PDA

View Full Version : Talked to a Conference USA Football ref in the gym today.

Jack Lambert
07-27-2019, 09:20 PM
He is from Miss and he played sports at a SEC school not in Miss. He feel me in on some good stuff.

1. There is a list of 10 coaches that the NCAA has listed that only one Ref on the field can talk to them and that is the white hat. Yes Saban is one of them. He said watch him he can scream and say what ever he wants at the Ref and that ref cannot do or say anything about it.

2. Every ref has his zone that he is responsible and you absolutely cannot throw a flag out side your zone. He said what they do to help each other out is throw the flag if they see something in another zone, they all are mic up and what you do is talk to the guy who is in that zone to throw the flag and then they gather to talk about it to let him know what you saw. Then you pick your flag up like you made a mistake. He also said the good coaches make you tell him what you thought you saw so you better be ready.

3. I asked him would he get to call the USM vs MSU game and he said absolutely not. C-USA will not let you call a game that involves a school from the State you live. He cannot call any Mississippi school. He also cannot call a game that involves the school he played sports.

4. He also said they have to watch game film of the teams they are officiating. They have to be familiar with their plays and what situation they are going to run those plays. They also have to know the tendencies of the guys who will be playing in their zone. He said many times they know what play is going to be run on the next down.

5. When he travels the sheriff departments pick him up. They run a back ground on you to see if you have been arrested since the last game. They do a blood test to make sure you are clean of drugs or alcohol. They take his phone and all electronics away. You get it back when the sheriff picks you up when you get back home. All you have is a NCAA lap top with game film so you can study the two teams. When he gets to where he is going another sheriff picks him up and takes him to the hotel. He is only allowed a back pack with few clothes. They take your clothes away and check for recording devices. They also put in a room with the TV disconnected and the lights go out early in the evening.

6. One of the perks is his NCAA official card. He can get into any NCAA game free and stand on side line usually back of End Zone.

He said it is his goal and everyone else goal is to get into the SEC. He goes to every clinic can to rub elbow.

Bdawg
07-27-2019, 09:29 PM
Didn't the Bama MSU game have a guy with Bama ties reffing it? Made some bad calls too if I'm not mistaken.

ShotgunDawg
07-27-2019, 09:33 PM
I like the conference USA rule of not being able to call a game involving a school from the state you live in.

I think that is a huge issue for refs that live in Alabama. Even if they have no tie to the Alabama schools, there is pressure to make calls in their favor due to knowing that friends & possibly bosses are fans of those teams.

Jack Lambert
07-27-2019, 09:35 PM
Didn't the Bama MSU game have a guy with Bama ties reffing it? Made some bad calls too if I'm not mistaken.

C-USA rule. He did say that with sports betting being legal in so many states the NCAA is going to crack down.

maroonmania
07-27-2019, 09:44 PM

His Father played QB at Bama but since he didn't actually attend Bama, only grew up a fan his entire life, he's golden to call Bama games. And he's been a part of the crew that's called the Bama-MSU game the past 2 seasons and his call to allow Ridley to basically score a 70+ yard TD on an illegal play that he signaled as illegal at the time the play occurred in the 2017 game was absolutely the difference in that game. Its a freakin' joke.

TUSK
07-28-2019, 12:03 AM
Wha.

Bdawg
07-28-2019, 02:55 PM
His Father played QB at Bama but since he didn't actually attend Bama, only grew up a fan his entire life, he's golden to call Bama games. And he's been a part of the crew that's called the Bama-MSU game the past 2 seasons and his call to allow Ridley to basically score a 70+ yard TD on an illegal play that he signaled as illegal at the time the play occurred in the 2017 game was absolutely the difference in that game. Its a freakin' joke.

Yeah that call was just horrible

bulldawg28
07-28-2019, 03:37 PM

He was suspended afterwards

Lord McBuckethead
07-28-2019, 04:04 PM

Wha.

Yes. You read that correct. 17n cheaters.

maroonmania
07-28-2019, 04:18 PM
He was suspended afterwards

No he wasn't suspended. He got away scott clean because in the 2017 game the run out of bounds by Ridley was away from the ball so the announcers didn't catch it and didn't make an issue of it. In 2018, it was the phantom block in the back call that cost us Hill scoring a TD. THAT one got lots of airplay from the broadcast crew so the SEC, under pressure there, apparently did suspend that ref off of the same crew. But the guy who blew that call was a different Bammer lover I guess (not the one from the crew that is the son of the former Bama QB). And of course none of that even includes the Bammer fumble we recovered last year that was incorrectly called a no fumble and wasn't even allowed to be reviewed. Its seriously to the point where I don't even want to play Bama any more in football. I have no interest in playing any team in any sport where their isn't even an effort by the officiating crew to call the game fairly on the field.

