PDA

View Full Version : I?m excited about this season, but.....

Thick
07-22-2019, 10:21 AM
not about the senseless preseason predictions. I?m expecting the defense to be good, not great, but just good. Hopefully by mid-season to latter they will be very good (they won?t ?18 good). I?m more excited about our offense. I?m anxious to see a REAL quarterback run JoMo?s offense. Appreciate Fitz?s contributions, but to have an all out QB that understands the offense, that can deliver the pill on time and with some touch will be something we haven?t had in a while. I?m excited to see what Hill does this year hopefully with more touches. I?m anxious to see what our wr corp will be like this year. All of this depends on the play of our QB.

Defensively I?m anxious to see who steps into the leadership role, and which players emerge has ball players/game changers. I?m anxious to see how we pressure offenses defensively this year without Sweat/Simmons/Abrams. This upcoming season has excitement written all over it, and our HC has a better grasp of SEC speed and strength of defenses in this division. I won?t make any win/loss predictions. I?ll leave that to you guys, but I wouldn?t be surprised if we won 9 maybe 10 games.

FriarsPoint
07-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Hill has to get better at pass protection.

Political Hack
07-22-2019, 10:39 AM
New QB is going to make a huge difference if the WRs do their part. The passing game is everything IMO. I said it last year and will say it again, in joMo's offense you've got to be able to win one on one downfield. If not, it doesn't work.

sleepy dawg
07-22-2019, 10:44 AM
New QB is going to make a huge difference if the WRs do their part. The passing game is everything IMO. I said it last year and will say it again, in joMo's offense you've got to be able to win one on one downfield. If not, it doesn't work.

And catch it when it hits you in both hands.

Lord McBuckethead
07-22-2019, 11:17 AM
And catch it when it hits you in both hands.

In stride.

R2Dawg
07-22-2019, 11:27 AM
not about the senseless preseason predictions. I?m expecting the defense to be good, not great, but just good. Hopefully by mid-season to latter they will be very good (they won?t ?18 good). I?m more excited about our offense. I?m anxious to see a REAL quarterback run JoMo?s offense. Appreciate Fitz?s contributions, but to have an all out QB that understands the offense, that can deliver the pill on time and with some touch will be something we haven?t had in a while. I?m excited to see what Hill does this year hopefully with more touches. I?m anxious to see what our wr corp will be like this year. All of this depends on the play of our QB.

Defensively I?m anxious to see who steps into the leadership role, and which players emerge has ball players/game changers. I?m anxious to see how we pressure offenses defensively this year without Sweat/Simmons/Abrams. This upcoming season has excitement written all over it, and our HC has a better grasp of SEC speed and strength of defenses in this division. I won?t make any win/loss predictions. I?ll leave that to you guys, but I wouldn?t be surprised if we won 9 maybe 10 games.

Here is a prediction. Fall camp will be O is looking real good. Uh Oh, the D is bad because O can't be any good. Truth is, we will not really know until the end of Sept.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-22-2019, 12:20 PM

We won 1 on 1 quite a bit last year. I've said this before but I'll say it again- Fit didn't go through his reads, and as a result he'd fail to find the open man. So we see him throw into double coverage and asue there was no play anywhere, when the replay shows a different QR with plenty of separation. Think of the flea flicker vs Bama where Thomas was wide open down the middle and Fitz didn' throw it; if he can't see the #1 WR on a play as simple as that then he's not looking at the #3-4-5 on a normal passing play.

WR's problem is drops. Eliminate that and I'll have few complaints. They'll still be a mediocre group but they'll probably still pull their weight

BuckyIsAB****
07-22-2019, 12:24 PM
I am expecting a big year out of the defense. Not number 1 in the country but top 20 is easily doable. The secondary could be better at pass coverage than the group last year. Smitherman and Dantzler is one of the best duos in the league and we have some depth and talent at S. They got a lot of reps last year that will help this time. LBs will be great and we will be good at DE and could be good at DT.

Worst case on offense we will have a good OL and a good RB duo

Pollodawg
07-22-2019, 12:54 PM
Speaking of pre-season prognostications, I haven’t bought a preseason mag since, probably, 2011. I used to buy the gamut of Lindy’s, Phil Steele, Athalon, you name it. I lost interest in pretty much anything but the games themselves. I don’t give a shit about Dari Nokwaha (whatever) opinion.

