing stadium to 52K, then bowl in the South endzone to raise capacity to 65K. Put awning over upper decks similar to English Premier League stadiums, that would provide shade & hold sound in stadium.

Would create an intimate, loud, awesome, comfortable atmosphere.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 08:11 AM
That probably depends more on how we do it. If it is a hotel, the developer could pay the construction cost in lieu of a lease (but MSU maintain ownership). That could knock $20m or more off that bill in a hurry.

I'm not in favor of a hotel. We need to be big boys & bowl the stadium in. Just start chairbacking the existing stadium to get the capacity to around 65K with new bowled in endzone.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Would love for DWS to have this type of feel to it. Would be an absolute game changer for us in terms of atmosphere & getting people to attend games. It would offer "premium seating" to basically everyone due to shade, chairback, & protection from rain.

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/tottenhamstadium1-1.jpg

Dannyripms
07-30-2019, 08:30 AM
Chairback the stadium that decreases existing stadium to 52K, then bowl in the South endzone to raise capacity to 65K. Put awning over upper decks similar to English Premier League stadiums, that would provide shade & hold sound in stadium.

i agree with this most of all. chairback seats and bowl it in with a awning. That would be awesome.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 08:39 AM
i agree with this most of all. chairback seats and bowl it in with a awning. That would be awesome.

Would allow MSU to set a new bar like we did with Dudy Noble. A trend setter that made DWS unique

3rdGen
07-30-2019, 08:51 AM
Would allow MSU to set a new bar like we did with Dudy Noble. A trend setter that made DWS unique

I am with you on this 65k is plenty of people making noise in our stadium...... making sure that the sound stays in is the most important thing just before bowling it in. Somebody threw out the idea of a "LFLish" but I dont think you have to go that far. Just bowl it in and update the M club so that the concourse connects all the way around and the materials and design match the other parts of the stadium. Maybe have a few more premium boxes or whatever on the upper levels. I know a lot of money will be spent on planning the design but its really a simple concept. Its just the execution and presentation.

jacksondawg
07-30-2019, 09:21 AM

I would also add redoing the upper deck of the west side of the stadium new press box/suites/club level

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 09:22 AM
I would also add redoing the upper deck of the west side of the stadium new press box/suites/club level

Agree. That needs to be done.

Johnson85
07-30-2019, 09:27 AM

Regardless of how they do it, a hotel on campus shouldn't take money away from the athletic department but generate money for it. And the great thing is, a lot of the money generated would not be from the same donors you are already relying on. A hotel on campus should be occupied year round pretty consistently and then get exhorbitant rates on football weekends and really good rates on basketball and baseball weekends/weekdays.

Dolphus Raymond
07-30-2019, 09:29 AM
So, when Ole Miss inevitably runs afoul of the NCAA again, will the rest of the conference divide their share until the bowl ban is lifted?

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Regardless of how they do it, a hotel on campus shouldn't take money away from the athletic department but generate money for it. And the great thing is, a lot of the money generated would not be from the same donors you are already relying on. A hotel on campus should be occupied year round pretty consistently and then get exhorbitant rates on football weekends and really good rates on basketball and baseball weekends/weekdays.

I'm ok with adding a hotel on the outside of the stadium, but not having seats in the south endzone seems stupid to me. It's important to the atmosphere.

4suredog
07-30-2019, 10:02 AM
I would say go ahead and start/ build every project that's even almost on the drawing board. Then use that money to repay the debt. Thats one hell of a note you could tote with that kind of guaranteed income... So in 5 years we would totally on par facilities wise with anybody and not hurting ourselves with the cost.

msu15
07-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Would love for DWS to have this type of feel to it. Would be an absolute game changer for us in terms of atmosphere & getting people to attend games. It would offer "premium seating" to basically everyone due to shade, chairback, & protection from rain.

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/tottenhamstadium1-1.jpg

Holy shit.....we would be the loudest stadium on this planet.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Holy shit.....we would be the loudest stadium on this planet.

