PDA

View Full Version : OM Fans Are Setting Themselves Up for Major Disappointment

ShotgunDawg
07-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Hearing Bo Bounds desperately trying to get OM fans excited by feeding them BS false hope & hearing some optimism from Cole Cubelic on the radio yesterday, but I just can't figure what there is to be optimistic about.

I just don't see where the wins come from...

- Moving to 3-4 defense has never worked in year 1
- New QB
- WR unit lost most of it's production
- 2 coordinators that will be attempting to undercut the head coach in an effort to get the head job. I give them till about week 7 before the shit hits the fan.
- Offensive line lost all it's good players

Looking at OM's schedule, I only see 2 certain wins. If OM wins 5-6 games, Matt Luke should be considered in SEC coach of the year conversations.

The only thing that I think OM will be substantially better at this year is limiting the plays its' porous defense has to play because Rich Rod will run the ball more. Also, they are a little lucky in that most of their tossups are at the beginning of the year when they won't be decimated yet & still have hope. I think they would lose more of the tossups if they were on the back-end of the schedule.

I don't see them having much of a chance in the losses.

As unbiased as you can be, tell me where I'm missing the mark

https://i.imgur.com/1j2fKn0.jpg

timotheus
07-19-2019, 12:31 PM
I think u have it about right. A few injuries and they will do much worse.

Political Hack
07-19-2019, 12:55 PM
4 likely losses IMO. 2 likely wins.

The rest are toss ups, with Mizzou and A&M being likely losses as well. You could say State is a toss up too just because it's a rivalry game, but I can't see us losing that one this year.

Johnson85
07-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Don't disagree with any of it. I think they've got a good situation against Arkansas. Their offense goes against UM's defensive strength (such as it is) and I assume Arkansas still doesn't have the personnel for their offense. And it's at home.

Don't know enough about Memphis or Vanderbilt or California to weigh in on. Also not sure what to think about Mizzou; is that a possible upset game?

Definitely going to be hard to them to get to 6 though.

msstate7
07-19-2019, 12:59 PM
There's no way I'd put money on it, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were 4-0 headed in to Tuscaloosa

Maroonthirteen
07-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Offensively, they will have some good freshmen players contribute immediately.

StarkVegasSteve
07-19-2019, 01:12 PM
There's no way I'd put money on it, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were 4-0 headed in to Tuscaloosa

They're better than people think if they roll into T-Town 4-0. I'm not saying it's not possible. The Memphis game could decide their fate for the season. If they win that one then I see a way for them to get to 6 wins. They lose that one and their season could go downhill FAST. I just don't see them being able to piece together enough stops to beat Memphis. That game will be Memphis' super bowl. The Liberty Bowl will be rocking for that one.

gravedigger
07-19-2019, 01:13 PM

They could and what?s more we should expect it. They are in the same shape they ere in all those years of my childhood. Shitty, but dangerous and emotional. They can?t hang with the better teams but they could damn sure upset a midrange team if they didn?t get trounced.

We are midrange. They will play inspired. Hope we are clicking on thanksgiving

Jarius
07-19-2019, 01:34 PM

And I would be shocked if you did not have this opinion.

msstate7
07-19-2019, 01:50 PM
And I would be shocked if you did not have this opinion.

Not even sure what this is supposed to mean. They wouldn't have to be very good at all to be 4-0. Memphis played 2 P5 teams last year, and they lost both while giving up an avg of 51 ppg. Ark game is at home. Cal isn't good.

ShotgunDawg
07-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Offensively, they will have some good freshmen players contribute immediately.

Freshman.

HancockCountyDog
07-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Hearing Bo Bounds desperately trying to get OM fans excited by feeding them BS false hope & hearing some optimism from Cole Cubelic on the radio yesterday, but I just can't figure what there is to be optimistic about.

- New QB
- 2 coordinators that will be attempting to undercut the head coach in an effort to get the head job. I give them till about week 7 before the shit hits the fan.

Looking at OM's schedule, I only see 2 certain wins. If OM wins 5-6 games, Matt Luke should be considered in SEC coach of the year conversations.

The only thing that I think OM will be substantially better at this year is limiting the plays its' porous defense has to play because Rich Rod will run the ball more. Also, they are a little lucky in that most of their tossups are at the beginning of the year when they won't be decimated yet & still have hope. I think they would lose more of the tossups if they were on the back-end of the schedule.

I haven't talked to a single confederate fan that is excited about this season. In fact, most are pretending the season isn't starting in about a month. They know that they are looking at 3-5 wins and if everything breaks their way 6 wins.

