PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Football Concerns

Coach34
07-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Hello guys- just stopping by to talk some ball and deliver my football concerns heading into this CFB season:

1. The DT position. We are going to have a significant drop at this position in 2019. We lost the best pass-rushing DT in all of college football in Simmons- along with 2 very good DT's in Hoyett and Thomas. I think our talent here will be ok- but the lack of experience in 2019 and talent drop makes this the top concern of 2019.

2. QB pressure- we were 12th in the country in 2018 in sacks at 39. We lost Simmons, Sweat, and Green- who were the major forces in those numbers. I'll be shocked if we reach 25 in 2019. That puts alot more pressure on the LB's and Secondary as well as makes some play-calling easier for our opponents.

3. Every Play is an RPO- the SEC is the premier league in the country on defense. It's D-Line heaven. You have to adjust your offense to combat SEC defenses because of the excess athletes and the commitment of SEC DC's to play man coverage. Today's response to the RPO is to play man coverage and force the QB to run the ball. That wont change in 2019. The Big Ten didnt exactly play D that way- neither does the Pac-12. The SEC dont play. I'm curious to see if JoMo adapts or does he continue to let Tommy get about 185 carries in 2019. Something to watch fo sho.

4. How does the Secondary perform? The pass rush wont be close to last season. We lost our Safeties and CB's. How does the new Secondary perform with half the pass rush in 2019?

5. Should be a very good OL in 2019. Experience and depth. Should be a good run-blocking crew. Do we rely on that strength?

6. We have 2 TB's. Can Hill and Gibson stay healthy and handle the load? Defenses will force alot of Tommy carries- but if JoVester adapts and hands the ball off- can they handle the load?

7. Will the WR's be better in 2019? They have been shitty. Can they catch the Tommy fastball or will this year just be more of the same? Athletes that remain inconsistent?

8. Will the team unite behind Tommy or will we have a divided lockerroom like we did in 2016? That makes a big difference and the longer it drags- the more it hurts your season.

9. We play at Auburn and at A&M- those teams will be hard to beat on the road. As will Tennessee in year 2 with their new coach. Kentucky is solid and could win 8 games. LSU is damn good. Our schedule aint as damn easy as some people try to say. Add in K-State playing against an inexperienced State QB

Just some searing questions for our team heading into 2019....I'm excited about this Fall because it will answer alot of questions about our HC hire. He will have had 2 years with the most talent he will have had during his time at State. If he cant get it done with these 2 teams- its not going to get any better in his time in Sville. 2019 will be very exciting. HailState

HoopsDawg
07-11-2019, 09:42 PM
WR's and QB have to be able to beat man coverage.

DT's, our offensive scheme, and Kylin's health are my biggest concerns.

Gutter Cobreh
07-11-2019, 09:59 PM
"He will have had 2 years with the most talent he will have had during his time at State. If he cant get it done with these 2 teams- its not going to get any better in his time in Sville."

This statement makes no sense, other than for you to perpetuate your narrative. Even though you post less, we get it - you don't like him. Also, your nickname for him is childish.

Based on how he's filled gaps in the roster in his short time, it's rather per sumptuous for you to claim last year and this coming year will be the most talented teams he'll have.

RezDog7
07-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Hello guys- just stopping by to talk some ball and deliver my football concerns heading into this CFB season:

1. The DT position. We are going to have a significant drop at this position in 2019. We lost the best pass-rushing DT in all of college football in Simmons- along with 2 very good DT's in Hoyett and Thomas. I think our talent here will be ok- but the lack of experience in 2019 and talent drop makes this the top concern of 2019.

2. QB pressure- we were 12th in the country in 2018 in sacks at 39. We lost Simmons, Sweat, and Green- who were the major forces in those numbers. I'll be shocked if we reach 25 in 2019. That puts alot more pressure on the LB's and Secondary as well as makes some play-calling easier for our opponents.

3. Every Play is an RPO- the SEC is the premier league in the country on defense. It's D-Line heaven. You have to adjust your offense to combat SEC defenses because of the excess athletes and the commitment of SEC DC's to play man coverage. Today's response to the RPO is to play man coverage and force the QB to run the ball. That wont change in 2019. The Big Ten didnt exactly play D that way- neither does the Pac-12. The SEC dont play. I'm curious to see if JoMo adapts or does he continue to let Tommy get about 185 carries in 2019. Something to watch fo sho.

4. How does the Secondary perform? The pass rush wont be close to last season. We lost our Safeties and CB's. How does the new Secondary perform with half the pass rush in 2019?

5. Should be a very good OL in 2019. Experience and depth. Should be a good run-blocking crew. Do we rely on that strength?

6. We have 2 TB's. Can Hill and Gibson stay healthy and handle the load? Defenses will force alot of Tommy carries- but if JoVester adapts and hands the ball off- can they handle the load?

7. Will the WR's be better in 2019? They have been shitty. Can they catch the Tommy fastball or will this year just be more of the same? Athletes that remain inconsistent?

8. Will the team unite behind Tommy or will we have a divided lockerroom like we did in 2016? That makes a big difference and the longer it drags- the more it hurts your season.

9. We play at Auburn and at A&M- those teams will be hard to beat on the road. As will Tennessee in year 2 with their new coach. Kentucky is solid and could win 8 games. LSU is damn good. Our schedule aint as damn easy as some people try to say. Add in K-State playing against an inexperienced State QB

Just some searing questions for our team heading into 2019....I'm excited about this Fall because it will answer alot of questions about our HC hire. He will have had 2 years with the most talent he will have had during his time at State. If he cant get it done with these 2 teams- its not going to get any better in his time in Sville. 2019 will be very exciting. HailState

I'm very thankful you don't coach my kid.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2019, 10:11 PM
I see your only name for Stevens right now is Tommy.

Any ideas you're floating around for his nickname?

Coach34
07-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Me too

Homedawg
07-11-2019, 10:38 PM
WR's and QB have to be able to beat man coverage.

DT's, our offensive scheme, and Kylin's health are my biggest concerns.

If number one has to happen we are screwed. Dt is an issue. Don't care what anyone says

Homedawg
07-11-2019, 10:39 PM
"He will have had 2 years with the most talent he will have had during his time at State. If he cant get it done with these 2 teams- its not going to get any better in his time in Sville."

This statement makes no sense, other than for you to perpetuate your narrative. Even though you post less, we get it - you don't like him. Also, your nickname for him is childish.

Based on how he's filled gaps in the roster in his short time, it's rather per sumptuous for you to claim last year and this coming year will be the most talented teams he'll have.
I think the point is next year will be tough, so 21 will be at best a job saving year if this year is a fail, so I agree w coach.

Homedawg
07-11-2019, 10:40 PM

What did he say that was so bad??

Coach007
07-11-2019, 11:02 PM
Always love real talk and debate. C34 does it well. He is wrong alot.. but does it well.. :)

1- When you look at the numbers of Sweat vs Rivers, you will... WILL find that Rivers is 100% in line with Sweat. VERY MUCH SO. If you give Rivers the time on the field and the production level stays the same, Rivers will accomplish much of what Sweat did. On the other side, it is an upgrade. Autry is a great DT. Where we will have a Question is not with the starters, it's more so with the 3rd strings.

2- Not even true man. For example:

On Rivers, Here are his stats compared to Sweat.

Sweat- 53 tackles - 14 TFL- 11 sacks- 7 QBH
Rivers- 24 tackles - 7 TFL- 3 sacks- 4 QBH

Rivers did that with less than half the time.

Continuing with this, You state we had 39 sacks... You mentioned Sweat, Simmons and Green. They accounted, collectively, for 16 of those sacks. As I pointed out, Rivers is in line with Sweat, and Sweat had 11 of those 16 sacks. Couple that with the fact that Spenser would have started over Green baring injury, again.. We are not looking at a major drop off.

3- We are all excited to see what his offense can do. I remember the time when some people stated the same about a young coach who was the OC at UF named Mullen. Literally was the same things stated. That crap want work against a real defense.... YET.. it did.

4- I love the break down of this one. We had a total of 13 ints. We lost one guy who was apart of those stats. He only had 2. Abrams. This is an actual expectation... "this group will be improved in talent and in depth".

5- OL.. agreed. Will be one of the top groups in the nation.

6- We have more than 2. However, any injury would be bad. So I agree with that part.

7- Alot of the passing game last year was not the fault of the WR or TE... It was Fitz making late reads. Then forcing the pass late. I happen to think that we have the most under rated corp in the SEC. We may not have that one guy, but we have that corp that will force every man to be covered well. We will end up with mismatches all game long.

8- Yes.. They will. And KT will be a part of the winning formula. Watch

9- 100% disagree. MS ST will be the most over looked team and will start the season 6-0 before being tested. Gus will be fired. in fact, I can see this team being undefeated with Bama at home.

I'm excited about this Fall because it will answer alot of questions about our HC hire. He will have had 2 years with the most talent he will have had during his time at State. If he cant get it done with these 2 teams- its not going to get any better in his time in Sville. 2019 will be very exciting. HailState

Agree with the excitement. He runs a different offense than Mullen. He needs that implemented. For that, he needs his players

preachermatt83
07-11-2019, 11:26 PM
JoeVester... lol. I like it.

