PDA

View Full Version : S&P+ is a believer in our defense

msstate7
07-27-2019, 07:30 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/DZhMCkXP/2631-C390-9-B1-F-4-E8-A-A13-B-E58-F04420-A39.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I think they're too high on our defense, but pretty cool to see us listed that high.

They really like tenn's offense

dantheman4248
07-27-2019, 07:51 AM
DL has always been plug and play for us. I couldn't tell you the last time we had a weak DL. So even though we lose every starter, I'm not worried. We return 3 bigtime LBs for us. Return Dantzler and Smitherman for the outside CBs. Have a lot of talent to replace the two safeties we lost. It makes sense. Dropping from otherworldly level at #1 to back to a normal elite top 7. Makes sense if you look at it as pods of teams. 1-7 come across as interchangeable with this metric.

ShotgunDawg
07-27-2019, 08:48 AM
I'm telling ya, if Tommy Tippy is a level better than Fitz at pushing the ball down the field, this team will be better than last year's.

QB - better
RB - better and better used
WR - Better
OL - equal

DL - worse
LB - better
Secondary - equal

Punter - better
Kicker - equal

msstate7
07-27-2019, 08:59 AM
I'm telling ya, if Tommy Tippy is a level better than Fitz at pushing the ball down the field, this team will be better than last year's.

QB - better
RB - better and better used
WR - Better
OL - equal

DL - worse
LB - better
Secondary - equal

Punter - better
Kicker - equal

I think equal in secondary is to be determined. Abram is a big loss

DL was by far the strength of our team last year and it goes to probably one of the biggest question marks on the whole team. Simmons and sweat were a freakish combo. We won't have that that insane inside/outside combo... how much did those 2 help our back end? Hard to say, but I do think they did

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 09:00 AM
I think our fans forget that other teams lose players too. Or they overvalue the other teams players.

Our season isn't decided on whether our defense is as good as last year's or (probably) not. If we take care of business the first four games and then find a way to beat Auburn we are going to potentially have a special season.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 09:16 AM

DL was by far the strength of our team last year and it goes to probably one of the biggest question marks on the whole team. Simmons and sweat were a freakish combo. We won't have that that insane inside/outside combo... how much did those 2 help our back end? Hard to say, but I do think they did

People forget that Courtney Rivers, Kobe, Spencer, and Adams have been productive when they played. Autry may be a day three pick and is a solid senior at DT. And while we lack experience at DT we have several former four star guys there- Lovett, Pickering, and Crumedy. So there is talent there and they will be flanked by guys with experience.

So while we won't be Sweat and Simmons good we won't fall off the face of the Earth either. And we have the linebackers who we can blitz and use to apply pressure more to take some heat off of the defensive line. We'll see if Shoop does it.
Dan has persistent common sense issues with personnel where he didn't take advantage of our talent or strengths usually to play someone like Zach Jackson or Kivon Coman who was an upperclassman. We'll see if Shoop has better common sense.

bulldawg28
07-27-2019, 09:16 AM

Cole is better than Abrams. Watch how many more game changing plays he makes this year.

ShotgunDawg
07-27-2019, 09:20 AM
Cole is better than Abrams. Watch how many more game changing plays he makes this year.

I'm not sure if he's anywhere close to the same type of tackler or has the instincts, but he is absolutely more explosive

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 09:20 AM

I'm a big believer in Cole too. And Landrews and Morgan were solid last year. I can see Cole getting more INT's than Abram for sure. Not sure about big hits though!

I'm curious to see how much we get out of Marcus Murphy and Jarrion Jones next year as far as our secondary goes. Both could be key reserves.

MetEdDawg
07-27-2019, 09:21 AM
They should be pretty high. We've got somewhere around 8 starters on our defense that are gonna get drafted before they leave MSU. This unit is talented.

I think our fan base is overreacting to the regression. Oh yeah we won't be the best defense. Maybe not Top 30. That's just nuts. We lost 3 guys who were freaking solid. Yes they will be missed and we won't have the defensive line disrupters that Simmons and Sweat were. But we had very talented guys not getting reps because of talented guys in front of them.