Ari Gold
07-19-2019, 02:24 PM
They haven’t won 6 games the last 2 years with better players each of those years.
Will they win 6 this year ? Maybe
Could they Only win 3 or 4 this year? Absolutely

Jarius
07-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Not even sure what this is supposed to mean. They wouldn't have to be very good at all to be 4-0. Memphis played 2 P5 teams last year, and they lost both while giving up an avg of 51 ppg. Ark game is at home. Cal isn't good.

It means exactly what I said.

Maroonthirteen
07-19-2019, 02:45 PM
Freshman.

Thank you very much Miss Lippy.

TrapGame
07-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Didn't Cal beat them last year? I remember watching that game but I can't remember if it was last year or the year before b/c I thought Shea was starting QB. Cal's HC is a good defensive minded coach. His second half adjustments just neutered om's offense.

msstate7
07-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Didn't Cal beat them last year? I remember watching that game but I can't remember if it was last year or the year before b/c I thought Shea was starting QB. Cal's HC is a good defensive minded coach. His second half adjustments just neutered om's offense.

OM beat Texas tech as their P5 opponent last season

Johnson85
07-19-2019, 03:08 PM
They're better than people think if they roll into T-Town 4-0. I'm not saying it's not possible. The Memphis game could decide their fate for the season. If they win that one then I see a way for them to get to 6 wins. They lose that one and their season could go downhill FAST. I just don't see them being able to piece together enough stops to beat Memphis. That game will be Memphis' super bowl. The Liberty Bowl will be rocking for that one.

That would mean they'd be better than people think, but not necessarily by much. They have 4 very winnable games to start off with that probably any SEc team other than Arky, Ole Miss, and maybe Vandy would expect to go 4-0 through.

TrapGame
07-19-2019, 03:28 PM

OM beat Texas tech as there P5 opponent last season

Thank you. I thought I remembered Shea as the starter.

drunkernhelldawg
07-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Bad teams usually get better. We'll see what happens this time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 3 of their first four. In some ways, we'll be seeing their team for the first time when they open the season. It'll be easier to judge after that. I've seen more than one bad team turn it around over the years.

Jarius
07-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Bad teams usually get better. We'll see what happens this time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 3 of their first four. In some ways, we'll be seeing their team for the first time when they open the season. It'll be easier to judge after that. I've seen more than one bad team turn it around over the years.

How many bad teams have you seen get better that have recruited worse than anyone else in their division after losing 4 high offensive draft picks and return the worst P5 defense in the nation? I have never seen it.

Bass Chaser
07-19-2019, 03:48 PM
8 straight games before their first bye week could be a huge issue if there are any injuries.

LC Dawg
07-19-2019, 04:01 PM
The only positive for OM is that they start the season with some pretty weak teams with Memphis probably being the strongest of the first four. If they can somehow start 4-0 or 3-1 they will win 5 or 6 games. If they start out 1-3 they will finish 2-10 with Rich Rod as their interim coach.

StateDawg44
07-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Yeah haven't heard many rumblings from Rebels as far as setting any sort of expectations this summer for them to be dissapointed with this fall.

Not sure why OP tried to make it seem like there are a bunch of OM fans going around making bold predictions. They know they will be similar to last year if not worse.

BuckyIsAB****
07-19-2019, 04:14 PM
They have a QB and RBs that fit what Rich Rod wants, recruited well at the WR position. They will still have weapons, it wouldnt surprise me at all if Plumlee ends up being their QB before the season is over. I am not a believer in Corral at all and Plumlee is tough and can run as well as anyone. They have some real talent and depth at RB with Phillips, Conner, Knight and Pennamon. Rich Rod has some guys that can do what he wants. It will hinge on the OL and how quick they can pick up the system.

Defensively it cant be much worse but Im not expecting a big jump. They have some talent at DT but no depth. DBs are probably average, Linton and Jones aint bad. Kamron White could be pretty good before its over with. And we know how bad the LBs are. They have a bunch of bodies at LB but that doesnt mean depth. They could probably move Jay Stanley down there too he is a striker. Mac hasnt proven much at colorado, granted it is not a defensive league.

They could start the season 4-0 and not be very good bc nobody in that first 4 is great. They could beat Vandy and I would give them a shot at Mizzou. 6-6 best case but more than likely they go 4-8 5-7 unless the bottom falls out

TNDawg35
07-19-2019, 04:24 PM
OM offense will take a huge step back. They don’t have any of the WR they need to rely on for that offense not so they have the big bruising back they need to run the ball down people’s throats.