Jarius
07-12-2019, 05:16 AM

https://www.djournal.com/sports/college/brad-locke-moorhead-enlightens-with-chalk-talk/article_8569f161-839d-57d8-9315-fe97d281af22.html

Quote from the article:

Fitz had a great year running the ball, but the goal for Moorhead this fall is to be a little more balanced. He said that in his offense, the QB should not run the ball more than 10 or 15 times per game.
Last season, MSU quarterbacks averaged 18.8 carries.

MrKotter
07-12-2019, 06:16 AM
No kidding. Sadly, some here think he has any clue what he?s talking about

timotheus
07-12-2019, 06:32 AM
I have chatted with 34 in person after a spring practice session guys, and yes he is opinionated but any coach has to be. He made some relevant points here and the mention of how good the SEC defensive lineman is spot on and will be critical.

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 07:50 AM

"4. How does the Secondary perform? The pass rush wont be close to last season. We lost our Safeties and CB's. How does the new Secondary perform with half the pass rush in 2019?"

That's interesting. Did Smitherman and Dantzler leave the team?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/prospect-microscope--mississippi-state-cb-cam-dantzler

And I guess you haven't seen anything from Cole, Landrews, and Morgan-Walker that is encouraging? OK....

RezDog7
07-12-2019, 08:15 AM
What did he say that was so bad??

Just not a fan of know it all condescending assholes. This dude is a moron.

Ari Gold
07-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Yes DT is a concern this year , but we do have some talented cats they are young but talented and no we can replace Simmons outside of Clemson and Bama few teams can. And yes Rivers is a pro .. a possible day 1 or day 2 name called pro
If DT is our only concern and it basically is, I feel good about our D

Yes RB is thin , can’t have an injury there. Hill has to be a workhorse and a stud and we need Gibson to be really good. We can blame the previous staff for this. It’s absurd we don’t have any depth here

WR will be better, hell we really don’t know how good they are. Yes they had some drops crucial drops at times but what WR group doesnt. I feel pretty confident that TS will have a much better grasp of the offense and 10x a better QB when it comes to doing the things a QB at an elite level has to do .. read a defense , get the ball to the right guy, ect

And when it comes to 2020 and beyond it’s silly to even speculate on that..
CJM and staff sure have checked some boxes about 2020:.. look at the juco class we have coming in.
He has the QB he wants
He has the RB he wants
The OL is deep
The depth at WR is growing
The DL will be loaded with elite jucos and talented young guys

We need to find that lockdown Cb. And who’s to say we don’t already have him.. Dantzler was a 3star out of high school and turned himself into a possible 1st rounder in 3 years

Bottom line if TS is as good as some think this will be a fun year ..

Everyone enjoy it

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Yes DT is a concern this year , but we do have some talented cats they are young but talented and no we can replace Simmons outside of Clemson and Bama few teams can. And yes Rivers is a pro .. a possible day 1 or day 2 name called pro
If DT is our only concern and it basically is, I feel good about our D

Yes RB is thin , can?t have an injury there. Hill has to be a workhorse and a stud and we need Gibson to be really good. We can blame the previous staff for this. It?s absurd we don?t have any depth here

WR will be better, hell we really don?t know how good they are. Yes they had some drops crucial drops at times but what WR group doesnt. I feel pretty confident that TS will have a much better grasp of the offense and 10x a better QB when it comes to doing the things a QB at an elite level has to do .. read a defense , get the ball to the right guy, ect

And when it comes to 2020 and beyond it?s silly to even speculate on that..
CJM and staff sure have checked some boxes about 2020:.. look at the juco class we have coming in.
He has the QB he wants
He has the RB he wants
The OL is deep
The depth at WR is growing
The DL will be loaded with elite jucos and talented young guys

We need to find that lockdown Cb. And who?s to say we don?t already have him.. Dantzler was a 3star out of high school and turned himself into a possible 1st rounder in 3 years

Bottom line if TS is as good as some think this will be a fun year ..

Everyone enjoy it

Yea, I don't understand the grave concern for 2020 and beyond either...

- At QB we only lose Stevens
- RB is somewhat of a concern, but not if Hill comes back. Also, we have a very highly rated guy waiting in the wings, along with Witherspoon, Walker, and Dillon Johnson.
- WR/TE we lose Guidry, Thomas and Dear, but return everyone else and our WR recruiting is trending up. At TE you will have Jones, Spivey, and Cumbest
- OL, same as WR, lose some guys, but have been bringing in the most talent that I can remember
- DL is the position we have recruited the best- Pickering, Russell, Davis, Lovett, Crumedy, Kobe Jones, Spencer, Odom, others. No concern there.
- LB will be a drop, but like with RB, if we hit the draft right we could be great again. Also, Brule and Watson have been promising according to those inside the program. Also adding Brown from Horn Lake.
- At CB I think Jarrian Jones and Emerson can be very good. Jones may be that lock down guy. He will probably play a lot this year.
- At safety you will have Marcus Murphy, Fred Peters, and Morgan- Walker. Some say Janari Dean is one of the best players in the state.

AROB44
07-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Surprise....surprise....surprise...you would agree with him on anything.

Coach34
07-12-2019, 09:41 AM
"4. How does the Secondary perform? The pass rush wont be close to last season. We lost our Safeties and CB's. How does the new Secondary perform with half the pass rush in 2019?"

That's interesting. Did Smitherman and Dantzler leave the team?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/prospect-microscope--mississippi-state-cb-cam-dantzler

And I guess you haven't seen anything from Cole, Landrews, and Morgan-Walker that is encouraging? OK....

Dantzler is very good but losing Peters, Rayford, and our starting safeties is a big loss. That's alot of talent that played alot of snaps at Miss. State. Could the Secondary be very good this year? Sure. Is it a given? Hell no it's not. Our pass rush last year had alot to do with that

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Dantzler is very good but losing Peters, Rayford, and our starting safeties is a big loss. That's alot of talent that played alot of snaps at Miss. State. Could the Secondary be very good this year? Sure. Is it a given? Hell no it's not. Our pass rush last year had alot to do with that

Lol, including Rayford is a stretch. Great gunner, great CB, not so much. Dude only had 13 tackles last year. Anyone with a brain knows Smitherman is the much better player, and it showed last year by his playing time and production.

I think it's a given that Dantzler and Smitherman are good. I guess you didn't read the article about Dantzler I linked.

Here is another one on Smitherman:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/3-sec-cornerbacks-rank-among-top-in-power-5-conferences-in-this-pro-football-focus-stat/

And take a look at this:

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1125010506945847296

Smitherman and Dantzler both in the top 5 in the SEC.

You keep talking about our pass rush, and, yes, Sweat is virtually impossible to replace, but it's not like Rivers, Spencer, Jones, and Adams are chopped liver. You also have great LBs (Thompson and Gay) that combined for 8.5 of those aforementioned sacks last year. Guess how many sacks Simmons and Green combined for? 5.5.....

Coach34
07-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Always love real talk and debate. C34 does it well. He is wrong alot.. but does it well.. :)

1- When you look at the numbers of Sweat vs Rivers, you will... WILL find that Rivers is 100% in line with Sweat. VERY MUCH SO. If you give Rivers the time on the field and the production level stays the same, Rivers will accomplish much of what Sweat did. On the other side, it is an upgrade. Autry is a great DT. Where we will have a Question is not with the starters, it's more so with the 3rd strings.

2- Not even true man. For example:

On Rivers, Here are his stats compared to Sweat.

Sweat- 53 tackles - 14 TFL- 11 sacks- 7 QBH
Rivers- 24 tackles - 7 TFL- 3 sacks- 4 QBH

Rivers did that with less than half the time.

Continuing with this, You state we had 39 sacks... You mentioned Sweat, Simmons and Green. They accounted, collectively, for 16 of those sacks. As I pointed out, Rivers is in line with Sweat, and Sweat had 11 of those 16 sacks. Couple that with the fact that Spenser would have started over Green baring injury, again.. We are not looking at a major drop off.

Rivers had 2.5 sacks- not 3. He is not the pass-rusher that Sweat was. He simply isnt. But he is better against the run than Sweat was. And no- Spencer was not starting ahead of Green either.

We have a talent drop at DT. We wont rush the passer from DE the way we did last year. Pass pro by opposing offenses dont have to deal with 2 1st round picks and a 6th round pick all at once anymore (but no doubt that Rivers will be a draft pick this April). Because the pass rush wont command the OL to double guys as much- it will make it harder for the LB's/Safeties to get sacks. The offenses will have people to pick these guys up instead of them coming free because of the double teams. That simply means we will have to cover longer on the back end because we won't be forcing the quick throws we did in 2018.

Something to watch in 2019

TrapGame
07-12-2019, 10:14 AM

Wipe your chin.

Coach007
07-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Dantzler is very good but losing Peters, Rayford, and our starting safeties is a big loss.

Again, no offense, but Rayford was way down the list compared to what we return. Morgan's number were better.

