PDA

View Full Version : Blaze Jordan

ZedFedder
07-09-2019, 02:57 PM
He won the HS home run derby. Austin Hendrick also competed.

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2019, 03:12 PM
I wish by some miracle he would make it to State, but they're now talking about him possibly being the top overall pick in the draft.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2019, 03:29 PM
I believe that ship has sailed, just have to tell him congrats and hope he always considers himself a bulldog similar to Roy Oswalt.

timotheus
07-09-2019, 03:34 PM
A KC scout recently told me that is he had to hand pick a guy who has the tools to be the next Bryce Harper that he would pick Blaze Jordan hands down.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Interesting

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2019, 03:37 PM
A KC scout recently told me that is he had to hand pick a guy who has the tools to be the next Bryce Harper that he would pick Blaze Jordan hands down.

I have a hard time believing a real MLB scout would compare a left handed right fielder to the right handed 3rd base/1st baseman

preachermatt83
07-09-2019, 03:55 PM
I have a hard time believing a real MLB scout would compare a left handed right fielder to the right handed 3rd base/1st baseman

Lol!!

timotheus
07-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Well, he sure said it as we chatted after watching Jared Johnson pitch at Smithville High School back in April or May. He was speaking mainly on his bat skills I believe.

dawgs
07-09-2019, 04:08 PM
I still have a hard time predicting a guy projected to be a 1B in the pros is getting drafted in the 1st round out of HS. 1B pretty much have to come close to making out their offensive potential to make an impact at the MLB level, whereas guys in more demanding defensive positions can impact even if they don't max out their bat because defense plays a much stronger roll in their productivity. 1B is also treated as the spot where elite bats who aren't MLB caliber defensively elsewhere get stuck so they can contribute, thus teams often have a log jam of guys that project as 1B who can hit and that decreases the value of a guys who are being drafted as 1B. Especially a right handed bat.

I may be entirely wrong and Jordan might be such a ridiculously elite bat that teams look past conventional and advanced draft approaches to snag him, but I'd bet by draft night he's fallen down the board.

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2019, 04:16 PM
I still have a hard time predicting a guy projected to be a 1B in the pros is getting drafted in the 1st round out of HS. 1B pretty much have to come close to making out their offensive potential to make an impact at the MLB level, whereas guys in more demanding defensive positions can impact even if they don't max out their bat because defense plays a much stronger roll in their productivity. 1B is also treated as the spot where elite bats who aren't MLB caliber defensively elsewhere get stuck so they can contribute, thus teams often have a log jam of guys that project as 1B who can hit and that decreases the value of a guys who are being drafted as 1B. Especially a right handed bat.

I may be entirely wrong and Jordan might be such a ridiculously elite bat that teams look past conventional and advanced draft approaches to snag him, but I'd bet by draft night he's fallen down the board.

If he somehow ends up here that HR record of 29 might just fall. This kid has next level bat speed.....and had it at 15 years old.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Well, he sure said it as we chatted after watching Jared Johnson pitch at Smithville High School back in April or May. He was speaking mainly on his bat skills I believe.

Gotcha. I'd be curious if his opinion has changed since then

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2019, 04:22 PM

THIS THIS THIS

Listen to this man. He gets it!

Todd4State
07-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Austin Hendricks is the guy that is less likely to make it to campus. I know that may make some people Internet mad to hear that- but for most mock drafts he is rated ahead of Blaze right now. He has blown up this summer.

Basically it comes down to how much money Blaze wants and if someone is willing to pay that and I don't know what those numbers are right now.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Austin Hendricks is the guy that is less likely to make it to campus. I know that may make some people Internet mad to hear that- but for most mock drafts he is rated ahead of Blaze right now. He has blown up this summer.

