PDA

View Full Version : Stranger Things 3: What do you think?

TrapGame
07-08-2019, 08:29 AM
I liked it much better than season 2. Steve Harrington is my favorite character and he continued the tradition of getting his ass kicked in every season. I thought the cliffhanger with Hopper was pretty good. El going with the Byers made sense. However, I see Steve and Nancy might rekindle some old flames since Jonathan is out of state. Which means it could put a strain on his friendship with Robin. And Robin, who thought Nancy was a priss in high school, might just get attracted to Nancy. Or she might have to admit she does have a sexual attraction to Steve and she's not the lesbian she thinks she is.

Any other thoughts or comments?

Tbonewannabe
07-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Steve is my favorite also. He finally actually won a fight this year. It will be interesting to see if it is Hopper or it ends up being someone else.

Robin is an interesting character. On one hand, I think they probably want to add a gay character or the other, was she lying just to throw Steve off? I think they probably just gave Steve a friend and the poor guy can't catch a break.

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Dang it, I knew I shouldn't click on this - I'm only half way thru.

I agree that it seems better than season 2 so far and like where it seems to be headed.

Not that it matters to most - but the dang mall was giving me flashbacks. It looked almost identical to Town Center near Kennesaw which opened in the mid-80s and was a regular hang out for us Cobb County kids. Knowing it is filmed in GA I googled the filming location and it is Gwinnett Place Mall - which is an identical design and built by the same developer as Town Center. They opened within a couple of years of each other. The set designers for that show have always been great about catching the 80s, and that mall is spot on.

TrapGame
07-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Brunswick, You should have known better.

I loved the whole 80's mall motif.

And I'm pretty sure we'll get ST4 sometime around Christmas 2020. I think some of Hawkins scenes will be shot late December this year. David Harbor said on ET the Duffers wanted him to sit down with them and go over the early draft of the season four script in September. So I wouldn't be surprised if filming starts December for primary locations and then sound stage for any Russian/secret science lab stuff in January. Then probably a spring epilogue shot in March.

TrapGame
07-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Welp, strong rumor that season 4 will be the last season. Some Netflix exec supposedly let the cat out of the bag. Nothing official.

BrunswickDawg
07-11-2019, 07:31 AM
Welp, strong rumor that season 4 will be the last season. Some Netflix exec supposedly let the cat out of the bag. Nothing official.

I'm not surprised. I actually think that is a good thing. So many of these type shows lose direction after the initial couple of seasons that it almost ruins their overall legacy. Think Lost, or Heroes. I think Netflix has changed that by committing upfront to 2-3 seasons on shows and only producing 8-10 episodes a seasons. It keeps story arcs tight and I think produces a better quality show.

I finished up season 3 Tuesday night. That was an excellent season overall.

BrunswickDawg
07-11-2019, 07:48 AM
I liked it much better than season 2. Steve Harrington is my favorite character and he continued the tradition of getting his ass kicked in every season. I thought the cliffhanger with Hopper was pretty good. El going with the Byers made sense. However, I see Steve and Nancy might rekindle some old flames since Jonathan is out of state. Which means it could put a strain on his friendship with Robin. And Robin, who thought Nancy was a priss in high school, might just get attracted to Nancy. Or she might have to admit she does have a sexual attraction to Steve and she's not the lesbian she thinks she is.

Any other thoughts or comments?

Steve is my favorite also. He finally actually won a fight this year. It will be interesting to see if it is Hopper or it ends up being someone else.

Robin is an interesting character. On one hand, I think they probably want to add a gay character or the other, was she lying just to throw Steve off? I think they probably just gave Steve a friend and the poor guy can't catch a break.

The thing I really like about Steve is how he made the turn from a complete dick to a real good guy. His relationship this season with Dustin was really fun to watch and reminded me a lot of some older neighborhood friends I had as a kid.

