PDA

View Full Version : Now that baseball season is over...preseason, pre-camp football thoughts

Todd4State
07-07-2019, 10:35 PM
Just in general- I think the team is disappointed with last year just as much as we are. This is a totally different vibe- last year a lot of people were expecting 10+ wins and thinking that we were possibly going to be special. As we know- it turns out only the defense was special and some things that we hoped would happen on offense just didn't. But- that's over and it's time to put it behind us. I think this team will use that disappointment to motivate them this year. The good news is Joe acquired some key transfers that we really need to step up- which is a nice change. How those transfers pan out will play a huge role in the kind of year that we will have.

QB- Some people may say that there is a competition between Stevens and Key but we all know that Stevens is going to be the QB. I think we are very fortunate how this turned out because Stevens knows the offense better than Kelly Bryant and so much of playing QB is understanding the offense. Stevens is simply the most important pick up of the offseason because for us to have success we must improve in the passing game. If we do it will open up the running game more. I know Joe wants a completion percentage of 65% but if Stevens can get to 58% we will be better on offense. If he gets to 65% I think we are in for a special season to be quite frank. The other thing that we need from him is 20+ TD passes and 5-10 INT's along with 500 yards rushing and 10 rushing TD's. Those are numbers similar to what Trace McSorley put up and the passing numbers are markedly better than Fitzgerald's although the rushing yards total is about half. It would be a season similar to Dak's senior year as well statistically speaking. The other thing that I'm hopeful for is that Stevens will make better decision in the passing, option, and RPO games. I think that's where Fitzgerald really bogged down the offense. Even as much as the offense struggled we were still in the top half of the league in 3rd down conversion percentage and red zone scoring percentage. But we were also 6th in the league in both and 14th in the league in 4th down conversion percentage. Not bad on the surface for the first two- but also room to improve if we can move into the top 3-5 in all of those categories we will be much better. Interestingly enough we were first in the SEC in red zone TD conversion percentage. That tells me that there is good potential here for this offense with the right pieces in place. Another issue last year was the lack of explosive plays in the passing game as we were in the bottom half of the SEC in explosive pass plays but in the top half of the SEC in explosive running plays. When you add both the explosive pass and run plays together we were again near the bottom of the SEC. Get the explosive pass plays up some and we will be cooking with gas.

RB- Kylin Hill is an explosive player himself. I think he is going to have a special year similar to JJ Johnson his junior or senior year. We need him to stay healthy and rush for 1000 yards. If the passing game improves it will only help him and make him that much more dangerous. If he improves his blocking to go along with his pass catching skills he will be a complete back. Nick Gibson is solid but I don't think he will get the reps that Aeris got. Kareem Walker and Lee Witherspoon are wild cards. If one of them step up it will make our offense that much better because no one expects that from us at this point.

WR- Isiah Zuber is the second biggest pick up behind Stevens. He needs to be the reliable WR that we can go to in critical situations. If he can be that I think it will help Stephen Guidry and Osirus Mitchell out a lot. It may both take some pressure off of Guidry as well as motivate him to be a better player. Osirus in the spring game still looks extremely raw as well which is concerning. The good news is Zuber has the skill set to play X, Z, and slot so we can potentially move him around to create match ups which was something we really couldn't do last year. Hopefully Stevens will have better rapport with Guidry and Mitchell than Fitzgerald or Key did. It would be nice if Whop and Austin Williams turn the corner because both are going to be more productive than Osirus and Guidry by the time their careers end. I'm very hopeful that Whop has a career arc similar to Fred Ross. Which would mean becoming an impact player by midseason. Osirus just doesn't flash enough on the field to make me believe that he can turn the corner. If he doesn't prove me wrong I hope that Whop improves enough to overtake him.

TE- We're pretty deep here. Farrod Green is a good player who is a glue guy and good leader. Dontae Jones is IMO an even better player that is more athletic and can make big time plays that Farrod hasn't really shown that he can do at this point. Spivey is similar to Jones in that regard as well and could be a surprise. Cumbest is also a solid player as well. With our depth here and the question marks at WR using two TE sets about a third of the time probably would be a pretty decent idea.

OL- One thing about the past two years is because of Hevesy's poor recruiting we've had to play some people out of position. Marcus Johnson has done a great job of correcting that- and I think it will pay dividends this year. Our offensive tackle play was pretty poor at times- and Eiland really struggled badly against the better pass rushers in the SEC. I think Joe was hesitant to move people back to where they fit because we returned so many guys but the attrition from graduation has helped solve that. Daryl Williams is an All-SEC candidate at C. Stewart Reese moving to guard is going to help him out a lot. Dauren Parker and Michael Story are both guards with some experience. Tyre Phillips I thought was our best OT last year and really improved after the Kentucky game. Tommy Champion also improved as the year went along and I think Eiland fits much better at right tackle than left. The fact that there is a competition here is a good thing. If Phillips can protect the passer better than Eiland did it will help immensely.

DL- There is a lot of concern here but I honestly think it won't be as bad as people think. We return Chauncey Rivers, Kobe Jones, Marquiss Spencer, and Fletcher Adams who have all been productive players at DE. Obviously you don't replace a Jeffrey Simmons but if Lee Autry can be the solid space eater he was last year and if one of our young four star DT's like Fabien Lovett and Nathan Pickering play at a respectable level at the other DT spot we should be fine. Probably not number one in the country- but I think top 20 is possible. I think Shoop is going to play call this defense a little bit differently than last year because of what we have. We may see Spencer at DT some in packages similar to how we used Rivers some last year.