R2Dawg
07-28-2019, 04:38 PM
No he wasn't suspended. He got away scott clean because in the 2017 game the run out of bounds by Ridley was away from the ball so the announcers didn't catch it and didn't make an issue of it. In 2018, it was the phantom block in the back call that cost us Hill scoring a TD. THAT one got lots of airplay from the broadcast crew so the SEC, under pressure there, apparently did suspend that ref off of the same crew. But the guy who blew that call was a different Bammer lover I guess (not the one from the crew that is the son of the former Bama QB). And of course none of that even includes the Bammer fumble we recovered last year that was incorrectly called a no fumble and wasn't even allowed to be reviewed. Its seriously to the point where I don't even want to play Bama any more in football. I have no interest in playing any team in any sport where their isn't even an effort by the officiating crew to call the game fairly on the field.

I am almost where you are on the Bama thing. It is ridiculous. SEC should keep Bama officials from calling their games but being office is in Bamingham, not going to happen. Keep giving to the golden goose all day. Corruption all the way to the top.

bulldawg28
07-28-2019, 04:41 PM

I'm talking about this year after the Bama game and his biased calls.

Hambone
07-28-2019, 05:35 PM
And you are correct, he was suspended the rest of the year.

lastmajordog
07-28-2019, 06:11 PM
And then there was the head shot near the East sideline, obvious, blatant target personal foul that was not called.....the year escapes me but it was a night game in Starkville.

ShotgunDawg
07-28-2019, 06:18 PM
What about the missed call when Alabama fumbled last year on their opening possession?

They didn't eve review it. I still don't understand what happened there.

Jack Lambert
07-28-2019, 07:29 PM
What about the missed call when Alabama fumbled last year on their opening possession?

They didn't eve review it. I still don't understand what happened there.

I kind of blame Moorhead. He should have challenge it. Someone on the staff needed to let him know to challenge it. I guess that is growing pains.

lastmajordog
07-28-2019, 08:38 PM
I kind of blame Moorhead. He should have challenge it. Someone on the staff needed to let him know to challenge it. I guess that is growing pains.

Thanks for remembering that JL.....if I remember correctly that was one of those game the DOGS actually had a chance to win...

Homedawg
07-28-2019, 09:32 PM
Number 3 is wrong. I have a friend who lives here, who is a cusa official and says its wrong. Only thing that rules you out is affiliation w the school... graduate, donor, etc.
As for the rest. A lot of it was way overblown. Not knocking you jack, just that he blew you a lot of smoke. A lot.

Hambone
07-29-2019, 06:27 AM
I agree, Home. There is a referee that lives in senatobia that most definitely calls southern games regularly.

Tbonewannabe
07-29-2019, 07:36 AM
Bama in football and UK in basketball, going into those games you just have to know that the refs are against you. I am still pissed that the refs let John Wall run into the lane and rebound his own free throw before anyone else is allowed to enter the lane. That one play cost us a SEC tourney Championship. The crazy thing is that it almost takes the refs on your side to beat them straight up but with the refs always on their side then they are almost guaranteed to win every game that the SEC is calling.

99jc
07-29-2019, 10:01 AM

not growing pains hell he should have known better he is the 17ing head coach.

Jack Lambert
07-29-2019, 10:47 AM
not growing pains hell he should have known better he is the 17ing head coach.

No his problem is being the OC and HC. Mullen had the same problem his first year. The game will slow down for him and he will be able to do what he needs to. It was growing pains. Now if he was only the HC then he probably would have challenge it.

Jack Lambert
07-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Number 3 is wrong. I have a friend who lives here, who is a cusa official and says its wrong. Only thing that rules you out is affiliation w the school... graduate, donor, etc.
As for the rest. A lot of it was way overblown. Not knocking you jack, just that he blew you a lot of smoke. A lot.

I am just going by what he said and maybe it's a new rule going forwards.

Tbonewannabe
07-29-2019, 10:55 AM
No his problem is being the OC and HC. Mullen had the same problem his first year. The game will slow down for him and he will be able to do what he needs to. It was growing pains. Now if he was only the HC then he probably would have challenge it.

People conveniently forget that Mullen didn't challenge Lee's pass attempt against Houston that would have probably won the game. It is definitely growing pains for coaches in the SEC especially that hasn't been a head coach in a Power 5 conference before. Even then the SEC is just a different beast.

Homedawg
07-29-2019, 11:11 AM
I am just going by what he said and maybe it's a new rule going forwards.

I wasn't questioning that he told you that. Just that it was bad info.

Homedawg
07-29-2019, 11:12 AM

Mullen didn't ball plays his first year. But he did have lots of input. And then blamed les if it didn't work!! Haha

Jack Lambert
07-29-2019, 11:31 AM
I wasn't questioning that he told you that. Just that it was bad info.

I didn't take it that way. there could be many explanation why the other guy gets to.

Jack Lambert
07-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Mullen didn't ball plays his first year. But he did have lots of input. And then blamed les if it didn't work!! Haha

Either way I think JM will make better in game decisions.

TheLostDawg
07-29-2019, 02:28 PM
Just let Alabama cheat their way to the playoffs a couple more years and lose. They SEC will have to make some changes.