I’m sitting here watching the egg bowl again and a lot of their ball movement was due to great plays by their WR and TE corps...

Todd4State
07-19-2019, 05:04 PM
When did Scottie Phillips become Emmitt Smith?

He didn't crack 1K yards, and 204 of his 928 came in one game against Texas Tech. On top of that in SEC play he has broken 100 yards once.

Oh- and their o-line is going to be worse this year as is their receiving corp.

sleepy dawg
07-19-2019, 05:12 PM
I think 5-6 wins is very realistic for them.

Games they are almost definitely losing:
@Alabama
@Auburn
@LSU

Games they will probably lose but could pull it out if a enough luck goes their way:
@Missouri
Texas A&M
@MSU

Realistically, they probably get 1 win out of those 6 games from being lucky. They could lose them all too though and very unlikely to win 2 of those games.

Games they will almost definitely win:
Southeast LA
New Mexico State

Games they will probably win but could lose if they shit the bed:
Arkansas
Cal

Toss ups:
@Memphis
Vandy

Vandy at their place has the edge too but could go either way for sure. I think they have 2 guaranteed (as much as you can guarantee). 2 more they can be confident in... That's 4. Throw in 2 toss ups and 1 more possible out of the hard games. That should put them somewhere between the 4 win and 7 win mark.

ShotgunDawg
07-19-2019, 06:03 PM
I think 5-6 wins is very realistic for them.

Games they are almost definitely losing:
@Alabama
@Auburn
@LSU

Games they will probably lose but could pull it out if a enough luck goes their way:
@Missouri
Texas A&M
@MSU

Realistically, they probably get 1 win out of those 6 games from being lucky. They could lose them all too though and very unlikely to win 2 of those games.

Games they will almost definitely win:
Southeast LA
New Mexico State

Games they will probably win but could lose if they shit the bed:
Arkansas
Cal

Toss ups:
@Memphis
Vandy

Vandy at their place has the edge too but could go either way for sure. I think they have 2 guaranteed (as much as you can guarantee). 2 more they can be confident in... That's 4. Throw in 2 toss ups and 1 more possible out of the hard games. That should put them somewhere between the 4 win and 7 win mark.

I don’t think you realize their talent level.

They only return 3 players on offense and switching defensive alignments with what was the worst defense in America

Commercecomet24
07-19-2019, 06:08 PM

They only return 3 players on offense and switching defensive alignments with what was the worst defense in America

Exactly. They were terrible last year and they lost all their difference makers. Gonna be a long couple of years for the bears.

msstate7
07-19-2019, 06:20 PM

In 2016, we were 110th in total defense. In 2017, we were 10th. OM is NOT gonna make that jump, but competent coaching can make a big difference. Is their DC competent? Well, we'll just have to see together

Dolphus Raymond
07-19-2019, 06:50 PM
“Competent coaching can make a big difference.”
Indeed.
The coaching changes should pay dividends, and Ole Miss getting to 6-6 is certainly possible. While my knowledge of football is somewhat limited, I just do not see Memphis beating them. Now, should they lose to both Memphis and Arkansas to open the season, Ole Miss will have an interim head coach by Halloween.

1bigdawg
07-19-2019, 07:22 PM
“Competent coaching can make a big difference.”
Indeed.
The coaching changes should pay dividends, and Ole Miss getting to 6-6 is certainly possible. While my knowledge of football is somewhat limited, I just do not see Memphis beating them. Now, should they lose to both Memphis and Arkansas to open the season, Ole Miss will have an interim head coach by Halloween.

Columbus Day

Schultzy
07-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Freshman.
No, freshmen is the plural and appropriate as used in the sentence provided.

MagicDawg
07-19-2019, 07:39 PM
Fixed it.

TNDawg35
07-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Shit y’all are crazy saying the Ark game for them is sure win. The UPigs own that Reb ass like Mangum owned Biancos!!

Todd4State
07-19-2019, 08:54 PM
In 2016, we were 110th in total defense. In 2017, we were 10th. OM is NOT gonna make that jump, but competent coaching can make a big difference. Is their DC competent? Well, we'll just have to see together

So can competent first round JUCO players like Montez Sweat and Jonathan Abrams. Not to mention guys like Simmons, Gerri Green, Jamal Peters, and Mark McLaurin growing up.

