PDA

View Full Version : Nick Weatherspoon

jdelta02
07-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Had Lamar Peters the last 3 seasons.
Before that IJ Ready and Malik Newman

Brings us to now, and the 2019-20 season....
Any thoughts on Nick Weatherspoon starting at point guard next season for Miss. State? Very physically explosive athlete, leaper. Tough player that goes hard. The other two primary candidates are Tyson Carter and Iverson Molinar.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2019, 02:14 PM
He is the best chance we have of getting a PG drafted since Dee Bost. He has the physical ability and defensive intensity to play in the NBA. Hopefully he has all of the off the court things straightened out. I think he was the difference in the Sweet 16 last year and getting bounced out in the first round.

chef dixon
07-12-2019, 02:56 PM
I'd like to know what his status is

Johnson85
07-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Any thoughts on Nick Weatherspoon starting at point guard next season for Miss. State? Very physically explosive athlete, leaper. Tough player that goes hard. The other two primary candidates are Tyson Carter and Iverson Molinar.

Nick was probably a better PG than Peters, I think he was just better suited between the two to play off the ball. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised at how the offense operates with him running the point.

Coach34
07-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Nick is going to have to sit a few games to start 2019- but then he will be good to go. We have a few football players that will sit a game or two to start the season also

DawgRockur
07-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Nick is going to have to sit a few games to start 2019- but then he will be good to go. We have a few football players that will sit a game or two to start the season also

Fake news. Nick will play game one. We have two football players that will sit one game.

Goldendawg
07-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Fake news. Nick will play game one. We have two football players that will sit one game.

Don't want names, but why, academic issues?

Coach34
07-12-2019, 05:28 PM

I hope so- and we will see. But last I heard Nick was going to sit a few more to make sure.

timotheus
07-12-2019, 05:49 PM
I was told also that Nick would miss multiple games. Oh well

Dawg61
07-12-2019, 06:55 PM
We should be a more consistent team with Nick running point every game.

Coach34
07-12-2019, 07:09 PM
I was told also that Nick would miss multiple games. Oh well

Ive already saved this thread for November

HoopsDawg
07-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Yes, Nick is going to be the PG and he's going to be damn good. Nick and Reggie are big time. Carter brings some things to the floor. Ado is our defensive guy. Woodard is the key. We need him to make a big leap offensively.

Dawg61
07-12-2019, 08:19 PM
I'm betting our two highest scores per average this year are Carter and Perry and then it'll be a little bit of a drop down to Nick and Woodard as the 3rd and 4th highest. Tyson is going to have some 30+ point games this year. (feels weird calling it next year and also calling it this year but y'all know I'm speaking of 19-20 season)

maroonmania
07-12-2019, 08:35 PM
I hope so- and we will see. But last I heard Nick was going to sit a few more to make sure.

Make sure of what? Our university administration feels he has 'learned his lesson'? This is all in house stuff so if they weren't going to kick him out (which was ok by me if that was the policy) then its time to be done with it. He already sat out the most meaningful part of last season. What good does it do to make him sit out a few non-conference games this year?

MCsMGs
07-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Whether Nick sits out a couple of games or not will be of NO consequence to this team's success next season...

maroonmania
07-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Whether Nick sits out a couple of games or not will be of NO consequence to this team's success next season...

Agreed, but it still doesn't make them sitting him additional games, if they do, any less stupid.

msstate7
07-12-2019, 09:06 PM
I'm betting our two highest scores per average this year are Carter and Perry and then it'll be a little bit of a drop down to Nick and Woodard as the 3rd and 4th highest. Tyson is going to have some 30+ point games this year. (feels weird calling it next year and also calling it this year but y'all know I'm speaking of 19-20 season)

I think carter has a huge year too

Dawg61
07-12-2019, 09:21 PM
I think carter has a huge year too

Yea I'm excited for him. He can flat out score and he does it in bunches. People underestimate his quickness and athleticism too. He gets overlooked. I think he has an outside chance of finishing top ten all-time on the scoring list. I believe if my math is correct he needs 599 points to finish ahead of Jamont Gordon for 10th highest and could possibly get as high as 6th if he really has a freakish year. Release the Kraken!

jdelta02
07-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Robert Woodard- physical, versatile athlete. Defends, rebounds, scores, ect. Feel good that he can score the ball well if needed. Lot depends on what the team needs from him.

