PDA

View Full Version : SEC leading the charge for baseball reform?

Todd4State
07-15-2019, 08:06 PM
Today Greg Sankey told the media that they were going to look at the third assistant and also the scholarship situation in college baseball. That's kind of vague.

But to me it makes me wonder if the SEC is going to tell the NCAA as a conference "We care about baseball, and we're going to do what we want to." That's what I HOPE happens. I think other conferences would fall in line with the SEC as well and I think we would finally maybe see the split into the people that care - SEC, ACC, PAC 12, Big 12, maybe Big 10, American Conference, C-USA, Sun Belt, and maybe Big West. Teams like Hawaii and Cal State Fullerton and Wichita State can join those conferences as baseball only members if they choose if they aren't in one already.

I think the third assistant is inevitable. It's going to happen within the next few years or sooner.

The looking at scholarships is a bit more interesting. I hope the SEC goes all out and says everyone in the league gets 26 full scholarships. We'll adjust our athletic departments to meet Title IX accordingly. Have fun.

It may be less than that. It could be 16.

It could also mean that teams won't be allowed to use endowment money on baseball players anymore.

We'll see but I hope the SEC leads the way this for the betterment of baseball. The impact on the SEC would be huge. I think you would see a few more players bypass the draft if they were full scholarship but I think the even bigger impact is you may see more guys stay for their fourth year because the way the system is set up now most college seniors are essentially walk-ons. That's OK if you're Jake Mangum and your family is able to afford that. But even in a white collar sport like baseball most families aren't going to want to do that or afford that.

Also if by chance the SEC is the only league that increases the scholarship totals you would see pretty much all of the best players from around the country flocking to the SEC even more than you do now. You would essentially have a league of 14 Vanderbilts. Of course if that happens I would expect other leagues to increase scholarship totals as well over a short period of time.

At any rate I think in the next 5-10 years we are going to see major changes in college baseball for the better that will probably benefit MSU.