Jack Lambert
07-19-2019, 09:05 PM

And Ole Miss played 9 P-5 schools and only won two. They have basically suck with two of the best recruiting classes they have ever had and the past three years they have only 16 games. They lost all their offensive power. They are not suddenly getting better. You can say Memphis and Cal are not any good but lets be honest Ole Miss isn't any good either. I imagine their fans are feeling they will win that game.

ShotgunDawg
07-19-2019, 09:47 PM
So can competent first round JUCO players like Montez Sweat and Jonathan Abrams. Not to mention guys like Simmons, Gerri Green, Jamal Peters, and Mark McLaurin growing up.

Lol. Yes. Slightly different talent influx

msstate7
07-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Lol. Yes. Slightly different talent influx

Sirmon would've killed it in 2017, eh?

Jarius
07-20-2019, 12:35 AM
And Ole Miss played 9 P-5 schools and only won two. They have basically suck with two of the best recruiting classes they have ever had and the past three years they have only 16 games. They lost all their offensive power. They are not suddenly getting better. You can say Memphis and Cal are not any good but lets be honest Ole Miss isn't any good either. I imagine their fans are feeling they will win that game.

Like Shotgun said, some people obviously have no clue about what their talent level is right now. They are horrible and it does not matter if Nick Saban is coaching defense with Sean Payton coaching offense. They are going to suck ass this year. They are a touchdown underdog to Memphis. Cal and Arkansas are toss up games. The statistical likelihood of them starting 4-0 is probably under 10 % if odds were to be put on it (winning 3 50/50 games would be a probability of about 12 % and they are going to be an underdog in the first game so that % is a little high). Ole Miss starting 4-0 would not surprise some of our fans but some of our same fans would be surprised if we won 8 games, which is much more likely to happen odds wise.

Todd4State
07-20-2019, 01:18 AM
Sirmon would've killed it in 2017, eh?

I bet we would have been better than 2016.

Players that can play > a great coach. Coaches can only coach players up or down so much.

99jc
07-20-2019, 05:23 AM
I believe the rebels will be better than you think. They will not lose to Memphis High.
would love to see them go 0-12 me thinks 6-6 or 7-5

Jarius
07-20-2019, 06:08 AM
I believe the rebels will be better than you think. They will not lose to Memphis High.
would love to see them go 0-12 me thinks 6-6 or 7-5

Then you have a good opportunity to make a lot of money in Vegas because no one else does.

msstate7
07-20-2019, 06:41 AM
Then you have a good opportunity to make a lot of money in Vegas because no one else does.

ESPN FPI...
51.4% favorite over Memphis
73.4% favorite over ark
98.7% favorite over sela
73.0% favorite over cal

Jarius
07-20-2019, 06:59 AM
ESPN FPI...
73.4% favorite over ark
98.7% favorite over sela
73.0% favorite over cal

Their O/U is 4.5 or 5 at every sports book and they will be the gambling underdog or a pickem or an extremely slight favorite in every one of those except SELA. Like I said, if you can get someone dumb enough to give you odds of Ole Miss beating Arkansas and Cal at that %, you should jump all over it because people who do it for a living for money will never give that to you.

msstate7
07-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Their O/U is 4.5 or 5 at every sports book and they will be the gambling underdog or a pickem or an extremely slight favorite in every one of those except SELA.

I don't think they're winning but maybe 5 games out of this group: first 4, vandy, and nmsu. All I'm saying is those 4 games are hardly sure losses for them. That doesn't mean they're good bc they aren't

Jarius
07-20-2019, 07:11 AM
I don't think they're winning but maybe 5 games out of this group: first 4, vandy, and nmsu. All I'm saying is those 4 games are hardly sure losses for them. That doesn't mean they're good bc they aren't

Those 4 games individually are not sure losses, but it's very rare to win that many tossup games in a row. The chances of them starting 4-0 is extremely low and if you were to bet money on it you would get a huge ROI from that bet.

msstate7
07-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Those 4 games individually are not sure losses, but it's very rare to win that many tossup games in a row. The chances of them starting 4-0 is extremely low and if you were to bet money on it you would get a huge ROI from that bet.

That's why my first post in this thread was this...

"There's no way I'd put money on it, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were 4-0 headed in to Tuscaloosa"

With that said, I'll almost certainly take OM +6 against Memphis. I think it'll be close either way

Jarius
07-20-2019, 07:19 AM
That's why my first post in this thread was this...