Basically it comes down to how much money Blaze wants and if someone is willing to pay that and I don't know what those numbers are right now.

correct. Hendricks is gone. He's actually the Bryce Harper comparison. Not Blaze

If we somehow managed to 2 of the 3 between Hendricks, Blaze, & Kellum Clark on campus, we'd have a hellacious middle of our lineup

Todd4State
07-09-2019, 04:25 PM

Which is why he is playing third base now.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2019, 04:26 PM

He's trying to play 3B. Doesn't mean he can

Todd4State
07-09-2019, 04:29 PM
correct. Hendricks is gone. He's actually the Bryce Harper comparison. Not Blaze

If we somehow managed to 2 of the 3 between Hendricks, Blaze, & Kellum Clark on campus, we'd have a hellacious middle of our lineup

Yeah. Harper obviously has the light tower/tape measure power like Blaze but Harper also has elite speed and arm strength. Really it's an apples and oranges comparison because we're talking two different positions here. Clark is really good too. Probably underrated in Mississippi because of Blaze at least to a degree. Two of three would be the best power hitting duo in a recruiting class since Clark/Palmeiro. I'd guess odds are we get one if any. And I'm saying that without knowing anyone's numbers.

Todd4State
07-09-2019, 04:31 PM
He's trying to play 3B. Doesn't mean he can

True. But it also doesn't mean he can't either. It remains to be seen. If by chance he can't I would imagine a guy like Gautreau who playing third base in the pros could really help him out a lot.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2019, 04:48 PM
True. But it also doesn't mean he can't either. It remains to be seen. If by chance he can't I would imagine a guy like Gautreau who playing third base in the pros could really help him out a lot.

It's a size & athleticism concern. Nothing that can really be taught

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Yeah. Harper obviously has the light tower/tape measure power like Blaze but Harper also has elite speed and arm strength. Really it's an apples and oranges comparison because we're talking two different positions here. Clark is really good too. Probably underrated in Mississippi because of Blaze at least to a degree. Two of three would be the best power hitting duo in a recruiting class since Clark/Palmeiro. I'd guess odds are we get one if any. And I'm saying that without knowing anyone's numbers.

Clark can really hit.

Would be interesting to talk to people that have actually seen both play who they think the better hitter is.

dawgs
07-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Playing 3B in HS (or even college and into the minors) ain't the same as playing it in MLB. If MLB scouts don't project him as at least a good bet to be serviceable at 3B, it's gonna tank his draft stock. Plus usually guys don't play 1B initially in HS if they have the athleticism to play elsewhere on the diamond, and almost any potential MLB 1st round pick should be the best athlete on his HS team and able to handle non-1B defensive duties better than most of his teammates. The fact that Jordan is just now trying to move off 1B indicates to me that he's got a long way to go to be serviceable defensively elsewhere on the diamond, or else he'd probably have already been there unless his HS team was stacked with future MLB draft picks and P5 signees.

Commercecomet24
07-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Clark can really hit.

Would be interesting to talk to people that have actually seen both play who they think the better hitter is.

I've seen em both. We played against Clark twice this year and twice last year and we held him in check at the plate. He only had 3 hits in thosev4 games and only one for extra bases(double)and I've seen Blaze play at WWBA NC the last 2 years. Blaze is a much better hitter but Clark is more athletic. Both are great players but Blaze is ahead of Clark as a hitter

Leeshouldveflanked
07-09-2019, 07:17 PM

If it is the scout I think it is, he knows what he is talking about.

Cooterpoot
07-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Blaze is signing with MLB no matter what. You guys can question it, but I can tell you, he’s never playing at State.

timotheus
07-09-2019, 07:51 PM
If it is the scout I think it is, he knows what he is talking about.

yep. you were at smithville that day too then I assume. I enjoyed talking to the Bama scout better til I realized where he was from though.

MetEdDawg
07-09-2019, 08:12 PM
Blaze is signing with MLB no matter what. You guys can question it, but I can tell you, he’s never playing at State.

It would be a lot easier for our fan base to think this way about Blaze. He's been on the MLB radar for 3 years. He's not coming to campus and it would be easiest for everyone to just go ahead and make it easy on themselves to not hold out hope for him to make it.

Unless something absolutely nuts happens, he's going Top 10, probably Top 5. He's got MLB power now and positions don't matter in today's game as much as they did a decade ago. Who projected Austin Riley to LF 4 years ago? No one. Why? Because it doesn't matter because he hits a lot of tanks. You find him a spot.

Blaze won't be in Starkville.

dawgs
07-09-2019, 08:39 PM
It would be a lot easier for our fan base to think this way about Blaze. He's been on the MLB radar for 3 years. He's not coming to campus and it would be easiest for everyone to just go ahead and make it easy on themselves to not hold out hope for him to make it.