Tbonewannabe
07-11-2019, 09:56 AM
I think it shouldn't go more than 1 or 2 more seasons. I would guess it depends on if the Duffer brothers think they can wind the whole thing up in 1 or 2 seasons. It is good to have an end in sight but everyone should have learned from GOT that it isn't always best to push the ending if it isn't naturally there. Whether it is adding a season 5 or just making season 4 a few episodes longer, I hope they wrap it up well.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-11-2019, 10:31 AM
It is leaps and bounds better than season 1 and a tad better than season 2.

TrapGame
07-11-2019, 11:54 AM
I say a YouTube video of Ducre Montgomery (Billy Hargrove) explaining his character's arc. It was his idea to humanize Billy at the end. The whole scene on the California beach was his idea he brought to the Duffer Brothers. They had already shot most of Billy's scenes but they wrote that scene on the spot and shot it the next week.

And once you've had Russians under the mall in Hawkins what are you gonna do to top that? Go out on a high note.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-16-2019, 10:16 AM
I say a YouTube video of Ducre Montgomery (Billy Hargrove) explaining his character's arc. It was his idea to humanize Billy at the end. The whole scene on the California beach was his idea he brought to the Duffer Brothers. They had already shot most of Billy's scenes but they wrote that scene on the spot and shot it the next week.

I thought that part seemed off. I didn't like the whole "Billy's past" part.

TrapGame
07-16-2019, 03:23 PM
I thought that part seemed off. I didn't like the whole "Billy's past" part.

They tried to make him more human instead of pure monster. I thought it worked pretty well.

BeardoMSU
07-17-2019, 03:28 PM
They tried to make him more human instead of pure monster. I thought it worked pretty well.

Agreed. I liked it as well. He's a bully, but almost always bullies have a past that made them the way they are. That was it's inception for his character.

And speaking of inception, lol....that beach flashback was straight out of Inception, which is cool.

BeardoMSU
07-17-2019, 03:29 PM
It is leaps and bounds better than season 1 and a tad better than season 2.

Are we watching the same show?

BeardoMSU
07-17-2019, 03:45 PM
I really enjoyed season 3. Just finished watching it a second time, so I feel a little more able to view it objectively now. Obviously, it has flaws, but the characters are just so well conceived, and we've spent 2 seasons prior getting to know them, I just find it easy to forgive little nit-picks.

1. I found the "monster" itself this season to be the weakest so far. That's not to say I didn't like the "body snatcher" influence this season had, because it was bad ass...and pretty terrifying...mainly just the monster on screen. I didn't find it nearly as scary as season 1 and 2.

2. I really enjoyed Billy's focus this season. Everything about his personality reminds me of villains/bullies in 80's movies (e.g., The Lost Boys, The Goonies, Stand By Me, etc.). The scenes with him and Eleven were extremely well done, especially the one where she comes out of the 'zone' back to the cabin, and he's there waiting for her. That was intense.

3. Mike and El's teenage romance was a little annoying, but that was the point. It actually gave me some flashbacks of similar moments growing up.

4. Dustin and Steve's camaraderie has turning into one of my favorite aspects of the show. They bounce dialogue of each other exquisitely.

5. In that same vein, I thought the addition of Robin's character was great. Total opposite of Nancy.

6. The whole Russian complex in the middle of flyover America did feel pretty outlandish on first viewing, but that's pretty damn "80's", if we're being honest....people saw Ruskies under their beds at night. Plus, I immediately thought of Red Dawn.

7. Alexei's character was really funny. I was surprised how sad I was when he died.

8. Grigori (aka "Terminator") was also a great addition this season.

9. I felt Cary Elwes, though good in his role, was wasted as the corrupt mayor.

10. "The NeverEnding Story" was the highlight of the season for me.

11. Since I'm in an "80's" kinda mood, I'm finding it hard to think of someone hotter than Phoebe Cates.

BrunswickDawg
07-18-2019, 09:30 AM
I really enjoyed season 3. Just finished watching it a second time, so I feel a little more able to view it objectively now. Obviously, it has flaws, but the characters are just so well conceived, and we've spent 2 seasons prior getting to know them, I just find it easy to forgive little nit-picks.