Yes we would and it is exactly what we need

While other SEC schools are focusing on size, we should attempt to build something like Fogg Allen or Cameron. Intimate but ear splitting and comfy

BrunswickDawg
07-30-2019, 10:14 AM

There are definitely ways that it could be structured to be a revenue + situation for the University or the Athletic Department. Typically, projects like this are done with a ground lease based on obtaining the value of the land over life of the lease as a monthly base, then getting a % of the Net Revenue that is typically skewed to pay more during busy periods. Typically, the lease payment is ramped up over a 3-5 year period to allow for occupancy and revenue to stabilize. The construction is handled by the lease holder. At minimum, it should generate $500k a year for MSU because of the almost guaranteed occupancy rate for the hotel. Depending upon the level of investment by the lease holder, MSU could forgo a lease payment if they chose.

However, conceivably, MSU could defray a large segment of the overall construction cost for whole expansion project by letting the lease holder finance and build the project. That could allow MSU funds to accomplish other needs (like the shade structures or other stadium rehab needs). The flip side is, the $500k lease could cover the bulk of the annual bond payback costs on the overall expansion project over the 20-30 year life of the bonds. Either way, adding a hotel component can and should be a winning deal for MSU.

Johnson85
07-30-2019, 10:14 AM
I'm ok with adding a hotel on the outside of the stadium, but not having seats in the south endzone seems stupid to me. It's important to the atmosphere.

I don't think you should have zero seats. I just don't know that you need to bowl it in. Do some chairbacks that back up to the hotel, and then have balconies above it. Or maybe do chairbacks that back up to a premium area that is on the first level of the hotel. Or maybe put some restaurants and patio seating in the corners with a limited number of chairbacks below it. I just dont' think we need to be expanding when attendance is stagnant. We need to focusing on providing a game day experience that is more enjoyable to compete with people wanting to watch on tv.

If we were ready to commit to putting chairbacks in the entire lower level, we could probably bowl it in. And I don't think that'd be a bad strategy. No more capacity but much more premium seating seems like the right way to react to current trends. I'm just not sure about the economics of it. The hotel though I think would pay for itself and then you're just talking about having to pay for and sell tickets for the parts you need to make the hotel connect to the stadium and completely close it in.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 12:00 PM
I don't think you should have zero seats. I just don't know that you need to bowl it in. Do some chairbacks that back up to the hotel, and then have balconies above it. Or maybe do chairbacks that back up to a premium area that is on the first level of the hotel. Or maybe put some restaurants and patio seating in the corners with a limited number of chairbacks below it. I just dont' think we need to be expanding when attendance is stagnant. We need to focusing on providing a game day experience that is more enjoyable to compete with people wanting to watch on tv.

If we were ready to commit to putting chairbacks in the entire lower level, we could probably bowl it in. And I don't think that'd be a bad strategy. No more capacity but much more premium seating seems like the right way to react to current trends. I'm just not sure about the economics of it. The hotel though I think would pay for itself and then you're just talking about having to pay for and sell tickets for the parts you need to make the hotel connect to the stadium and completely close it in.

With $15+ extra mil per year, it seems to me that we can do much of anything we want.

The revenue from a hotel in the end zone is pennies compared to what we are making.

Make the place bad ass

Liverpooldawg
07-30-2019, 03:47 PM
The absolute BIGGEST need for the stadium, for those that actually GO to the games, is to renovate underneath the stands on the lower east side to match the rest of the stadium. That should come FIRST at the stadium and it really isn't debatable. Now will they do that first, who knows?

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 03:51 PM
The absolute BIGGEST need for the stadium, for those that actually GO to the games, is to renovate underneath the stands on the lower east side to match the rest of the stadium. That should come FIRST at the stadium and it really isn't debatable. Now will they do that first, who knows?

I can agree with this, but with $15-$20 extra million a year, we can probably do that in conjunction with something much larger

MedDawg
07-30-2019, 03:57 PM
Bo Bounds mentioned this this morning & then I went & read about it that CBS only pays $55 mil per year for the CBS game & SEC title game. The equates to each SEC school receiving about $3.6 mil from CBS $55 mil/15(14 schools & office). However, that deal ends in 2023 at which time the SEC is set to get at a minimum a $250+ million dollar per year deal, which would mean at $250 mil, each SEC school would receive at minimum $16.6 mil per year.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/cbss-sec-deal-was-a-steal-what-happens-next/

That's a huge bump for MSU & certain enough revenue to throw into the budget.

What does MSU do with money?

Some seats for general admission ticketholders in the New Dude

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 04:09 PM

Yes.

