PDA

View Full Version : OT - Weed Legalization in Mississippi

Lord McBuckethead
07-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Alright. Here it is guys. The easy, simple, single page legislation.

Allow for the sale of weed to people over 21.
Taxes are assessed on the amount of weed sold, just like tobacco or alcohol.
Taxes go directly into an education fund for K-12 divided equally across all counties in the state.
All counties have to consolidated into one school district per county.

Pros
So, counties cut administrators and office cost in education by combining city and county districts.
They get a pile of money each year from the state on the Pot education tax.
This would have a huge impact on the smaller counties that have a harder time raising funds for education.

Please convince me that this couldn't or shouldn't pass.

Dolphus Raymond
07-29-2019, 04:16 PM
I concur 100%.

Johnson85
07-29-2019, 04:24 PM

Taxes go directly into an education fund for K-12 divided equally across all counties in the state.

Pros
So, counties cut administrators and office cost in education by combining city and county districts.
This would have a huge impact on the smaller counties that have a harder time raising funds for education.

You want to take Clinton, who has managed to have effective public schools, and basically give control over that school district to the city of Jackson, who has not managed to have effective public schools to put it charitably. Not sure if clinton public schools would survive Jackson style leadership. I assume they would not. Not sure how many, if any, good school districts might result from the plan, but I'm not sure we have enough solid public school districts that we should be destroying any of them.

INstead of mandating consolidation into county sized districts, maybe just go through the school districts individually, and don't require any decent school districts to consolidate with dysfunctional school districts unless the population of the decent school district dwarfs that of the dysfunctional one.

Lord McBuckethead
07-29-2019, 04:31 PM
That may be a good point. The Jackson area could be an outlier based on the rules stated, but it doesn't make the fact that it is absurd to over administrate school districts in counties.

Lord McBuckethead
07-29-2019, 04:32 PM
More important thing, since they are now using the dang lotto to fund bridges and such instead of strictly education..... we need to do something.

I have no idea how the lotto thing passed without 50% of the proceeds going straight to education funding.

1bigdawg
07-29-2019, 05:19 PM
More important thing, since they are now using the dang lotto to fund bridges and such instead of strictly education..... we need to do something.

I have no idea how the lotto thing passed without 50% of the proceeds going straight to education funding.

The legislation needs to say they are not going to take currentfunds away from education. The way it has worked in many states, all the funds (or a fixed %) from a lottery go straight to education, but the legislature pulls the previous funds so that there is little or no additional education funds.

MaroonFlounder
07-29-2019, 07:39 PM

Pros

So...teacher pay raises, or not. If it doesn't get us off the bottom of the National pay scale for educators, the legislation is worthless

Lord McBuckethead
07-29-2019, 08:12 PM
The legislation needs to say they are not going to take currentfunds away from education. The way it has worked in many states, all the funds (or a fixed %) from a lottery go straight to education, but the legislature pulls the previous funds so that there is little or no additional education funds.

I agree. But isn't all school funding from local revenue currently?

Coach34
07-29-2019, 08:44 PM
I agree. But isn't all school funding from local revenue currently?

No- not at all

Coach007
07-29-2019, 09:04 PM
So we allow a political topic on weed but not on false claims of racism and Trump????

PERSONALLY we should allow all of it...

I have a family member on a weed pill to stimulate appetite. Is this medical or happy hour??

Jack Lambert
07-29-2019, 09:28 PM
How about we just legalize it and tax the shit out of it and leave the schools alone. The schools that are ****ed up will all ways be ****ed up because anything you do to fix the school the politicians who are trying to fix will be label a racist. JPS should have been taking over by the state years ago. The capital city is shit because no one wants to move there. The politicians are corrupt, the road are horrible, business have run away and the schools suck. But don't try to fix it. You be a racist when color has nothing to do with it. Jackson just plain sucks. I know I have to drive through there every day praying I don't need a wind shield or a front end alignment by the time I get home. "Did I mention you can get shot?"

Then after you pass it then put in very harsh penalties that has to be served if you get caught given or selling it with out the license. That includes both legally grown weed and illegally grown weed.

I am just sick and tired of hearing about it from pot heads who want to **** their lives. I say let them and help the state government keep the budget balanced.

Edited to add that if you get in a car accident and you are high the person you hit gets a free pass to give you a "I told you so you" ass kicking on the spot.