1bigdawg
07-12-2019, 10:32 AM
I agree w 34 that our pass rush won't be the same this year, but we will be talented up front. Our DEs are as potentially good as any group in the SEC. Our DTs are talented but young. This will mean that the backside of the D will have to cover longer.

We did lose our safeties, but I think we will have just as good a group there IF we stay healthy.

IMO, we upgrade at LB by returning all the starters and we probably upgrade at CB.

Overall, that has the potential to give us a defense that is almost as good as last year. I predict we will be in the top 10-20 range.

However to win 8 or more, our offense has to improve. We start with a talented, experienced and deep OL. You can make a lot of mistakes on offense and things still turn out ok.

As with our safeties, we can't stand injuries with our RBs. If they stay healthy, we are good to great.

I agree that our receivers will be better without the 100 mph fastballs coming there way. They should improve just from experience if nothing else. Also, I look for Whop to break out in his second year.

QB is a question mark because we don't have a true starter coming back and you never know until the game is on their shoulders. The good news is that we have Stevens, who is well aware of Moorhead's offense and KT who has a lot of talent. Remember that he was a state champion in LA. QBs who find a way to win often continue to do just that.

I believe the offense will be significantly improved IF the RBs stay healthy.

Finally, I have hope for the special teams. It seems our ST coach is neither a great coach or recruiter, based on last year's production on both. However, he did bring in a solid punter from his old job and that could make us better.

7 wins are in the cards: 4 out of conference, KY, Ark and UM. Everything else will be tough. To win more either we have to outcoach someone or someone has to have a down year.

8 wins will make me happy enough this year, and that is where I think we will end up. More would be a tribute to Moorhead. Less than 7 would mean we have problems.

Coach007
07-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Rivers had 2.5 sacks- not 3. He is not the pass-rusher that Sweat was. He simply isnt.

We will disagree. QBH .. in about a 3rd of the Playing time, Rivers hurried the QB 4 times. That's 3 less than Sweat who played way more than Rivers.

We have a talent drop at DT. We wont rush the passer from DE the way we did last year. Pass pro by opposing offenses dont have to deal with 2 1st round picks and a 6th round pick all at once anymore

You were just shown that 2 of those people you are referring to combined for 5.5 sacks all season. You were just shown that in a back up role, Rivers had more than half the QBHs that Sweat had. Adams had 4 too. To say that we won't rush the passer the way we did last year is wrong.

If you want to break down even more:

Sweat/Green combined QBH.... 8
Rivers/Adams--- 8

Rivers numbers are actually in line with Sweat based on PT and ACTUALLY AS GOOD as Green who started. Rivers had more tackles for loss and more QHR in a backup role.

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Call me crazy, but I don't think 9-3 is that far-fetched given this scenario:

ULL- W
USM- W
KSU- W
UK- W
AU- L
UT- W
LSU- W
A&M- L
Ark- W
Bama- L
Abilene- W
Ole Miss- W

We should be heavy favorites in the first 4.

AU is a wildcard, but I will chalk it up as a loss on the road.

We are going to beat UT. They just aren't that good. We are a better program. It's that simple.

I predict we beat LSU. That game has been tightly contested in recent years. We also get up for that game and it's at home. Also helping us is that we play them relatively early and hopefully Emery and Johnson are still getting their feet wet. Also, LSU's weakness this year is OL, and that plays to our favor with DT and stopping the run being a question mark.

A&M is much like AU, but I will chalk up a loss due to it being on the road.

Arkansas is like UT. We are just better.

Bama is a loss.

Abilene and Ole Miss we should be heavy favorites.

Even if I am wrong about the LSU game, it's not crazy to think we can't beat either AU or A&M or both.

You go 2-2 in that AU, UT, LSU, A&M stretch and you have 9 wins. Hell, go 1-3 and you have 8.

We should be heavy to decent favorites in 7 games: ULL, USM, KSU, UK, Ark, Abilene, Ole Miss. UT will probably be around a pick em. The other games aside from Bama we will probably be less than 7.5 point underdogs.

msstate7
07-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Call me crazy, but I don't think 9-3 is that far-fetched given this scenario:

ULL- W
USM- W
KSU- W
UK- W
AU- L
UT- W
LSU- W
A&M- L
Ark- W
Bama- L
Abilene- W
Ole Miss- W

We should be heavy favorites in the first 4.

AU is a wildcard, but I will chalk it up as a loss on the road.

We are going to beat UT. They just aren't that good. We are a better program. It's that simple.

I predict we beat LSU. That game has been tightly contested in recent years. We also get up for that game and it's at home. Also helping us is that we play them relatively early and hopefully Emery and Johnson are still getting their feet wet. Also, LSU's weakness this year is OL, and that plays to our favor with DT and stopping the run being a question mark.

A&M is much like AU, but I will chalk up a loss due to it being on the road.

Arkansas is like UT. We are just better.

Bama is a loss.

Abilene and Ole Miss we should be heavy favorites.

Even if I am wrong about the LSU game, it's not crazy to think we can't beat either AU or A&M or both.

You go 2-2 in that AU, UT, LSU, A&M stretch and you have 9 wins. Hell, go 1-3 and you have 8....

You have a lot more faith than me... with the best defense in the country last season, we were 1-3 in sec road games and only scored 10 points in the 3 games vs teams with a winning record

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Here's my opinion on this season:

Until we know if Tommy is Tommy Boy or Tommy Gunn, we don't know shit about this team.

Coach007
07-12-2019, 11:00 AM
You have a lot more faith than me... with the best defense in the country last season, we were 1-3 in sec road games and only scored 10 points in the 3 games vs teams with a winning record

Yep... But that was that offense. :)

We have:

- Better OL
- Better WRs
- Better QB (not that Fitz was bad.... just a bad system to change into over night)
- More seasoned RBs.
- double threat on occasions with KT and Stevens out there at the same time.

I'm super excited!

Coach007
07-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Until we know if Tommy is Tommy Boy or Tommy Gunn, we don't know shit about this team.

Party true. If he is Tommy Boy, KT will start so we do know that

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 11:08 AM

... and we still won 8 games. This year we should be better on offense, have LSU @ home, and swap UF with UT.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2019, 11:11 AM
We will disagree. QBH .. in about a 3rd of the Playing time, Rivers hurried the QB 4 times. That's 3 less than Sweat who played way more than Rivers.

You were just shown that 2 of those people you are referring to combined for 5.5 sacks all season. You were just shown that in a back up role, Rivers had more than half the QBHs that Sweat had. Adams had 4 too. To say that we won't rush the passer the way we did last year is wrong.

Rivers/Adams--- 8

Rivers numbers are actually in line with Sweat based on PT and ACTUALLY AS GOOD as Green who started. Rivers had more tackles for loss and more QHR in a backup role.

You can't forget what impact Simmons had on the pass rush. He was probably the one guy who made the defense go from Great to Amazing. I think Rivers/Spencer/Adams is probably overall as good as Sweat/Green but you do lose having Rivers as a backup. We have recruited really well so hopefully someone steps up.

As far as the secondary, I think Dantzler/Smitherman with another year development will be better than Dantzler/Peters. I also think Cole/Landrews will be overall better than Abram/McLaurin. Cole was being touted as the best safety before his injury. While I don't know if he will be the leader that Abram was, he apparently has that type of talent level.

Our defense will come down to how our DTs step up. Everything else is there for a top 10-20 type of defense.

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Not necessarily. We know we will be equal if not better at OL, RB, WR, and TE. We also know we already have a guy similar to Fitz on the roster. Tommy being good would just be gravy on top of what we had last year....

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Our schedule does set up as well as you could hope. We can win 7 or maybe 8 with the offense from last year. Other than replacing Fitz, we should improve overall with another year in the system.

WRs - can't get worse and you would hope another year is a big help for them.
RBs - losing Aeris sucks but from reports, Kylin is stepping up and Gibson is back. We also have that great Juco RB along with the probable redshirt from AL.
TEs - no loss so should be better
OL - Losing Jenkins sucks but we do have an adequate replacement who will probably be drafted. We also have the guys to move around and get into their more natural position like Eiland and Reese. This position should be improved.
QBs - Replacing Fitz who didn't get live reps until August and then was suspended for the first game. We brought in Stevens who has been in Moorhead's system for 3 years and was one of the better QBs at the Manning Camp per the director of the Senior Bowl. It is now coming out that JoeMo was adapting his offense because Fitz just wasn't catching on. He was also making slow decisions which was turning 15 yard plans into 5 yard plays. Hopefully Stevens along with another year in the system for KT remedies that.

If nothing else, UK lost more than most teams off that great defense to go with the top Defensive player in the country. Unless Auburn, UT, Ark, UK, or A&M turn into a top 25 defense then our offense should be more than adequate to win 7-9 games. We also get LSU at home which helps.

msstate7
07-12-2019, 11:28 AM
... and we still won 8 games. This year we should be better on offense, have LSU @ home, and swap UF with UT.

