PDA

View Full Version : Jackie finally has day in court.....UPDATE - NCAA ran away and Settled

Littleman
07-15-2019, 06:38 PM
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2019/07/15/former-msu-mississippi-state-university-football-coach-jackie-sherrill-ncaa-trial-begins/1732338001/

Maroonthirteen
07-16-2019, 08:03 AM
So....let?s say Jackie wins this lawsuit.

Would that set the case law for all other coaches and boosters (later not named in the infractions report) to file suit as well?

DownwardDawg
07-16-2019, 08:42 AM
I looked at the article. I love that picture of Jackie. I still miss his fire when we played teams like Alabama. We haven’t had that since. Dans balls shriveled up inside him when we played Bama.

smootness
07-16-2019, 09:29 AM
I looked at the article. I love that picture of Jackie. I still miss his fire when we played teams like Alabama. We haven’t had that since. Dans balls shriveled up inside him when we played Bama.

Mullen showed plenty of fire at times. The most common image of Sherrill was him standing stoically on the sideline writing on his clipboard, it's not like he was running up and down the sideline.

Maroonthirteen
07-16-2019, 11:15 AM

The 1998 game when JJ ran for over 200 yards. The 2000 game we beat them handily. .... when it was rumored Jackie was on his way out to Bama. The fans waved towels in appreciation. LT gave him a locker room presentation for all time winningest coach. Good times.

R2Dawg
07-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Mullen showed plenty of fire at times. The most common image of Sherrill was him standing stoically on the sideline writing on his clipboard, it's not like he was running up and down the sideline.

Yes both did; no one rages all the time. JWS had a fire to make MSU respected never backed down from anyone at anytime. JWS is true maroon and still the king of MSU football mountain (sorry Mullen). JWS proved you can win at MSU. He did it on game one in 1991 when we beat nationally ranked Texas at Scott Field on national TV and he never let up.

msbulldog
07-16-2019, 12:08 PM
So....let?s say Jackie wins this lawsuit.

Would that set the case law for all other coaches and boosters (later not named in the infractions report) to file suit as well?

3 year statue of limitations on civil tort.

DownwardDawg
07-16-2019, 12:55 PM

He always looked like he was in control and in charge. The image I have of Mullen is that lost, deer in the headlights look he always had when things weren’t going his way. That, and the “oh well” shoulder shrug he loved so much.

Goldendawg
07-16-2019, 01:52 PM
Article from USA Today trending on MSN.com Sports right now. Says Rick Cleveland one of 20 jurors selected. Guy in a maroon and white jacket with a MS baseball didn't make the cut. Defense says NCAA investigators did everything by the book, yeah right.** Also say that Jackie had stated that he was going to retire anyway and didn't hurt his future job chances in FB. Judge states he wants everyone on roller skates, ready to move fast. This 3 year witch hunt helped ruin our recruiting and Jackie's last three years. Hail Jackie! Hail State!

Drugdog
07-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Article from USA Today trending on MSN.com Sports right now. Says Rick Cleveland one of 20 jurors selected. Guy in a maroon and white jacket with a MS baseball didn't make the cut. Defense says NCAA investigators did everything by the book, yeah right.** Also say that Jackie had stated that he was going to retire anyway and didn't hurt his future job chances in FB. Judge states he wants everyone on roller skates, ready to move fast. This 3 year witch hunt helped ruin our recruiting and Jackie's last three years. Hail Jackie! Hail State!

I was in the jury pool. Rick Cleveland was NOT picked. A guy in a State jacket was not picked, that is true. Also, an older gentleman who had on a black MSU baseball hat, and MSU belt was not picked either. I was not picked either. A lot of questions about whether you are a State fan or Ole Miss fan. I mentioned that i had a picture taken with my daughter and the King about 18 years ago, and i think that was it for me. Picking the jurors took from 8;30 till 3pm. Jackie looked sharp as usual. Took copious amount of notes. Hope he gets justice.

Goldendawg
07-16-2019, 02:35 PM
I was in the jury pool. Rick Cleveland was NOT picked. A guy in a State jacket was not picked, that is true. Also, an older gentleman who had on a black MSU baseball hat, and MSU belt was not picked either. I was not picked either. A lot of questions about whether you are a State fan or Ole Miss fan. I mentioned that i had a picture taken with my daughter and the King about 18 years ago, and i think that was it for me. Picking the jurors took from 8;30 till 3pm. Jackie looked sharp as usual. Took copious amount of notes. Hope he gets justice.

