bobcat91
07-16-2019, 01:51 PM
The search begins

Bothrops
07-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Let go or what?

mparkerfd20
07-16-2019, 02:11 PM
We might actually compete in softball now.

BiscuitEater
07-16-2019, 02:13 PM
We might actually compete in softball now.

Depends. We make another Rick Ray type hire and all bets are off.

mparkerfd20
07-16-2019, 02:15 PM

Cohen won't. He'd be smart to get someone plugged into the softball travel organizations.

DownwardDawg
07-16-2019, 02:35 PM

Stricklin is gone.

bobcat91
07-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Let go or what?

Yes, she was fired

BiscuitEater
07-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Cohen won't. He'd be smart to get someone plugged into the softball travel organizations.

What's Andy Cannizaro doing? Know he was 'plugged into' several ..

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2019, 02:45 PM

We had an ok year this year but it has been a while since we were off the bottom of the league. I think she only finished with a .500 record once in the SEC and never had a winning record. SEC softball is a really tough league though but we won between 3-10 SEC games every year with most being around 6-8 wins.

fader2103
07-16-2019, 02:56 PM
I hope Travis Wilson with FSU is on the radar. Coaches both offense and defense and is the main recruiter on staff I believe.

notsofarawaydawg
07-16-2019, 03:37 PM
One year late .. Tripp Mackay (formerly Oklahoma and Texas asst), now Kennessaw State head coach would have been a steal. Great hitting coach.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Kinda Interesting she was fired now and not a month ago.... most of your exposure tournaments are going on now.....our last game was May 19th.... almost two months ago.

Really Clark?
07-16-2019, 03:55 PM
I hope Travis Wilson with FSU is on the radar. Coaches both offense and defense and is the main recruiter on staff I believe.

If anyone hasn’t had a chance to read his Bio and career, do so. Played professional baseball (mostly in the Braves organization) and professional softball (started at 16). From New Zealand. Would be a great get...if he is ready to run a program and has his degrees. Not sure

Homedawg
07-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Kinda Interesting she was fired now and not a month ago.... most of your exposure tournaments are going on now.....our last game was May 19th.... almost two months ago.

The timing is very odd to say the least

Cooterpoot
07-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Wilson would be a good one. I suspect they already have the next guy lined up though. This really needed to happen.

Cooterpoot
07-16-2019, 04:13 PM
One year late .. Tripp Mackay (formerly Oklahoma and Texas asst), now Kennessaw State head coach would have been a steal. Great hitting coach.

Vastly overrated

confucius say
07-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Seems suspect. The timing and all.

sleepy dawg
07-16-2019, 04:39 PM

What we need is a good Sylvester Croom type hire to really garner some respect.

NWADAWG
07-16-2019, 04:45 PM
The timing is very odd to say the least

My hope is that the search / negotiation with the new coach has been going on behind the scenes and the change was announced after we closed the deal with our target. If so they will wait a short time (as a courtesy) and announce the new coach.

Really Clark?
07-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Seems suspect. The timing and all.

Well we did have 4 girls hit the transfer portal right after the season, then a really good freshman in Kinsey transferred to FL in early June, then a 6th player transferred mid June. A couple each year is pretty common, 6 is a lot

gravedigger
07-16-2019, 05:08 PM
What we need is a good Sylvester Croom type hire to really garner some respect.

Not necessary. Our fans will make whomever we hire out to be him.

Homedawg
07-16-2019, 05:10 PM
My hope is that the search / negotiation with the new coach has been going on behind the scenes and the change was announced after we closed the deal with our target. If so they will wait a short time (as a courtesy) and announce the new coach.

The season has been over and the World Series for a month. Don't buy that. This is odd.

Todd4State
07-16-2019, 06:11 PM
I liked Van as a coach from a personality standpoint. But at the same time I also think we can do better. I would really like to see the softball team become what the women's basketball team has become if at all possible.

But if not- can we just hire Jenny Finch?

BuckyIsAB****
07-16-2019, 08:50 PM
I liked Van as a coach from a personality standpoint. But at the same time I also think we can do better. I would really like to see the softball team become what the women's basketball team has become if at all possible.

But if not- can we just hire Jenny Finch?

Good luck with that. Bama, Auburn, LSU, UF, are all so far ahead of us we may not catch up in our lifetime

Todd4State
07-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Good luck with that. Bama, Auburn, LSU, UF, are all so far ahead of us we may not catch up in our lifetime

Meh. I bet that was said about Women's basketball ten years ago too.