And 2 home games I consider sure losses, Bama and LSU. We have 2 really tough road games in aTm and auburn, and we have a toss up with tenn

Coach34
07-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Rivers/Adams--- 8

Because Simmons was doubled damn near all the time. Most protections are 5 guys- 6 a good bit- and rarely 7. So if 2 are blocking Simmons- that leaves 1 on 1 with the other 3. We dont have a DT that will command a double team this year. That frees up an OL player to help picking up LB's or helping somewhere else. Being that teams dont have to double our DT's- they will also have fewer 6 and 7 man protections to get the RB out in the route- forcing more coverage out of Gay and Thompson. Makes it easier for the QB to throw hot when he has a 5th guy in the route in case of blitz.

Simmons dominance inside is what led to sack numbers by alot of other guys. That is what you arent getting

Coach007
07-12-2019, 11:42 AM
You can't forget what impact Simmons had on the pass rush. He was probably the one guy who made the defense go from Great to Amazing. I think Rivers/Spencer/Adams is probably overall as good as Sweat/Green but you do lose having Rivers as a backup. We have recruited really well so hopefully someone steps up.

We are 2 plus deep on the DE. Rivers/ Adams/Spencer/Jones with 3rd from Odom etc.

As far as the secondary, I think Dantzler/Smitherman with another year development will be better than Dantzler/Peters. I also think Cole/Landrews will be overall better than Abram/McLaurin. Cole was being touted as the best safety before his injury. While I don't know if he will be the leader that Abram was, he apparently has that type of talent level.

I agree. Cole/Landrews are going to shock people.

Our defense will come down to how our DTs step up. Everything else is there for a top 10-20 type of defense.

Agree.. it will be Autry, and from what I am told Kendall Jones (sr) will be passed by Lovett because Lovett is that good. Jackson is going back to his natural position on the DL because the depth on offense is good.

RezDog7
07-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Because Simmons was doubled damn near all the time. Most protections are 5 guys- 6 a good bit- and rarely 7. So if 2 are blocking Simmons- that leaves 1 on 1 with the other 3. We dont have a DT that will command a double team this year. That frees up an OL player to help picking up LB's or helping somewhere else. Being that teams dont have to double our DT's- they will also have fewer 6 and 7 man protections to get the RB out in the route- forcing more coverage out of Gay and Thompson. Makes it easier for the QB to throw hot when he has a 5th guy in the route in case of blitz.

Simmons dominance inside is what led to sack numbers by alot of other guys. That is what you arent getting

So is it safe to say that last years sack numbers are inflated because of Simmons? It's laughable that you think the corners were better last year than this year.

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 11:58 AM
And 2 home games I consider sure losses, Bama and LSU. We have 2 really tough road games in aTm and auburn, and we have a toss up with tenn

In what planet is LSU @ home a sure loss?

Regardless my point is it should be an easier game than last year on the road.

Same with UT vs. UF.

Homedawg
07-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Yep... But that was that offense. :)

We have:

- Better OL
- Better WRs
- Better QB (not that Fitz was bad.... just a bad system to change into over night)
- More seasoned RBs.
- double threat on occasions with KT and Stevens out there at the same time.

I'm super excited!

I'll give you this, you are the most optimistic person on this season I've seen. I hope you are right. I do. But i can't see through the glasses you are looking through. 6-0?? and lots other stuff. I think you are setting yourself up for a major crash and burn!

Homedawg
07-12-2019, 12:05 PM
We are 2 plus deep on the DE. Rivers/ Adams/Spencer/Jones with 3rd from Odom etc.

I agree. Cole/Landrews are going to shock people.

Agree.. it will be Autry, and from what I am told Kendall Jones (sr) will be passed by Lovett because Lovett is that good. Jackson is going back to his natural position on the DL because the depth on offense is good.

Jones won't play because he's NO good!!!!! Now i do think Lovett will be a good player in time.

Coach007
07-12-2019, 12:17 PM
I'll give you this, you are the most optimistic person on this season I've seen. I hope you are right. I do. But i can't see through the glasses you are looking through. 6-0?? and lots other stuff. I think you are setting yourself up for a major crash and burn!

Nah. I know that we could drop a game due to a fluke or even to a better team.

My predictions are from the belief that the defense will not be worse than 15th in the nation and that the offense will be more than a little improved due to the OL, the QB seeing the field better and more accurate.

We beat Auburn last year and not much has changed for them, but a ton has changed for Ms St. I don't see UT being an issue either. 6-0 is not a pie in the sky type thing.

R2Dawg
07-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Some valid concerns by 34 however anyone could equally make the case that we could be better in spots as well. Take the philosophy that 34 used and every team, every year is going to be worse due to the experienced starters lost. Eventually we don't win a game and never will because is the returning players could not beat out the starters last year that couldn't win a game, then we suck.

I think another thread could be started that says - things not to be concerned about or things that will be better this year.

My spin:

DT - some dropoff with depth but not falling off the cliff
QB pressure - we got lot of pressure last year with blitz from all over safety, LB, CB, etc. No difference this year.
QB play and RPO - yep big watch for here. If the changes go the way Jo expects, we are gonna move the chains.
Secondary - on paper, we return a lot. so much that we are going to be real, real good. Yep DL does affect secondary coverage play.
OL and RB - if our OL is as good as everyone says, then I think RB health will be fine. We have some young depth to work in too.
WR - yep a big unknown. QB improvement will reveal if it was more QB play or WR play.
Locker room - every team is different, depends on how the leaders handle this. We'll see. If Tommy does as expected, there will be no drama. If it is up and down then could be some issues.
Yep SEC is tough, road tougher. No different than any other year.

We don't have to win 11-12 games this year for me to feel like Jo has it going the right direction but our O better be improved and hold steady on D. Need 6-7 wins to go with the former before I feel like we are OK with Joe.

Bothrops
07-12-2019, 12:24 PM
"Tommy Gunn" haha I like it, a tribute to the late Duke Morrison.

If our passing game isn't much better this year with Tommy Gunn and our recieving corp, it never will be. Tommy has a nice warm up to better and better competition to start out the season. I think he eats it up.

DL will be a work in progress but won't get really tested until LSU. Last I checked, Spencer was too heavy for his skill set, but we should be ok off the edge, at least ok.

Erroll Thompson should have an AA type performance this season. Time for Leo to move the needle and get in there.

TE- a couple of these guys should feel well aged by now and ready to be physical leaders at the position.

Receivers aren't as bad as everyone thinks, because if they were, they'd be among the worst not only in P5, but G5 as well.

OL these unit should be as advertised. Moorhead will have better units here during his tenure than Mullen did.

RB - I have zero worry here. I mean none.

DB - more talent with less experience, will need time to get up to speed, but should be better at some point. Extremely tough position to play in this league.

Bottom line is, these guys have got to want to win worse than the competition. That's the hardest thing to instill, if even possible.

Coach34
07-12-2019, 12:32 PM
So is it safe to say that last years sack numbers are inflated because of Simmons? It's laughable that you think the corners were better last year than this year.

Yes- last year's sack numbers were helped tremendously by Simmons.

I didnt say anywhere the CB's were better last year than this year. Dantzler is certainly better than both. But I am saying they will have to cover longer this year- and that will absolutely lead to being worse on pass defense than we were in 2018. Our depth in the Secondary is worse than last year- that plays a part when you have to sub for injury or rest. Teams are going to have more time to throw- period. And that will help other offenses. We should have a good defense- but it will be 4th best in the West for its ceiling- and about 6th overall in the SEC.

RezDog7
07-12-2019, 12:45 PM

I didnt say anywhere the CB's were better last year than this year. Dantzler is certainly better than both. But I am saying they will have to cover longer this year- and that will absolutely lead to being worse on pass defense than we were in 2018. Our depth in the Secondary is worse than last year- that plays a part when you have to sub for injury or rest. Teams are going to have more time to throw- period. And that will help other offenses. We should have a good defense- but it will be 4th best in the West for its ceiling- and about 6th overall in the SEC.

I don't think any reasonable State fan believes we will be as good on defense as we were last year. Our strength will be LB but would also argue that Dantzler, Smitherman, Cole and Landrews is a pretty secondary as well. Hopefully Shoop can scheme enough to help with the loss of talent on the DL and the defense can stay in the top half of the SEC.

Now, assuming our offense is better this year than last because QB makes better decisions and receivers aren't getting 100 mph knuckle balls, them our offensive scoring improves. If that happens, we will win more than you are suggesting. I'm saying 8-4 with a chance at 9-3.

cheewgumm
07-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Everyone on D suffers without Simmons there. Specifically Rivers and the DBs.

If defenses force our QB to run, we are in trouble.

Coach007
07-12-2019, 12:48 PM

And could be helped by different schemes this year.

Our depth in the Secondary is worse than last year- that plays a part when you have to sub for injury or rest.

Shoop states they will be improved.

Teams are going to have more time to throw- period.

You don't know that...Period.

You think that due to 1 guy because last years performance shows the group will improve at the DE position.

Jarius
07-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Everyone on D suffers without Simmons there. Specifically Rivers and the DBs.

If defenses force our QB to run, we are in trouble.

Yea, we would not want a quarterback that also played wide receiver to have to carry the ball.

GeorgeKaplan
07-12-2019, 12:53 PM
Me too

Welcome back, Coach.