Kinda reminds you of a combination of Admiral Schofield and Grant Williams type athlete.

RougeDawg
07-14-2019, 07:09 PM

Hahahahahahaha. I?ve been posting about this since February. Nick will be lucky to ever play another game in maroon. Same as some football players. Can some of you not read between the damn lines and hints I?ve been dropping for months? There is a reason SloMo went after a transfer QB. Get your head out of the damn sand.

Golden dawg, you know the answer to your question.

CadaverDawg
07-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Yes, Nick is going to be the PG and he's going to be damn good. Nick and Reggie are big time. Carter brings some things to the floor. Ado is our defensive guy. Woodard is the key. We need him to make a big leap offensively.

All Woodard needs is for Howland to put his ass on the court more imo. I think he will have a good year

R2Dawg
07-14-2019, 07:52 PM
Robert Woodard- physical, versatile athlete. Defends, rebounds, scores, ect. Feel good that he can score the ball well if needed. Lot depends on what the team needs from him.

Kinda reminds you of a combination of Admiral Schofield and Grant Williams type athlete.

Agree. I love Woodards game and attitude. I think he is the glue on this team and the difference in us making a run. Of course everyone has to play their role but Woodard is the heart of this team, the way he plays.

Cowbell
07-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Hahahahahahaha. I?ve been posting about this since February. Nick will be lucky to ever play another game in maroon. Same as some football players. Can some of you not read between the damn lines and hints I?ve been dropping for months? There is a reason SloMo went after a transfer QB. Get your head out of the damn sand.

Please elaborate...

Homedawg
07-14-2019, 09:51 PM

We have more than two football players sitting games. You are wrong.

Cooterpoot
07-14-2019, 11:16 PM
Y’all will be ready to fire Howland after next season.

Dawg61
07-15-2019, 12:34 AM

Nah. Some of us still remember Rick Ray.

louisvilledawg
07-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Isn't this upcoming season going to be Howland's last? I thought I read somewhere where he said he had kinda lost the fire and wanted to be with his grandkids or something.

Johnson85
07-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Are you talking about because of suspensions? Or do you just have low expectations for the team?

I doubt I'll be ready to fire Howland regardless next year (barring NCAA issues where we have to cut bait). He hasn't lived up to my very high expectations, but I think for the most part, if you had asked people during Rick Ray's tenure if we would like a coach that could get us to the NIT semifinals in Year 3 and NCAA in year 4, they'd have asked to sign them up.

Johnson85
07-15-2019, 11:19 AM

So you're thinking Nick stuck around without a guarantee that he will play next year? I mean, it's possible. I certainly don't have any inside info. But if you don't have some very good inside info, it certainly looks like a stupid statement.

msstate7
07-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Assuming nick can handle the point, and I'm not sure he can, I think this team will be better than last year. I really think our inside/outside scoring with Tyson and Perry is gonna be big time

Ifyouonlyknew
07-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Assuming nick can handle the point, and I'm not sure he can, I think this team will be better than last year. I really think our inside/outside scoring with Tyson and Perry is gonna be big time

He can

msstate7
07-15-2019, 11:42 AM
He can

Then I think we're better than last year

Tbonewannabe
07-15-2019, 01:24 PM

If Perry is the lottery pick type talent that he showed this summer then we could be better. I reserve judgement until I see someone replace how clutch Q was late in games.

Dawg61
07-15-2019, 02:30 PM
I think we'll be better this year. Tennessee should be a lot worse and Auburn is gonna drop some too with Brown & Okeke gone. I don't see why we can't finish top 4 SEC. Kentucky, Florida, LSU as the other top 3.

tcdog70
07-15-2019, 03:17 PM

he has already played the point.. so why are you not sure?

msstate7
07-15-2019, 03:21 PM
he has already played the point.. so why are you not sure?

Well, you know me... I'm skeptical of a lot (lol). For real though, I don't remember him playing it for longer than a series or 2 at a time

Dawg61
07-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Nick ran point most the time Peters was on the bench. Q and Tyson ran it some too.

Bothrops
07-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Isn't this upcoming season going to be Howland's last? I thought I read somewhere where he said he had kinda lost the fire and wanted to be with his grandkids or something.