Unless something absolutely nuts happens, he's going Top 10, probably Top 5. He's got MLB power now and positions don't matter in today's game as much as they did a decade ago. Who projected Austin Riley to LF 4 years ago? No one. Why? Because it doesn't matter because he hits a lot of tanks. You find him a spot.

A high level minor leaguer who also got some mlb run at 3B until the starter came back heathy has already displayed a much higher defensive acumen than a guy who's played 1B his whole life and is trying to move to 3B his senior year before he's draft eligible.

Defense absolutely matters, it's why a guy like Jackie Bradley jr is still a well regarded CF even though he hits like shit.

Blaze may go top 5 or 10, but it'd be against historical norms for a 1B to go that high out of HS.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2019, 08:48 PM

Wow....

MaroonFlounder
07-09-2019, 09:09 PM

Literally no one in this thread is questioning that this kid is MLB bound.

MaroonFlounder
07-09-2019, 09:11 PM

No shit.

I've read ZERO comments that say there's even a chance.

Todd4State
07-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Playing 3B in HS (or even college and into the minors) ain't the same as playing it in MLB. If MLB scouts don't project him as at least a good bet to be serviceable at 3B, it's gonna tank his draft stock. Plus usually guys don't play 1B initially in HS if they have the athleticism to play elsewhere on the diamond, and almost any potential MLB 1st round pick should be the best athlete on his HS team and able to handle non-1B defensive duties better than most of his teammates. The fact that Jordan is just now trying to move off 1B indicates to me that he's got a long way to go to be serviceable defensively elsewhere on the diamond, or else he'd probably have already been there unless his HS team was stacked with future MLB draft picks and P5 signees.

I agree. I'm just saying that he's trying.

Todd4State
07-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Riley will be moved to third base in the near future for the Braves once Josh Donaldson leaves which is probably next year FWIW. There are crazy things that happen in the draft all the time. Remember one year ago everyone was saying that Jarrion Ealy was definitely gone too.

I think in general most people are blinded by a youtube video calling Blaze the next Bryce Harper when someone like Paul Goldschmidt may be a better comparison.

Todd4State
07-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Some people just like to piss in Cherrios I guess.

MarketingBully
07-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Some people just like to piss in Cherrios I guess.

Didn’t everyone say the same thing about Ginn?

Todd4State
07-09-2019, 10:06 PM
Didn’t everyone say the same thing about Ginn?

Well, Commerce didn't. Probably some people said that before he was drafted. A lot of people except for Commerce definitely said that after he was drafted. Most of the people I had talked to said that he was coming to MSU.

There have been others in the past though too- like Dakota Hudson and Brandon Woodruff off the top of my head. It definitely happens. I remember a lot of people saying that Seth Beer would never go to college either and he went to Clemson.

Personally- my two cents specifically on Blaze. There is some reason to think that he could go to MSU and there is also about as many people that think he will go pro. The biggest thing that worries me personally is that he is connected to Dulin's Dodgers. If he played for the EC Sox I would feel better about it. If Scott Boras is his advisior I would feel better about him coming to MSU. And if I was Chris Lemonis and Jake Gautreau my ass would be making that call to Boras ASAP if he hasn't already. If Tim Dulin is his advisor he's probably not coming to MSU.

Dawgcap
07-09-2019, 10:21 PM
Whatever he decides you can’t blame him. Live changing decision ahead. In State players need to look at their future if baseball doesn’t work out also. Ginn is set in the MSU community if baseball doesn’t work out. He’s a hero. Could be the same with Blaze but bottom line big money talks. We will win 1-2 but lose several too the influence of MLB immediate dreams. I’ll never blame the pro decision

MetEdDawg
07-09-2019, 10:22 PM
A high level minor leaguer who also got some mlb run at 3B until the starter came back heathy has already displayed a much higher defensive acumen than a guy who's played 1B his whole life and is trying to move to 3B his senior year before he's draft eligible.

Defense absolutely matters, it's why a guy like Jackie Bradley jr is still a well regarded CF even though he hits like shit.

