PDA

View Full Version : MSU breaking ground on new indoor Tennis Facility

ScoobaDawg
07-29-2019, 04:16 PM
https://hailstate.com/news/2019/7/29/mens-tennis-mississippi-state-athletics-breaking-ground-on-indoor-tennis-facility.aspx

$8mil, right behind the softball complex and football practice fields . Will be finished in spring 2020. (Previously the 4th Football practice field).
The 48,815-square-foot facility will feature six indoor courts, elevated spectator seating, LED lighting and much more

The facility will complement the Pitts Tennis Centre in many ways. In addition to elevated spectator seating and standing room only areas that will accommodate approximately 250 fans, it will also feature a Daktronics scoreboard system and PlaySight live video streaming that will allow fans who are not on-site to follow matches that are played at the Tennis Pavilion.

https://hailstate.com/images/2019/7/26/MSU_tennis_aerial_photo_match_charcoal_ebd.jpg

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 04:17 PM
Can we take the Tennis courts out & make it an indoor practice facility for football?*

In truth, I'm glad we are doing this, but I don't like the location. I think that location should've been earmarked for the football indoor facility. You could've put the tennis indoor somewhere else.

Where do you put the football indoor now?

Bothrops
07-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Can we take the Tennis courts out & make it an indoor practice facility for football?*

In truth, I'm glad we are doing this, but I don't like the location. I think that location should've been earmarked for the football indoor facility. You could've put the tennis indoor somewhere else.

We are going to relocate Chadwick lake to the Junction, and put the indoor football building in it's place, you'll see.

MaroonBelle
07-29-2019, 05:09 PM

Problem is they don't want the coaches office views of fields being blocked by the IPF so you can't use the current turf field or the second grass field. Third field is too far away for convenience. So, turn the two real grass fields 90 degrees. All the fields don't have to run the same direction. Take the field closest to the Football Complex and turn it into indoor field and connect it to the complex by a walkway. I believe that is the end with the weight room, right? Leaves two outdoor fields with a new indoor facility. Make the indoor facility with large roll up doors so that it can be almost completely open to the other fields. Offices will still look out over outdoor turf field and out through the trees.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 05:16 PM
Problem is they don't want the coaches office views of fields being blocked by the IPF so you can't use the current turf field or the second grass field. Third field is too far away for convenience. So, turn the two real grass fields 90 degrees. All the fields don't have to run the same direction. Take the field closest to the Football Complex and turn it into indoor field and connect it to the complex by a walkway. I believe that is the end with the weight room, right? Leaves two outdoor fields with a new indoor facility. Make the indoor facility with large roll up doors so that it can be almost completely open to the other fields. Offices will still look out over outdoor turf field and out through the trees.

Yup. That'll work. Great idea

Thanks!

MaroonBelle
07-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Thanks!

This also has the added advantage of privacy for practice. The IPF will shield the other outdoor fields from prying eyes.

MaroonBelle
07-29-2019, 05:53 PM

Thanks!

Actually, I think something like the design of South Alabama's new facility would work except with the roll up doors on two sides where they have open air (to face our fields) and enclosed on the other side and end. Probably look very similar to Florida's indoor facility.

http://blog.sportsturf.net/the-university-of-south-alabamas-state-of-the-art-practice-facility-is-complete

msbulldog
07-29-2019, 06:18 PM

Put a inflated structure like the Saints have over the artificial turf practice field, convenient and won't cost as much can be done immediately!

MedDawg
07-29-2019, 09:22 PM

I assume the football indoor building will be on top of the current main practice field and attached to/built onto the current football facility. Thing is, part the new indoor facility of would likely extend to be on top part of the 2nd practice field. I thought we could move the 2nd and 3rd fields down a bit, but now the tennis facility would be in the way of that. Of course, if the new indoor facility was to barely go past the edges of the main practice field then it would fit, but that wouldn't make for a premium indoor facility.

state66
07-29-2019, 09:45 PM
Move the track and field complex and put the indoor facility there. That way there is ample room and you can do it right with all the bells and whistles. Track and Field doesn't have to be there, they can be anywhere. Add’s cost demolishing and rebuilding a track and field complex but football drives the revenue here.

Homedawg
07-29-2019, 10:21 PM
Move the track and field complex and put the indoor facility there. That way there is ample room and you can do it right with all the bells and whistles. Track and Field doesn't have to be there, they can be anywhere. Add’s cost demolishing and rebuilding a track and field complex but football drives the revenue here.

We aren't moving the track, it has to go somewhere and it wasn't free. We have room to do a ipf. Not a huge priority anyway.

Lord McBuckethead
07-29-2019, 10:28 PM
We aren't moving the track, it has to go somewhere and it wasn't free. We have room to do a ipf. Not a huge priority anyway.