What?

Ari Gold
07-16-2019, 09:20 AM

We were going after a QB long before the situation with Nick and others took place.
And I feel 99% confident if Nick thought he wouldnt be playing here in 2019/2020 he would have transferred or declared for the draft.

MCsMGs
07-16-2019, 10:48 AM
We were going after a QB long before the situation with Nick and others took place.
And I feel 99% confident if Nick thought he wouldnt be playing here in 2019/2020 he would have transferred or declared for the draft.

And Coach Howland wouldn't be stating in public on numerous occasions that He would be our starting PG this season...

fishwater99
07-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Then I think we're better than last year

Who is the backup PG?

msstate7
07-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Who is the backup PG?

Ado**

Probably Tyson or one of the incoming freshmen

Ifyouonlyknew
07-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Who is the backup PG?

Iverson Molinar

Homedawg
07-16-2019, 09:00 PM
And Coach Howland wouldn't be stating in public on numerous occasions that He would be our starting PG this season...

Nowhere did he say he was starting every game, cause he won't. He and several football players as previously stated. Although I'm sure I'll get the clown tell me again that this has nothing to do w football again....

MCsMGs
07-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Nowhere did he say he was starting every game, cause he won't. He and several football players as previously stated. Although I'm sure I'll get the clown tell me again that this has nothing to do w football again....

Nowhere did I say that he said he would start every game...He DID say that Nick would be the starting PG next year, which I interpret to mean that Coach seems to think he will be back. THAT is the context of that statement.

bigplayslay
07-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned DJ Stewart yet. I think he'll be solid off the bench.

StarkVegasSteve
07-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned DJ Stewart yet. I think he'll be solid off the bench.

DJ will be a hell of a player for us. Has ridiculous bounce.

Tbonewannabe
07-18-2019, 02:13 PM

He is more of a 2/3 similar to Q isn't he? I know a lot of people thought he would have an impact as a freshman but with the logjam we had with Peters, Nick, Tyson, Q, and Woodard there wasn't any minutes left. Hopefully he breaks out this year.

KentuckyDawg13
07-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Agree, DJ is going to be a very welcome addition. Along with Prince Aduro too. If we can get some strong Center production, this team could be a sweet 16 level.

Coach34
08-22-2019, 07:56 PM

1st of many bumps for trolling dumbasses. This Fall is going to be fun

Dawg61
08-22-2019, 08:15 PM

It's going to be fun having players suspended in two sports? Wut

confucius say
08-22-2019, 08:18 PM

Imagine saying auburn will be 10-2 and calling others dumbasses. My $200 bet that auburn does not go 10-2 regular season is still on the table.

Coach34
08-22-2019, 08:25 PM
Imagine saying auburn will be 10-2 and calling others dumbasses. My $200 bet that auburn does not go 10-2 regular season is still on the table.

Auburn is the best team in the country in the trenches. They play a rough schedule so no- there will be no $200 bet on 10-2 as they could drop a 3rd to a very good football team. Especially in a sport where injuries play such a big part. But bottom line- Auburn is one of the 10 best teams in the country.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-22-2019, 08:25 PM

To be fair there were plenty who said Nick would never play another game at MSU & that's going to be proven wrong also.

Captain Falcon
08-22-2019, 08:28 PM

You are the kind of fan who doesn’t care if he’s an insufferable jerk about something as long as he gets to say “I told you so”. So you know, the absolute worst kind of fan. There are some quality posters who provide good insight on this board. You are not one of them.

Homedawg
08-22-2019, 08:47 PM
You are the kind of fan who doesn?t care if he?s an insufferable jerk about something as long as he gets to say ?I told you so?. So you know, the absolute worst kind of fan. There are some quality posters who provide good insight on this board. You are not one of them.

Well to be honest, most of the board spends their time telling him he's wrong. And in this case he's been told by way more he's wrong than right. Soooo, the fact he's bringing it back up is not only not shocking, it's expected. Because, if and when he is wrong, people do it to him. And honestly, like him or hate him, he does bring info to the board. And obviously an opinion or two. And he like most on here just wants us to win. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. Almost positive.

