PDA

View Full Version : Is This the Best Shape Our OL Has Ever Been in Entering Fall Camp?

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2019, 05:12 PM
If you really want to be optimistic about the upcoming football season & looking for the unit on the team that could absolutely dominate, look no further than the OL.

Rosebowl even made a prediction today on the Boneyard that this year's OL will be better than last year's.

- Every starting O-lineman has started games before.
- 2nd year of JoMo system & Johnson coaching
- Due to talent, players have been able to move to their natural position.
- Starters are being backed up by & will be pushed by more naturally talented players.

LT - Tyre Phillips, Dolla Bill 4*, Charles Cross 5*. Tyre is arguably the most athletic starting OL on the team. Also moves Eiland to his more natural RT. Holy hell look at that depth

LG - Dareuan Parker, Michael Story - Perhaps biggest question on the OL but both of these guys have played a ton

C - Darryl Williams - NFL Player & our best OL

RG - Stewart Reese - Potential road grader!!!! Natural position but had good enough feet to play RT the past 2 years. 6'5" 340. Watch out. LaQuinston Sharp

RT - Tommy Champion/Greg Eiland - Good battle in Fall practice, but both of these a good options.

All in all, I see experience, depth, & talent. I believe getting Reese & Williams to their most natural positions could be hellacious & I love the depth of this group. We have others as well that aren't even listed here.

If OL play really is the heart & soul of a football team & if MSU is to win more than 8 games, look no further than this OL being the reason why. If Stevens, Zuber, Guidry, & the virus can back the safeties out of the box, we SHOULD be one of the best rushing teams in the SEC.

I think it's a viable question to ask if our OL is one of the most underrated units in the country

R2Dawg
07-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Good points shotgun and I agree. Lot to like and lot of talent potential on OL. I am getting a gut feeling that the O might just figure some stuff out this year. We have talent at every position, proven talent no but we have talent.

msu15
07-10-2019, 06:20 PM
That LT depth is insane.....I’m giddy!

Dolphus Raymond
07-10-2019, 06:40 PM
It is certainly refreshing that we are not bitching about the OL during the pre-season. First time in many years where the OL is actually considered an asset, rather than a liability. This OL may be the best since THE KANG!! roamed the sidelines??

msu15
07-10-2019, 06:54 PM
It is certainly refreshing that we are not bitching about the OL during the pre-season. First time in many years where the OL is actually considered an asset, rather than a liability. This OL may be the best since THE KANG!! roamed the sidelines??

Good chance in terms of depth. The starting groups in 2009 and 2010 were good

Todd4State
07-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Yes. It has taken a year to get the stench of Hevesy out of our offensive line. We're still a little thin at center though. Getting Cole Smith would help that out a lot.

As I said a couple of days ago the tackle positions were huge liabilities- and that's mainly Hevesy's fault because we simply didn't have a LT. And that forced us to play a RT at LT- a RT that may be a back-up this year by the way- and a guard at the other tackle spot.

Really no excuse as to why we shouldn't average at least one-two four star offensive linemen a cycle.

msstate7
07-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Good chance in terms of depth. The starting groups in 2009 and 2010 were good

And 2016 and 2017 according to this metric...

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol2016

Covercorner2
07-10-2019, 07:29 PM
Not exactly sure why, but I?m really excited about Tommy Champion. He seems pretty versatile, and I think he?s going to have a huge year...

msu15
07-10-2019, 07:41 PM
And 2016 and 2017 according to this metric...

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol2016

Definitely in 16 once Rankin and Jenkins settled in.