Blaze may go top 5 or 10, but it'd be against historical norms for a 1B to go that high out of HS.

Defense does matter. But all 3 Braves OF are in the negative defensive run differential. But it doesn't matter because they all rake. It's why I don't expect to see Ender back in Atlanta even though he's obviously far superior defensively in CF to Acu?a. But the dude can't hit. So he's not going to play even though he's a gold glove winner.

If you think defense and specific positions matter like it did a decade ago you clearly don't watch much pro baseball. Of course it matters, but nowhere near what it did. And Jackie Bradley Jr is on a team that's 9 games out of 1st place and he is making 8.5 million dollars this year. Well below what his peers signed for in the offseason in free agency. That .233 batting average and the sub .400 slugging is going to find him starting on a bad team or on the bench of a good team. Not a very good comparison to prove a point because the contracts given out this past offseason blow what he got out of the water.

Modern pro baseball values bigger offensive numbers more than defense. Period. Homers and RBI sell tickets and that's where the game is going.

Dawgcap
07-09-2019, 10:32 PM
My thoughts are it ain’t cheap even with money to travel and develop a youngster from 10-12 year old. How much has the family sacrificed financially and mentally to a dream like this. Unfortunately baseball is and always will be an expensive sport to be recognized.

IMAREBL2 AND A DAWG
07-09-2019, 11:14 PM

Not to hijack the thread here but I have heard that offense is a bigger demand than defense these days. The reason I bring this up is because my son has an awesome glove but struggles at the dish. I?m curious what colleges would think about him.

Todd4State
07-10-2019, 12:16 AM
Defense does matter. But all 3 Braves OF are in the negative defensive run differential. But it doesn't matter because they all rake. It's why I don't expect to see Ender back in Atlanta even though he's obviously far superior defensively in CF to Acu?a. But the dude can't hit. So he's not going to play even though he's a gold glove winner.

If you think defense and specific positions matter like it did a decade ago you clearly don't watch much pro baseball. Of course it matters, but nowhere near what it did. And Jackie Bradley Jr is on a team that's 9 games out of 1st place and he is making 8.5 million dollars this year. Well below what his peers signed for in the offseason in free agency. That .233 batting average and the sub .400 slugging is going to find him starting on a bad team or on the bench of a good team. Not a very good comparison to prove a point because the contracts given out this past offseason blow what he got out of the water.

Modern pro baseball values bigger offensive numbers more than defense. Period. Homers and RBI sell tickets and that's where the game is going.

Not to hijack the thread here but I have heard that offense is a bigger demand than defense these days. The reason I bring this up is because my son has an awesome glove but struggles at the dish. I?m curious what colleges would think about him.

But here's the thing as far as the draft goes:

If you have player that can potentially hit for power AND defend you're going to take that player over someone that only has power. We're talking about the draft here- and it's in part about total package value to the team. In other words they are going to draft higher and give more money to the guy that can do both as opposed to the guy that can do one. It's about investment.

In your example- it's also why Christian Pache is going to start over Enciarte when he is ready. Because he can potentially do both. He's just not quite ready for MLB yet.

basedog
07-10-2019, 08:04 AM
My thoughts are it ain’t cheap even with money to travel and develop a youngster from 10-12 year old. How much has the family sacrificed financially and mentally to a dream like this. Unfortunately baseball is and always will be an expensive sport to be recognized.

Yep, it's crazy especially the kids who have "star" potential, the sacrifice is huge for the parents evolved. Keeping things in prospect is very important for the kid and parents. I have someone of interest as a parent and player evolved, it amazes me seeing the sacrifice.

louisvilledawg
07-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Well, Commerce didn't. Probably some people said that before he was drafted. A lot of people except for Commerce definitely said that after he was drafted. Most of the people I had talked to said that he was coming to MSU.

There have been others in the past though too- like Dakota Hudson and Brandon Woodruff off the top of my head. It definitely happens. I remember a lot of people saying that Seth Beer would never go to college either and he went to Clemson.

