PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Pizza In Starkville?

ShotgunDawg
07-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Brandon Walker needs to use his new position to get Dave Portnoy/Barstool to Starkville to do a pizza review.

For me it's Dave's Darkhorse.

Wherever he went, so long as it scored over a 6.0 on his scale would see an uptick in business & provide a "cool factor" to Starkville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gXLEakCMjM

BeardoMSU
07-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Can't go wrong with Dave's or Strombolis.

civildawg
07-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Stromboli?s but Dave hates doughy pizza. I?ve been to his highest rated place in New York and was not impressed at all. On the other hand, we went to one of the famous places in NY and it was some of the best pizza I?ve ever had but Dave gave it like a 7.

ShotgunDawg
07-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Stromboli?s but Dave hates doughy pizza. I?ve been to his highest rated place in New York and was not impressed at all. On the other hand, we went to one of the famous places in NY and it was some of the best pizza I?ve ever had but Dave gave it like a 7.

You went to John’s on Bleeker?

I’m a coal fired guy myself which mean I like it crispy

ShotgunDawg
07-20-2019, 10:49 AM
https://youtu.be/S7U-vROxF1w

StarkvilleGuru
07-20-2019, 10:54 AM
Dave's hands down. How can it not be after being in an Afroman song?

BeardoMSU
07-20-2019, 11:04 AM
You went to John’s on Bleeker?

I’m a coal fired guy myself which mean I like it crispy

Joe's in Greenwich Village is probably the best pizza I've had in NYC (especially their Sicilian pie). The absolute best pizza I've had is the tomato pie at Frank Pepe's in New Haven CT.

dawgs
07-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Nothing about barstool sports says "cool factor" imo. Douchebag factor, sure.

BeardoMSU
07-20-2019, 11:10 AM
Dave's hands down. How can it not be after being in an Afroman song?

I guess that makes Rick's the best bar, then***

civildawg
07-20-2019, 11:35 AM
Yes I went to johns of bleeker. It was good but I preferred juliana?s much more. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HGgw5_vjzRw

HereComesTheSpiral
07-20-2019, 11:48 AM
I guess that makes Rick's the best bar, then***

Dolla night FTW.**

Just kidding, I hate Rick's.

Rick Danko
07-20-2019, 11:58 AM
Dave?s deep dish is transcendent

Ifyouonlyknew
07-20-2019, 12:25 PM
Not saying it's the best but Gondolier's Pizza is good.

starkvegasdawg
07-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Not saying it's the best but Gondolier's Pizza is good.

I like their pizza but love their other dishes better. My go to pizza is usually the cujo from lost pizza minus the peppers and olives.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-20-2019, 12:53 PM
I like their pizza but love their other dishes better. My go to pizza is usually the cujo from lost pizza minus the peppers and olives.

Yea they have a nice thing going over there.

vv83
07-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Can't go wrong with Dave's or Strombolis.

Surprised to see Strombolis mentioned.. I feel like that haven't been good in 10 years. Pretty sure they switched management a long time ago. They used to be right up there with Dave's for me

LandDawg
07-20-2019, 01:34 PM
prefer pepperoni, but Walter Peyton is close 2nd.

Bigedawg
07-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Dave’s. Walter Payton Deep Dish. No contest.

BeardoMSU
07-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Surprised to see Strombolis mentioned.. I feel like that haven't been good in 10 years. Pretty sure they switched management a long time ago. They used to be right up there with Dave's for me

Yeah, mentioning them is based mainly on memory. I remember when their large pepperoni was $5 flat with a student ID. I haven't eaten there recently enough to recall a decrease in quality.

Lord McBuckethead
07-20-2019, 08:07 PM
Daves.

turkish
07-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Does Stromboli’s still do $.25 PBRs? Tuesday’s I think? They did the last time I was there.

BeardoMSU
07-20-2019, 08:35 PM
CJ's was actually really freaking good, but they didn't last long because their lease was sold out from under them (as was the hair salon in the other side of the building). Their garlic knots were the truth, and they had cheap beer during trivia, which is always nice.