"There's no way I'd put money on it, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were 4-0 headed in to Tuscaloosa"

With that said, I'll almost certainly take OM +6 against Memphis. I think it'll be close either way

If someone doing something with vegas odds of about 12 % doesn't shock you then not much shocks you in the football world. My initial statement stands.

msstate7
07-20-2019, 07:29 AM
If someone doing something with vegas odds of about 12 % doesn't shock you then not much shocks you in the football world. My initial statement stands.

They'll be the favorite in 3 of the 4. I will bet you on that if you disagree

Jarius
07-20-2019, 07:33 AM
They'll be the favorite in 3 of the 4. I will bet you on that if you disagree

If they are a favorite against Cal or Arkansas it will be less than a touchdown and probably a field goal or less. That's a toss up 50/50 type game. If they lose to Memphis, which they are currently a near td underdog, they won't be a favorite in any of them except SELA.

msstate7
07-20-2019, 07:36 AM
If they are a favorite against Cal or Arkansas it will be less than a touchdown and probably a field goal or less. That's a toss up 50/50 type game. If they lose to Memphis, which they are currently a near td underdog, they won't be a favorite in any of them except SELA.

Well you think Memphis is gonna win, so it's a good bet for you. What's the stakes?

Jarius
07-20-2019, 07:43 AM
Well you think Memphis is gonna win, so it's a good bet for you. What's the stakes?

"Ole Miss will be on the road at 11 am in the blaring hot sun at the end of August. 2 teams that can't stop anyone will be cramping up by the end of the first quarter. Take the over to the bank, whatever it is. Leave the points alone IMO."

That was what I said in the point spread thread. I don't know if they beat Memphis or not. I would lean to not but they could beat them. They could beat every one of those teams, but like both of us have said, it's very unlikely. I will bet you whatever you want to bet that they won't start 4-0, but you won't do that because you know you'd get much better odds at a casino because it's extremely unlikely to happen. You are doing a whole bunch of dancing to get around the fact that you are an MSU poor mouther and an Ole Miss apologist.

justwin
07-21-2019, 11:53 AM

- New QB

https://i.imgur.com/1j2fKn0.jpg

I've never understood why Bo tries so hard to inflate that extra 20% toward OM. I understand he's trying to sell, but it would be nice if he were more objective.

I agree with your post

My bold prediction for OM is that the rookie plumlee from Oak Grove will be starting QB midyear. Pyscho Matt is going to get hit hard and he's a timebomb for the sideline. I see OM going to default to a running QB Wing T type Offense this year. I'm expecting to see Plumlee / Ealy / Mingo / Elijah Moore as starters by Vandy so they can salvage the fanbase. If I'm OM, I'm starting Plumlee b/c he's not a headcase and can run that wing T O for Richrod.

If they fire Luke after 2019, I can't see them keeping either of the coordinators either. Is RichRod really going to be better than Longo?

msstate7
07-21-2019, 12:00 PM
ETA... forget it

Jarius
07-21-2019, 12:52 PM
I've never understood why Bo tries so hard to inflate that extra 20% toward OM. I understand he's trying to sell, but it would be nice if he were more objective.

I agree with your post

My bold prediction for OM is that the rookie plumlee from Oak Grove will be starting QB midyear. Pyscho Matt is going to get hit hard and he's a timebomb for the sideline. I see OM going to default to a running QB Wing T type Offense this year. I'm expecting to see Plumlee / Ealy / Mingo / Elijah Moore as starters by Vandy so they can salvage the fanbase. If I'm OM, I'm starting Plumlee b/c he's not a headcase and can run that wing T O for Richrod.

If they fire Luke after 2019, I can't see them keeping either of the coordinators either. Is RichRod really going to be better than Longo?

They have a very average OL and a pocket passing qb that can run a little bit (who is smallish for a qb) running the spread option. There is a good chance Plumlee will be starting simply because that hot head will get himself decapitated in that offense in this conference.

ShotgunDawg
07-21-2019, 01:04 PM
They have a very average OL and a pocket passing qb that can run a little bit (who is smallish for a qb) running the spread option. There is a good chance Plumlee will be starting simply because that hot head will get himself decapitated in that offense in this conference.

What about their OL personnel makes you think it'll be average?

Average would be impressive

ShotgunDawg
07-21-2019, 01:06 PM

It's all about building his listener base. He knows it's mostly MSU people that listen to his show and thus to build the listener base he needs more OM listeners.

My biggest issue with him is that he's real quick to be "realistic" even to the point being overly pessimistic but refuses to treat OM the same way. If they suck, they suck. Just say so.