Say, any more plans to sabotage another Egg Bowl to make yourself look smart on a message board again?

TrapGame
07-12-2019, 01:00 PM

Why is LSU a "sure" loss?

msstate7
07-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Why is LSU a "sure" loss?

I think LSU is gonna be really good this year. Maybe I'm wrong... we'll see

Jarius
07-12-2019, 01:05 PM
LSU will never be more than pretty good with Ed as a head coach and they will never be a sure loss as long as he is their coach.

msstate7
07-12-2019, 01:08 PM
LSU will never be more than pretty good with Ed as a head coach and they will never be a sure loss as long as he is their coach.

It was a sure loss last year. I offered anyone here pumping sunshine a ban bet. One bit, but I let em off the hook bc it was a sucker bet. LSU will be better than last year and we will be worse... home field flips though, so maybe if we catch the breaks

Coach007
07-12-2019, 01:19 PM
It was a sure loss last year. I offered anyone here pumping sunshine a ban bet. One bit, but I let em off the hook bc it was a sucker bet. LSU will be better than last year and we will be worse... home field flips though, so maybe if we catch the breaks

HAHAHAH!!!! NOPE!

Coach34
07-12-2019, 01:21 PM
Welcome back, Coach.

Say, any more plans to sabotage another Egg Bowl to make yourself look smart on a message board again?

depends on if I hear that our coach is leaving or not. Our coach was leaving as of the last 2 home EB's- we'll see if it's 3 in a row.

TrapGame
07-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Jesus man, you need to get on some Zoloft or stop listening to The Cure or something.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2019, 01:36 PM

Neither of those is a given. We very well could be overall better just from Stevens putting us in the correct positions and knowing where to throw the ball.

msstate7
07-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Jesus man, you need to get on some Zoloft or stop listening to The Cure or something.

FPI had us 8th in 2018.
S&P+ had us 8th in 2018.
FEI had us 8th in 2018.

You wanting to bet we finish higher (1-7) in any of those metrics?

TrapGame
07-12-2019, 01:45 PM
FPI had us 8th in 2018.
S&P+ had us 8th in 2018.
FEI had us 8th in 2018.

No, I'm gonna enjoy the season and not be a damn Negative Nelly about everything.

msstate7
07-12-2019, 01:49 PM
No, I'm gonna enjoy the season and not be a damn Negative Nelly about everything.

I like to think of it as looking at us objectively. 7-5 is the most likely outcome

TrapGame
07-12-2019, 01:52 PM
I like to think of it as looking at us objectively. 7-5 is the most likely outcome

But your tone on every thread makes it sound more like 5-7. I think we finish 8-4 w/ a solid shot at 9-3.

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 01:57 PM

Whatever man. It was never more than a two possession game.

MedDawg
07-12-2019, 02:02 PM
FPI had us 8th in 2018.
S&P+ had us 8th in 2018.
FEI had us 8th in 2018.

And Sagarin had us 8th at the end of the 2018 season.

If you want to use those as evidence we won’t be better in 2019 then you should use those as evidence of success in 2018.

Jarius
07-12-2019, 02:04 PM

LSU was a 6.5 point favorite at home. That was not a sure loss. Nick Fitzgerald throwing 4 interceptions made sure it was a loss though. I am not here to say we are going to win the game. I am simply here to tell you that calling LSU at home with Ed roaming the sidelines a sure loss makes you look football illiterate. If LSU wins, that is still a really bad take. The only sure loss on our schedule is Alabama. It was that way last year as well. Just because you lose a game does not mean it was a sure loss going into the game.

msstate7
07-12-2019, 02:06 PM
And Sagarin had us 8th. At the END of the 2018 season.

Just shows how much we underachieved, which is why I'm not buying into this 9-win hype

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2019, 02:08 PM

7-5 is probably if Stevens is as much of a bust in this offense as Fitz was.

I think 6 wins is the absolute floor but 7 is my personal floor. I will be disappointed if we only win 6. I think our probable is 8 wins and anything above that is gravy. Now if Stevens is as good as the Senior Bowl guy says and our offense clicks then we have a shot at all of them but Bama. I think our D will be good enough to win most games and if the offense helps in the tough games (unlike last year) then we could be pretty damn good.

TrapGame
07-12-2019, 02:14 PM

I think 6 wins is the absolute floor but 7 is my personal floor. I will be disappointed if we only win 6. I think our probable is 8 wins and anything above that is gravy. Now if Stevens is as good as the Senior Bowl guy says and our offense clicks then we have a shot at all of them but Bama. I think our D will be good enough to win most games and if the offense helps in the tough games (unlike last year) then we could be pretty damn good.

Quit making sense!!!************

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Quit making sense!!!************

Sorry, I guess I need to even it out. Moorhead ==== Croom. Our savior Mullen left and now we will never be competitive again.***********

msstate7
07-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Sorry, I guess I need to even it out. Moorhead ==== Croom. Our savior Mullen left and now we will never be competitive again.***********

You think 7 is your floor. If we win 7, Moorhead is clearly a disappointment then, right? Hitting the floor last year and this year.

Coach007
07-12-2019, 02:19 PM

If he is as good as the 18 year veteran NFL scout says, then Bama is competitive at home!

TrapGame
07-12-2019, 02:25 PM
If he is as good as the 18 year veteran NFL scout says, then Bama is competitive at home!

That's a good point.

PMDawg
07-12-2019, 02:29 PM
I think this is pretty cut and dry. If Tommy is less than 60% completion rate, we win 6 or 7 games. If he is 60%-67%, we win 8 or 9. If he's >67%, then it could get interesting.

This is assuming he doesn't run the ball 12+ times a game.

Pipedream
07-12-2019, 02:32 PM

I don't think anything you're saying is that outrageous. If we fall back to 6th in the league in D, you're still talking about a top 20 Defense nationally which is incredibly respectable considering how much we lost. DT is a huge question, but what if the guys we play there are SEC average? Then the rest of your defense is top half, maybe better at DE, LB, and CB? Just have to wait and see there bc of the unknowns. I think the biggest question is the same one we had at the end of last season:Is Moorhead any good? Coaching is the biggest concern I have. If he coaches like last year, could be a 6 win team which would be a major disappointment.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2019, 02:35 PM
You think 7 is your floor. If we win 7, Moorhead is clearly a disappointment then, right? Hitting the floor last year and this year.

It depends on how we get to 7. If we are barely scraping by against the crap teams and getting dominated by everyone else then I will probably be dissapointed. If we hang close with pretty much everyone and only lose to top 15 teams then that is a different story.

I will be disappointed with 6 wins almost anyway it shakes out. The floor to me is like a C, it is a passing grade but shows we need improvement. I would give last year a C+. Our losses were pretty much to the top 15 teams except Iowa who ended up ranked 25 (but we also should have beaten if Guidry does anything besides knock a TD pass into a safety's chest).

Pipedream
07-12-2019, 02:38 PM

I do think 7 is the floor and the numbers back that up. ULL, USM, KSt., UK, Ark, Abilene, and OM all have 25% or less chance of beating us according to preseason numbers. 5 of those games are at home. 1 is a neutral site in NOLA vs ULL where we will likely have more fans than they do. The other is a road game against Arkansas who has a LONG way to go to becoming competitive in the SEC (we could've beaten them by 100 last year). The whole season rides on at Aub/at UT/LSU/ at A&M. You win 1 of those it's probably a successful year. You somehow split those 4 and you start to feel pretty good about JM again. 8 or 9 reg season wins with a chance to get 9 or 10 with a bowl game would be a great improvement from the lackluster 2018 season IMO.

Coach34
07-12-2019, 03:33 PM
There is no doubt that this could be an 8 win team in 2019. No doubt. Doesn't mean the team doesn't have concerns and question marks entering the season. 6 wins wouldn't surprise- 8 would be a good year. Anything past that and its been a really good season

99jc
07-12-2019, 03:47 PM

LOL......REP given

99jc
07-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Just shows how much we underachieved, which is why I'm not buying into this 9-win hype

i'm with ya 7

msstate7
07-12-2019, 04:10 PM
I will say Moorhead had a great transfer-recruiting season. I'm excited to see Stevens run this offense. Nothing would make me happier than eating some crow this fall

msstate7
07-12-2019, 04:14 PM
I don't expect ULL to challenge us that much, but I do think it's a decent test for our interior DLine. ULL was 22nd nationally in rushing, and they return top 3 rushers: 1181 yd rusher, 977 yd rusher, and a 754 yd rusher. They have 5 RS seniors as starting oline

Homedawg
07-12-2019, 04:31 PM

You are going to be in for a long long season your expectations are way out there.

Goldendawg
07-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Some of you guys willing to accept 6 wins as the floor do realize that is beating 4 OOC cupcakes and going 2-6 in the SEC? 2-6, with our talent and the joke schedules OOC today, most any SEC coach should hit that unacceptable floor at MSU today. Anyone who can't, should see the door. Hail State!

Coach34
07-12-2019, 05:15 PM
You are going to be in for a long long season your expectations are way out there.