DawgRockur
08-22-2019, 08:49 PM

If you would just leave and never post again, this board would be a better place.
Get a life and focus on actually keeping a job, instead of a message board.

You slowly weaseled your way back into board, which was unfortunate. You should quickly sprint your way back out.

Coach34
08-22-2019, 08:56 PM
If you would just leave and never post again, this board would be a better place.
Get a life and focus on actually keeping a job, instead of a message board.

You slowly weaseled your way back into board, which was unfortunate. You should quickly sprint your way back out.

You were wrong and you are a moron. This wont be last time you get called out. Take your medicine

Coach34
08-22-2019, 08:57 PM
Well to be honest, most of the board spends their time telling him he's wrong. And in this case he's been told by way more he's wrong than right. Soooo, the fact he's bringing it back up is not only not shocking, it's expected. Because, if and when he is wrong, people do it to him. And honestly, like him or hate him, he does bring info to the board. And obviously an opinion or two. And he like most on here just wants us to win. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. Almost positive.

This guy gets it

confucius say
08-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Auburn is the best team in the country in the trenches. They play a rough schedule so no- there will be no $200 bet on 10-2 as they could drop a 3rd to a very good football team. Especially in a sport where injuries play such a big part. But bottom line- Auburn is one of the 10 best teams in the country.

Will be as close or closer to 6-6 than 10-2.

Homedawg
08-22-2019, 09:43 PM
So you say 7-5 or 6-6. Hmm. I'll be honest w that schedule it's tough for me to see 10-2. But last time they were coming off a down year and nobody thought they were going to be good,(and they didn't have the returning dL they have this year) they beat ga and bama and were a win away from being in the playoff. So I'd say 9-3. Lots of talent in that lockeroom

Schultzy
08-22-2019, 10:49 PM
I dont think Nick or Carter are true points but both can acquit themselves at the position.

This team should make the tournament, though.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-22-2019, 11:07 PM

If it?s Carter, we?re screwed. There is more to a PG than just being able to get the ball up the floor.

Schultzy
08-22-2019, 11:10 PM
I also don’t understand why ppl go after 34 either.

I don’t agree w him that Auburn returning the entire OL that was bad a year ago and is now blocking for a true freshman qb makes for a promising season but it doesn’t make me not want him to post.

I’d rather read strident takes than boring ones.

Schultzy
08-22-2019, 11:15 PM
If it?s Carter, we?re screwed. There is more to a PG than just being able to get the ball up the floor.

He releases off opponents poor shot attempts for easy baskets and can dribble penetrate to finish or kick out despite not being a true point.

We have enough talent around him to put him there in stretches.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 06:13 AM
So you say 7-5 or 6-6. Hmm. I'll be honest w that schedule it's tough for me to see 10-2. But last time they were coming off a down year and nobody thought they were going to be good,(and they didn't have the returning dL they have this year) they beat ga and bama and were a win away from being in the playoff. So I'd say 9-3. Lots of talent in that lockeroom

Gus will be coaching desperate and that might give them an edge in toss up games. If Gus doesn’t have a 10-2 or 9-3 season, he’s going to be fired.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 06:23 AM

Molinar has impressed so far. I think he gets a shot.

confucius say
08-23-2019, 08:31 AM

I added ?as close? to my post bc I can see 8-4

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 09:26 AM

I don’t know about you but a Sugar Bowl appearance to me isn’t a down year. They were in the Sugar Bowl in 2016. That schedule they have is brutal. I think their biggest early games that may tell the tale will be Oregon and us. Starting a true freshman QB is pretty brazen and shows desperation when your first game is against Oregon. We will be undefeated going on the road against Auburn and whoever can win that game could propel themselves to a great season if Auburn is also undefeated. Auburn also could have 2 losses at that point and see their season as over. You really never know until you get to that situation.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 09:30 AM
Did Auburn start a true freshman QB in 2017 and does this Auburn team have an elite RB like they did in 2017? Um, nope. Hell, their 2017 OL was loaded that year. This one is shit. I’m thinking closer to 7-5 then 10-2 myself.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 09:38 AM
I don’t know about you but a Sugar Bowl appearance to me isn’t a down year. They were in the Sugar Bowl in 2016. That schedule they have is brutal. I think their biggest early games that may tell the tale will be Oregon and us. Starting a true freshman QB is pretty brazen and shows desperation when your first game is against Oregon. We will be undefeated going on the road against Auburn and whoever can win that game could propel themselves to a great season if Auburn is also undefeated. Auburn also could have 2 losses at that point and see their season as over. You really never know until you get to that situation.

