PDA

View Full Version : Lodge calling out OM culture

BrunswickDawg
07-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Damn...

BeastMan
07-26-2019, 08:07 PM
Multiple OM players have RT’d or liked it. Pretty damning. That’ll get used against them in recruiting.

KOdawg1
07-26-2019, 08:08 PM
It's sad how quickly they're turning on him.

Some quotes from the spirit:

"I don't like Lodge anymore"

"Sorry that you were a distant third best WR on our team as AJ & DK are on another level."

"Guess he missed English class. It's ''they are" or "they're" but not their. Sorry, couldn't resist!"

"It's not a coincidence that this statement is coming from the former #1 WR in the country who didn't live up to the hype and was seen as the 3rd best WR on the team. He's probably not going to have a productive NFL career and probably will never make the NFL money that he dreamed about making. I always liked watching him play, but he's mad at the world when in reality he needs to look in the mirror."

They mad, and they're making themselves look even more foolish. This will hurt them down the road.

AlSwearengen
07-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Multiple OM players have RT’d or liked it. Pretty damning. That’ll get used against them in recruiting.

Meh. When you pay well things get overlooked. This has been going on forever. Highly rated recruit ends up in oxford to everyone’s surprise, collects the checks, then finds a conscience after leaving and decides to speak up.

At the end of the day, it just costs them a little more from the slush fund.

AlSwearengen
07-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Multiple OM players have RT?d or liked it. Pretty damning. That?ll get used against them in recruiting.

Meh. When you pay well things get overlooked. This has been going on forever. Highly rated recruit ends up in oxford to everyone?s surprise, collects the checks, then finds a conscience after leaving and decides to speak up.

At the end of the day, it just costs them a little more from the slush fund.

BeardoMSU
07-26-2019, 08:21 PM
It's sad how quickly they're turning on him.

Some quotes from the spirit:

"I don't like Lodge anymore"

"Sorry that you were a distant third best WR on our team as AJ & DK are on another level."

"Guess he missed English class. It's ''they are" or "they're" but not their. Sorry, couldn't resist!"

"It's not a coincidence that this statement is coming from the former #1 WR in the country who didn't live up to the hype and was seen as the 3rd best WR on the team. He's probably not going to have a productive NFL career and probably will never make the NFL money that he dreamed about making. I always liked watching him play, but he's mad at the world when in reality he needs to look in the mirror."

They mad, and they're making themselves look even more foolish. This will hurt them down the road.
Wow...those posts are going to age well**

Liverpooldawg
07-26-2019, 08:25 PM
So they knew about in MARCH and covered it up till it was discovered elsewhere. Typical Ole Miss. it epitomizes what they are, so nothing was done till they got outed.

Pollodawg
07-26-2019, 08:26 PM
Back on the 90s, when their stands looked like a Sons of Confederate Vetarans reunion, the football team went to Tuberville and complained about all of the Rebel flags in the stadium. Basically, they issued the ultimatum to get rid of them or they wouldn’t take the field anymore, so I’ve been told. That’s why jug ears led the charge to have them banned.

Ever noticed it’s only at Ole Miss that this stuff happens? Once is anamolly. This is a trend. Because, that’s the kind of student they attract, peckerwoods who see it as the last bastion of the Old South.

Pollodawg
07-26-2019, 08:27 PM
So they knew about in MARCH and covered it up till it was discovered elsewhere. Typical Ole Miss. it epitomizes what they are, so nothing was done till they got outed.

Aaaaaaannnnndddddd.......Boom goes the truth bomb.

swdawg
07-26-2019, 10:47 PM
To be fair, the fraternity did suspend the 3 guys back in March.

ScoobaDawg
07-26-2019, 11:07 PM
To be fair, the fraternity did suspend the 3 guys back in March.
Should likely suspend that whole frat.. considering the founder and they are the ones always getting in trouble.

Goldendawg
07-27-2019, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=Pollodawg;1130035]Back on the 90s, when their stands looked like a Sons of Confederate Vetarans reunion, the football team went to Tuberville and complained about all of the Rebel flags in the stadium. Basically, they issued the ultimatum to get rid of them or they wouldn’t take the field anymore, so I’ve been told. That’s why jug ears led the charge to have them banned.