Cmon mane- we loaded in 2019. We got an awesome QB, loaded at TB and OL, better at WR, DL will be as good, LB's are better, Secondary better, easy schedule. 10 wins coming Mane!!!!!! Watch out Bammer!!! We Believe!!

Liverpooldawg
07-12-2019, 05:19 PM

LOL.

Goldendawg
07-12-2019, 05:22 PM
I hope they come in with chips on their shoulders and get it done against SEC defenses, but a lot of hope is being put on transfers that didn't start in another league or had poor receiving stats against Top 100 pass defenses. I hope to be shown that I am wrong. Hail State!

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2019, 10:36 PM
Some of you guys willing to accept 6 wins as the floor do realize that is beating 4 OOC cupcakes and going 2-6 in the SEC? 2-6, with our talent and the joke schedules OOC today, most any SEC coach should hit that unacceptable floor at MSU today. Anyone who can't, should see the door. Hail State!

We are 3 years from 5 regular season wins.

Bothrops
07-12-2019, 11:00 PM

Disagree here because they will be very hard to score on. They don't need much offense to win 8-9 games every season.

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 11:05 PM
Cmon mane- we loaded in 2019. We got an awesome QB, loaded at TB and OL, better at WR, DL will be as good, LB's are better, Secondary better, easy schedule. 10 wins coming Mane!!!!!! Watch out Bammer!!! We Believe!!

So what?s your win prediction?

Let?s here it big dawg...

Jarius
07-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Disagree here because they will be very hard to score on. They don't need much offense to win 8-9 games every season.

Winning 8-9 games is not better than just pretty good.....

msstate7
07-12-2019, 11:23 PM
Winning 8-9 games is not better than just pretty good.....

They schedule a good OOC team every year and have Florida as a permanent opponent. 8-9 wins for them is harder than 8-9 wins for us. With that said, they needs to be at 10-11 win mark with their built in advantages

Covercorner2
07-12-2019, 11:40 PM

By the way, I haven?t seen a single person in this thread predicting 10 wins, but whatever fits the narrative big guy...

Jarius
07-13-2019, 02:18 AM
They schedule a good OOC team every year and have Florida as a permanent opponent. 8-9 wins for them is harder than 8-9 wins for us. With that said, they needs to be at 10-11 win mark with their built in advantages

They have not scheduled a good OOC opponent since Ed has been there. Miami went 7-6 last year and Syracuse went 3-9 the year before. Texas will be ok this year but nothing special. Better than Kansas State I would imagine, but you never know from year to year with Texas. Florida was not any better than Kentucky last year or the year prior, but that is usually the case. During Ed's time at LSU their schedule has not been any more difficult than ours outside of the Georgia game they played last year. They played Georgia while we played top 15 Kentucky and that was the difference in schedules. Not that big of a difference in SOS there.

Going forward, they will probably have a tougher schedule because Kentucky and Florida will go back to their averages more than likely. My point is that 8 or 9 wins is not more than pretty good. There are a group of teams that do that in the conference every year and it is nothing special.

BrunswickDawg
07-13-2019, 09:16 AM
I don't think the list of concerns is that out of whack - as always with 34, it's all about how he frames the information so he can drive discussion. Some of those things show how little people look at certain numbers and trends.

A good example is his statement about Joe running his QB 185 times and framing that as some sort of outlier or indicator of how Joe's offense is designed to run. Between Fordham and PSU, Moorhead's starting QBs eclipsed 160 rushing attempts in a season in only 2012. Meanwhile, Dan Mullen's QBs eclipsed that mark 5 times in 9 seasons with a high of 210 by Dak in 2014. We ran our QB so much because he was our best running threat - it's that simple.

Was that the best strategy? Should the RBs run more? Maybe, maybe not. But it sure wasn't any different than how Mullen handled a number of seasons. However, it was very different than how Moorhead had handled his offenses at Fordham and PSU. When you have the best running QB in SEC history, it kind of makes sense that he - you know - runs with the football.

Bothrops
07-13-2019, 09:29 AM
They have not scheduled a good OOC opponent since Ed has been there.

Well they weren't as good after LSU no doubt. LSU will also smash Texas in the mouth. As far a defensive talent they are 1b to Bama only on the regular.

Coach007
07-13-2019, 01:24 PM
I don't think the list of concerns is that out of whack - as always with 34, it's all about how he frames the information so he can drive discussion. Some of those things show how little people look at certain numbers and trends.

A good example is his statement about Joe running his QB 185 times and framing that as some sort of outlier or indicator of how Joe's offense is designed to run. Between Fordham and PSU, Moorhead's starting QBs eclipsed 160 rushing attempts in a season in only 2012. Meanwhile, Dan Mullen's QBs eclipsed that mark 5 times in 9 seasons with a high of 210 by Dak in 2014. We ran our QB so much because he was our best running threat - it's that simple.

Was that the best strategy? Should the RBs run more? Maybe, maybe not. But it sure wasn't any different than how Mullen handled a number of seasons. However, it was very different than how Moorhead had handled his offenses at Fordham and PSU. When you have the best running QB in SEC history, it kind of makes sense that he - you know - runs with the football.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/ytTYwIlbD1FBu/200w.webp?cid=790b76115d2a218a6743767959af1d20&rid=200w.webp

And keep in mind that that's not 185 designed QB runs. It's the reads and if the QB made the right read.

Coach007
07-13-2019, 01:25 PM
Well they weren't as good after LSU no doubt. LSU will also smash Texas in the mouth. As far a defensive talent they are 1b to Bama only on the regular.

I think the boys at Ms ST would disagree with that in this modern era....

Coach34
07-13-2019, 04:01 PM

7-5 with a win over OM in the Egg is most likely- an 8th win is possible at Tenn. Big toss-up game there.

Williams, Rivers get drafted along with Gay, Thompson, Hill, and Dantzler declaring early for the draft.

2020 becomes the major rebuild after another year of losing a ton of talent, starters, and draft picks.

Jarius
07-13-2019, 04:55 PM

No, they just were not any good. LSU does have a lot of defensive talent. They also have a shitty offense every year which is why they aren’t ever going To be more than pretty good under This regime.

gravedigger
07-13-2019, 05:25 PM

We know Stevens is more familiar than Fitz with the offense. We know Zuber is an accomplished wr. We know the team has had an extra spring and will have had an extra August learning it.

Offense will be better. Now how much better is certainly a question. You and I agree about chemistry being the wild card variable. Defense might be our adventure.

Recruiting feels better but admittedly I can?t get a sense of it until Joe has 3 year recruits on the field.

Maybe it?s a slice more than shit.

FanninDawg
07-13-2019, 09:10 PM

You would. What happened to y?alls new board?

BogeyGolfer
07-14-2019, 10:43 AM

I pretty much agree on all points...I know last year was Joe's first year in the SEC but man the offense looked like shit in several games. The UK, UF and Iowa games come to mind. Last year we had posters claiming we would go 11-1 and 10-2 but yet we lost 5 games. Joe hasn't proven anything to me and tbh, I have no expectations this year, I will wait and see...I would assume 7/8 wins max due to the key loses on the defense. For some reason, several people on this board skip over the fact that we will have a drop off on defense, how can any rational person not realize this? We WILL give up more big plays this year and more points! Will Joe's offense be able to be productive is the question...

RiverCityDawg
07-14-2019, 11:02 AM
I pretty much agree on all points...I know last year was Joe's first year in the SEC but man the offense looked like shit in several games. The UK, UF and Iowa games come to mind. Last year we had posters claiming we would go 11-1 and 10-2 but yet we lost 5 games. Joe hasn't proven anything to me and tbh, I have no expectations this year, I will wait and see...I would assume 7/8 wins max due to the key loses on the defense. For some reason, several people on this board skip over the fact that we will have a drop off on defense, how can any rational person not realize this? We WILL give up more big plays this year and more points! Will Joe's offense be able to be productive is the question...

I wouldn't say "several" people are saying we won't have a drop off on defense. Just Coach007 that I've seen. In fact most have repeated often that we WILL have a drop off at defense, the question is just how much. The counter balance to that is most people also expect some offensive improvement.

Back to defense, the drop off depends on how quickly our inexperienced DT's can adjust to significant playing time and how healthy we can stay with our starters in the back 7. I'm comfortable with our starters back there but the depth is questionable. People keep repeating that we have quality depth at linebacker and it's just not true, not that we know of at least.

gravedigger
07-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Pretty optimistic given the questions. 9 wins seems doable though

Tbonewannabe
07-14-2019, 11:09 AM
You do realize we had a top 10 strength of schedule last year and you are saying that because some people said 10-11 wins that is a huge disappointment? So a first time SEC coach with a QB that doesn't fit his system is supposed to have at minimum the 2nd best season in school history? It seems most people are angry we didn't go on the road and beat any top 10 teams which is insane when you say it out loud. We returned a top 15 defense that was prone to give up big plays.

This same team was shutdown by UGA and Auburn the previous year but now is supposed to not let that happen. I don't know if Joe's offense will work against great teams but I do know Mullen's didn't do it as consistently as people now think it did.