Sorry, I misread. Says Rick Cleveland will be one of 20 total witnesses called for both sides. I don't know how to link it. Hail Jackie! Hail State!

shannondawg
07-16-2019, 05:15 PM
I know Jim Waide and his wife Rachel, he is originally from West Point my ole home town. When he started out, he was kinda a joke to the other lawyers, but it didn't take them long to figure they didn't want to go against him. He just had a passion about him in the court room. I was in the jury pool once, he fought like hell to keep me off, but I wound up voting for his client. Pissed some of my lawyer friends off, but I had no reason not to vote for what I thought was right. It was kinda a david and Goliath trial and I voted for David.

I guarantee he will make it interesting.

Johnson85
07-16-2019, 05:25 PM

Was the judge allowing jurors to be struck for cause just for being a state fan or ole miss fan?

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Yes both did; no one rages all the time. JWS had a fire to make MSU respected never backed down from anyone at anytime. JWS is true maroon and still the king of MSU football mountain (sorry Mullen). JWS proved you can win at MSU. He did it on game one in 1991 when we beat nationally ranked Texas at Scott Field on national TV and he never let up.

Do you have dementia?

I’m a Kang fan as well, but you must’ve forgotten numerous years.

shannondawg
07-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Jackie wasn't around much when things started going downhill, family problems, brother dying act. If you remember he couldn't call players by their name only numbers, he would mainly show up and read the game plan before coaching the games.

But boy did he give us a ride when things were going good.

When he first got here, I actually bought an rv to follow him to a national championship, but we did get to atlanta and came a split second when we missed a tackle or would have been sec champs.

DownwardDawg
07-16-2019, 06:35 PM
Jackie wasn't around much when things started going downhill, family problems, brother dying act. If you remember he couldn't call players by their name only numbers, he would mainly show up and read the game plan before coaching the games.

When he first got here, I actually bought an rv to follow him to a national championship, but we did get to atlanta and came a split second when we missed a tackle or would have been sec champs.

He’s still the King of MSU football.

viverlibre
07-16-2019, 06:51 PM
He?s still the King of MSU football.

I concur with this, but the west was (for the most part) down during Jackie's tenure. Had he faced the same competition Mullen faced, he'd likely been less successful.

shannondawg
07-16-2019, 07:16 PM
I agree 100% and only one that has come back and supported MSU and our teams.

Just was pointing out why things went south, and maybe his problems were too much for him to handle.

R2Dawg
07-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Do you have dementia?

First, what is your reason for the insult? I didn't forget anything but you must not have followed MSU football very long. No one said he was MSU Saban.

Second, when did I say he didn't have a few bad years? Who in MSU history hasn't had some, especially in 13 years? JWS won and did things no other coach has done. Fact and I respect the heck out of him for it and the way he went about it.

Liverpooldawg
07-16-2019, 08:02 PM
I agree 100% and only one that has come back and supported MSU and our teams.

Just was pointing out why things went south, and maybe his problems were too much for him to handle.

Rocky Felker begs to differ.

Liverpooldawg
07-16-2019, 08:03 PM
Do you have dementia?

Why the insult?

shannondawg
07-17-2019, 07:46 AM
Rocky was hired. Kang came on his own just to visit.

Nothing against Rocky tho. A true bulldog.

shannondawg
07-17-2019, 07:48 AM
Rocky Felker begs to differ.

Rocky came back as an asst coach.

smootness
07-17-2019, 08:33 AM
He always looked like he was in control and in charge. The image I have of Mullen is that lost, deer in the headlights look he always had when things weren?t going his way. That, and the ?oh well? shoulder shrug he loved so much.

The image of Sherrill from that article was during a 45-13 loss in the middle of a season in which we lost 7 games by 25+ points. Images can be misleading.

msbulldog
07-17-2019, 12:19 PM
I know Jim Waide and his wife Rachel, he is originally from West Point my ole home town. When he started out, he was kinda a joke to the other lawyers, but it didn't take them long to figure they didn't want to go against him. He just had a passion about him in the court room. I was in the jury pool once, he fought like hell to keep me off, but I wound up voting for his client. Pissed some of my lawyer friends off, but I had no reason not to vote for what I thought was right. It was kinda a david and Goliath trial and I voted for David.

I guarantee he will make it interesting.

I once rented a building from Josh Stevens.

msbulldog
07-17-2019, 12:21 PM

Or that phantom pass interference call.

MadDawg
07-17-2019, 03:23 PM
anyone hearing the same?

R2Dawg
07-17-2019, 03:42 PM
I concur with this, but the west was (for the most part) down during Jackie's tenure. Had he faced the same competition Mullen faced, he'd likely been less successful.

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to compare eras. No dominant one team like Bama then but Bama did win a NC while Jackie was there and in 1992 it was the toughest closest game Bama had all year.