1. I found the "monster" itself this season to be the weakest so far. That's not to say I didn't like the "body snatcher" influence this season had, because it was bad ass...and pretty terrifying...mainly just the monster on screen. I didn't find it nearly as scary as season 1 and 2.

2. I really enjoyed Billy's focus this season. Everything about his personality reminds me of villains/bullies in 80's movies (e.g., The Lost Boys, The Goonies, Stand By Me, etc.). The scenes with him and Eleven were extremely well done, especially the one where she comes out of the 'zone' back to the cabin, and he's there waiting for her. That was intense.

3. Mike and El's teenage romance was a little annoying, but that was the point. It actually gave me some flashbacks of similar moments growing up.

4. Dustin and Steve's camaraderie has turning into one of my favorite aspects of the show. They bounce dialogue of each other exquisitely.

5. In that same vein, I thought the addition of Robin's character was great. Total opposite of Nancy.

6. The whole Russian complex in the middle of flyover America did feel pretty outlandish on first viewing, but that's pretty damn "80's", if we're being honest....people saw Ruskies under their beds at night. Plus, I immediately thought of Red Dawn.

7. Alexei's character was really funny. I was surprised how sad I was when he died.

8. Grigori (aka "Terminator") was also a great addition this season.

9. I felt Cary Elwes, though good in his role, was wasted as the corrupt mayor.

10. "The NeverEnding Story" was the highlight of the season for me.

11. Since I'm in an "80's" kinda mood, I'm finding it hard to think of someone hotter than Phoebe Cates.

The Russian scare was very Red Dawn and very 80s. I'm roughly the same age as these kids, and it was peppered in a lot of things I don't think I realized at the time. Growing up in a Lockheed family - and in the shadow of a major Air Force Base we got all sorts of "when Russia attacks" info about nuclear strikes and what it would do to our community. If influenced things enough that I remember having specific "what if" conversations with friends at the time - "If Russia launches, you know we are in a target zone, what are you doing with your last 30 minutes of life?" Usually resulted in some 12 year old's fantasy about his dream girl he'd be making out with when the bomb flashed.

And Phoebe is top shelf - but I'm still partial to Elisabeth Shue.

Tbonewannabe
07-18-2019, 02:15 PM
The Russian scare was very Red Dawn and very 80s. I'm roughly the same age as these kids, and it was peppered in a lot of things I don't think I realized at the time. Growing up in a Lockheed family - and in the shadow of a major Air Force Base we got all sorts of "when Russia attacks" info about nuclear strikes and what it would do to our community. If influenced things enough that I remember having specific "what if" conversations with friends at the time - "If Russia launches, you know we are in a target zone, what are you doing with your last 30 minutes of life?" Usually resulted in some 12 year old's fantasy about his dream girl he'd be making out with when the bomb flashed.

And Phoebe is top shelf - but I'm still partial to Elisabeth Shue.

A Phoebe Cates / Elisabeth Shue sandwich wouldn't be a bad way to spend the last 30 minutes before the bomb dropped.

BeardoMSU
07-18-2019, 07:57 PM
A Phoebe Cates / Elisabeth Shue sandwich wouldn't be a bad way to spend the last 30 minutes before the bomb dropped.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/68efdf08c0b12dda3cc0193d09ea2a02/tenor.gif?itemid=5123398

BrunswickDawg
07-19-2019, 07:54 AM

12 year old me can't handle that thought. I'm not sure mid-40s me can either LOL

BeardoMSU
07-19-2019, 09:07 AM
the last 30 minutes

That's a bit optimistic, lol...

BrunswickDawg
07-19-2019, 09:35 AM

He's a giving man Beardo.....