Coach007
07-14-2019, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't say "several" people are saying we won't have a drop off on defense. Just Coach007 that I've seen. In fact most have repeated often that we WILL have a drop off at defense, the question is just how much. The counter balance to that is most people also expect some offensive improvement.

I have never stated that we would not have a drop off. I stated that it won't throw us off the map on defense. What I have stated is I expect the defense to be top 15.

Back to defense, the drop off depends on how quickly our inexperienced DT's can adjust to significant playing time and how healthy we can stay with our starters in the back 7. I'm comfortable with our starters back there but the depth is questionable. People keep repeating that we have quality depth at linebacker and it's just not true, not that we know of at least.

True. The DTs will be the ones to watch.

Ari Gold
07-14-2019, 11:35 AM
I dont know many or anyone that have said the defense won’t take a step back. How far back we will see. I don’t think it will be near as far as most think
Again we cant replace Simmons and not but a handful of schools can. But he didn’t play every snap last year nor did Sweat. I think we can all agree replacing Thomas and Hoyette will easily be done

And yes theres is still a bad taste in everyones mouth with a couple of games we lost. Do you all not think that same taste in this staffs mouth and players ?
And those four loses 3 played in NYE6 games and UK did play and beat PSU in the citrus bowl
Its not liked we lost to South Alabama or OM...

Its pretty sad when this fan base cant get behind , create some excitement and create a buzz about a team that the national publications and so called experts feel pretty good about..
lose 3 guys in the first round of the nfl draft and still damn near everyone has us in the top 25

And btw with our starting 22 and 2 deep what positions besides DL and S are we not going to be as good or better at next year ??
And before anyone says QB... trust me it’s going to be an overall upgrade

gravedigger
07-14-2019, 11:54 AM
I dont know many or anyone that have said the defense won?t take a step back. How far back we will see. I don?t think it will be near as far as most think
Again we cant replace Simmons and not but a handful of schools can. But he didn?t play every snap last year nor did Sweat. I think we can all agree replacing Thomas and Hoyette will easily be done

And yes theres is still a bad taste in everyones mouth with a couple of games we lost. Do you all not think that same taste in this staffs mouth and players ?
And those four loses 3 played in NYE6 games and UK did play and beat PSU in the citrus bowl

Its pretty sad when this fan base cant get behind , create some excitement and create a buzz about a team that the national publications and so called experts feel pretty good about..
lose 3 guys in the first round of the nfl draft and still damn near everyone has us in the top 25

And btw with our starting 22 and 2 deep what positions besides DL and S are we not going to be as good or better at next year ??
And before anyone says QB... trust me it?s going to be an overall upgrade

well stated

I think of my military career but any training in general. The first sessions and application are pretty much a mixed bag of execution. Then, a rhythm starts to surface. It doesnt make things perfect, but it gets moving parts in sync. If I had to think of an overall upgrade on offense, thats what I imagine.

Some people are banking on six or seven wins to make themselves feel better if we lose a game we are supposed to win.

Some want that 'I told you so" moment. There isnt one. This season is a great unknown. I just think at the end, we will be on a positive track for the future rather than an negative.

Coach007
07-14-2019, 11:56 AM
I dont know many or anyone that have said the defense won’t take a step back. How far back we will see. I don’t think it will be near as far as most think
Again we cant replace Simmons and not but a handful of schools can. But he didn’t play every snap last year nor did Sweat. I think we can all agree replacing Thomas and Hoyette will easily be done

https://media.giphy.com/media/NnGGHE0muVqpO/giphy.gif

Coach34
07-14-2019, 03:28 PM
I think we can all agree replacing Thomas and Hoyette will easily be done

Here is where we disagree. I dont think we have a DT on the roster that will be as good in 2019 as those 2 were in 2018. Thomas is expected to make the Dolphins roster and I believe Hoyette ends up on one if he doesnt hold on in Tenn. With Simmons sitting the 1st half of the season- gives Hoyette a good chance there.

Ari Gold
07-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Here is where we disagree. I dont think we have a DT on the roster that will be as good in 2019 as those 2 were in 2018. Thomas is expected to make the Dolphins roster and I believe Hoyette ends up on one if he doesnt hold on in Tenn. With Simmons sitting the 1st half of the season- gives Hoyette a good chance there.

Experience no.
Talent (minus Simmons) yes.
If we just want to go off stats alone Autry and Harris numbers weren’t far behind Hoyett and Thomas and I’m guessing they prob got half the amount of snaps
Not to mention Trey Brown ate up a lot of those snaps for those guys as well..

Throw in Love ( if eligible), the red shirt guys and maybe Pickering if he is ready and we can for sure get the production up front with these guys as we did when Simmons wasn’t In the game .

Not arguing it’s for sure our biggest question mark .
Again there is no way we can replace Simmons and his absence will also hurt the DE but Rivers had pretty good numbers And is a Pro. Spencer was a starter as a true freshman.
Kobe had like a half dozen tackles behind the LOS and Fletcher is a solid player and both bring SEC experience
Can Coach Adams be close to the X and O guy that Baker was? that’s a question mark as well, but he is already well ahead on the recruiting side of things over Baker...

HoopsDawg
07-14-2019, 06:37 PM

It's just hard to brush over the fact that 3 of our 4 on the 2 deep at DT haven't played a meaningful snap. 2 redshirt freshmen, and 1 guy who was a center last year. I think everyone can agree we will take a step back at DT, but will it be a disaster? I don't know, but it could be.

Ari Gold
07-14-2019, 07:11 PM
It's just hard to brush over the fact that 3 of our 4 on the 2 deep at DT haven't played a meaningful snap. 2 redshirt freshmen, and 1 guy who was a center last year. I think everyone can agree we will take a step back at DT, but will it be a disaster? I don't know, but it could be.

Autry, Harris, Love (if eligible)
And I think if we have too we can move Spencer inside some
I wasn’t brushing off the lack of returning depth at DL
And not saying it isn’t an issue .. but we won’t be running Walkons or 2stars out there ..
Just need a couple of young talented kids to step up..

And thanks to the OL recruiting by this staff we are allowed to move Jackson back to the defensive side of the ball.. where he belongs

Coach007
07-14-2019, 07:22 PM
And not saying it isn’t an issue .. but we won’t be running Walkons or 2stars out there ..

And thanks to the OL recruiting by this staff we are allowed to move Jackson back to the defensive side of the ball.. where he belongs

You have Jones too, but my understanding is Lovett is far better and ready to roll. He, as a RS, will jump Jones

Homedawg
07-14-2019, 07:39 PM

Harris is gone...I like the young talent. But it's unproven and well, young.

bulldawg28
07-14-2019, 07:54 PM
7-5 with a win over OM in the Egg is most likely- an 8th win is possible at Tenn. Big toss-up game there.

Williams, Rivers get drafted along with Gay, Thompson, Hill, and Dantzler declaring early for the draft.

2020 becomes the major rebuild after another year of losing a ton of talent, starters, and draft picks.

Brian Cole is getting drafted

bulldawg28
07-14-2019, 08:00 PM

Thomas stayed hurt and never reached his potential imo. Hoyett never made plays consistently. He was a contributor for depth soley on defense.

Coach34
07-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Thomas stayed hurt and never reached his potential imo. Hoyett never made plays consistently. He was a contributor for depth soley on defense.

Yet- amazingly- we were one of the best 3-4 DL's in the country in 2018. And very few of the guys returning made that happen- especially at DT

Homedawg
07-14-2019, 09:30 PM

I know you know, but DT's in this system don't have to make plays just clog holes and take up blockers and make plays when it presents itself. Hoyett did a good job of that. And the depth part is HUGE. We now have zero. No need to comment on Simmons again, that's been covered. If we end up w a top 15 defense Shoop deserves and award. Hell even top 20.

timotheus
07-15-2019, 07:14 AM
Lovett is the key.

Ari Gold
07-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Harris is gone...I like the young talent. But it's unproven and well, young.

You are correct.. I thought Harris was a SR this year.

BuckyIsAB****
07-15-2019, 08:32 PM

Hate to be this guy but a lot of kids on the team were glad Peters was gone...we will be ok there. He wasnt as good as Smitherman or Dantzler last year

Ari Gold
07-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Hate to be this guy but a lot of kids on the team were glad Peters was gone...we will be ok there. He wasnt as good as Smitherman or Dantzler last year

Agree with the wasn’t as good as Smitherman ..
Cole , landrews, CJ Morgan, Fred Peters, Murphy, that’s a lot of talent to have at the safety and backend positions as well.
The backend will be strong again for us and having Shoop is huge... you all saw the jump Abram made last year

And back to Cole.. if he stays healthy this year.. he will make himself a lot of money.

Coach34
09-29-2019, 07:18 PM
Fun to bump and see how people thought about things 2 months ago vs now

msstate7
09-29-2019, 07:23 PM
In what planet is LSU @ home a sure loss?

Regardless my point is it should be an easier game than last year on the road.

Same with UT vs. UF.

I'd say earth.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 07:26 PM
I'd say earth.

LMFAO ... only you would find that so quickly and put it right back out there.

Homedawg
09-29-2019, 07:33 PM
And 2 months later 007 still arguing shit that he was told would happen. Now it's just excuses.

