PDA

View Full Version : RP usage and Cohen

dawgs
07-26-2019, 10:49 AM
https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/7/26/8931272/mid-plate-appearance-pitcher-change-john-cohen-mississippi-state-kentucky

Discusses some of the new MLB trends with RP usages, specifically changing pitchers with 2 strikes on the hitter and has a section on Cohen being an early adopter if the strategy before they had all the data to backup these decisions. The way he managed that 2013 staff was very similar to how teams like the rays manage their pitching staffs in 2019. Pretty revolutionary stuff we were witnessing.

AlSwearengen
07-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Everyone used to wonder about Cohen bringing a new pitcher in with 2 strikes on the batter. Anyone that has played knew what he was doing. It is damn near impossible to hit a pitchers first pitch breaking ball or any pitch for that matter when you are in that situation.

And all of that bunting that drove everyone crazy? Remember, we were coming off of several years in the wilderness and didn?t have the talent that we do now. Cohen was a damn good coach.

dawgs
07-26-2019, 02:53 PM
The bunting still kills me. Makes sense when it was an offensive black hole at the plate, but we'd do it far too often far too early in games with some of our best bats.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 12:49 AM
Everyone used to wonder about Cohen bringing a new pitcher in with 2 strikes on the batter. Anyone that has played knew what he was doing. It is damn near impossible to hit a pitchers first pitch breaking ball or any pitch for that matter when you are in that situation.

And all of that bunting that drove everyone crazy? Remember, we were coming off of several years in the wilderness and didn?t have the talent that we do now. Cohen was a damn good coach.

It's good to see Cohen getting some credit for some of the things that he did that drove people crazy. I always thought it was interesting how he did some things. I wish he was managing our bullpen in Omaha this past season. Hopefully now that we have some stability we will get better and better.