Jarius
07-21-2019, 01:10 PM
What about their OL personnel makes you think it'll be average?

Average would be impressive

Well, Matt Luke is an OL guy and the system they are running is going to hide their Ol weaknesses a little bit with all of the options. I am also just trying not to be a complete homer and call all of their position groups trash although outside on just a couple a strong case can be made that that is in fact the case.

BiscuitEater
07-21-2019, 02:55 PM

And, OM could JUST as easily be 1-3 headed to play Bama. Best bet right now would be 2-2 with wins over hogs and SELA.

THE Bruce Dickinson
07-22-2019, 09:12 AM

They are receiving way too much credit in this thread. I think 5 is their ceiling, and are more likely to win 3. They only won 5 last year and they lost the starting QB, 2 NFL Wideouts, and their NFL left tackle.

The defense was miserable last year, and I don't foresee it getting much better. They are also switching to a 3-4, which often causes a lot of confusion in year 1.

They may have a few talented Freshman but not nearly enough to make them into a threat. In my opinion, they beat SELA, NMST, and one between Arkansas, Vandy, and Cal. Gonna be a rough year in Oxford. Luke needs to be shaping up his resume

1bigdawg
07-22-2019, 09:30 AM
They may have a few talented Freshman but not nearly enough to make them into a threat. In my opinion, they beat SELA, NMST, and one between Arkansas, Vandy, and Cal. Gonna be a rough year in Oxford. Luke needs to be shaping up his resume

Playing Arkansas, Cal and Vandy in Oxford is a big advantage for them this year. I can see them winning all three if their fans get out of the tree place and support their team.

The Memphis game is huge for them (and Luke's career) because it gives them a puncher's chance at 6 wins and a bowl. The don't have the talent to play with anyone else on the road or A&M or LSU at home.

What sucks for them is they don't have the manpower up front on either side of the ball and next year's schedule looks worse.

THE Bruce Dickinson
07-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Playing Arkansas, Cal and Vandy in Oxford is a big advantage for them this year. I can see them winning all three if their fans get out of the tree place and support their team.

The Memphis game is huge for them (and Luke's career) because it gives them a puncher's chance at 6 wins and a bowl. The don't have the talent to play with anyone else on the road or A&M or LSU at home.

What sucks for them is they don't have the manpower up front on either side of the ball and next year's schedule looks worse.

I agree with everything you said. If they can find a way to beat Memphis, they may have a chance to reach a bowl. Get blown out by Memphis in game 1, and fan support will be atrocious for an 11 AM SEC opener against Arkansas.

Also, they historically struggle with Arkansas and Vandy and Cal was pretty competitive last year and had some impressive wins (At USCw, Washington). Lose the first game and it could snowball quick, I personally think 2-10 is more likely than 6-6, but that's why we play the games.

TrapGame
07-22-2019, 10:05 AM
I agree with everything you said. If they can find a way to beat Memphis, they may have a chance to reach a bowl. Get blown out by Memphis in game 1, and fan support will be atrocious for an 11 AM SEC opener against Arkansas.

Also, they historically struggle with Arkansas and Vandy and Cal was pretty competitive last year and had some impressive wins (At USCw, Washington). Lose the first game and it could snowball quick, I personally think 2-10 is more likely than 6-6, but that's why we play the games.

Luke is gonna have to fire them up for Memphis. Lose that one and the season can spiral quick. If I'm the starting QB for Memphis I'm using a whole roll of tape on my ankles.

msstate7
07-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Luke is gonna have to fire them up for Memphis. Lose that one and the season can spiral quick. If I'm the starting QB for Memphis I'm using a whole roll of tape on my ankles.
Take don't hold bone together

TrapGame
07-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Take don't hold bone together

True. If Memphis is moving the ball and scoring on just about every possession in the 1st quarter the chances of their QB making it through the 2nd quarter goes down drastically.

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2019, 10:30 AM

They lose to Memphis and they will go 2-10. And, that's only because SELA and NMS are THAT bad.

msstate7
07-22-2019, 10:33 AM
They lose to Memphis and they will go 2-10. And, that's only because SELA and NMS are THAT bad.

Basically a must win for Luke if he wants to remain HC

Jarius
07-22-2019, 02:10 PM
Honestly the best thing for our program would be for them to win 6 games. If he completely tanks they will fire him. They are never going to be more than mediocre with him as head coach.