Best LB group in the SEC. Secondary improved as a whole and potentially a Top 5 CB in the country in a Dantzler. DL
Won't be as talented but we've got talented youth. Plus Rivers is really good. Gonna help set the edge and contain offenses.

I will be shocked if we aren't a Top 25 defense. And our offense being better will help some too.

99jc
07-27-2019, 10:00 AM

Yeah ...he is better than a 1st rounder..ok

bulldawg28
07-27-2019, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure if he's anywhere close to the same type of tackler or has the instincts, but he is absolutely more explosive

Watch the games before his injury. Abrams wasn't making those explosive plays it was Cole. Cole only played 3 1/4 games and rated 80% defensive grade by pro football focus in 2 of those games. He also had 3 sacks in 3 games along with an interception. Abrams had 3 sacks the entire year after moving to the Star position with 2 interceptions. Cole is a bigger, more athletic, and faster Pig Prather with the ability to cover.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 10:15 AM
They should be pretty high. We've got somewhere around 8 starters on our defense that are gonna get drafted before they leave MSU. This unit is talented.

I think our fan base is overreacting to the regression. Oh yeah we won't be the best defense. Maybe not Top 30. That's just nuts. We lost 3 guys who were freaking solid. Yes they will be missed and we won't have the defensive line disrupters that Simmons and Sweat were. But we had very talented guys not getting reps because of talented guys in front of them.

Best LB group in the SEC. Secondary improved as a whole and potentially a Top 5 CB in the country in a Dantzler. DL
Won't be as talented but we've got talented youth. Plus Rivers is really good. Gonna help set the edge and contain offenses.

I will be shocked if we aren't a Top 25 defense. And our offense being better will help some too.

Our LBs aren't better than Bama's

HoopsDawg
07-27-2019, 10:25 AM
I still have that vision of the walk-on cutting right thru the middle of our defense in the spring game with Autry and Lovett at DT.

Our young DT's have to grow up in a hurry. I really like our back 7 though.

bulldawg28
07-27-2019, 10:27 AM

What? As a group they are. Leo is the only probable. I wouldn't trade Errol or Willie for anybody in the SEC. If Leo ever plays to his potential the group would be the best in the country.

MetEdDawg
07-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Yes they are and I've heard multiple folks that know the SEC say that our LB group is the best LB group in the conference.

We've got 3 insanely good LBs. All 3 get drafted this year if they enter the draft and I would guess they all get drafted day 1 or 2.

And as a matter of fact I've not heard one taking head mention Bama's LB group as being the best. Us or Georgia are the groups people are mentioning.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 10:37 AM
What? As a group they are. Leo is the only probable. I wouldn't trade Errol or Willie for anybody in the SEC. If Leo ever plays to his potential the group would be the best in the country.

Moses is the best lb in the sec. I'll take Jennings, Moses, and Lewis over our guys all day, every day... and I like our guys, but come on mane

HoopsDawg
07-27-2019, 10:38 AM

I wouldn't trade Erroll, Willie or Leo Lewis with any trio in the country when you also consider the experience factor.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 10:42 AM

Here's something to think about. Remember 2014 when we could obviously tell when the 1B defense was in because there was an obvious drop off? Did anyone notice when the back-ups were in on defense last year? I didn't. Most of those guys are back. People can say "yeah- but we're going to miss Cory Thomas"- meh. He was a good player but he's not irreplaceable.

I think Leo could be in for a big year. Especially if we do indeed ask him to blitz even more. I know some people are going to say that they've been "disappointed in his career" but he has been a very solid contributor for us and a starter for most of his career.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Moses is the best lb in the sec. I'll take Jennings, Moses, and Lewis over our guys all day, every day... and I like our guys, but come on mane

You would take someone else's players over our players no matter what the position.

I haven't forgotten how much you pumped up Ta'Amuu.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Walterfootball draft preview has the Jennings, Moses, and Lewis as the top 3 outside lbs for the 2020 draft. Gay at #5

https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020OLB.php

At inside, they list Moses and Jennings over Thompson

https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020ILB.php

msstate7
07-27-2019, 10:47 AM
You would take someone else's players over our players no matter what the position.

I haven't forgotten how much you pumped up Ta'Amuu.

Tell us again how you feel about fitz...

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 10:48 AM
Tell us again how you feel about fitz...

