View Full Version : UK hires Will Coggin as Asst coach

ScoobaDawg
07-25-2019, 09:59 PM
Per MS State Baseball fan

(https://www.facebook.com/MSStateBaseballFan/?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBaLd7ilNU-YFTSCQrlKdm2-9_iaz84sWoD5jtkh6-AEcLhXb3yTqhzgDbHfHOGU9PTwvdSEk1eQOglIPKf46v-fwLYBXIElkX44eA13cDBvJJMcbVTIM5xe1kSz3Db-yRPRl4RYKxCB35Y-wt2m8QISheemrOlyYADCsAF5qCWNwhlTBWbmypGf2IfG7okq7D 3qAlOx7YQaB-EPULetv6d7bASxUF_3b_02crWLeBOEqfan5LUUsnyfT6NReRM0 OsaY7PO9JOfuvcLLvMkYnM8Hx3uSB6Ki9hFSJZQslK4TWq_2zF M4nC2oLRshHXYq0jJneRtwhgvC4I0U2iWKttY6wnopugLnLUdx 2RF5eNGdEr9yZHL&__xts__%5B1%5D=68.ARAGYpnuRjT8gztk9TDf8whCmP9NUj7N mlcg4g7cV9TRT4hFe0YsVHwLQK3G0ed8YgHgOg2ka9xd8V7Xj7 LVjKGRACyAns44n3vTvAETMziAr1_tkvtSBxTyxtD_v8vYsimP fsmqlbyMrXzuJVAClyKFurhX1H6BD-S99UtD78b3LyYkHM87GCNhb2dGA8vUN8gy1OY7KhdZdbdJMmVH ov3cyxYslz1Qvo1rbWXvXtWmsZwQB_LfoYlpIk2ONdYzt_2rAI ruzlN4ijpo0cRIvyMTZXrV5Soa6qCkbrr2ttd4sDZenzqIjjJK C_h07fZGeOoYXyNADG-3Iw0Ks1hXTg&__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARAQv6J8lLVQ-SjPHYmgiMYm6pzgHX_wuovtF1P1ZaCfvnMNfkk_4btQy2rUvd3 fgMbLSYIpCTwJT3OR&hc_ref=ARTzDfZ6z16-FOatvR3GmuoP6afOh1pSS_cA7E9OBa9ZmKuZ8miWiBboXmL73X vI96A&fref=nf)
MS State Baseball Fan9 mins ?
Will Coggin News

He has been hired as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator with Kentucky and Nick Mingione.

He recruited a lot of the guys on last years club particularly.

He will try and recruit our territory. I doubt he could pull a baseball player to go play in Kentucky.

But he is a great recruiter.

Todd4State
07-26-2019, 01:56 AM
Interesting. They depend more on JUCO's than we do. That's really Coggin's recruiting forte.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-26-2019, 07:05 AM
Mingione’s UK team better get better quickly.....

basedog
07-26-2019, 07:24 AM
Ky doesn't care so much bout baseball. Nick will be ok for a little longer.

ShotgunDawg
07-26-2019, 07:49 AM
Kentucky has to develop a niche in recruiting.

One issue that Minge has had is that they continue to attempt to recruit outside of their footprint & it's cost them due to getting kids get home sick & leave.

Coggin recruiting the JUCOs will help, but they won't get the program where it needs to be until they begin signing local KY, IN, OH, & IL HS kids. I'm not sure how much Coggin helps that predicament.

For example: Louisville has 29 players on their roster that are either from Kentucky or a state touching Kentucky while Kentucky only has 13.

I think a big reason that Butch has had some much more success than Minge thus far at Auburn is that Auburn's recruiting footprint is exactly the same as MSU's & a footprint that Butch has been recruiting for his entire career. While Minge coached at Kentucky as the volunteer, Kentucky's recruiting footprint wasn't an area that he had really recruited before & that especially matters when you needing to dig deeper than the big event Perfect Game guys.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-26-2019, 07:53 AM
Ky doesn't care so much bout baseball. Nick will be ok for a little longer.

UK spent $50+ Million on Baseball Renovation.... they care.

Homedawg
07-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Kentucky has to develop a niche in recruiting.

One issue that Minge has had is that they continue to attempt to recruit outside of their footprint & it's cost them due to getting kids get home sick & leave.

Coggin recruiting the JUCOs will help, but they won't get the program where it needs to be until they begin signing local KY, IN, OH, & IL HS kids. I'm not sure how much Coggin helps that predicament.

For example: Louisville has 29 players on their roster that are either from Kentucky or a state touching Kentucky while Kentucky only has 13.

I think a big reason that Butch has had some much more success than Minge thus far at Auburn is that Auburn's recruiting footprint is exactly the same as MSU's & a footprint that Butch has been recruiting for his entire career. While Minge coached at Kentucky as the volunteer, Kentucky's recruiting footprint wasn't an area that he had really recruited before & that especially matters when you needing to dig deeper than the big event Perfect Game guys.

If they don't recruit outside their footprint they can't field a team. They are second fiddle in their own state. Other schools come and cherry pick from time to time as well. It a tough job. Tougher than state in football. I say that Bc at least we have a decent recruiting base in our own state w a reasonable shot to get half of them.

Homedawg
07-26-2019, 09:25 AM
UK spent $50+ Million on Baseball Renovation.... they care.

The fan base doesn't. That was a keep up w the jones' project. That's all.

Randolph Dupree
07-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Lol at the Coggin hire. He gets too much credit for recruiting. He may be good at finding talent but I think that's about where it starts and ends.

Commercecomet24
07-26-2019, 09:47 AM
If they don't recruit outside their footprint they can't field a team. They are second fiddle in their own state. Other schools come and cherry pick from time to time as well. It a tough job. Tougher than state in football. I say that Bc at least we have a decent recruiting base in our own state w a reasonable shot to get half of them.

Agree completely.

Todd4State
07-27-2019, 12:51 AM
Lol at the Coggin hire. He gets too much credit for recruiting. He may be good at finding talent but I think that's about where it starts and ends.

I'd be worried about who was actually coaching hitting there if I was them.

Homedawg
07-27-2019, 11:52 AM

Agree!!