PDA

View Full Version : Why Aren't College Training Camps Open to TV & Fans?

ShotgunDawg
07-28-2019, 10:16 AM
The NFL training camps started this week & you can see TV & fans at all the practices. Why hasn't this expanded to college football?

We complain about attendance but we offer virtually no carrots to get the fans excited & build things up. People are starving for football right now, yet there is no product. Why?

If I were the Commish of the SEC & defacto head of the SEC Network, I'd increase viewership by a significant amount, which would lead to more money in time.

- I tell schools who they are bringing to SEC Media day rather than the other way around.

- I would open August training camp to be televised on the SEC Network & also be open to fans. Each of the 14 SEC schools gets 2 hours of practice on the Network per week.

- I'd start a Hard Knocks version of SEC football to be played on the SEC Network.

These changes would take up about 30 hours per week on the SEC Network in the 5:00 - 9:00 time slots.

Dawg61
07-28-2019, 12:03 PM
You'd get fired in an hour

BuckyIsAB****
07-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Out of touch

Todd4State
07-28-2019, 07:45 PM
I think Alabama fans can see some of their practices if I'm not mistaken.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Haven't really seen an answer here.

Why aren't SEC training camps on TV?

Better yet, why is everyone trying to do a Spring Football league when running a football league from July 1st - Labor Day weekend would be much more consumed?

People want football right now, but there is no product. The scarce supply of football is possibly the only product that is not provided in America. That and Uranium

MrKotter
07-29-2019, 07:54 AM
?We complain about attendance but we offer virtually no carrots to get the fans excited & build things up.?

You think putting practices on TV would help get more people through the gates on game day? So much being available on TV is hurting attendance

As for your original question, you likely aren?t going to get the answer you?re after here. All you will get is speculation

fader2103
07-29-2019, 08:00 AM
I agree with you Shotgun on everything except telling schools who they bring to SEC media days.

Of course the media is going to get controversial figures to attend Media Day. Most the time coaches choose a captain or someone who has worked the hardest all off season.

BrunswickDawg
07-29-2019, 08:31 AM

Better yet, why is everyone trying to do a Spring Football league when running a football league from July 1st - Labor Day weekend would be much more consumed?

People want football right now, but there is no product. The scarce supply of football is possibly the only product that is not provided in America. That and Uranium

The answer to your question is that it is boring AF to watch practice. Seriously. You really want to watch something even worse than the spring game? When you factor in the cost associated with broadcasting it, it would be a huge money loser for the SECN. If your choice as a network is to have no one watch something that costs money, or show a re-run of a game that costs you nothing, you will show the re-run.

Now, what I've always thought the SECN should do is have a beat reporter assigned to each school. They should file a daily report on sports activities at the school and they could run a 10:00 PM (EST) "SEC SportsCenter". SEC Now just doesn't really do it - it always seems to just be a highlight show or run "special feature" items. That would be a a lot better than showing Bama practice for 2 weeks in August.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 08:34 AM
The answer to your question is that it is boring AF to watch practice. Seriously. You really want to watch something even worse than the spring game? When you factor in the cost associated with broadcasting it, it would be a huge money loser for the SECN. If your choice as a network is to have no one watch something that costs money, or show a re-run of a game that costs you nothing, you will show the re-run.

Now, what I've always thought the SECN should do is have a beat reporter assigned to each school. They should file a daily report on sports activities at the school and they could run a 10:00 PM (EST) "SEC SportsCenter". SEC Now just doesn't really do it - it always seems to just be a highlight show or run "special feature" items. That would be a a lot better than showing Bama practice for 2 weeks in August.

- Watching practice is boring, but everyone of us would be eating it up. There is a real market for it this time of year regardless of how boring it is. And it wouldn't really cost much money but get far better ratings than another re-run of SEC Now.

- For the 2nd part of your post, I agree

coachnorm
07-29-2019, 09:59 AM
It depends on the school and its circumstances. Security can be an issue in the case of USC in Los Angeles? 5 and 6 story buildings are almost bordering the practice field therefore an unobstructed sight line is available to many. A brilliant opposition supporter could probably stream USC practice from their dorm with a tiny camera? Under Pete Carroll, all USC practices were open to the public because Pete knew that many would not have a personal experience with the program because of lack of money etc. Because of the open practices, agents and affiliates would access the team and some USC coaches were nearly arrested for assault of a predator in the practice area? Last time I was at a 7 on 7 event at USC I looked at all the windows facing the practice field with unobstructed view and it was flat out crazy. Thought I would share this with fellow Elite Doggers.

Gutter Cobreh
07-29-2019, 10:02 AM
- Watching practice is boring, but everyone of us would be eating it up. There is a real market for it this time of year regardless of how boring it is. And it wouldn't really cost much money but get far better ratings than another re-run of SEC Now.

- For the 2nd part of your post, I agree

Just because you don't seem to accept Brunswick's answer doesn't mean that he is incorrect. The economic side drives this question. Also, how many additional fans is the SEC going to pick up by televising practices? You'll end up with an oversaturation of product while losing money at the same time, with no net gain in anyone watching the network.