I feel like he was better than Ta'Amuu.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 10:49 AM
I feel like he was better than Ta'Amuu.

And you wouldn't have traded him for tua, I'm sure. Look our LBs are BAs... really good, but bama's are better. There's no shame in that

MetEdDawg
07-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Walterfootball draft preview has the Jennings, Moses, and Lewis as the top 3 outside lbs for the 2020 draft. Gay at #5

https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020OLB.php

At inside, they list Moses and Jennings over Thompson

https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020ILB.php

That's the same guy that had Dre'Mont Jones from Ohio State 4th at DT in his projections for 2019. Ahead of Simmons. Jones went 3rd round and we know where Simmons went.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 10:53 AM
And you wouldn't have traded him for tua, I'm sure. Look our LBs are BAs... really good, but bama's are better. There's no shame in that

I would have traded Fitz for Tua.

I wouldn't trade our LB's for Bama's because it's a push at best and Errol was rated the second highest LB analytically by pro football focus behind only Devin White of LSU who was a first round pick himself. Walter Football is hardly accurate- especially at this point in the year.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 10:54 AM
That's the same guy that had Dre'Mont Jones from Ohio State 4th at DT in his projections for 2019. Ahead of Simmons. Jones went 3rd round and we know where Simmons went.

Pick any mock you want and tell me where they fall. Tell you what.... I'll say 2 of theirs go before one of ours for a permanent ban bet. Moses is a given.

MetEdDawg
07-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Pick any mock you want and tell me where they fall. Tell you what.... I'll say 2 of theirs go before one of ours for a permanent ban bet. Moses is a given.

I guess I don't understand why you want to ban so many people? You do this all the time. You just want the board by yourself? Can you not have a discussion and a little disagreement without taking it to a permanent ban?

I just don't understand why people feel the need to have a dick measuring contest like this on a board with a bunch of people they don't know or haven't met in person.

It's a message board man. You need to take a break.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 11:03 AM
I guess I don't understand why you want to ban so many people? You do this all the time. You just want the board by yourself? Can you not have a discussion and a little disagreement without taking it to a permanent ban?

I just don't understand why people feel the need to have a dick measuring contest like this on a board with a bunch of people they don't know or haven't met in person.

It's a message board man. You need to take a break.

Well give me one

msstate7
07-27-2019, 11:06 AM
To be fair though, it's a sucker bet. Saban only takes prototype nfl LBs. Their measurables alone will get them drafted for the most part. College production would be your best bet to outperform them, but that's hardly a given.

bulldawg28
07-27-2019, 11:11 AM

What makes Moses better than Errol? Jennings stays hurt along with Lewis.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 11:16 AM

Longer and faster.

I think we somewhat hold our own 1-2 on a college field assuming gay progresses like I expect. It's after that that they really separate. They have 3-4 guys as good or better than Leo

bulldawg28
07-27-2019, 11:21 AM
Longer and faster.

I think we somewhat hold our own 1-2 on a college field assuming gay progresses like I expect. It's after that that they really separate. They have 3-4 guys as good or better than Leo

I agree that Leo hasn't played the best in comparison. However, he's been available which the Bama players have not been

Thick
07-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Jury is still out on Leo. He’s not exactly the quickest and doesn’t attack ball carriers like he should (last year). We really need him to be outstanding this year. I’m assuming he will be extremely focused and physical. This is his pro career at stake.

Coach34
07-27-2019, 11:38 AM
We are going to be good on defense. No doubt about it. But we wont be as good at Safety and DT. Nor will we get close to the 39 sacks we amassed in 2018.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 11:42 AM

And again- the analytics at pro football focus say that Moses wasn't better than Errol.

Too much looking at the logo on the jersey for some of these "experts" it appears.

PMDawg
07-27-2019, 11:44 AM
We are going to be good on defense. No doubt about it. But we wont be as good at Safety and DT. Nor will we get close to the 39 sacks we amassed in 2018.

This.

The defense will be good, but we wont be wreaking havoc up front like we were last year. And THAT is what made us the #1 defense. We mauled people at the point of attack all year. We lost our 3 biggest reasons we were able to do that. Again, we will be fine on D, but I just can't see how we dont take a step back.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 11:52 AM
And again- the analytics at pro football focus say that Moses wasn't better than Errol.