They went 8-5 in 2016. So yeah. That's down for auburn.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 09:44 AM

Not historically. It seems to be their average year. Their down year was 2015 and 2012 but by and by they are mostly an 8-5 type team with outliers in 2010, 2013, and 2017.

Johnson85
08-23-2019, 09:50 AM

It's a fool's errand to try to predict Gus's auburn (and maybe auburn in general). They are basically the successful version of UM. Play the recruiting game such that you're always getting the type of lock room that could be derailed, but you basically always have the talent to be extremely dangerous, even if there are some holes.

I see them being basically like us last year, with a defense good enough to make them dangerous against any team that can't just shut them down. But they won't be running a new offense and they will get the ball to the best playmakers they have, so they won't be quite as easy to shut down as we were last year. I'm guessing Bama and UGA are just too good for them barring some flukish luck, and then @LSU and @FL are going to be extremely tough.

I think their offense, even if it's extremely run heavy, is going to be tough for us with our interior DL. I just have visions of them stretching us out with their sweep stuff and then just punching us for steady gains up the middle.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 09:55 AM
Not historically. It seems to be their average year. Their down year was 2015 and 2012 but by and by they are mostly an 8-5 type team with outliers in 2010, 2013, and 2017.
How many years can Gus go 8-5 and not get fired? How's that?? So they had 3 outliers in less than a decade?? That's a third of the years????

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 09:55 AM
It's a fool's errand to try to predict Gus's auburn (and maybe auburn in general). They are basically the successful version of UM. Play the recruiting game such that you're always getting the type of lock room that could be derailed, but you basically always have the talent to be extremely dangerous, even if there are some holes.

I see them being basically like us last year, with a defense good enough to make them dangerous against any team that can't just shut them down. But they won't be running a new offense and they will get the ball to the best playmakers they have, so they won't be quite as easy to shut down as we were last year. I'm guessing Bama and UGA are just too good for them barring some flukish luck, and then @LSU and @FL are going to be extremely tough.

I think their offense, even if it's extremely run heavy, is going to be tough for us with our interior DL. I just have visions of them stretching us out with their sweep stuff and then just punching us for steady gains up the middle.

They’re not starting their running QB and don’t have an elite RB nor do they have an elite OL like their 2013 and 2017 teams did. It’s just a typical Gus 8-5 team. Gus has gone 8-5, 7-6, 8-5, 8-5 and had one elite year in 2013 and one great year in 2017. The thing Gus has been great at has been going 8-5.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 09:59 AM
How many years can Gus go 8-5 and not get fired? How's that?? So they had 3 outliers in less than a decade?? That's a third of the years????

4 times Gus has gone 8-5 and only twice has he had 10+ win seasons. 8-5 seems to be what he’s mostly consistent at.

Johnson85
08-23-2019, 10:09 AM
4 times Gus has gone 8-5 and only twice has he had 10+ win seasons. 8-5 seems to be what he’s mostly consistent at.

I think you need to look at their record without their bowl games. Last year's team that got to 8-5 by destroying Purdue in a bowl game was not very good. I think the 2016 team that got to 8-5 by winning 8 in the regular season but lost to Oklahoma in the bowl game was probably a lot closer to the really good 2017 team than last year's mediocre team. Probably the same thing is true for their 2014 8-5 team that lost to Wisconsin in the Outback bowl.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 10:16 AM
I think you need to look at their record without their bowl games. Last year's team that got to 8-5 by destroying Purdue in a bowl game was not very good. I think the 2016 team that got to 8-5 by winning 8 in the regular season but lost to Oklahoma in the bowl game was probably a lot closer to the really good 2017 team than last year's mediocre team. Probably the same thing is true for their 2014 8-5 team that lost to Wisconsin in the Outback bowl.

Well he’s gotten to 8-5 whether with a bowl win or loss more times then he’s gotten any other record. That seems to be the norm for him so a safe bet with Auburn and Gus is they somehow find their way to 8 wins.