Auburn had some real good teams. 97 we beat SEW champ Aub 20-0 at Auburn. When did that happen in Mullen era? Easy to go to bowl now, not so much then. 97 team was dang good, 7-4 and sat at home. Ark was real good in 90s, not so much now. LSU good. Wasn't really a bad program for long stretches in 90s. All were pretty good. Today the division is bigger with TAMU so there is that, but we did beat TAMU in a bowl just for good measure. Just hard to compare eras.

But again, who has accomplished what JWS did? Mullen 2nd by a good margin then the rest of the pack with Croom at the rear. That is the way MSU football history looks to me having followed since early 70s.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-17-2019, 03:47 PM
I don't know. But the Sheriff of Madison County just posted on his personal facebook page that they settled.

mstatefan91
07-17-2019, 03:51 PM
per Rosebowl: "Told that after a day and a half of testimony that the two parties reached a settlement. Sherrill can now resume employment at an NCAA member institution in an administrative, coaching or fundraising capacity. He is not restricted in anyway by the NCAA."

Pollodawg
07-17-2019, 05:20 PM
We should find a place for him like an hour ago.

Dolphus Raymond
07-17-2019, 05:46 PM
This x 1000.

shannondawg
07-17-2019, 05:53 PM
As usual I wasn't impressed with the fish wrapper article. Not near as much information if the NCAA had won.

Maybe Rosebowl will come up with the nitty gritty.

LC Dawg
07-17-2019, 06:11 PM

Director of Compliance

BrunswickDawg
07-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Director of Compliance

New tires for everyone!

Lord McBuckethead
07-17-2019, 06:17 PM
If I were Jackie, I would let it be known exactly the terms of the settlement.
Damn, the NCAA has zero balls when push comes to shove.

DanDority
07-17-2019, 06:18 PM
No matter who's in Vegas, Jackie will always be the KANG!

Pollodawg
07-17-2019, 06:32 PM
If I were Jackie, I would let it be known exactly the terms of the settlement.
Damn, the NCAA has zero balls when push comes to shove.

Likely signed a non-disclosure agreement.

Turfdawg67
07-17-2019, 06:34 PM
The image of Sherrill from that article was during a 45-13 loss in the middle of a season in which we lost 7 games by 25+ points. Images can be misleading.

Man... the end was soooo bad.

MetEdDawg
07-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Likely signed a non-disclosure agreement.

Article written by 24/7 stated that non disclosure was in fact part of the terms of the settlement.

Dolphus Raymond
07-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Hire The KANG!! as a fundraiser, or whatever we can dream up but, put Jackie Sherrill on the payroll ASAP.

MaroonFlounder
07-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Rocky came back as an asst coach.

Rocky is a MSU Alum. He would have been back frequently even if he had not been hired onto the staff.

Saltydog
07-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know why this lawsuit drug out for almost 15 years?

Pollodawg
07-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Article written by 24/7 stated that non disclosure was in fact part of the terms of the settlement.

Usually is.

Pollodawg
07-17-2019, 08:03 PM
Just make Jackie quality control. Let him have a hand in special teams. I don’t care. Hell, just give him an office and some title. Lol Keep it well-stocked with pens, notepads, castraters, and massive rings.

Saltydog
07-17-2019, 08:08 PM
Has to have shelves for all of his "clown" memorabilia...?.Some here will remember the SI article from the 90's that showed him dressed in his full clown costume and all of his clown figurines in the background...?

Todd4State
07-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Just make Jackie quality control. Let him have a hand in special teams. I don’t care. Hell, just give him an office and some title. Lol Keep it well-stocked with pens, notepads, castraters, and massive rings.

I would make him an analyst in charge of scouting Alabama and Mississippi.

Should help keep the toxicity down.**

BrunswickDawg
07-17-2019, 08:16 PM
I would make him an analyst in charge of scouting Alabama and Mississippi.

Should help keep the toxicity down.**

Put him in charge of injury reports -

"47 has a knee. 13 has an ankle. 75 has a beer belly..."

Dawg61
07-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Has to have shelves for all of his "clown" memorabilia...?.Some here will remember the SI article from the 90's that showed him dressed in his full clown costume and all of his clown figurines in the background...?

I've seen the full clown outfit in person. He goes all out and doesn't break character. Not sure if he still does it since the movie "It" came out though.

Pollodawg
07-17-2019, 08:38 PM

“Who is This Clown?” SI article came out maybe a year or so after we hired Jackie. People forget what a big name he was in coaching at one time. It was really kind of a coup for MSU to get the guy, and we got him for 90k a year back then. He made like a quarter-mil a year at Texas AM in the 80s. That was the highest any college football coach had ever been paid, obscene money. That’s how tarnished his star was.