I expect defense to be solid. I don’t expect them to be a liability.
I equally don’t expect Stevens to throw for 4K yards and 40+ TDS. I could see 2k+. That’s doable. And I expect Hill to get the ball more. I’ll be very disappointed if he doesn’t. Overall, I expect offense to take a decent step forward.

Thick
07-22-2019, 02:24 PM
I look for the defense to play well enough for us to win, but I am expecting our offense to be much more productive based on year 2 of JoMo’s offense, a QB that is comfortable in it with proven experience in P5 conference, and with what we are returning offensively. I’m also expecting KT to be better as well.

Todd4State
07-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Hill has to get better at pass protection.

Having a QB that won't hold the ball too long will help with everyone's pass protection too.

Todd4State
07-22-2019, 04:22 PM

I look for the defense to play well enough for us to win, but I am expecting our offense to be much more productive based on year 2 of JoMo’s offense, a QB that is comfortable in it with proven experience in P5 conference, and with what we are returning offensively. I’m also expecting KT to be better as well.

I agree on both accounts. I really hate that Heath is still in JUCO because of a JPS bungling. I hope Zuber is for real because if he is he will take a lot of pressure off of Guidry and Mitchell.

Lord McBuckethead
07-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Alright, can all iphone users find out how to type without the (?) in place of the (') first.

Then understand and agree that our WRs ran routes, got separation, but were not targeted a bunch last year. Fitz stacked up gigantic rushing numbers, cause he didn't really look for the open man. Hill only getting like 8 carries a game when Aeris also was sitting on the bench. Hill had a ton of upside, but Aeris was the better back last year as he was Hill's freshman year. I also understand Hill will be better this year because he had so many starts under his belt. The 2nd year being the guy is better than the first year being the guy. If Fitz would have never returned last year, KT would have still won us 8 games but have an entire year starting.

So, I am anxious to see our team play. I hope we are 30%+ better on offense and only 5-8% worse on defense. Someone is going to step up huge on the dline this year. Rivers probably.

yjnkdawg
07-22-2019, 05:49 PM

Our running backs should definitely get more running opportunities, and our quarterback(s) should get a lot less (quarterback run options). Fitz initiated some of those quarter back run plays (he did love to run the ball ), and he got schemed into running the ball (for example) like when Aranda did it when we played LSU.

RocketDawg
07-22-2019, 06:18 PM
Alright, can all iphone users find out how to type without the (?) in place of the (') first.

Then understand and agree that our WRs ran routes, got separation, but were not targeted a bunch last year. Fitz stacked up gigantic rushing numbers, cause he didn't really look for the open man. Hill only getting like 8 carries a game when Aeris also was sitting on the bench. Hill had a ton of upside, but Aeris was the better back last year as he was Hill's freshman year. I also understand Hill will be better this year because he had so many starts under his belt. The 2nd year being the guy is better than the first year being the guy. If Fitz would have never returned last year, KT would have still won us 8 games but have an entire year starting.

So, I am anxious to see our team play. I hope we are 30%+ better on offense and only 5-8% worse on defense. Someone is going to step up huge on the dline this year. Rivers probably.

I'm not sure it can be fixed with the current iOS. It even did it a few days ago for me when I posted from my MacBook Pro. I never post using an iPhone, and I don't recall it ever making the mistake before on my MacBook.

Test: I'll see what it does here and if it's still having the issue.

Edit: Looks like it worked as it should.

RougeDawg
07-22-2019, 06:28 PM
In stride.

Between the numbers.

confucius say
07-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Let's not expect too much of TS too soon. I hope he wins the heisman, but it's not fair to label him as "Joe's guy," like hadad is doing, and the perfect guy for joe's system. Lest we forget, joe didn't recruit TS, he inherited him at PSU.

I actually think he will be solid, but I feel like the expectations are too high

Thick
07-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Let's not expect too much of TS too soon. I hope he wins the heisman, but it's not fair to label him as "Joe's guy," like hadad is doing, and the perfect guy for joe's system. Lest we forget, joe didn't recruit TS, he inherited him at PSU.