Maridian Dawg
07-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Lost Pizza is really good, Stromboli's is strong too, Dave's is awesome as well.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-21-2019, 10:49 PM
China Garden

Cloak
07-22-2019, 01:04 AM
Dave's, no contest

starkvegasdawg
07-22-2019, 08:05 AM
China Garden

My kids may not argue this post. The pizza is about all they get when they go there. And that's just because they don't have chicken strips.

BeastMan
07-22-2019, 09:12 AM
For the sake of the argument, there isnt good pizza in Starkville for Dave P to rate. If you’ve ever seen his videos, you’d know he’d annihilate anything he’d try in Starkville. Lost Pizza is solid but you don’t send Dave Portnoy to a chain. And Dave’s is hands down my favorite bar in Vegas and when you compare them to bar food, they’re great. But putting them up against the top pizzerias in the country is ridiculous to even suggest. This is a bad damn idea

StarkVegasSteve
07-22-2019, 10:20 AM
For the sake of the argument, there isnt good pizza in Starkville for Dave P to rate. If you’ve ever seen his videos, you’d know he’d annihilate anything he’d try in Starkville. Lost Pizza is solid but you don’t send Dave Portnoy to a chain. And Dave’s is hands down my favorite bar in Vegas and when you compare them to bar food, they’re great. But putting them up against the top pizzerias in the country is ridiculous to even suggest. This is a bad damn idea

I agree with Beast on this one. Portnoy would s*** on any pizza Starkville has. He's tough on some of the best pizza places in the country. I'd hate to see what he had to say about one in Starkville. And I for one love Dave's pizza and think it is hands down the best in Starkville.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2019, 11:27 AM

I understand your point but disagree. I've eaten at many of the places Dave P has rated well and Dave's compares favorably. I think it would at least get a 7 from Dave.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2019, 11:28 AM
I agree with Beast on this one. Portnoy would s*** on any pizza Starkville has. He's tough on some of the best pizza places in the country. I'd hate to see what he had to say about one in Starkville. And I for one love Dave's pizza and think it is hands down the best in Starkville.

I think this is just your Mississippi inferiority talking. Unless you've tried some of the best pizza places in America, you're not qualified to speak on this.

I have tried many and Dave's is comparable.

dawgs
07-22-2019, 11:58 AM
Dave's doesn't hold up to great pizza around the country. It's a solid college town dive bar pizza, but pretty much every city is gonna have several clearly better options.

Also, who wants Dave portnoy and barstool to fluff anything associated with MSU? Website is douchebag central and portnoy is a real shitbag. Keep them away from MSU.

BeastMan
07-22-2019, 12:12 PM
Dave's doesn't hold up to great pizza around the country. It's a solid college town dive bar pizza, but pretty much every city is gonna have several clearly better options.

Also, who wants Dave portnoy and barstool to fluff anything associated with MSU? Website is douchebag central and portnoy is a real shitbag. Keep them away from MSU.

Barstool is a massive brand. Brandon Walker is a rising star with Barstool. You want Dave Portnoy in town creating content. But you only get 1 shot, everybody knows the rules

BeardoMSU
07-22-2019, 12:19 PM
I think this is just your Mississippi inferiority talking. Unless you've tried some of the best pizza places in America, you're not qualified to speak on this.

I have tried many and Dave's is comparable.

Don't be sensitive. Dave's is good, but it's not in the discussion for great national pizza. And that's ok...

dawgs
07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
Barstool is a massive brand. Brandon Walker is a rising star with Barstool. You want Dave Portnoy in town creating content. But you only get 1 shot, everybody knows the rules

I'd rather Starkville and MSU not be marketed to the douchebags that follow barstool sports and Dave portnoy, I don't care how massive the brand is.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2019, 12:34 PM
I'd rather Starkville and MSU not be marketed to the douchebags that follow barstool sports and Dave portnoy, I don't care how massive the brand is.

Well, I'm glad you don't recruit for MSU.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Don't be sensitive. Dave's is good, but it's not in the discussion for great national pizza. And that's ok...

Agree to disagree

dawgs
07-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Well, I'm glad you don't recruit for MSU.