Pipedream
07-30-2019, 04:19 PM

I think the biggest need from a MSU perspective-the best way to maximize the revenue-is to gut and renovate the top of the west side and the middle deck to have more luxury options. That would be my first move before I stepped off in the south end zone. I know the waiting list for sky boxes was, at one time, pretty lengthy and you could run a whole bunch of them in that mid deck. I'd also kick the media to the north end zone. That's prime real estate that they're not making any money off of. Probably turn the top half of the west side into premium with club access at the top of that structure. Then a few years down the line you could chairback everything on west/east sides and carry the lost seating to the south end zone if it can be sustainable.

Lord McBuckethead
07-30-2019, 04:46 PM
I would hire me to design a new facade for the north elevation of Dorman Hall. Man I would drastically change both the looks and function of the building.

All it would take would be about 45 million. 3 years worth and we will not have to see that buildign as it stands again.

Lord McBuckethead
07-30-2019, 04:48 PM

Yes.

Yep. No idea how they 17ed that up. I mean, shit. There is a way to do that nicely as well. 15 million could get a ton of chairbacks for GA too.

BuckyIsAB****
07-30-2019, 05:03 PM

None of that should come before a legit IPF that can compete with others. Right now the Palmeiro is an antique compared to Bama and OM. Thats the only thing OM has on us atm

BuckyIsAB****
07-30-2019, 05:04 PM

This is the only thing I am ok with them doing before an IPF

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 05:04 PM
I think the biggest need from a MSU perspective-the best way to maximize the revenue-is to gut and renovate the top of the west side and the middle deck to have more luxury options. That would be my first move before I stepped off in the south end zone. I know the waiting list for sky boxes was, at one time, pretty lengthy and you could run a whole bunch of them in that mid deck. I'd also kick the media to the north end zone. That's prime real estate that they're not making any money off of. Probably turn the top half of the west side into premium with club access at the top of that structure. Then a few years down the line you could chairback everything on west/east sides and carry the lost seating to the south end zone if it can be sustainable.

We had $100 mil in revenue last year with $86 mil in expenses. I realize it's fuzzier than this, but that means we made somewhere in the neighborhood of $14 million in profit. Add $20 more mil to that in 2023 & your looking at an athletic department that is making $30ish million in profit each year.

I would think that kind of money coming in, we could do pretty much whatever we wanted over a 5 year period.

Renovate the DWS on both the East side & the West upper 2 decks.

Add GA seats to DNF

Bowl in DWS endzone, chairback the seats, & add covered seating all the way around.

All that probably cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 mil that we could pay off in 10 years with that kind of profit

Mjoelner34
07-30-2019, 05:45 PM
1. Rennovate the Hump and the lower east side of Davis Wade restrooms and concessions.
2. Move the Davis Wade press box to top of the west side upper deck, create club level seating on the middle tier of the west side, create more seating entrance ramps on the lower west side to match the number on the lower east side. (I've heard many people complain about the length of the rows due to limited access ramps)
3. Install chairback seating in the lower bowl of Davis Wade and re-seat the lower bowl per BDC rank. (How many current season ticket holders will get booted, if any, because of the reduction of seats? And, how do you handle that?)
4. Bowl-in the south endzone at least as high as club level and let the center portion of that club level be the new M-Club.
5. Build hotel behind the south endzone with balconies overlooking the field.
6. Build a walking bridge over Hwy 12 at the Russell St. intersection. (If you can walk that far to and from the stadium, your ass can also climb stairs after the game to keep vehicle traffic moving) If needs warrant it, I'd do the same over Blackjack at Stone Blvd.
7. Extend upper deck of Dudy Noble one section down the LF and RF lines for GA-only seating. Angle the extensions to parallel the angled portion of the berms to improve sight lines. (may not be necessary to do this)

The reason I said Step 7 may not be necessary is that I think there is a better way to do it and its all with tickets and tiers. Two things are obvious. 1. The stadium is going to sell out of season tickets every year and many of those people are only going to attend a handful of games. 2. The ticket exchange run by MSU and those on this and other message boards aren't going to cut it. I don't know the price of single game tickets. I bought season GA tickets for the LFL. I THINK I saw one time that SEC GA tickets were $10 and chairbacks were $25 so I'll go with that. What if you added a tier in between those two for $17.50. The $17.50 guarantees you GA seating AND the opportunity to sit in a chairback after 1.5 innings. If the true seat owner shows up after that, you find another empty chairback. You are basically wagering $7.50 that there will be an empty chairback for you and for most games, you'll win. If you win, you just saved $7.50 on a chairback seat. At the same time, the university just made another $7.50. They win too.