I actually think he will be solid, but I feel like the expectations are too high

My point being that TS will actually read the defense better which should result in more touches for Hill, and I expect TS to be capable of going through his progressions quicker. A pure QB vs an athlete turned into a “QB”.

gravedigger
07-22-2019, 07:32 PM
Having a QB that won't hold the ball too long will help with everyone's pass protection too.

Mullen say chicks dig the checkdown tho

confucius say
07-22-2019, 09:08 PM
My point being that TS will actually read the defense better which should result in more touches for Hill, and I expect TS to be capable of going through his progressions quicker. A pure QB vs an athlete turned into a “QB”.

Sorry. Wasn't aimed at you. I actually agree with what you're saying

Todd4State
07-22-2019, 09:41 PM
Mullen say chicks dig the checkdown tho

Todd4State says chicks dig championships Dan.

Goldendawg
07-22-2019, 10:57 PM
I know I am now more excited after reading this thread and learning that all the offensive problems in '18 were Fritz's fault. With him gone and a QB that has never started a game in his career, much less the SEC, we will now win the SEC!***

Pollodawg
07-22-2019, 11:44 PM
I know I am now more excited after reading this thread and learning that all the offensive problems in '18 were Fritz's fault. With him gone and a QB that has never started a game in his career, much less the SEC, we will now win the SEC!***
Since literally no one said that......

Coach007
07-23-2019, 01:09 AM

I can say that most of the passing was the fault of Fitz. All one has to do is go back and watch the film. For example... set your playback at .5

4:38 in the video. Look at the defense. Watch Fitz do 2 things.

- Looks the Williams the whole time NEVER SEEING GUIDRY FOR A TD. Pause at 4:42

- Throws WAY late to Williams and slightly behind. These are the throws that have created dropped passes and passes defended. Williams got the blame for that on this board. The defender watched Fitz.. read him the whole way.

5:11--- note the defense. Watch #1

- Fitz failed to read that. The first down was to Guidry... Never saw it and took the sack.

8:50 ..... Wide open and sprinting... throws it behind him.

9:24.. Does read the pressure.. steps up.. great pass to the ankle of a wide open Guidry

10:03 mark. Watch Mitchell be wide open and is never seen. Bottom of your screen.

PAUSE AT 10:15!! Slow the speed down so you can take it all in. That would be Mitchell at the top of the screen.

- He had an open guy in the middle... just late throwing it and behind.
- BUT HE MISSED MITCHELL OPEN. PAUSE IT at 10:20. 10 yards nobody around him.. He just didn't see it.

10:22... WTH??? That's about all one can say at this point. Who is he throwing it to?

- however, follow the guy underneath and the space he had. That's Guidry...on a friggin LB.

- PAUSE your playback at 10:27. I see 2 options that he NEVER looked at and forced a ball to who? Nobody knows? I will take Guidry on that LB every time.

- Totally over threw the guy he was throwing to. No matter how you slice it... He had options.

12:50

- behind mitchell... could argue you gotta catch that.

12:54

- behind the receiver... tries to dive backwards.... The pass was a bullet too.

12:59.. Please pause. Look at the defense. Slow your speed down to .5

- 3 open options.
- Misses his target... again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iAyrvL9aBw

He finished that game @ 42%.... 11 out of 26.

Yes sir. It was a problem. Like I stated... Slow it down and watch it develop

Scared_Hitless
07-23-2019, 08:32 AM
I can say that most of the passing was the fault of Fitz. All one has to do is go back and watch the film. For example... set your playback at .5

- Throws WAY late to Williams and slightly behind. These are the throws that have created dropped passes and passes defended. Williams got the blame for that on this board. The defender watched Fitz.. read him the whole way.

- Fitz failed to read that. The first down was to Guidry... Never saw it and took the sack.

9:24.. Does read the pressure.. steps up.. great pass to the ankle of a wide open Guidry

10:03 mark. Watch Mitchell be wide open and is never seen. Bottom of your screen.

PAUSE AT 10:15!! Slow the speed down so you can take it all in. That would be Mitchell at the top of the screen.

- BUT HE MISSED MITCHELL OPEN. PAUSE IT at 10:20. 10 yards nobody around him.. He just didn't see it.

10:22... WTH??? That's about all one can say at this point. Who is he throwing it to?

- however, follow the guy underneath and the space he had. That's Guidry...on a friggin LB.