Too much looking at the logo on the jersey for some of these "experts" it appears.

I love PFF for nfl, but I'm not so sure about their college ratings. PFF's top 50 on April 1, 2019, had sweat at #46 with aj brown and dk Metcalf top 20

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pffs-top-50-big-board-for-the-2019-nfl-draft?utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=cjaff&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_term=0_ae3f4210bf-1116eae8e4-191315573&cjevent=658d6c26b08e11e980fe02f60a24060d

You agree with them?

Cowbell
07-27-2019, 12:00 PM

Only because of the logo on their jersey. You, like many of our fans, need to realize that the jersey doesn?t make the player. So many just assume their players are better at every position. That?s not at all the case. I will never forget our o-line punishing their d-line in 2017. Punishing. As in physically dominating them in the second half.

NFL teams took Alabama and Clemson players before Simmons and we all know who the best is.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 12:03 PM
Only because of the logo on their jersey. You, like many of our fans, need to realize that the jersey doesn?t make the player. So many just assume their players are better at every position. That?s not at all the case. I will never forget our o-line punishing their d-line in 2017. Punishing. As in physically dominating them in the second half.

NFL teams took Alabama and Clemson players before Simmons and we all know who the best is.

I always wondered why guys like josh Allen (Wyoming) and Carson wentz (ndsu) went top 10. Obviously it was the logo on their helmets.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 12:09 PM
I love PFF for nfl, but I'm not so sure about their college ratings. PFF's top 50 on April 1, 2019, had sweat at #46 with aj brown and dk Metcalf top 20

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pffs-top-50-big-board-for-the-2019-nfl-draft?utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=cjaff&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_term=0_ae3f4210bf-1116eae8e4-191315573&cjevent=658d6c26b08e11e980fe02f60a24060d

You agree with them?

I trust them a lot more than Walter football. Which is who you are going off of.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 12:10 PM
I trust them a lot more than Walter football. Which is who you are going off of.

Pick any mock

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 12:10 PM

The reason why Simmons dropped had nothing to do with his jersey. We all know why.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 12:14 PM
Pick any mock

Pick one that is actually objective and doesn't look at the name of the jersey at this point. All of them are way off at this time and not worth a dime. I'm basing my opinion on actual objective data. Which is a lot less flawed than Bama Network CBS mock draft or Walter Football.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 12:15 PM
The reason why Simmons dropped had nothing to do with his jersey. We all know why.

And he had a serious knee injury

1bigdawg
07-27-2019, 12:21 PM

Your general point may be correct, but this is a bad example. Simmons was injured and won't be able to play for most of the season. How many times has ANY injured player been picked in the first round?

1bigdawg
07-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Pick any mock

No mock draft is an accurate indicator of how good a COLLEGE football player someone is. They are projections of a player's PRO prospects. As you correctly pointed out, some guys have better measurables. That does not make them a better college player.

We can all argue who had the best linebacker group, but pro draft projections and even the pro draft is not indicative of how good a player is in college.

MaroonFlounder
07-27-2019, 12:57 PM
DL has always been plug and play for us.

The 2016 football season called. They say you're full of shit on this statement.

Jack Lambert
07-27-2019, 12:58 PM

I think there are guys who want to be like Abram's on that roster and are going to play like him.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 12:59 PM
No mock draft is an accurate indicator of how good a COLLEGE football player someone is. They are projections of a player's PRO prospects. As you correctly pointed out, some guys have better measurables. That does not make them a better college player.

We can all argue who had the best linebacker group, but pro draft projections and even the pro draft is not indicative of how good a player is in college.

That's true, but Moses is projected 1st team AA this year. He was 2nd team all sec by coaches last year. He's 1st team all sec preseason, along with his team mate (Jennings) and Thompson. When all this lines up with the mock, I think it's pretty clear Moses is the real deal.

1bigdawg
07-27-2019, 01:03 PM
That's true, but Moses is projected 1st team AA this year. He was 2nd team all sec by coaches last year. He's 1st team all sec preseason, along with his team mate (Jennings) and Thompson. When all this lines up with the mock, I think it's pretty clear Moses is the real deal.