I will let you guys know when I start designing the iPF.

Homedawg
07-29-2019, 10:44 PM
I will let you guys know when I start designing the iPF.

I feel better now....

ScoobaDawg
07-29-2019, 11:44 PM

The BEST solution is this... Put the Football IPF in between the weight room and the track and field stands. It will be a tight fit and might have to knock down a row or two of the stands.. but it should fit. You can have big doors entering into one side of the ipdf from the weight room and then open doors in the end zone for air flow. It doesn't block the view to practice field from the coaches offices and you don't lose the 3rd field or make them go alternating directions.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/527/773/8773527.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Bothrops
07-30-2019, 12:27 AM
The BEST solution is this... Put the Football IPF in between the weight room and the track and field stands. It will be a tight fit and might have to knock down a row or two of the stands.. but it should fit. You can have big doors entering into one side of the ipdf from the weight room and then open doors in the end zone for air flow. It doesn't block the view to practice field from the coaches offices and you don't lose the 3rd field or make them go alternating directions.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/527/773/8773527.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

They will need a lot more room than that. I figure it will go where the two practice fields are located. It will be more than just an indoor practice building, it will have to have the latest bells and whistles to go along.

ScoobaDawg
07-30-2019, 09:05 AM
They will need a lot more room than that. I figure it will go where the two practice fields are located. It will be more than just an indoor practice building, it will have to have the latest bells and whistles to go along.

What more do they need? they have the coaches offices, the weight room, the BRAND new players locker rooms that are being done right now... and no we aren't getting ride of 2 practice fields and only being left with one...

MaroonBelle
07-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Looking at the area from overhead: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mississippi+State+University/@33.4639965,-88.7952233,502m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x7bf1424f3500722b!8m2 !3d33.4551742!4d-88.7943766

It doesn't look like there is enough space there (when you consider the larger footprint of the Dude now) but there would be for an indoor baseball field (without all the outfield). So tear down the Palmeiro, put the IPF up for football in its place while simultaneously building one for baseball on your suggested place and name it Palmeiro. There! Nailed it!

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 09:50 AM
What if we just built the new IPF on top of the current football parking lot & then put the parking lot underneath the facility like we did the basketball practice facility?

https://i.imgur.com/gxsLtf0.jpg

MaroonBelle
07-30-2019, 09:56 AM
What if we just built the new IPF on top of the current football parking lot & then put the parking lot underneath the facility like we did the basketball practice facility?

I don't think it would be very attractive to drive up to the complex looking at the IPF. It would completely block the entrance to the Seal. You don't spend that much money on a building and then not have it seen.

MedDawg
07-30-2019, 09:59 AM
What more do they need? they have the coaches offices, the weight room, the BRAND new players locker rooms that are being done right now... and no we aren't getting ride of 2 practice fields and only being left with one...

Exactly. Build the IPF over the #1 practice field and onto the current Seal Football Complex and let the Seal Football Complex be the bells and whistles. If you need more rooms for amenities, you can extend The IPF around the far side of the football complex into that round parking lot. Then you can stop the other side of IPF at the edge of the #1 practice field and still have the other two practice fields.

MaroonBelle
07-30-2019, 10:01 AM
They are never going to have the Head coach's office staring into an indoor practice facility. Nor should they. "Welcome to my office, prospect and family, enjoy my view of the indoor practice facility. I actually have no idea what is happening on the other two fields because, well, I can't see them from here and I have to walk through the indoor facility to get to them."

ScoobaDawg
07-30-2019, 11:56 AM
Looking at the area from overhead: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mississippi+State+University/@33.4639965,-88.7952233,502m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x7bf1424f3500722b!8m2 !3d33.4551742!4d-88.7943766

It doesn't look like there is enough space there (when you consider the larger footprint of the Dude now) but there would be for an indoor baseball field (without all the outfield). So tear down the Palmeiro, put the IPF up for football in its place while simultaneously building one for baseball on your suggested place and name it Palmeiro. There! Nailed it!

I can't promise it would fit.. but I would never suggest something without "measuring" the best i could from the angles available from the pics available.
Would need to likely lose half the track grandstand, more likely the whole thing. Which another tight fit.. move the track grandstands to the "east" side" of the track.

Actually I like that idea even more. Move track grandstand. IPF goes in this slot. you can now have garage doors opening towards the track..and you open up and add garage doors to the weight room.
The Left field lofts are further up the hill and would not be in the way.

The drawing is a sketch roughly the size of the Palmeiro center

https://i.ibb.co/kXVY4p0/ipf-idea.jpg

BuckyIsAB****
07-30-2019, 05:55 PM

I had heard the plan was to build it over the turf practice field.