- PAUSE your playback at 10:27. I see 2 options that he NEVER looked at and forced a ball to who? Nobody knows? I will take Guidry on that LB every time.

- Totally over threw the guy he was throwing to. No matter how you slice it... He had options.

- 3 open options.

Good breakdown, I believe most understand the limitations Fitz showed last season. Most question why we were not more reliant on the rushing attack to offset his limitations. I think Moorhead is going to work out here, you can see the change in QB recruiting already. Shraeder and Rogers are both more in line with the future, decent athletes(Exceptional in the case of Garret) but more passing oriented. If we are going to win the games people here are starting to strive for we need to be balanced and explosive. Time will tell if we can get the WRs and Qbs necessary. Tommy is an unknown ,but I am excited for the unknown of this season. Still predicting 8 wins, but if Tommy is good we can get more.

Coach007
07-23-2019, 09:43 AM
We have people suggesting it was all the receivers. It wasnt. I have seen Mitchell make outstanding catches.

1bigdawg
07-23-2019, 10:49 AM
We have people suggesting it was all the receivers. It wasnt. I have seen Mitchell make outstanding catches.

I believe they place that blame on a couple of big play drops by the receivers. It happens, but there were not enough opportunities to succeed to offset the drops.

BuckyIsAB****
07-23-2019, 11:03 AM

- 3 open options.

We win that game if we hand the ball off to 8 and 27 and make them stop it. No business throwing 26 passes with a QB that was firmly seated at the front of the struggle bus. He got even worse vs LSU

Coach007
07-23-2019, 11:25 AM
One could say that we win that game by a massive amount had we thrown the ball to the right wr and hit him with it.

Ari Gold
07-23-2019, 11:37 AM
It really sucks that we have the ONLY WRs in college football that have dropped passes..

Homedawg
07-23-2019, 11:38 AM

And you saw him drop 2 passes just in that clip too.... there is plenty of blame to go around last year, Moorhead, Fitz, receivers, you name it.

BuckyIsAB****
07-23-2019, 11:41 AM
One could say that we win that game by a massive amount had we thrown the ball to the right wr and hit him with it.

Im not giving our WRs too much credit. They had some moments but like I've said, the only one that can consistently win his route his Deddrick Thomas.

R2Dawg
07-23-2019, 12:35 PM
And you saw him drop 2 passes just in that clip too.... there is plenty of blame to go around last year, Moorhead, Fitz, receivers, you name it.

Yep to pin everything on Fitz is not true and just dumb. WR dropped key good balls, Moorhead didn't manage his talent or O playcalling. We had a nasty OL and some of best runners in country. Moorhead was way too eager to run his O regardless of talent he had. He had to change the culture. Moorhead a smart guy; I think he learned a lot last year.

Pollodawg
07-23-2019, 01:32 PM
Went back and watched highlights verses K State last season. I?d forgotten how badly Hill ate them up. There HAS to be an explanation for why he didn?t play more down the stretch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3M__e68bzvI

BB30
07-23-2019, 02:54 PM
Went back and watched highlights verses K State last season. I?d forgotten how badly Hill ate them up. There HAS to be an explanation for why he didn?t play more down the stretch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3M__e68bzvI

If I'm not mistaken he was banged up down the stretch.. Could be wrong though.

Scared_Hitless
07-23-2019, 02:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken he was banged up down the stretch.. Could be wrong though.

He had an aggravated hamstring for a large portion of the season. He played through it but lost alot of explosiveness. Watch the Bama run where he breaks multiple tackles and runs up the sidelines, his straightaway speed was severely hindered.

Goldendawg
07-23-2019, 06:27 PM
Im not giving our WRs too much credit. They had some moments but like I've said, the only one that can consistently win his route his Deddrick Thomas.

This. Don't count Thomas out as a solid contributor in the slot just because there are high hopes for Zuber. The more solid receivers that we can put on the field, the better! Hail State!

dawgoneyall
07-23-2019, 06:43 PM
Well Moorhead doesn't think we can win big according to his SEC media day presser.

Our history tells him so.....

Goldendawg
07-23-2019, 07:49 PM
Well Moorhead doesn't think we can win big according to his SEC media day presser.

Our history tells him so.....

There is/was a very extensive thread about Jo's SEC media day on SPS, a very interesting read. I was surprised that nothing has or was discussed here. Lack of interest or what?