I don't necessarily agree with the line above about mock drafts being biased by the logo on the helmet, but I definitely think "all-whatever" teams are.

Having said that, I have not staked out a position on who was better, only that the mock drafts were not a reliable indicator.

msstate7
07-27-2019, 01:10 PM
I don't necessarily agree with the line above about mock drafts being biased by the logo on the helmet, but I definitely think "all-whatever" teams are.

Having said that, I have not staked out a position on who was better, only that the mock drafts were not a reliable indicator.

When deciding who I thought had a better lb core, I pictured both teams' top 3 along a wall and thought in what order would I pic them if I were building a team. My first pick would be Moses. My 2nd/3rd picks would be Thompson/Jennings. 4th/5th would be gay/Lewis. My 6th would be Leo, no doubt. Bc my first pick is Moses and the last is Leo, I think that shifts things in bama's favor

Coach007
07-27-2019, 01:47 PM

Andrews is listed at #8 in the nation safety.

Coach007
07-27-2019, 02:09 PM

I'm not sure what this has to do with MSU having a great defense

msstate7
07-27-2019, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure what this has to do with MSU having a great defense

It doesn't. We can be a damn good defense, and still not be better than Bama at lb

R2Dawg
07-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Maybe Cole has a great year and drafted high but don't think that statement can be made in preseason. Abram was best safety in college last year. Chance of us having the next best safety a year later would be rare. Cole is very good and will not be much drop off. We could have best tandem CB in SEC and country again (Banks Slay, Bean Smoot).

Landrews and Morgan complete a dynamic DB group that as a whole I think is better than last year.

Coach007
07-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Again.. What the HELL does this have to do with MSU have a strong defense?

There were 4 DTs taken before Simmons.. 5 DE before Sweat.. Did that make our defense any less than #1 on the year???

MedDawg
07-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Pick one that is actually objective and doesn't look at the name of the jersey at this point. All of them are way off at this time and not worth a dime. I'm basing my opinion on actual objective data. Which is a lot less flawed than Bama Network CBS mock draft or Walter Football.

(to both of you and others) Keep in mind this is an MSU sports board. Generally we should care a lot more about college production than NFL draft position or even long-term NFL production. I know I do. There might be a guy who produces crazy good for MSU but not drafted as high because the NFL thinks he's too short, etc. So someone who produces more for State is 'better' than a guy who is drafted higher or does better in the NFL but produced less for State.

bulldawg28
07-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Maybe Cole has a great year and drafted high but don't think that statement can be made in preseason. Abram was best safety in college last year. Chance of us having the next best safety a year later would be rare. Cole is very good and will not be much drop off. We could have best tandem CB in SEC and country again (Banks Slay, Bean Smoot).

Landrews and Morgan complete a dynamic DB group that as a whole I think is better than last year.

Meh

Jarius
07-27-2019, 03:00 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/DZhMCkXP/2631-C390-9-B1-F-4-E8-A-A13-B-E58-F04420-A39.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I think they're too high on our defense, but pretty cool to see us listed that high.

They really like tenn's offense

Shocked you would think someone is too high on our team.

Cowbell
07-27-2019, 04:13 PM
Your general point may be correct, but this is a bad example. Simmons was injured and won't be able to play for most of the season. How many times has ANY injured player been picked in the first round?

Hence the reason I put Sweat...

dantheman4248
07-27-2019, 10:55 PM
The 2016 football season called. They say you're full of shit on this statement.

Peter Sirmon was to blame. Not lack of DL talent. AJ Jefferson, Nick James, Jeffrey Simmons, Gerri Green, Nelson Adams, and Johnathan Calvin. Yea this a bad take. Bad record != Bad defensive line == FALSE

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2019, 11:06 PM

If you put Bamas LBs on our defense they wouldnt be nearly as good. And vice versa. I do think Erroll and Willie can go toe to toe with them. Willie is the most athletic LB State has ever had. He could easily play S or CB. He is long enough and fast enough

MaroonFlounder
07-28-2019, 12:51 PM
Peter Sirmon was to blame. Not lack of DL talent. AJ Jefferson, Nick James, Jeffrey Simmons, Gerri Green, Nelson Adams, and Johnathan Calvin. Yea this a bad take. Bad record != Bad defensive line == FALSE