TrapGame
07-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Honestly the best thing for our program would be for them to win 6 games. If he completely tanks they will fire him. They are never going to be more than mediocre with him as head coach.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Rich Rod may have been told Luke was not going to last long and they would need a replacement soon. He got a wink and nudge. I don't think Rich Rod will be coaching with Luke's best interests as his own.

timotheus
07-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Give Rich a lil time to scan the salons in town and he'll be right at home.

Todd4State
07-22-2019, 03:33 PM
I've got a sneaking suspicion that Rich Rod may have been told Luke was not going to last long and they would need a replacement soon. He got a wink and nudge. I don't think Rich Rod will be coaching with Luke's best interests as his own.

This does feel a lot like our 2003 season when we had a bunch of former head coaches on staff and I think it was John Blake that was trying to get our job most of the time he was here per the rumors.

Jarius
07-22-2019, 09:41 PM

Good, because they will never be more than mediocre with him as head coach either

Goldendawg
07-22-2019, 11:05 PM
Read an article on Redcup Rebellion today on their defensive newcomers who will make a difference this year. They expect about 6-8 guys to start immediately, learn the 3-4 perfectly after fall practice starts, and take the right full place as #1 D in the SEC, if not the nation.

Jarius
07-22-2019, 11:41 PM
They have not signed 6-8 SEC quality defensive players (per recruiting rankings) since Hugh Freeze left. That should go well.

timotheus
07-23-2019, 04:42 AM
Now they are pumping Corral as a leader due to his swagger and how he defended his mates in the egg bowl. These turds say the rivalry is toxic but then just can't quit bringing it up. I guess it's kinda like the fact that they have never lost a party syndrome. what a mess

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2019, 07:50 AM
24K+ views on this thread.

Think the Rebs are insecure?

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2019, 07:53 AM
I think Luke will be replaced after the A&M game with the off week the following week.

msstate7
07-23-2019, 08:06 AM
I think Luke will be replaced after the A&M game with the off week the following week.

I doubt that. He's OM... if he's replaced, it'll be after the season imo

Jarius
07-23-2019, 08:34 AM
I doubt that. He's OM... if he's replaced, it'll be after the season imo

They also don't have an athletic director or a chancellor and won't have one until the end of the semester from what I have read. I doubt they make a move until that happens.

BuckyIsAB****
07-23-2019, 11:01 AM
ESPN FPI...
73.4% favorite over ark
98.7% favorite over sela
73.0% favorite over cal

They could win all of those and not be very good. They will be better than Arkansas, Cal is Cal and Memphis will be a dogfight but they probably pull it out as well

WPS
07-23-2019, 12:39 PM
They could win all of those and not be very good. They will be better than Arkansas, Cal is Cal and Memphis will be a dogfight but they probably pull it out as well

I really thought Arkansas was going to run away with it in last year's game, Hogs were up 27-10 at one point IIRC. Defense (predictably) collapsed in the last 2 minutes and gave up the game-winning 90+ yard drive for OM. Storey and Boyd both got knocked out with injuries during parts of the game then Arkansas couldn't move the ball at all in the 2nd half.

Probably going to be an ugly game either way this year.

TrapGame
07-23-2019, 01:25 PM
I really thought Arkansas was going to run away with it in last year's game, Hogs were up 27-10 at one point IIRC. Defense (predictably) collapsed in the last 2 minutes and gave up the game-winning 90+ yard drive for OM. Storey and Boyd both got knocked out with injuries during parts of the game then Arkansas couldn't move the ball at all in the 2nd half.

Probably going to be an ugly game either way this year.

Knee capping your starting QB really helped.

TALL DAWG
07-23-2019, 01:38 PM
Knee capping your starting QB really helped.

If UM has any injuries to their O-line they are in for
a long season. They are Razor thin there.
Going to be an up hill climb w/o any injuries to begin with.
I hope their QB and RB?s know how to take a pounding because
ITs coming...😱

Jarius
07-24-2019, 07:30 AM

I think saying they will be better than Arkansas is extremely premature. Chad Morris has a serviceable qb now and they would have beaten OM last year if they would not have gotten their QB hurt in the second qtr. Ole Miss plays them at home but from the look of their season ticket sales it won't be much of a home field advantage.

BrunswickDawg
07-24-2019, 01:04 PM
I think saying they will be better than Arkansas is extremely premature. Chad Morris has a serviceable qb now and they would have beaten OM last year if the dirty bastards hadn't targeted yet another QB and knocked them out of the gamein the second qtr. Ole Miss plays them at home but from the look of their season ticket sales it won't be much of a home field advantage.