The real question is why the alternate channel is never used to actually televise games that have meaning??? I'd answer that question first.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 10:24 AM
Just because you don't seem to accept Brunswick's answer doesn't mean that he is incorrect. The economic side drives this question. Also, how many additional fans is the SEC going to pick up by televising practices? You'll end up with an oversaturation of product while losing money at the same time, with no net gain in anyone watching the network.

The real question is why the alternate channel is never used to actually televise games that have meaning??? I'd answer that question first.

I know I would don't watch the SEC Network this time of year but would if MSU were practicing on it.

So that's 1 additional viewer they're get.

fader2103
07-29-2019, 10:34 AM
I think the best way to do it is change the format of the SEC Now structure. Instead of hiring "beat reporters", my understanding is every school has a student program devoted to recording games. Which could be the gateway to these segments. I don't think having 1 team Hard Knocks program would be good for the SEC Network because we all know the first season would be Bama followed by either UGA, LSU, UGA, Florida. It would take 7-10 years before it hits Starkville.
Also I don't know how much viewership it takes to make a show/network profitable, but I know its not 1 additional viewer.

BuckyIsAB****
07-29-2019, 01:55 PM

Here's an answer. Its an enormous distraction and not worth it. I might would be ok with opening up practices to fans, but not every day like they are in the NFL. Fall camp in HS and CFB is way more important than training camp in the NFL. You get 4 games to play in the preseason in the NFL. You get 1 for HS (a half) and none in CFB. No use in playing your cards when you dont have to. Opening it up for the media will ruin that. It would turn into Last Chance U and that is a curse

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 01:59 PM
Here's an answer. Its an enormous distraction and not worth it. I might would be ok with opening up practices to fans, but not every day like they are in the NFL. Fall camp in HS and CFB is way more important than training camp in the NFL. You get 4 games to play in the preseason in the NFL. You get 1 for HS (a half) and none in CFB. No use in playing your cards when you dont have to. Opening it up for the media will ruin that. It would turn into Last Chance U and that is a curse

I completely understand coaches not wanting it, but it shouldn't be up to them. If it makes money & brings more entertainment, then there is very little downside

BuckyIsAB****
07-29-2019, 02:01 PM
I completely understand coaches not wanting it, but it shouldn't be up to them. If it makes money & brings more entertainment, then there is very little downside

I guess thats how a fan could look at it but coaches matter a lot more to our program than entertainment and money off of showing practice. The cons outweigh the pros by a ton. It aint happening and it shouldnt. Part of the fun of CFB is waiting on it like Christmas. August 24 will be here before you know it

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 02:04 PM
I guess thats how a fan could look at it but coaches matter a lot more to our program than entertainment and money off of showing practice. The cons outweigh the pros by a ton. It aint happening and it shouldnt. Part of the fun of CFB is waiting on it like Christmas. August 24 will be here before you know it

But why shouldn't it happen? You haven't offered a reason.

Are people against making more money?

And I disagree about coaches. I don't think they are in any way more important the promotion & growth of SEC football. They just do a job for usually a short period of time

BuckyIsAB****
07-29-2019, 02:06 PM
But why shouldn't it happen? You haven't offered a reason.

Are people against making more money?

And I disagree about coaches. I don't think they are in any way more important the promotion & growth of SEC football. They just do a job for usually a short period of time

I just told you why it shouldnt happen. If the HC doesnt want it its not happening. No good AD would directly go against what his HC thinks is good for the program. We have more money than we have ever had. We dont need to sacrifice the good of fall camp for the TV money of practice. And when we practice is usually during the time most folks are at work so down goes your ratings

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 02:10 PM
I just told you why it shouldnt happen. If the HC doesnt want it its not happening. No good AD would directly go against what his HC thinks is good for the program. We have more money than we have ever had. We dont need to sacrifice the good of fall camp for the TV money of practice. And when we practice is usually during the time most folks are at work so down goes your ratings

1. Why would practices being on TV be bad for the program? Coaches are control freaks, they're irrelevant to me in this.
2. How would practices being on TV sacrifice the good of Fall camp? Please provide a reason

BuckyIsAB****
07-29-2019, 02:15 PM
1. Why would practices being on TV be bad for the program? Coaches are control freaks, they're irrelevant to me in this.
2. How would practices being on TV sacrifice the good of Fall camp? Please provide a reason

Because you show the entire world who your starters are and what you are planning on doing with them. You show them how you plan on using your freshmen, you show them your rotations at DL, you show them how you are going to line up on defense, how you are going to line up on special teams, you give away your blitzes, your adjustment to motions, all of your packages and possibly even some of your signals. And if you have a position battle God forbid at QB it will be the talk and attention of the country and that aint worth it.

You dont have to worry about most of that in the NFL bc mostly everyone is doing the same stuff and there is no signaling its all done thru the helmets. Theres a solid list of actual football reasons why you shouldnt do it.

gtowndawg
07-29-2019, 02:16 PM
I for one would be more engaged if they followed camp like the NFL. Last week I got into my yearly habit of starting my day off with the NFL network purely for this reason (they have people at different training camps every morning). It just makes me feel like it's football time. Heck, this morning they showed Raider lineman throwing medicine balls to each other for nearly 15 minutes and you know what, I watched every minute of it!

