PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Recruiting

bulldogcountry1
07-18-2019, 07:54 AM
Prior to fairly recently, there seemed to be a gentleman's agreement in place for coaches to stop recruiting players after they have committed. You just never heard of a baseball recruit flipping. Actually, you didn't hear much at all about baseball recruiting. When Jarrod Parks came along and Cohen flipped him from Tulane, that seemed to cause a lot of hard feelings. That's really the first example I can remember.

It's starting to become more common, and I think it's the best opportunity for State to make up some ground on the scholarship disadvantages we have. I'm sure getting commits from junior high kids has it's place, even though I still can't wrap my head around it. Being able to go in and steal a committed D1 JR or SR could be a huge game changer, as opposed to filling needs with JUCOs. Look at the what Bama football does leading up to signing day. There are dozens of 4-stars committed to other schools just waiting for a last-minute offer from them. They can just pick and choose who they want to fill out their signing class. With the best stadium in the country, our history, and the atmosphere, we are set up perfectly to do something similar.

I know the college baseball coaching community is a tight-knit group, so I'm not saying we should go rogue and piss off every coach in the country trying to steal commitments. The staff just needs to continue to look for opportunities to find guys that want to come to State or just aren't comfortable with the commitment they made in the 8th grade. Say what you will about Andy C. He got us tanner Allen from LSU. If we could get two players every year like that, as opposed to last-minute JUCOs, then that could be what gets us over the hump.

Jarius
07-18-2019, 08:45 AM
I think not recruiting someone up until signing day and stopping recruiting them after they commit is the dumbest thing ever. Especially in a sport that has so few scholarships. What if a guy you offered and took a commitment from in the 10th grade does not progress? You just don't try and flip a senior that looks much better to be a nice guy? That is crazy to me.

ShotgunDawg
07-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Don't confuse, "continuing to recruit" vs "Call us if you have a change of heart"

In baseball, there is a gentlemen's agreement that you don't try to flip recruits, but that is different than calling & offering a kid that is already committed & telling him to reach out if he has a change of heart.

Baseball is this way because of how players are discovered. For example, lets say that Foxhall has a buddy that coaches at a D2 school out in South Carolina & that D2 coach sees a 15 year old throwing gas. He realizes that kid is probably too good for his D2 school, so he gives Fox a call & Fox then commits a kid. In reciprocation, Foxhall may see a kid that isn't quite good enough for MSU but may be a stud for the D2 school, so he tells his buddy about that player.

Point, due to the finances of the sport & lack of recruiting budget for many many college baseball programs, the recruiting & identifying process can at times be somewhat of a team effort & it's not right for the D2 coach to find that player & refer him to Foxhall, only to have that good deed ripped out from under him by Clemson or UNC flipping the kid.

Whether you agree or not, that's why baseball is the way it is.

bulldogcountry1
07-18-2019, 11:54 AM
I think not recruiting someone up until signing day and stopping recruiting them after they commit is the dumbest thing ever. Especially in a sport that has so few scholarships. What if a guy you offered and took a commitment from in the 10th grade does not progress? You just don't try and flip a senior that looks much better to be a nice guy? That is crazy to me.

Did you even read my post? Seriously.

BuckyIsAB****
07-18-2019, 08:18 PM
I am saying we should go rogue and piss off every coach in the country because we deserve a national championship. We have one of the most all in baseball fanbases in the country no reason not to go all in everywhere else. Im not saying cheat but I am saying if we hurt some feelings then so be it. Nothing Vandy has even comes close to us yet they have the best players. We should change that