Ever noticed it’s only at Ole Miss that this stuff happens? Once is anamolly. This is a trend. Because, that’s the kind of student they attract, peckerwoods who see it as the last bastion of the Old South.[/QU

NM.

Jarius
07-27-2019, 12:14 AM
People that say "this could happen anywhere in the South" are technically correct, but the times it happens at Ole Miss are much higher because of what that school has represented for its entirety. Everything about that school is "Old South". Their symbols. Their school name. Everything. Their student enrollment is mainly out of state kids that want to go to Ole Miss and live the "Old South" way of life. That is who they attract out of state. It's almost like a tourism attraction for semi wealthy racists. They keep on reaping what they sow from past mistakes. Our school does not have this problem on their level because of where our enrollment comes from and we don't have a bunch of Old South racist symbols and traditions that a large portion of our fan base has wanted to hold on to for a century.

lastmajordog
07-27-2019, 04:58 AM
That school truly is amazing, you have incidents like this annually it seems and yet if you talk to any students about their studies or professors it is in large degree VERY liberal.

bulldawg28
07-27-2019, 05:15 AM
That schools entire culture is entrenched with racism. It was built on it. You'd have to change the name, colors, social scenes, and denounce their history for true change. It's pathetic. You can feel it in the air there.

The NCAA should step in and withhold any funding until they change. Call me crazy but I believe it's going to happen one day.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 07:54 AM
That schools entire culture is entrenched with racism. It was built on it. You'd have to change the name, colors, social scenes, and denounce their history for true change. It's pathetic. You can feel it in the air there.

The NCAA should step in and withhold any funding until they change. Call me crazy but I believe it's going to happen one day.

If that ever happens I truly believe that they will leave the SEC and NCAA. They're too far gone at this point.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-27-2019, 07:58 AM
You can't promote your school as the country club university & then be surprised when these type of things happen.

shoeless joe
07-27-2019, 09:27 AM
That school truly is amazing, you have incidents like this annually it seems and yet if you talk to any students about their studies or professors it is in large degree VERY liberal.

There’s a political point you just made but I’ll refrain while on the general forum

bulldawg28
07-27-2019, 09:57 AM
If that ever happens I truly believe that they will leave the SEC and NCAA. They're too far gone at this point.

I agree they are too far gone.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 10:50 AM
You can't promote your school as the country club university & then be surprised when these type of things happen.

You can't have your school mascots promoting the Rebel flag and the Old South and not be surprised when these types of things happen either. It's going to attract a certain segment of the population.

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Before I get blasted, I am no rebel. You all know this. I hate ole miss with a burning passion, but objectively, I just dont see how you can blame an entire university for what 3 individual kids did. If you want to do something to them then they have a right to do so, but the school cant follow them around and baby sit them. If that were the case then every school in the country should lose funding for what one of their students puts on social media. If it were some of our students I wouldnt be the first to say this

Its a bad road you guys are taking this down if you wanna start blaming an entire school and staff for what 3 kids did in the middle of the night months ago

BeardoMSU
07-27-2019, 11:02 AM
I just dont see how you can blame an entire university for what 3 individual kids did.

I don't think anyone is doing that. People are just noting that these type of things happen above the norm (as compared with other schools) in connection with OM and are systemically connected to their culture, identity, and past.

Dolphus Raymond
07-27-2019, 11:03 AM
In the not so distant future, the Confederate statues will come down at the hands of Ole Miss students. Unless their administration is proactive, this will happen. Google “Silent Sam, North Carolina”. The Ole Miss culture of yesteryear has reached the tipping-point.

SailingDawg
07-27-2019, 11:36 AM
There is more than one Facebook page about 'change ole miss' or 'take us back to the golden days.' There are multiple efforts to bring back Dixie, the flag, bring in leadership that will take them back to the 50s and 60s. It's no wonder their kids act this way.

https://*******/2MimpbC

https://www.facebook.com/groups/928697747472449/

http://www.saveolemiss.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ColonelReb/

https://www.colonelreb.org/

starkvegasdawg
07-27-2019, 11:36 AM
One question I've been running through my head maybe one more knowledgeable in legalese can help me with. It was stated they may be up for a civil rights violation investigation. Whose civil rights did they violate. They shot up a road sign. Yes, I know the sensitivity of that sign and what it represents, but that sign is an inanimate object and has no civil rights. At most I see charging them with discharging a firearm on a road, reckless endangerment, and vandalism.