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Because you show the entire world who your starters are and what you are planning on doing with them. You show them how you plan on using your freshmen, you show them your rotations at DL, you show them how you are going to line up on defense, how you are going to line up on special teams, you give away your blitzes, your adjustment to motions, all of your packages and possibly even some of your signals. And if you have a position battle God forbid at QB it will be the talk and attention of the country and that aint worth it.

You dont have to worry about most of that in the NFL bc mostly everyone is doing the same stuff and there is no signaling its all done thru the helmets. Theres a solid list of actual football reasons why you shouldnt do it.

But they all know that after the first game when they watch film and, if the entire SEC is doing it, who cares?

Is see you point, but just don't think it's a big deal at all.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2019, 02:21 PM
I for one would be more engaged if they followed camp like the NFL. Last week I got into my yearly habit of starting my day off with the NFL network purely for this reason (they have people at different training camps every morning). It just makes me feel like it's football time. Heck, this morning they showed Raider lineman throwing medicine balls to each other for nearly 15 minutes and you know what, I watched every minute of it!

Absolutely 100%

The SEC Network is leaving sooooo much money on the table for no reason. It's absurd.

BuckyIsAB****
07-29-2019, 02:22 PM
But they all know that after the first game when they watch film and, if the entire SEC is doing it, who cares?

Is see you point, but just don't think it's a big deal at all.

Probably because you dont have to deal with any of it. They dont know all of that in the first game because you may not see all of what you can show yourself in practice. You can directly control it in practice. You cant in a game. Its a huge deal

Percho
07-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Saban would hire 12 more office coaches to look at everyone's practices.

StarkVegasSteve
07-29-2019, 07:00 PM
I really don't know how many more people would watch. Maybe 5% of your fanbase. Now if SEC Network traveled around for two weeks and maybe did one day at each school. Kind of like an all access during primetime where you could coordinate with the staffs to have that practice from 6-8 I think it could have a pretty good audience. Almost set it up like you would a spring game from a broadcast point. But there's not many that just going to sit and watch practice for hours on end every day.

Now I do think if SEC Network did something like Hard Knocks then people would definitely tune in. I've honestly been shocked there hasn't been a college program do something like that and partner with a major TV network. I know ESPN did something like that with Bama last year, but it felt extremely watered down.

Goldendawg
07-29-2019, 07:08 PM
Maybe you former coaches or other 5%ers would watch but not me. This seems more boring than spring games have become. The "bama network", I mean SEC Network is a disappointment as it is. Just more air time for bama if you show practices.

Lord McBuckethead
07-30-2019, 08:12 AM
I know I would don't watch the SEC Network this time of year but would if MSU were practicing on it.

So that's 1 additional viewer they're get.

Bingo. Its not like they have tons of awesome coverage during this time of year. When was the last time anyone on here actually watched SEC network? I may have seen 10 minutes since baseball ended. If MSU fall practice was on for a couple of hours, I would like to see how the QBs are performing.

BuckyIsAB****
07-30-2019, 05:18 PM
I really don't know how many more people would watch. Maybe 5% of your fanbase. Now if SEC Network traveled around for two weeks and maybe did one day at each school. Kind of like an all access during primetime where you could coordinate with the staffs to have that practice from 6-8 I think it could have a pretty good audience. Almost set it up like you would a spring game from a broadcast point. But there's not many that just going to sit and watch practice for hours on end every day.

Now I do think if SEC Network did something like Hard Knocks then people would definitely tune in. I've honestly been shocked there hasn't been a college program do something like that and partner with a major TV network. I know ESPN did something like that with Bama last year, but it felt extremely watered down.

Notre Dame has their own show I believe that comes on in the offseason but it is nothing like Last Chance U. You see the results Last Chance U has brought the teams that allowed it. Scooba Tech won the natty the 2 years before they got the show, didnt make it in the 2 years they had it and won it both years since it left. Independence didnt win it either year and tanked last year.

That is why you should never let cameras follow you around inside your program. Its a distraction and a lot of kids will show out to get internet famous.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2019, 05:29 PM
Notre Dame has their own show I believe that comes on in the offseason but it is nothing like Last Chance U. You see the results Last Chance U has brought the teams that allowed it. Scooba Tech won the natty the 2 years before they got the show, didnt make it in the 2 years they had it and won it both years since it left. Independence didnt win it either year and tanked last year.

That is why you should never let cameras follow you around inside your program. Its a distraction and a lot of kids will show out to get internet famous.

Meh. If it's a recorded show, the editing matters. If it's live practice, nobody is going to do anything stupid.

BuckyIsAB****
07-30-2019, 05:44 PM
Meh. If it's a recorded show, the editing matters. If it's live practice, nobody is going to do anything stupid.

This shows how much you have experienced dealing with young kids. Im not insulting you Im just saying. They will. They know they are going straight on twitter and instagram for it too.