Plug and play implies you just put them in there and let them go. Arkansas ran over around and thru that D-Line. That's not all coaching. Why didn't that unit perform better? Ark never punted in that game. I refuse to believe it was all scheme. Maybe they quit on Sirmon. They did play well the next week though, shutting out the Landsharks 2nd half in the Egg.

dantheman4248
07-28-2019, 02:47 PM
Plug and play implies you just put them in there and let them go. Arkansas ran over around and thru that D-Line. That's not all coaching. Why didn't that unit perform better? Ark never punted in that game. I refuse to believe it was all scheme. Maybe they quit on Sirmon. They did play well the next week though, shutting out the Landsharks 2nd half in the Egg.

I mean that defense went from being bottom tier to top 10 in one year. That DL lost guys who made huge impacts for us. It was very clearly awful scheming and poor talent utilization. Every other year this century has had solid DL play. We are a bit of a DL factory for the NFL. Again i’m not worried. We have a great coach on defense.

bulldawg28
07-28-2019, 03:42 PM
If you put Bamas LBs on our defense they wouldnt be nearly as good. And vice versa. I do think Erroll and Willie can go toe to toe with them. Willie is the most athletic LB State has ever had. He could easily play S or CB. He is long enough and fast enough

Willie's good but he's not a secondary position player.

BuckyIsAB****
07-28-2019, 04:31 PM
Willie's good but he's not a secondary position player.

He could easily play safety or corner. No doubt in my mind. Jamal Peters did it and Willie is way better than he is. Mentally for sure physically they are a lot alike

R2Dawg
07-28-2019, 04:32 PM
It doesn't. We can be a damn good defense, and still not be better than Bama at lb

Well that is opinion just like most other statements made by anyone this time of year but if you look at results and returning snaps, we are just as good as Bama at LB. Look at history our D talent is never preseason ranked as high due to name on the jersey but come draft time we fair pretty good.

bulldawg28
07-28-2019, 04:40 PM
He could easily play safety or corner. No doubt in my mind. Jamal Peters did it and Willie is way better than he is. Mentally for sure physically they are a lot alike

Lol..no sir. He doesn't have the quick twitch, change of direction, or ball skills to play those positions especially corner. Box safety maybe.

Bdaski
07-28-2019, 09:00 PM
People forget that Courtney Rivers, Kobe, Spencer, and Adams have been productive when they played. Autry may be a day three pick and is a solid senior at DT. And while we lack experience at DT we have several former four star guys there- Lovett, Pickering, and Crumedy. So there is talent there and they will be flanked by guys with experience.

So while we won't be Sweat and Simmons good we won't fall off the face of the Earth either. And we have the linebackers who we can blitz and use to apply pressure more to take some heat off of the defensive line. We'll see if Shoop does it.
Dan has persistent common sense issues with personnel where he didn't take advantage of our talent or strengths usually to play someone like Zach Jackson or Kivon Coman who was an upperclassman. We'll see if Shoop has better common sense.

If, and its a big if those young DL can occupy double teams and still push the pile. That is what we did last year and it forced the QB out of his comfort zone and made the offenses we played to adjust their passing lanes and running lanes.

BuckyIsAB****
07-28-2019, 09:12 PM
Lol..no sir. He doesn't have the quick twitch, change of direction, or ball skills to play those positions especially corner. Box safety maybe.

Im not sure we are talking about the same kid. Willie Gay has all of those in spades. To each his own I guess but his length would help him tremendously at either spot and he is a legit high 4.4-4.5 speed

Todd4State
07-28-2019, 10:12 PM
If, and its a big if those young DL can occupy double teams and still push the pile. That is what we did last year and it forced the QB out of his comfort zone and made the offenses we played to adjust their passing lanes and running lanes.

Why is that a "big" if? We have a senior that may play DT in the NFL at one spot. Then we have three guys that were four stars as the other DT's. Just because we lost a special DT that yes, we won't be able to replace doesn't mean that the rest of the guys are not capable of playing at a high level. The three freshmen are rated higher right now than the guys we lost except for Simmons.

DancingRabbit
07-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Where would one find the S&P+ rankings?