Lord McBuckethead
07-29-2019, 10:32 PM
Same as alcohol I would imagine. Except just earmark all the money to go to schools.

Lord McBuckethead
07-29-2019, 10:36 PM
No- not at all

Sorry, I was thinking more about their facilities not teachers salaries, etc. 2.2 billion last year per MDEd

msstatelp1
07-30-2019, 07:13 AM
It'll never happen anyway. We keep electing backward ass politicians that won't do anything to get us off the bottom of the heap. Do you remember how hard they fought against the proposition that would have required them to fund schools at 100% each year?

Lord McBuckethead
07-30-2019, 06:02 PM
It'll never happen anyway. We keep electing backward ass politicians that won't do anything to get us off the bottom of the heap. Do you remember how hard they fought against the proposition that would have required them to fund schools at 100% each year?

Yeah, that was an embarrassment of epic proportions. The requirement would have demanded radical changes that have been overdue wince the 70s.

bobcat91
07-31-2019, 12:44 AM

And that sounds great until you see how much taxes have to be raised to get there. A huge problem in the stste is actually districts who refuse to raise the mills to the maximum. Carroll county is a perfect example. They refuse to raise it anywhere near to max for two reasons. One, they dont give a damn about public education and two most of the board sends their kids to Carroll Academy. So the schools are outdated and buses ancient. Yet under this the tax payers are forced to fund a school that the locals will not. Fix local funding before you ask for my money. Because again, it's my damn money.

ScoobaDawg
09-10-2019, 07:54 PM
My sticking point with weed is it should only be consumed in private of designated areas (NOT OUTSIDE). I don't want to smell it and don't tell me just stay away from it. It's different than cigarettes.
I think we should embrace the potential medical benefits though for pain management and other things.

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2019, 07:37 AM
My sticking point with weed is it should only be consumed in private of designated areas (NOT OUTSIDE). I don't want to smell it and don't tell me just stay away from it. It's different than cigarettes.
I think we should embrace the potential medical benefits though for pain management and other things.

If you are referring to walking around on the streets or in restaurants - then I agree with you. If you are saying I can't blaze in my backyard by my fire pit and listen to the Allmans - then you are absolutely wrong. You ain't interfering with my sojourn with the Brothers, that's un-American.

Prediction? Pain.
09-13-2019, 08:28 AM
You ain't interfering with my sojourn with the Brothers . . . .

You're a shining beacon of freedom and patriotism, Brunswick. That's bumper-sticker, gravestone material right there.

Speaking of, you heard the new Fillmore West '71 4-disc set? You can stream the whole thing on YouTube ad-free right now. Good God, man, it's all I hoped it would be. A couple of audio-quality hiccups here and there but nothing major. Plus, there's an epic 45-minute "Mountain Jam" from March '70 that's a "bonus" track of sorts. Earliest version I've ever heard.

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2019, 08:52 AM
You're a shining beacon of freedom and patriotism, Brunswick. That's bumper-sticker, gravestone material right there.

Speaking of, you heard the new Fillmore West '71 4-disc set? You can stream the whole thing on YouTube ad-free right now. Good God, man, it's all I hoped it would be. A couple of audio-quality hiccups here and there but nothing major. Plus, there's an epic 45-minute "Mountain Jam" from March '70 that's a "bonus" track of sorts. Earliest version I've ever heard.

I knew it was out but I didn't know you could stream it on youtube right now. Guess I have my soundtrack for tonights sojourn LOL!

Mountain Jam - my wife and sister still joke about that song. My BIL and I took them to a show at the GA International Horse Park one summer in the late 90s (may have been Labor Day weekend??). It was hot as balls and my sister got way into her cups and passes out. She swears that they were playing Mountain Jam when she passed out, and were still playing it 2 hours later when she woke up. My wife says its the only song they played that night. I can neither confirm nor deny because, well, there may or may not have been an ABB symbol ingested pre-show that made everything magical and I just can't recall.

Dolphus Raymond
09-13-2019, 09:02 AM

Vape does not have an odor. Or so I am told.

ScoobaDawg
09-16-2019, 10:40 PM
Vape does not have an odor. Or so I am told.

That's incorrect... I've been around enough of them at bars or concerts. It's very distinctive.. Plus you have all of the concern over vaps right now. No thanks