MedDawg
07-27-2019, 11:53 AM
One question I've been running through my head maybe one more knowledgeable in legalese can help me with. It was stated they may be up for a civil rights violation investigation. Whose civil rights did they violate. They shot up a road sign. Yes, I know the sensitivity of that sign and what it represents, but that sign is an inanimate object and has no civil rights. At most I see charging them with discharging a firearm on a road, reckless endangerment, and vandalism.

I'm not sure, but I think the civil rights violation might be from posting the pic on social media ("intimidation", like putting the noose around the Meredith statue), not from shooting the sign. I never saw anything that stated they definitely shot the sign. That Till sign gets shot every time it goes up, but then again, most signs out in the Mississippi countryside get shot up.

MaroonFlounder
07-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Should likely suspend that whole frat.. considering the founder and they are the ones always getting in trouble.

It's a damn shame. My dad was a KA at MSU.

I was a GDI, and proud of it.

MagicDawg
07-27-2019, 12:08 PM
Am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and thought The Lodge was selling an interesting new t-shirt or something?

I guess so.

Nevermind.

BiscuitEater
07-27-2019, 12:37 PM

Until they actually drop ALL association to 'OLE MISS' and 'REBELS,' they cannot be taken seriously. Just one 'damage control' statement after another without meaningful change of any kind.

tireddawg
07-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Before I get blasted, I am no rebel. You all know this. I hate ole miss with a burning passion, but objectively, I just dont see how you can blame an entire university for what 3 individual kids did. If you want to do something to them then they have a right to do so, but the school cant follow them around and baby sit them. If that were the case then every school in the country should lose funding for what one of their students puts on social media. If it were some of our students I wouldnt be the first to say this

Its a bad road you guys are taking this down if you wanna start blaming an entire school and staff for what 3 kids did in the middle of the night months ago

It's the culture that is to blame, and until they're willing to change that culture, they are responsible. When these things happen, they need to get out in front of it, and not try covering it up. That makes them look culpable, and until they denounce, as a whole, all the racist B.S., the blame is fair.

TALL DAWG
07-27-2019, 01:49 PM
Until they actually drop ALL association to 'OLE MISS' and 'REBELS,' they cannot be taken seriously. Just one 'damage control' statement after another without meaningful change of any kind.

I can not believe a national media group has not produced a 1 hour documentary
on the history and TRUE meaning of the phrase Ole Miss. It?s low hanging fruit.

Probably 99% of the current students at UM don?t really know the true meaning.

If I were a black athlete and really understood the meaning, there would be 100% NO
way I would play at UM regardless of how much their network paid me.

What are ED?s thoughts on this?

MedDawg
07-27-2019, 02:48 PM

Because Ole Miss controls the media.**

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2019, 08:27 PM
There is more than one Facebook page about 'change ole miss' or 'take us back to the golden days.' There are multiple efforts to bring back Dixie, the flag, bring in leadership that will take them back to the 50s and 60s. It's no wonder their kids act this way.

https://*******/2MimpbC

https://www.facebook.com/groups/928697747472449/

http://www.saveolemiss.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ColonelReb/

https://www.colonelreb.org/

If they want to bring all of that back they have a right to. Its funny, Lodge didnt care about any of this when he was getting that scholly or those hundred dollar handshakes. He sure didnt mind using OM to help him get to the league. If you feel that way then you should have said something then. Saying it now I just dont buy that. Everyone is out for themselves... I am in no way condoning what the kids did and I am against racism, as everyone should be. But I am also against folding every single time to what's ''PC''. The kids should be held responsible if there is any punishment. OM shouldnt be held responsible for it however.

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2019, 08:29 PM

Probably 99% of the current students at UM don?t really know the true meaning.

If I were a black athlete and really understood the meaning, there would be 100% NO
way I would play at UM regardless of how much their network paid me.

What are ED?s thoughts on this?

If you were one of those black kids getting to play an SEC sport and have your school paid for and being the biggest man on campus you would probably care less what Ole Miss means. I dont think 99 percent of the kids on that campus care.