I'd rather not chase after mysogynist trolls, but maybe I'm just just not an asshole so I don't appreciate that type of "humor"/observations and the type of people attracted to websites that peddle that kinda garbage.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2019, 12:47 PM
I'd rather not chase after mysogynist trolls, but maybe I'm just just not an asshole so I don't appreciate that type of "humor"/observations and the type of people attracted to websites that peddle that kinda garbage.

Sheesh

StarkVegasSteve
07-22-2019, 01:14 PM

Love him or hate him, Portnoy has a massive brand and those pizza review videos get hundreds of thousands of views. Any small town pizza place would kill for that kind of notoriety.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Love him or hate him, Portnoy has a massive brand and those pizza review videos get hundreds of thousands of views. Any small town pizza place would kill for that kind of notoriety.

At worst, Portnoy destroys it and the same locals that still eat there continue to eat there. At best, Starkville gains a tourist attraction.

What's the risk?

StarkVegasSteve
07-22-2019, 01:23 PM
At worst, Portnoy destroys it and the same locals that still eat there continue to eat there. At best, Starkville gains a tourist attraction.

What's the risk?

I agree, but then again......what are the chances he decides to come to Starkville, MS? I feel like we're discussing something that has a at best 2-3% chance of happening.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2019, 01:27 PM
I agree, but then again......what are the chances he decides to come to Starkville, MS? I feel like we're discussing something that has a at best 2-3% chance of happening.

With Brandon Walker at Barstool, I think it's at least 50% it eventually happens.

dawgs
07-22-2019, 01:39 PM
I think you are overstating the likelihood that anywhere becomes a "tourist attraction" because of web series, much less that the spot that ends up transcending the rest of his stops to become a major attraction also ends up being Dave's or somewhere else in Starkville instead of one of the dozens of other spots he's reviewed around the country.

StarkVegasSteve
07-22-2019, 01:52 PM
With Brandon Walker at Barstool, I think it's at least 50% it eventually happens.

I don't think Brandon will have much influence on where they go. If it was Big Cat or PFT or maybe even Kayce then I might agree with you. But Brandon is still new at the company. Not saying he can't be big, I'll be interested to see how him and Kayce work together on their new show.

bigplayslay
07-22-2019, 02:01 PM

You're the only one in this thread with that opinion. Give it a rest.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2019, 02:12 PM
I think you are overstating the likelihood that anywhere becomes a "tourist attraction" because of web series, much less that the spot that ends up transcending the rest of his stops to become a major attraction also ends up being Dave's or somewhere else in Starkville instead of one of the dozens of other spots he's reviewed around the country.

Good lord. What are you arguing?

I said "best case tourist attraction"

At no point did I say "likelihood".

If you can't read, stop posting

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2019, 02:13 PM
I don't think Brandon will have much influence on where they go. If it was Big Cat or PFT or maybe even Kayce then I might agree with you. But Brandon is still new at the company. Not saying he can't be big, I'll be interested to see how him and Kayce work together on their new show.

Sure. He won't be new forever though

dawgs
07-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Good lord. What are you arguing?

I said "best case tourist attraction"

At no point did I say "likelihood".

If you can't read, stop posting

There's 0% chance Dave portnoy and his douchebag website and pizza eating vlog is establishing a tourist attraction around Dave's or Stromboli's or anywhere else.

dawgs
07-22-2019, 02:34 PM
I like all the dislike rep comments saying I'm "too sensitive", wonder how many come from the same posters who said they didn't wanna players kneeling for the anthem representing their university?

notoriousdog
07-22-2019, 03:51 PM
I haven't had it in a while, but my favorite pizza in town was the Drunken Chicken at The Bin.

Brandon Walker
07-22-2019, 04:00 PM

Chances are way higher than that.

Dallas_Dawg
07-22-2019, 04:41 PM
Chances are way higher than that.
Boom. Dave needs to come hit all the spots on a big game weekend and see the Junction
Would be great pub

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-24-2019, 01:57 PM
My kids may not argue this post. The pizza is about all they get when they go there. And that's just because they don't have chicken strips.

I said it kidding of course but it is VERY good pizza.