PDA

View Full Version : Possible Statues Outside DWS

Goldendawg
07-23-2019, 08:02 PM
It has been thrown around here on numerous threads about who should be honored with a statue outside DWS. I am a '77 grad of State and my late Superdawg Dad took me to my 1st games in 1964. My nominations would be Jack Cristal and Kang Jackie. Very few have been the voice of an university like Jack was and I do realize he is in the Ring of Honor. Jackie, because he showed us we could win against anyone and got State to Atlanta. I realize the wheels fell off the last few years and the court case helps explain why. JMO. Who would you nominate? PS: Still waiting to make it to Atlanta again and I don't mean the Peach Bowl! Hail State!

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Jack I could understand even though I don't think a statue is needed. Absolutely not on Sherrill. Yes he lead us to Atlanta but we lost. He's a .500 career coach at MSU 16 games under in SEC play. Almost as many losing seasons as winning 1's. I know we all love where Sherrill brought the program but let's not get besides ourselves.

msstate7
07-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Jimbo Fisher**

Jack is the only one I think is statue worthy... well, unless dak wants to drop us some major coin after new deal

Natedogg33
07-23-2019, 08:37 PM
Everyone talks about Jackie getting us to Atlanta. Other than JLD, one person carried us in ‘97 & ‘98, and that was J.J. Johnson. Another guy that doesn’t get talked about enough, was the most high flying, electrifying, crowd pleasin’, Eric Moulds.

Natedogg33
07-23-2019, 08:46 PM
But in reality, you’ve got 2 statues that can be built. #15 Dak Prescott and Marlboro man Jack Cristal. We can all think thru our favorite players over the years, name them off, but those two people had a huge impact on our university and it’s not really close.

Goldendawg
07-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Great thoughts already. Statues outside the Dude are great players. I could really go with Dak. Hail State!

Pollodawg
07-23-2019, 08:53 PM
Jack Cristil is the only one I feel would be a slam dunk and near unanimous. Coaches came and went. Players shot across the horizons and moved on. But we always had Jack.

Goldendawg
07-23-2019, 08:56 PM
Everyone talks about Jackie getting us to Atlanta. Other than JLD, one person carried us in ‘97 & ‘98, and that was J.J. Johnson. Another guy that doesn’t get talked about enough, was the most high flying, electrifying, crowd pleasin’, Eric Moulds.

Wasn't JJ banged up and didn't get to play much in Atlanta? I remember thinking that could have really made the difference. I thought we had it after the Prentiss punt return! Great players, great times! Hail State!

Natedogg33
07-23-2019, 09:22 PM
Yeah I think J.J. hurt his hamstring in the Alabama game but just toughed it out in the Arkansas and ole miss game. Yet I don’t recall him doing a lot in either. Same hammy caused his semi short stint in the nfl. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

RougeDawg
07-23-2019, 10:11 PM
Jack for sure. Jackie is the #2 if there were a 2nd built. Dak would be the 3rd, but not right now.

BuckyIsAB****
07-23-2019, 10:51 PM
How about a statue of Bully. I know there is one in the stadium so that may shut it down and in the Junction but I still think it would be pretty cool to have a bronze bulldog or something at one of the gates.

Homedawg
07-23-2019, 11:02 PM
We don't have a football player worthy of a statue.

NickoeWatersHedges
07-23-2019, 11:28 PM
I disagree. I think a statue on the junction side would enrich the atmosphere and add a sense of legitimacy and culture. I think a Johnie Cooks statue and later a Dak statue would be great. Not a player but I agree that the Legend Cristil should get one too.
We don't have a football player worthy of a statue.

ScoobaDawg
07-24-2019, 12:18 AM
No coach until they win us a natty.
I'm mixed in a Dak statue. He is the best player we have ever had. But. Is that worth a statue? Or just a position in the ring of honor (in time?) and some prominent banners or plaques...

Jack... Love him. And he should have a statue somewhere..but not the front entrance of the stadium.

ScoobaDawg
07-24-2019, 01:42 PM
Oops sorry guys didn't mean to lock this.. Stupid phone

Tbonewannabe
07-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Yeah I think J.J. hurt his hamstring in the Alabama game but just toughed it out in the Arkansas and ole miss game. Yet I don’t recall him doing a lot in either. Same hammy caused his semi short stint in the nfl. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I believe a neck injury cut JJ's NFL career short.

Tbonewannabe
07-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Dak is the only player that I would think deserves one. He basically set almost every record for a MSU QB while leading us to #1 in the first ever Playoff poll. He was also the spokesperson for the university at the time similar to how Jake did it for MSU baseball recently.

If Jackie had won the SEC then I would say yes but at the end of the day, he had us ranked in the top 20 one time and that was in 1999. Mullen had a better record and better ranked seasons than Jackie. I think if we do create a statue then it should be someone who at a minimum wins the SEC. We should't just put up a statue just to do it.

sleepy dawg
07-24-2019, 02:14 PM
I don't think anyone is worthy of a statue at this point. Cristil would be the closest, but still seems like a bit much.

Tbonewannabe
07-24-2019, 02:26 PM
I don't think anyone is worthy of a statue at this point. Cristil would be the closest, but still seems like a bit much.

I love Jack but it would be pretty embarrassing to put up a statue of a radio announcer at a football stadium. It would just kind of highlight the lack of achievements in MSU football more than anything else. He has some other things named after him and he is in the ring of honor, that should be enough for someone who had no influence on wins.

MedDawg
07-24-2019, 02:26 PM
Cam Newton ringing a cowbell

Jacksondevildog
07-24-2019, 02:32 PM
Dak is the only player that I would think deserves one. He basically set almost every record for a MSU QB while leading us to #1 in the first ever Playoff poll. He was also the spokesperson for the university at the time similar to how Jake did it for MSU baseball recently.

If Jackie had won the SEC then I would say yes but at the end of the day, he had us ranked in the top 20 one time and that was in 1999. Mullen had a better record and better ranked seasons than Jackie. I think if we do create a statue then it should be someone who at a minimum wins the SEC. We should't just put up a statue just to do it.

Jackie had us at #8 in the nation in '99 when we traveled to Tuscaloosa and got beat. We were undefeated.

was21
07-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Agree...no Sherrill statue...shouldn't even be on the ballot..with a .500 win percentage and probation baggage would be a laugher

Tbonewannabe
07-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Jackie had us at #8 in the nation in '99 when we traveled to Tuscaloosa and got beat. We were undefeated.

I was referring to end of the season ranking.

R2Dawg
07-24-2019, 08:40 PM
Jack would certainly be a consideration but I think of statues for players/coaches. Jack Cristal press box has a nice ring to it. Not sure if JWS deserves a statue or if any player does yet and this point. We have had some great teams but haven't really won anything worthy of statues. I said when Mullen was here he had a chance to do something special at MSU and he had a chance to have a statue one day but he turned his back on us multiple times looking for jobs.