But he’s really a genius in his way. Football was all the guy knew, and he was a tough SOB when he was a kid, apparently.

Dolphus Raymond
07-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Athletic fundraiser. Who among us would not write a check if asked by The King himself? I’m serious. Jackie could raise a pile of money

Mjoelner34
07-17-2019, 09:08 PM
Slight Hijack: Not about the trial but about Jackie.

I used to see him a lot on the weekends during football season at the Veranda. One night as he and Peggy were leaving, I was out on the veranda at the Veranda and I told him I had a couple of questions for him. I asked him when A&M joined the SEC was he going to root for us in Starkville and them when we played in Texas (even though the administration hated him, their fans still loved him). Before he could answer, Peggy said "Hell no! We're ALL Dog!" Jackie just grinned and pointed at her over his shoulder with his thumb and said "What she said." Secondly I asked him about his pre-season predictions he'd make then seal in an envelope. I asked how close he came to guessing the actual record. "Believe it or not, pretty close. Now I'm not going to tell you I got all of the games right but I usually got the win loss total or was only off by one. Sometimes we'd win one I counted as a loss and lose one I counted as a win."

Goldendawg
07-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Hope one of you , savvy types will post the trial testimony asap. Hail the one and only Kang Jackie! Wonder where we would have been back then without this witch hunt. Virtually every time we really got good in my MSU football life, UM and the crooked NCAA did everything possible to "keep us in our place", the Tyler years and the end of the Kang's years. We should appeal to the NCAA to have our 19 forfeits under Tyler returned to our record as the victories they are. Hail State!

ScoobaDawg
07-17-2019, 11:21 PM
Today reminded me how much I hate UM.... thank goodness Jackie finally got his day.

Commercecomet24
07-17-2019, 11:31 PM
Slight Hijack: Not about the trial but about Jackie.

I used to see him a lot on the weekends during football season at the Veranda. One night as he and Peggy were leaving, I was out on the veranda at the Veranda and I told him I had a couple of questions for him. I asked him when A&M joined the SEC was he going to root for us in Starkville and them when we played in Texas (even though the administration hated him, their fans still loved him). Before he could answer, Peggy said "Hell no! We're ALL Dog!" Jackie just grinned and pointed at her over his shoulder with his thumb and said "What she said." Secondly I asked him about his pre-season predictions he'd make then seal in an envelope. I asked how close he came to guessing the actual record. "Believe it or not, pretty close. Now I'm not going to tell you I got all of the games right but I usually got the win loss total or was only off by one. Sometimes we'd win one I counted as a loss and lose one I counted as a win."

Peggy Sherrill is a gem! She's quite the lady and she is ALL Dawg!

BuckyIsAB****
07-18-2019, 12:52 AM
We should definitely find a place for Jackie. He may take it or not, Im sure he is doing fine whatever he is into now but man it would be fun to see him involved again doing something

msbulldog
07-18-2019, 06:22 AM
Does anyone know why this lawsuit drug out for almost 15 years?

Over 650 court filings that had to be ruled on separately.

Saltydog
07-18-2019, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=msbulldog;1128607]Over 650 court filings that had to be ruled on separately.[/QUOTE

WOW! That's almost unreal. I can't remember ever seeing a lawsuit that lasted that long.

Dolphus Raymond
07-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Over the years, I had always assumed that the story regarding the “working relationship” between the NCAA investigator and the female Ole Miss booster was an urban legend of sorts. Clearly, my assumption was incorrect.

TrapGame
07-18-2019, 07:53 PM
I haven't seen this posted yet.

Rosebowl was on Bo this am and he said the testimony against the NCAA was devastating. The first day was bad but the second day was the NCAA's ass on a silver platter. They were begging for a settlement before day two was even over.

bobtail bob
07-18-2019, 08:42 PM
Larry Templeton knew all this at the time too just like Jackie and didn't say shit . Just let them railroad a guy out his career while he sat on his hands.

RougeDawg
07-19-2019, 05:37 AM
Larry Templeton knew all this at the time too just like Jackie and didn't say shit . Just let them railroad a guy out his career while he sat on his hands.

Jackie and LT never had a good working relationship. He would cuss LT like a sailor for his ineptness. LT never had his back from the very beginning.

Jackie is a family friend, as he graduated high school with my aunt and used to eat dinner at my grandparents regularly in high school. He had a rough childhood and was a tough SOB as someone else posted.

Not sure if he still owns some car dealerships and cattle ranches in Texas, but he was doing this things in Texas after he left Starkville, among other things.