PDA

View Full Version : Come Back Win.... 1999 Ms St vs UK.. 2 min offense!!

Coach007
07-21-2019, 05:58 PM
Football season can not get here fast enough!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OEsiJNqs1s

Coach007
07-21-2019, 05:59 PM
8-0 BABY!!!

Homedawg
07-21-2019, 06:14 PM
Clearly not a realist

Todd4State
07-21-2019, 06:27 PM
It seemed like we got screwed by the officials repeatedly in that game and just outwilled UK and the officials.

R2Dawg
07-21-2019, 08:23 PM
I'll tell you what that era may have been the best 5-6 years of MSU football ever. Dawgs were rockin in the JWS prime. For those that were not around back then or following to Dawgs, rest assured we can win big here. 2014 was the best 3 game stretch but 97-2000 were some special years.

Coach007
07-21-2019, 08:32 PM
DPR!!!! The best ever.. Will never forget the announcers "They won't let them do it on the field so Jackie found away... let's them do it on the sideline!"

TaleofTwoDogs
07-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Hell, I had forgotten what a hurry up offense looked like. I wish we could back to the days of a huddle and then hike the ball without all the look backs to the sidelines.

Skydawg1
07-21-2019, 09:07 PM
Need to adjust your tracking.*

Goldendawg
07-21-2019, 09:44 PM
Hell, I had forgotten what a hurry up offense looked like. I wish we could back to the days of a huddle and then hike the ball without all the look backs to the sidelines.

We were in the days of a semi-huddle on O last year. The "huddle" consisted of everyone standing or keeping their stance and looking to the sideline until the play was finally approved with 5 or less seconds left to snap the ball. Our hurry up was a hurry up and wait! This has to change this year or SEC defenses will continue to count down the snap and tee off on our line and destroy the play.

BrunswickDawg
07-21-2019, 09:56 PM
I’d never actually seen that - I was in the North Georgia mountains near Ellijay at a deer camp that night and could somehow pick up Jack on a boom box outside the cabin. So I sat by a camp fire listening with a bunch of UGA fans who all went nuts with me when Westerberg made that kick. I’d seen the kick, but not the drive. Thanks for posting.

Coach007
07-21-2019, 11:36 PM
You are welcome. That was one of many come backs.... including the Ole Miss game. Tip, Kick, Pick....

Todd4State
07-22-2019, 02:35 AM
You are welcome. That was one of many come backs.... including the Ole Miss game. Tip, Kick, Pick....

We also came back on Auburn and LSU that year as well.

On top of that the Vanderbilt Fred Smoot homework game, the South Carolina game with Lou Holtz in year one, and the Peach Bowl were also pretty memorable wins for me as well. Westerfield also kicked the game winner against Memphis that year and it gets totally overlooked for good reason when you look at the body of work of the entire season. Of course that was a typical MSU/Memphis game for that era.

I'm not sure how many of our fans on here experienced both 1999 and 2014- but 1999 was the better year of the two for me.

I think the key to that season was the Auburn win. We were 5-0 coming into that game with three OOC wins over what some experts painted as a "weak" schedule- we played and beat Oklahoma State- and then followed that up with wins over two bad SEC teams. But that win really started our run where we then beat LSU and Kentucky in a span of three weeks basically. We were pretty close to going undefeated that year- we played Alabama in Tuscaloosa and the SEC wasn't going to let Jackie win the SEC and then against Arkansas we had a TD called back on a holding call. We finished strong with the Egg Bowl and Peach Bowl of course.

Our schedule this year kind of reminds me of 1999's. And like that year I think the Auburn game is the key to our season. If we are undefeated going into that game and pull off a win we could be special again.

fader2103
07-22-2019, 08:05 AM
This is the only game I missed in the 99 Season.

Tbonewannabe
07-22-2019, 08:30 AM
1999 is the only year my wife and I went to every game and stayed for every second on the clock. She almost talked me into leaving after the Int at Auburn with a few minutes left but I said just one more drive and then we can leave.

1999 in football was like 2018 in baseball, the team had almost too much grit to lose. The 99 team got screwed by the refs in both games they lost also. The Bama game was the infamous holding call on a Pig Prather punt return right before halftime down to around the 10 that would have either gave us a lead or made it really close. The holding call was about 5 yards BEHIND where Pig caught the ball. We received a letter the next week apologizing for the missed call that happened to go in Bama's favor and kill what momentum we had.

R2Dawg
07-22-2019, 11:32 AM
The Auburn game was maybe the most unreal comeback ever. Aub fans left in 3rd quarter due to boring game and it being over. We hadn't done jack all day on O and then drive the field twice in 3-4 min to score 2 TDs to win.

4suredog
07-22-2019, 11:47 AM
I've got one of the game balls from this win. I was told it was the kicked ball but cannot confirm. It was given to Rob Morgan by JWS because of the hold on the bad snap which he later gave to me. Kind of a cool thing, got the officials initials and such on the seems...