TALL DAWG
07-27-2019, 09:50 PM
If you were one of those black kids getting to play an SEC sport and have your school paid for and being the biggest man on campus you would probably care less what Ole Miss means. I dont think 99 percent of the kids on that campus care.

Good points

codeDawg
07-27-2019, 09:52 PM

its easy to put some blame on a university who for decades used as their primary identifying character a time when the South was wealthy because they stole people out of Africa and forced them into free, hard labor and abuse. That is what Ole Miss glorifies, and with that is also the dehumanization of African Americans. This is just an example of how these kids thought it was cool to act like this and the culture of people around them accept it.

Commercecomet24
07-27-2019, 10:38 PM

Good post and when you add the money unm is throwing at these players then it makes sense.

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2019, 10:49 PM
its easy to put some blame on a university who for decades used as their primary identifying character a time when the South was wealthy because they stole people out of Africa and forced them into free, hard labor and abuse. That is what Ole Miss glorifies, and with that is also the dehumanization of African Americans. This is just an example of how these kids thought it was cool to act like this and the culture of people around them accept it.

I could respond to a lot of this but this is a sports board.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 10:52 PM
Good post and when you add the money unm is throwing at these players then it makes sense.

They pretty much have to with their Confederate symbols all over the place.

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2019, 10:54 PM
They pretty much have to with their Confederate symbols all over the place.

That has 0 to do with it. They do bc everyone else is they just cheat harder and less effectively. They cheat bc they are cheaters. Damn what else can we blame the Confederacy for?

TALL DAWG
07-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Because Ole Miss controls the media.**

Well, they try and control the statewide media for sure but not nationally
except for what is coming out of Nashville***

Political Hack
07-28-2019, 08:10 PM
Institutions that glorify racially divisive symbols are going to attract racially divisive students.

lastmajordog
07-28-2019, 09:01 PM
Well, they try and control the statewide media for sure but not nationally
except for what is coming out of Nashville***

If one watches OM fball games on regional national tv, it’s obvious the media influence is wide spread....

Dawg61
07-29-2019, 12:22 AM
Damn what else can we blame the Confederacy for?

A lot

Tbonewannabe
07-29-2019, 07:51 AM

True, every university has racists but Ole Miss (slave term) seems to attract more than normal because of its overall imagine of the "Old South". It was about 2 decades ago when they were still waving confederate flags and chanting the South will Rise Again. That is A LOT different than EVERY university in the USA.

Then to compound the problem, the university tries to cover up issues like this one instead of kicking them out of school or other punishments. UM wants that image but doesn't want the negatives that comes with it.

Tbonewannabe
07-29-2019, 08:02 AM
If they want to bring all of that back they have a right to. Its funny, Lodge didnt care about any of this when he was getting that scholly or those hundred dollar handshakes. He sure didnt mind using OM to help him get to the league. If you feel that way then you should have said something then. Saying it now I just dont buy that. Everyone is out for themselves... I am in no way condoning what the kids did and I am against racism, as everyone should be. But I am also against folding every single time to what's ''PC''. The kids should be held responsible if there is any punishment. OM shouldnt be held responsible for it however.

It depends on what UM is offering compared to other schools. Was it a schollie and 100 dollar handshakes if he goes to LSU or UT but UM is giving his parents a house to live in and one of those work from home jobs for at least 4 years like a lot of high level recruits get?

Everyone knows about the red backpacks but some recruits get a lot more. Every job has something you have to put up with and this is what you have to do to play at UM. He did mention athletes don't see a lot of the issues that normal students do. Their population is 10% black which would include athletes. MSU by comparison is 20%.

Mississippi's overall population is 37% black so MSU's is probably pretty accurate representation of the state when you take into consideration the HBCU population.

louisvilledawg
07-29-2019, 08:20 AM
Look at the first response to his tweet. Wonder what changed so much in 1 year? Guess the checks stopped clearing.

https://twitter.com/DaMarkusLodge18/status/1154823982081875969

Tbonewannabe
07-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Interesting looking through the replies, you have a bunch of white folks telling him how he is wrong. Oddly enough, there wasn't a single minority that disagreed with him.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
07-29-2019, 11:16 PM
Am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and thought The Lodge was selling an interesting new t-shirt or something?

I guess so.

Nevermind.

No, I thought the same thing.