To dive back in to the actual topic. I know 80s culture is hot right now - but I really have found this series overall does an excellent job in capturing what it was like to be a kid in suburban America in that time. The way kids ran in packs back then, and the freedom we had to explore our towns, and build a world almost completely divorced from whatever it was our parents were doing is just not done today. Some of it I look back on and wonder what in the hell our parents were thinking - because I know I got myself unknowingly into some dangerous situations from it. But, seeing how the pendulum has swung into today's world of over-structuring kids lives, I'll take my free range feral kid childhood over today's hands down.

The craziest thing looking back is how my parents hardly ever knew where I was. The show captures that very well. From 2nd grade on, they left for work before I got on the bus; they got home at least 2 hours after I got out of school and if I left a note about where I was I could be out until dark. And, there was no real way to communicate because I damn sure wasn't supposed to call them unless the house was burning down. I have tried not to wholesale manage my kids lives, but it's dang hard when all their friends lives have every hour planned for them. Other parents flipped out when my kids were in elementary school because we let them walk from their school to our local dance studio, which was all of 4 blocks and went past City Hall and the Police Station. They would stop and pick them up, and then call us admonishing us for not taking care of our kids. Such a different world.

Tbonewannabe
07-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Well there is 3 minutes for awesomeness then 27 minutes of making and eating a sandwich.

Tbonewannabe
07-19-2019, 10:46 AM
He's a giving man Beardo.....

To dive back in to the actual topic. I know 80s culture is hot right now - but I really have found this series overall does an excellent job in capturing what it was like to be a kid in suburban America in that time. The way kids ran in packs back then, and the freedom we had to explore our towns, and build a world almost completely divorced from whatever it was our parents were doing is just not done today. Some of it I look back on and wonder what in the hell our parents were thinking - because I know I got myself unknowingly into some dangerous situations from it. But, seeing how the pendulum has swung into today's world of over-structuring kids lives, I'll take my free range feral kid childhood over today's hands down.

The craziest thing looking back is how my parents hardly ever knew where I was. The show captures that very well. From 2nd grade on, they left for work before I got on the bus; they got home at least 2 hours after I got out of school and if I left a note about where I was I could be out until dark. And, there was no real way to communicate because I damn sure wasn't supposed to call them unless the house was burning down. I have tried not to wholesale manage my kids lives, but it's dang hard when all their friends lives have every hour planned for them. Other parents flipped out when my kids were in elementary school because we let them walk from their school to our local dance studio, which was all of 4 blocks and went past City Hall and the Police Station. They would stop and pick them up, and then call us admonishing us for not taking care of our kids. Such a different world.

We could be anywhere from a neighbor's house a couple miles away to Tishomingo State Park which was about 5 miles away from my house or just in the woods. We would just bike to the park and do whatever.

BeardoMSU
07-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Tishomingo State Park which was about 5 miles away from my house

Nice! I actually lived on JP Coleman til I was about 7; at that time, my dad was a ranger for MDWFP. We also spent a ton of time at Tish.

Tbonewannabe
07-19-2019, 04:42 PM
Nice! I actually lived on JP Coleman til I was about 7; at that time, my dad was a ranger for MDWFP. We also spent a ton of time at Tish.

If you ever went there, my great grandfather sold the rock bluffs to the park. My dad still owns the land that basically goes to the top of the bluffs.

BeardoMSU
07-21-2019, 09:41 PM
I just remembered....

Hearing Peter Gabriel's cover of "Heroes" (originally a Bowie track) again was extremely satisfying, especially in that context. If you remember, they played that song during season 1 at the end of the episode when they found Will's "body" in the mine and Joyce encountered the Demogorgon. I have always loved the power of that sequence, especially with the addition of that song, so hearing it again after El read Hop's letter was a total gut punch for me. I found it quite emotional, to say the least.

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2019, 01:44 PM
This made my day -

ScoobaDawg
09-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Its been a few weeks, and I kind of feel like i need to go rewatch the whole series once more. But I indeed did enjoy season 3 the most.

Needless to say I might never look at a rat the same again though.