Personally- my two cents specifically on Blaze. There is some reason to think that he could go to MSU and there is also about as many people that think he will go pro. The biggest thing that worries me personally is that he is connected to Dulin's Dodgers. If he played for the EC Sox I would feel better about it. If Scott Boras is his advisior I would feel better about him coming to MSU. And if I was Chris Lemonis and Jake Gautreau my ass would be making that call to Boras ASAP if he hasn't already. If Tim Dulin is his advisor he's probably not coming to MSU.

Another thing that just adds to his all but guarantee he's going MLB, he reclassified to be in class of 2020. He's still only 16. He gone. Wish the kid nothing but the best. Think he loves MSU, but can't turn down millions of doll hairs.

Cooterpoot
07-10-2019, 10:31 AM

Literally a few were questioning if he?d go high enough due to position etc. That?s the questing I was referring to.

dawgs
07-10-2019, 12:17 PM
But here's the thing as far as the draft goes:

If you have player that can potentially hit for power AND defend you're going to take that player over someone that only has power. We're talking about the draft here- and it's in part about total package value to the team. In other words they are going to draft higher and give more money to the guy that can do both as opposed to the guy that can do one. It's about investment.

In your example- it's also why Christian Pache is going to start over Enciarte when he is ready. Because he can potentially do both. He's just not quite ready for MLB yet.

Exactly, no one is saying blaze won't be a MLBer, and maybe a really good one. What we are saying is that a HS 1B with limited defensive ability elsewhere is unlikely to be DRAFTED in the 1st round because the only way to return value is if he turns into a big bat, like .280/.350/.500 slash with 30-100 power expectations baseline. There's a lot of potholes in the path from great HS bat to great MLB bat. The path with less potholes to being a productive MLBer is through defense. If you can chase down balls or get to balls in the hole in HS, you don't suddenly forget how to chase down balls in MLB, so defense is much easier to project and a guy with a little less bat potential than blaze still may be an easier projection to make because their defense is gonna be easier to project, so it's less likely you are wasting a draft pick if you can potentially extract value from the player's defense or offense and potentially both. When there's no potential value in the defensive half of that equation, then it's less likely the player falters before making it to MLB.

dawgs
07-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Literally a few were questioning if he?d go high enough due to position etc. That?s the questing I was referring to.

We are questioning whether he'd be taken high enough keep him away from state. No one wondered if he has MLB potential (hard to say even 1st round picks are "MLB bound" since even most 1st rounders wash out), just that given his position, both history and advanced metrics of the modern game both say he's not gonna be a 1st round pick out of HS. is his bat really that much better than pujols out of college (13th rounder) or Paul goldschmidt out of college (8th rounder) to justify overlooking the his defensive limitations to take him as a 18 year old bat? And keep in mind pujols was among the best defensive 1Bs in my lifetime in his prime too, and goldschmidt has a few gold gloves too, so he's no slouch with the glove.

Cooterpoot
07-10-2019, 01:52 PM
And that was my point. It doesn’t matter if he’s 1st round or 8th round. He’s not coming to State- I’m just telling you what was being told last week. He’ll go top 10 rounds barring injury or something.

Maroonthirteen
07-10-2019, 01:53 PM

No kidding. There is a few post here that read as if there is still a chance.

There is no chance. He is going to MLB.

dawgs
07-10-2019, 02:58 PM
And that was my point. It doesn’t matter if he’s 1st round or 8th round. He’s not coming to State- I’m just telling you what was being told last week. He’ll go top 10 rounds barring injury or something.

We shall see, MLB draft pool money and slot money can create some weird situations, and a HS 1B is unlikely to get an offer significantly above slot. If he's pretty much made up his mind, then he's probably gone, but I don't know the kid and live far away from MS so it's not like I've got the down low from him or his support group directly, I'm just basing shit off both historical precedent and advanced metrics analysis when it comes to HS 1Bs (and often college 1Bs for that matter). If you have talked to his dad or some shit, then wonderful for you for having info I don't have access to.

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2019, 04:59 PM
No kidding. There is a few post here that read as if there is still a chance.

There is no chance. He is going to MLB.

Be careful making draft predictions when you don't understand what you're talking about

Maroonthirteen
07-10-2019, 09:39 PM
Be careful making draft predictions when you don't understand what you're talking about

My statement has nothing to do with his projected draft pick.

You don’t understand what you are talking about.