FIFY

MedDawg
07-24-2019, 02:30 PM
FIFY

At one point they had three P5 wins in a row (over several losses and non-P5 wins) from knocking the other team's QB out of the game (State, Texas Tech, and Arkansas).

TrapGame
07-24-2019, 04:13 PM
I was looking over at NAFOOM about the murder investigation and noticed a thread discussing Rich Rod and it seems they think they are going to be somewhat formidable offensively this season.

timotheus
07-24-2019, 04:27 PM
he better find some magic dust then.

thf24
07-25-2019, 12:47 PM
I was looking over at NAFOOM about the murder investigation and noticed a thread discussing Rich Rod and it seems they think they are going to be somewhat formidable offensively this season.

They actually have pretty good skill personnel for Rich Rod's offense on their roster, but for that to yield results they'll have to have some crazy surprises on the OL.

Jarius
07-25-2019, 04:17 PM
They actually have pretty good skill personnel for Rich Rod's offense on their roster, but for that to yield results they'll have to have some crazy surprises on the OL.

They have a redshirt freshman pro style quarterback running the spread option. They lost 3 draft picks at wide receiver and will be playing a bunch of talented young guys ( per recruiting rankings ) with almost no experience.

thf24
07-25-2019, 04:30 PM
They have a redshirt freshman pro style quarterback running the spread option. They lost 3 draft picks at wide receiver and will be playing a bunch of talented young guys ( per recruiting rankings ) with almost no experience.

I don't believe Corral will be the starting QB for long, if at all; I see them moving Pellerin back to QB. They have several good running backs and enough at WR to run the zone read. Like I said though, none of that will matter a whole lot if their OL doesn't tremendously exceed expectations.

Jarius
07-26-2019, 02:49 AM
I don't believe Corral will be the starting QB for long, if at all; I see them moving Pellerin back to QB. They have several good running backs and enough at WR to run the zone read. Like I said though, none of that will matter a whole lot if their OL doesn't tremendously exceed expectations.

I mean they brought Corral to SEC media day. I think they are pretty locked in with him.

timotheus
07-26-2019, 06:58 AM
Corral has all the skills and he understands the O but his weakness is his lack of the calm leadership demeanor that an SEC QB needs. Rich Rod has made productive players out of less before.

thf24
07-26-2019, 08:31 AM
I mean they brought Corral to SEC media day. I think they are pretty locked in with him.

I'm not interested in arguing about OM too much more and I know you know more than me about this kind of stuff. But I can't help but think that after 4-5 games of the clown show that will be Corral trying to run the ball behind the OL they'll have, it will get really hard to ignore the senior sitting in their TE room who's played QB before and is a much better fit for what Rich Rod wants to do. Hell, if things get really bad I could even see them throwing Plumlee to the wolves; they've done much stupider things for the sake of perception before.

Corral has all the skills and he understands the O but his weakness is his lack of the calm leadership demeanor that an SEC QB needs. Rich Rod has made productive players out of less before.

I'd completely agree if they were going to have a decent OL. Imagine Tyler Russell trying to do the same things he was asked to do in 2012 behind our 2015 OL. I just feel like it'll be really hard to get anything going consistently with a weak runner in an offensive predicated on the threat of the QB run (even if he's not actually being asked to run a lot) with as poor a degree of blocking as they're likely going to have.

Jarius
07-26-2019, 08:45 AM
I'm not interested in arguing about OM too much more and I know you know more than me about this kind of stuff. But I can't help but think that after 4-5 games of the clown show that will be Corral trying to run the ball behind the OL they'll have, it will get really hard to ignore the senior sitting in their TE room who's played QB before and is a much better fit for what Rich Rod wants to do. Hell, if things get really bad I could even see them throwing Plumlee to the wolves; they've done much stupider things for the sake of perception before.

I'd completely agree if they were going to have a decent OL. Imagine Tyler Russell trying to do the same things he was asked to do in 2012 behind our 2015 OL. I just feel like it'll be really hard to get anything going consistently with a weak runner in an offensive predicated on the threat of the QB run (even if he's not actually being asked to run a lot) with as poor a degree of blocking as they're likely going to have.

I think there is a large % chance that Corral gets broken in half running that offense, so in a way I agree with you. I expect Plumlee to be their #2 option. He's been told that he will have packages put in for him and I think that's the direction they will go if that psycho they have playing qb currently blows a gasket and does something extremely stupid.