Coursesuper
09-29-2019, 07:40 PM
And 2 months later 007 still arguing shit that he was told would happen. Now it's just excuses.

Double Naught will never be wrong, just ask him.

Homedawg
09-29-2019, 07:40 PM

I tried to warn him

Homedawg
09-29-2019, 07:42 PM
Nah. I know that we could drop a game due to a fluke or even to a better team.

My predictions are from the belief that the defense will not be worse than 15th in the nation and that the offense will be more than a little improved due to the OL, the QB seeing the field better and more accurate.

We beat Auburn last year and not much has changed for them, but a ton has changed for Ms St. I don't see UT being an issue either. 6-0 is not a pie in the sky type thing.

More stupidity.

Homedawg
09-29-2019, 07:44 PM
And could be helped by different schemes this year.

Shoop states they will be improved.

You don't know that...Period.

You think that due to 1 guy because last years performance shows the group will improve at the DE position.

..... this is comical.

Homedawg
09-29-2019, 07:45 PM
I think LSU is gonna be really good this year. Maybe I'm wrong... we'll see

Not to leave anyone out. But 7 vs trap. Looks like 7 might be more accurate. Just maybe.

Coach34
09-29-2019, 07:46 PM
Him trying to tell me the pass rush would be about the same was why I saved the thread. I knew that shit wasnt happening

Coursesuper
09-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Y'all please keep rolling with the wisdom of the Double Naught spy, it's fantastic.

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Not to leave anyone out. But 7 vs trap. Looks like 7 might be more accurate. Just maybe.

Yeah, gotta give 7 his props. He was right.

Homedawg
09-29-2019, 07:53 PM
Y'all please keep rolling with the wisdom of the Double Naught spy, it's fantastic.

When people say it before hand and others say otherwise, well......

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 07:53 PM
Still trying to figure out why everyone always wants to assume LSU is a somewhat sure win for us. And AU too. And TN in year 2 of Pruitt. Sure they may be right but they also thought Kirby wasn't nothing special in year 1.

Coach34
09-29-2019, 08:10 PM
Still trying to figure out why everyone always wants to assume LSU is a somewhat sure win for us. And AU too. And TN in year 2 of Pruitt. Sure they may be right but they also thought Kirby wasn't nothing special in year 1.

Too many fans are prisoners of the moment and dont understand the situations people walk into can be vastly different. Plus- sometimes people just see what they want to see. Like Orgeron- if you cant see that he has matured into a solid HC you are an idiot. He has figured out he can be the HC at LSU a long time if he will recruit like Hell and let his Coordinators do their thing. It's showing up on the field now. He is still a meathead moron- but he isnt too dumb to keep making the same mistakes and has figured out to stick to things he is good at- recruiting and motivation

Maroonthirteen
09-29-2019, 08:10 PM
No Gunn. No boy. Tammy.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 08:14 PM
Too many fans are prisoners of the moment and dont understand the situations people walk into can be vastly different. Plus- sometimes people just see what they want to see. Like Orgeron- if you cant see that he has matured into a solid HC you are an idiot. He has figured out he can be the HC at LSU a long time if he will recruit like Hell and let his Coordinators do their thing. It's showing up on the field now. He is still a meathead moron- but he isnt too dumb to keep making the same mistakes and has figured out to stick to things he is good at- recruiting and motivation

My thoughts almost exactly ... I think the "meathead moron" is funny as hell and I like the guy. I wanna see them win it all this year.

chef dixon
09-29-2019, 08:16 PM

Meanwhile our guy is more interested digging through chapter 47 of the playbook looking for a magic play while the play clock is on 00 and our starting safety just hit a guy 5 feet out of bounds, and we aren't even on defense

Coursesuper
09-29-2019, 08:27 PM

Coach you nailed that, the guy figured it out and fell right in that nest of idiots lap. He will win big there, they can get any player in La they ever want, and they have the resources to compete with anyone in the country. They will only get stronger.

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2019, 08:29 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Zn5TWF1n/F7912-F4-B-C2-D2-412-E-972-D-AE10-E0-BC8590.jpg

Homedawg
09-29-2019, 10:08 PM
And the crickets go chirp chirp

Coach34
09-29-2019, 10:10 PM
notice 007 is nowhere near this damn thread

Coursesuper
09-30-2019, 05:19 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/Zn5TWF1n/F7912-F4-B-C2-D2-412-E-972-D-AE10-E0-BC8590.jpg

This is Double Naught after listening Rosebowls podcast.

CadaverDawg
09-30-2019, 09:12 AM
notice 007 is nowhere near this damn thread

He spent all night searching for dumber posts in this forum's history, but hasn't found any yet. News flash, he won't. Dude is either dumb as hell or just a very bored troll.....at this point it might be the better play for him to just say "gotcha!", and take off running and create a new username.

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/isZzxzZLmgEvu/giphy.gif

PMDawg
09-30-2019, 12:55 PM
I'm not generally a fan of 34, but we've been eye to eye on this season, and JoMo, all summer.

And 34 owned a lot of people in this thread.

I'm typically an Ari Gold fan, but even he blew it ITT.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 02:13 PM
I'm not generally a fan of 34, but we've been eye to eye on this season, and JoMo, all summer.

And 34 owned a lot of people in this thread.

I'm typically an Ari Gold fan, but even he blew it ITT.

I will admit that our defense is a lot shittier than I thought. I probably gave too much credit to Shoop. I believed the Cole hype along with the hype of Rivers. I thought we could scheme around some of the deficiencies at DT but I think we miss the player leadership a lot.

PMDawg
09-30-2019, 03:56 PM
I will admit that our defense is a lot shittier than I thought. I probably gave too much credit to Shoop. I believed the Cole hype along with the hype of Rivers. I thought we could scheme around some of the deficiencies at DT but I think we miss the player leadership a lot.

If we're being honest, it's worse than I thought too. I thought it would be in the 25 to 50 range, but that's a dream at this point. I knew the pass rush would be bad, but I didn't think the run defense and tackling would be non-existent.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 04:05 PM

We miss Willie Gays leadership on the field more than anything. Heard from several defensive players this weekend that he makes things run on D and that we just don't have anyone else right now to fill his leadership void. Erroll Thompson is well respected and looked up to but just not the alpha that Wille is and that Simmons and Abrams were.

TrapGame
09-30-2019, 04:10 PM
We miss Willie Gays leadership on the field more than anything. Heard from several defensive players this weekend that he makes things run on D and that we just don't have anyone else right now to fill his leadership void. Erroll Thompson is well respected and looked up to but just not the alpha that Wille is and that Simmons and Abrams were.

And that's why with Gay in against Tennessee it will look like a completely different animal.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 04:16 PM
And that's why with Gay in against Tennessee it will look like a completely different animal.

And unfortunately we can't gamble with the 3 games he has left. He has to play against UT and UM and very well might have to play against Ark. It would depend on what they look like as a team at that time. Ark probably should have beaten A&M. If they are getting it together then you need to keep Gay back for that game instead of playing him at A&M. We can afford to lose A&M but not Ark.

TrapGame
09-30-2019, 04:17 PM
And unfortunately we can't gamble with the 3 games he has left. He has to play against UT and UM and very well might have to play against Ark. It would depend on what they look like as a team at that time. Ark probably should have beaten A&M. If they are getting it together then you need to keep Gay back for that game instead of playing him at A&M. We can afford to lose A&M but not Ark.

Yep. Gotta agree with you here.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 04:26 PM

Yep Ut arky and unm are all must wins. We have to get those games. No margin for error.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 04:27 PM
Yep. Gotta agree with you here.

The good thing is at least the A&M game is the week before the Arkansas game.

BogeyGolfer
09-30-2019, 05:40 PM

I forgot about this thread....Yes, I tried my best to explain to this board that you will have a drop off after losing three first rounders but some people have to see it to believe it. Pretty easy to see now....

HoopsDawg
09-30-2019, 11:13 PM

Damn I'm good. Why does anyone ever disagree with me?

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Damn I'm good. Why does anyone ever disagree with me?

I personally thought we would drop from #1 to #25-30 but we would still be good. I bought into the hype of Rivers being just a little behind Sweat (Rivers is just showing as an average DE) and Cole (he is good but we miss Abram's brain as much as everything else). Then losing Autry and Gay is just more than this defense could take. Leo is at best an average LB and Errol has taken a step back to close to average but still a little above.

I also gave too much credit to Shoop in that I thought he could scheme around some of the issues but we haven't done too well with that. Dantzler and Smitherman have been good but not great and we have actually played Jarrian Jones and Emerson more than I would have thought 2 freshmen should be in the game. Dantzler being banged up some has not helped matters.

Jarius
10-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Fun to see the people who only have a problem with certain posters bumping threads while their king can do it with no one bitching.

dantheman4248
10-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Fun to see the people who only have a problem with certain posters bumping threads while their king can do it with no one bitching.

He gets his own rules. I’ve been told not to call him names but he can consistently ignore being told not to use Joevester, Plastic Man, etc.

Just accept that we want this state to be like Texas so bad we worship a high school coach over everything else.