I don't know that much about the softball recruiting culture but it sounds to me like someone with the right connections could make us a better program than we are right now at the very least.

preachermatt83
07-16-2019, 09:19 PM
Trae Embry. Winners win. I don’t care what level. Not to mention Dude could sell ice to an Eskimo. Lunderman would immediately transfer to state and pick back up where she left off.

Really Clark?
07-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Trae Embry. Winners win. I don’t care what level. Not to mention Dude could sell ice to an Eskimo. Lunderman would immediately transfer to state and pick back up where she left off.

Hailey is done with softball and been done. She could have been playing for the last 3 years if she wanted.

You had what? 3-4 JUCO’s open this season with ECCC now open since Eric left for MGCCC? None of them came calling for Trae nor did he interview.

Cooterpoot
07-16-2019, 09:56 PM

LOL...Hell naw

BuckyIsAB****
07-16-2019, 10:17 PM
Meh. I bet that was said about Women's basketball ten years ago too.

I don't know that much about the softball recruiting culture but it sounds to me like someone with the right connections could make us a better program than we are right now at the very least.

Well there was really only UT in womens hoops then SC and we have already caught them

NeshobaChuck
07-16-2019, 10:22 PM
Why not interview Tyler Bratton?? Dude bleeds Maroon and white and is pretty dang good coach if you ask me

Cooterpoot
07-16-2019, 10:24 PM
Not a Bratton fan as a HC. But we will probably get stuck with him. Could be why this went down like it did.

Dawg2003
07-16-2019, 10:30 PM
Well there was really only UT in womens hoops then SC and we have already caught them

LSU and UGA used to be really good.

preachermatt83
07-16-2019, 11:15 PM
Hailey is done with softball and been done. She could have been playing for the last 3 years if she wanted.

You had what? 3-4 JUCO’s open this season with ECCC now open since Eric left for MGCCC? None of them came calling for Trae nor did he interview.

Hahaha. He was contacted by EC and MGCCC. Actually MGCCC hires the man trae recommended when he told them he was not interested. Juco softball coaches make far less than he does where he is. Trust me on this.

preachermatt83
07-16-2019, 11:15 PM
If we hire Bratton we deserve what we get.

preachermatt83
07-16-2019, 11:17 PM

And wanna bet on lunderman?? I just asked her. She said she is done with softball unless embry ends up coaching in college.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-17-2019, 05:34 AM
Why not interview Tyler Bratton?? Dude bleeds Maroon and white and is pretty dang good coach if you ask me

No.

Cooterpoot
07-17-2019, 10:21 AM
And wanna bet on lunderman?? I just asked her. She said she is done with softball unless embry ends up coaching in college.

Then she’s done, because he’s never going to be our coach. Your man crush on him is over the top. Neshoba is loaded with talent now. A blind donkey could win there.
And Neel wont last long at Gulf Coast. He’s never anywhere long. There’s a reason.

Really Clark?
07-17-2019, 11:01 AM
Hahaha. He was contacted by EC and MGCCC. Actually MGCCC hires the man trae recommended when he told them he was not interested. Juco softball coaches make far less than he does where he is. Trust me on this.

What do you think he makes as a PE teacher/Softball coach? Beyond that, I don’t think he has a masters degree does he? Could be wrong but that eliminates him from even being considered at MSU.

Really Clark?
07-17-2019, 11:05 AM

Yeah, name you bet...odd a preacher wants to bet but I will definitely take you up on that. And she is done with softball period. No matter what Embry does. Period. She’s stated that numerous times since she quit.

He is a very good high school coach who has had great talent, much of which has been developed before high school. But he is not as good as you think and especially not at the SEC level. Ridiculous comparison

Homedawg
07-17-2019, 11:10 AM
I'm not aware of any rule saying a coach has to have a masters degree. And have no clue if Trey has one or not. With that said JC isn't hiring a guy from neshoba central to be his head coach. Not knocking him at all. He's won wherever he's been. But he's never recruited nor coached on this level.

Really Clark?
07-17-2019, 11:39 AM
I'm not aware of any rule saying a coach has to have a masters degree. And have no clue if Trey has one or not. With that said JC isn't hiring a guy from neshoba central to be his head coach. Not knocking him at all. He's won wherever he's been. But he's never recruited nor coached on this level.

