PDA

View Full Version : So Tommy Stevens could have been a grad transfer Last Year? Guess I missed that.

DancingRabbit
07-08-2019, 10:47 AM
Did Joe ask Franklin for him last year and get told "hell no"?

I wonder if he and Joe are still on good terms, or if he's tired of hearing about Joe Moorhead?

SI article from March 2018 I stumbled on
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/03/28/tommy-stevens-penn-state-trace-mcsorley-transfer

StarkVegasSteve
07-08-2019, 11:08 AM
I seem to remember there were rumblings that he was going to transfer here with Joe when he took the job. Nothing ever seemed to materialize out of it though.

Jack Lambert
07-08-2019, 11:14 AM
I seem to remember there were rumblings that he was going to transfer here with Joe when he took the job. Nothing ever seemed to materialize out of it though.

I would imagine Franklin said what he needed to say to get TS to stay. Now this season comes along and Franklin was unable to bull shit the kid. "If I was guessing"

msstate7
07-08-2019, 11:18 AM
I would imagine Franklin said what he needed to say to get TS to stay. Now this season comes along and Franklin was unable to bull shit the kid. "If I was guessing"

It kinda weird our fanbase has adopted this idea that franklin somehow screwed over Stevens by not giving him the starting job

Covercorner2
07-08-2019, 11:24 AM
What if Stevens is actually really good and was/has been upset that McSorley was the starter during his entire career? He wanted to transfer and this situation (Moorhead, Fitz is gone, Tommy has graduated,etc.) was the best time to pull the trigger and do it?

DancingRabbit
07-08-2019, 11:28 AM
It kinda weird our fanbase has adopted this idea that franklin somehow screwed over Stevens by not giving him the starting job

When Tommy was considering a change last year, it's possible promises were made that influenced him to stay. IF that happened, and if Franklin's staff mis-handled his injury, then someone could point fingers at Franklin.

I'm not saying Franklin screwed him over though. I don't know enough to say that.

msstate7
07-08-2019, 11:30 AM
What if Stevens is actually really good and was/has been upset that McSorley was the starter during his entire career? He wanted to transfer and this situation (Moorhead, Fitz is gone, Tommy has graduated,etc.) was the best time to pull the trigger and do it?

Never said he wasn't good. I expect him to have a nice season. I think it's pretty clear he'd be at penn st though had franklin named him the starter

msstate7
07-08-2019, 11:36 AM
When Tommy was considering a change last year, it's possible promises were made that influenced him to stay. IF that happened, and if Franklin's staff mis-handled his injury, then someone could point fingers at Franklin.

I'm not saying Franklin screwed him over though. I don't know enough to say that.

That's true. Maybe franklin did promise the job and backtracked

Jack Lambert
07-08-2019, 11:37 AM

That's not what I am saying. If he could have transferred last season but didn't Franklin told him what he needed to get him to stay and Stevens did not listen to him this time.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2019, 11:52 AM

That wasn't the issue just the last straw.

RiverCityDawg
07-08-2019, 04:09 PM

This. It seems to me more about the handling of the injury and then the injury being used as the reason why the competition would be ongoing. I can see being upset by the situation if you feel you've constantly sacrificed for the team, but then that sacrifice is used as the reason you might not be the starter.

Todd4State
07-08-2019, 05:15 PM

Penn State had 20+ players in the transfer portal for a reason. Just putting that out there.

msstate7
07-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Penn State had 20+ players in the transfer portal for a reason. Just putting that out there.

Wow, that is a huge number

DancingRabbit
07-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Yeah, that's a little concerning to me. I'd like to see PSU bounce back and compete for the B10 championship this year. Don't need them doing a coaching search any time soon.

BeardoMSU
07-08-2019, 06:34 PM

this.