Lord McBuckethead
07-30-2019, 05:58 PM
I'm not in favor of a hotel. We need to be big boys & bowl the stadium in. Just start chairbacking the existing stadium to get the capacity to around 65K with new bowled in endzone.

Agreed.

Lord McBuckethead
07-30-2019, 05:59 PM
Build a brand new Hump. Call it the "Cristal Arena"

HoopsDawg
07-30-2019, 06:25 PM

that would be great. Put some cup holders in too.

HoopsDawg
07-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Build a brand new Hump. Call it the "Cristal Arena"

Nothing wrong with the Hump imo.

Homedawg
07-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Yep. No idea how they 17ed that up. I mean, shit. There is a way to do that nicely as well. 15 million could get a ton of chairbacks for GA too.

We are never going to build GA chairbacks. If we build more they will be sold. There is already a waiting list. Y'all can keep beating the dead horse if you wish.

Goldendawg
07-30-2019, 08:33 PM
On this idea of a motel, I suppose that it would have to have some sort of a parking garage. Do you really thing that it would have a high occupancy except during sporting events? I say build a new M Club with balcony seating, more luxury boxes, and tie this into a bowl with a lower level of chairbacks. #1 priority should be a proper size IPF for football only. Hail State!

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 08:36 PM
1. Rennovate the Hump and the lower east side of Davis Wade restrooms and concessions.
2. Move the Davis Wade press box to top of the west side upper deck, create club level seating on the middle tier of the west side, create more seating entrance ramps on the lower west side to match the number on the lower east side. (I've heard many people complain about the length of the rows due to limited access ramps)
3. Install chairback seating in the lower bowl of Davis Wade and re-seat the lower bowl per BDC rank. (How many current season ticket holders will get booted, if any, because of the reduction of seats? And, how do you handle that?)
4. Bowl-in the south endzone at least as high as club level and let the center portion of that club level be the new M-Club.
5. Build hotel behind the south endzone with balconies overlooking the field.
6. Build a walking bridge over Hwy 12 at the Russell St. intersection. (If you can walk that far to and from the stadium, your ass can also climb stairs after the game to keep vehicle traffic moving) If needs warrant it, I'd do the same over Blackjack at Stone Blvd.
7. Extend upper deck of Dudy Noble one section down the LF and RF lines for GA-only seating. Angle the extensions to parallel the angled portion of the berms to improve sight lines. (may not be necessary to do this)

The reason I said Step 7 may not be necessary is that I think there is a better way to do it and its all with tickets and tiers. Two things are obvious. 1. The stadium is going to sell out of season tickets every year and many of those people are only going to attend a handful of games. 2. The ticket exchange run by MSU and those on this and other message boards aren't going to cut it. I don't know the price of single game tickets. I bought season GA tickets for the LFL. I THINK I saw one time that SEC GA tickets were $10 and chairbacks were $25 so I'll go with that. What if you added a tier in between those two for $17.50. The $17.50 guarantees you GA seating AND the opportunity to sit in a chairback after 1.5 innings. If the true seat owner shows up after that, you find another empty chairback. You are basically wagering $7.50 that there will be an empty chairback for you and for most games, you'll win. If you win, you just saved $7.50 on a chairback seat. At the same time, the university just made another $7.50. They win too.

Why would you build an M Club in the middle of the South Endzone. That seems pointless

Mjoelner34
07-30-2019, 08:44 PM
Why would you build an M Club in the middle of the South Endzone. That seems pointless

I just figured we could keep it where it is now but modernize it. I've only been there once for some banquet years ago but I know some M-Club members who say its very dated and its so soundproof that you can't even hear the band so they don't watch games from there. It wouldn't be a stand-alone thing. It would just be the center section of a south endzone club level.

crackerjax
07-31-2019, 12:43 AM
Install a distributed sound system at DWS like what you have at Dudy Noble. Current DWS speakers either sound like the teacher from Charlie Brown or split your head open depending on where you sit. Ugh.