Cohen likes coaches who have masters degrees and/or experience at the highest levels to compensate with just a bachelors degree. Although he did turn over the track & field job to someone on staff. Didn’t mean to say to was a rule requirement but at the top level of D1 and with Cohen, we wouldn’t consider bringing in a HS coach/PE Teacher. Much less one without a higher degree

WinningIsRelentless
07-17-2019, 11:51 AM
Some of y?all would seriously name a high school coach to be the head coach? The high school doesn?t even compete in the top division in the state.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-17-2019, 02:35 PM
Some of y?all would seriously name a high school coach to be the head coach? The high school doesn?t even compete in the top division in the state.

No....most High School coaches(especially in Mississippi) struggle at coaching high school Fast-pitch and Baseball....what you do is find the Fastpitch version of Vic (Top Assistant from a Top 10 Program).

WinningIsRelentless
07-17-2019, 02:44 PM
No....most High School coaches(especially in Mississippi) struggle at coaching high school Fast-pitch and Baseball....what you do is find the Fastpitch version of Vic (Top Assistant from a Top 10 Program).

Exactly. Travel ball coaches and private instructors do more for development than the HS coaches.

Todd4State
07-17-2019, 07:32 PM

That would be so Larry Templeton 1986.

preachermatt83
07-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Just for the record... trae has absolutely zero chance to be the coach at State. He and I are good friends and have been for a while. I just push him because we are friends. Neshoba is loaded with talent but he’s taken them up to a whole other level. He’s a big OM guy anyway. He has applied for exactly 1 college job and finished second in that process. Other than that he’s done nothing but decline overtures from about every high school and juco around.

Really Clark?
07-17-2019, 10:32 PM
Just for the record... trae has absolutely zero chance to be the coach at State. He and I are good friends and have been for a while. I just push him because we are friends. Neshoba is loaded with talent but he’s taken them up to a whole other level. He’s a big OM guy anyway. He has applied for exactly 1 college job and finished second in that process. Other than that he’s done nothing but decline overtures from about every high school and juco around.

And graduated from State

shoeless joe
07-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Exactly. Travel ball coaches and private instructors do more for development than the HS coaches.

Oh my...

preachermatt83
07-18-2019, 02:41 PM
And graduated from State

Yup.

RougeDawg
07-19-2019, 05:43 AM
Guess she just ?did not have it in her? after Don left for Florida.

mparkerfd20
07-22-2019, 11:22 AM
We promoted Ricketts to head coach. Wow.

Really Clark?
07-22-2019, 11:33 AM
She interviewed very well. I think the timing and who was actually interested in our job played a big part in who were viable candidates. She was already considered a good up and coming assistant before coming here. Honestly some of the names on the list, I would have gone Ricketts before some others as well. Hopefully she brings in a very good pitching coach.

mparkerfd20
07-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Ricketts has done a hell of a job with our offense for sure. For being a Pitching coach, Vann left a lot to be desired with our pitching and D. Hopefully Ricketts can right that ship. Ricketts was/is definitely an up and coming coach, but I still thought it was a little early for her to be HC material. There's GOT to be more to the Vann out story, but we'll probably never know.

Really Clark?
07-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Ricketts has done a hell of a job with our offense for sure. For being a Pitching coach, Vann left a lot to be desired with our pitching and D. Hopefully Ricketts can right that ship. Ricketts was/is definitely an up and coming coach, but I still thought it was a little early for her to be HC material. There's GOT to be more to the Vann out story, but we'll probably never know.

Maybe a little early for SEC? I can how someone think that but she’s been an assistant for nearly 10 years already. GA at OK, Assistant at Wichita St for 3 years then here since 2015 and was associate HC last year. I think it was any time now that she got a HC job but probably at a lower D1 level.

mparkerfd20
07-22-2019, 12:01 PM
Maybe a little early for SEC? I can how someone think that but she’s been an assistant for nearly 10 years already. GA at OK, Assistant at Wichita St for 3 years then here since 2015 and was associate HC last year. I think it was any time now that she got a HC job but probably at a lower D1 level.

Right that's what I meant. HC in the SEC. I'm surprised she wasn't hired by a lower level D1 and probably had some offers this year. Maybe Cohen just wanted to take a chance. It might pay off big time. Can't wait to find out.

Really Clark?
07-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Right that's what I meant. HC in the SEC. I'm surprised she wasn't hired by a lower level D1 and probably had some offers this year. Maybe Cohen just wanted to take a chance. It might pay off big time. Can't wait to find out.

Yeah me to. The players like her. Recruits well. Interested who she brings on staff. Maybe her sister