LB- The other thing I think we may see more of as far as playcalling is perhaps seeing the LB's blitz and rush the passer more than we did last year since this group is one of the strengths of the defense. This could be one of the best linebacking groups in MSU history. Leo Lewis is a fifth year senior and he has been a solid player for us. I think he will finish his career strong. Erroll Thompson had similar analytical ratings to Devin White of LSU last year who was a first round pick. I could see Thompson really breaking out nationally this year. He reminds me of Barrin Simpson but with NFL measurables. Willie Gay could also declare early as well and is a playmaker. He has a good knack for creating turnovers and is kind of a poor man's Tyran Mathieu type of player.

CB- We're really strong here. Cam Dantzler is yet another candidate to leave for the NFL early and is a legit shutdown corner. Maurice Smitherman is a little undersized but he makes plays and rates very high analytically as well matching what the eye sees. This group along with the linebackers are why I don't think we will have fall off the planet on defense.

S- I think Brian Cole is going to surprise a lot of experts this year. He was outstanding when he was healthy. Jaquarious Landrews surprised me last year and I think he will be a good player for us next year as well. CJ Morgan Walker was also really solid as well and then we'll see Fred Peters in the mix. So, lots of competition here but some good options.

Flex/Hybrid- I'm curious to see where Jerrian Jones fits into the defense? I think he plays as a freshman but where exactly I'm not sure. My guess would be CB. Marcus Murphy is also a really athletic and talented player but I'm not sure what to expect as sadly his son has had to deal with major health issues and I could see where that would be a major distraction.

K- Jace Christmann will be the kicker and has been solid for two years. He made 75% of his field goals last year and I can live with that. He also has adequate range. We appear to be good here.

P- Corliss Waitman was another huge transfer pick up that us under the radar. He was one of the best punters in country and if we can improve here and win field position more it will help the entire team out in a major way. We need to be really solid in special teams given our disadvantages as a program compared to the SEC blue bloods. Waitman averaged three more yards per punt than our team did. He also had 26 punts inside the 20 as a junior and 19 last year. Tucker Day only had 13 inside the 20.

KO- Scott Goodman was solid last year for us as a true freshman and will likely improve.

KR/PR- There are a lot of options here. Zuber, Malik Dear, Deddrick Thomas, Brian Cole, Kylin Hill. Among others. I kind of wonder if Lee Witherspoon could surprise us this year in the return game? This appears to be completely wide open and I'm not sure what direction we will go in here.

While this team has more unknowns last year and the defense will likely take a step back- I think this team may be better all around than last year's team. The million dollar question is will that show on the field in terms of wins and losses? We begin the year in the Superdome- hopefully we will end it in the Superdome as well.

MoreCowbell
07-08-2019, 01:29 AM
To add to your points about the defense- we lose a lot along the DL but it cannot be understated how the guys who are filling roles this year from departures were still part of, and practiced with and against 1st rounders. They were part of the #1 defense in the country so there is a lot that was learned from that and they now understand from watching the starters last year about what it takes to be a dominant defense. Hope I worded that right.

cujo
07-08-2019, 06:57 AM
To add to your points about the defense- we lose a lot along the DL but it cannot be understated how the guys who are filling roles this year from departures were still part of, and practiced with and against 1st rounders. They were part of the #1 defense in the country so there is a lot that was learned from that and they now understand from watching the starters last year about what it takes to be a dominant defense. Hope I worded that right.

This year 8 wins will be cause for optimism

MetEdDawg
07-08-2019, 07:06 AM
I think the scary thing about this season is the number of unknowns. You literally can't predict this season. Some crazy folks have said 5. Some think 9. Can't remember the last time we had this much uncertainty.

New QB that was in Moorhead's system. New WR that could come in and make a difference. Added depth at DT and have some freshmen like Pickering and Russell who might could factor in. How much does the offense improve? How good can the defense be?

We've got a lot of questions this year. I think in terms of regular season wins we've got a ceiling of 9 wins and a floor of 7. Does this team as a whole make the leap forward and does Moorhead push the right buttons to make it happen.

I personally think we match last year and get 8 regular season wins. Lot of folks on this team have something to prove including Moorhead. I think this team gets to 9 total wins and changes the mind of a lot of folks.

Ari Gold
07-08-2019, 08:00 AM
This year 8 wins will be cause for optimism

This years team with TS ( if he as good as I think he is going to be running the show) behind center will be better than last years team.. and I mean team as in overall...
Yes the defense won’t be as good because we lost 3 key guys , but we will have more guys get drafted on that side of the ball in the 2020 draft than we did in this years draft...

Covercorner2
07-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Just in general- I think the team is disappointed with last year just as much as we are. This is a totally different vibe- last year a lot of people were expecting 10+ wins and thinking that we were possibly going to be special. As we know- it turns out only the defense was special and some things that we hoped would happen on offense just didn't. But- that's over and it's time to put it behind us. I think this team will use that disappointment to motivate them this year. The good news is Joe acquired some key transfers that we really need to step up- which is a nice change. How those transfers pan out will play a huge role in the kind of year that we will have.

QB- Some people may say that there is a competition between Stevens and Key but we all know that Stevens is going to be the QB. I think we are very fortunate how this turned out because Stevens knows the offense better than Kelly Bryant and so much of playing QB is understanding the offense. Stevens is simply the most important pick up of the offseason because for us to have success we must improve in the passing game. If we do it will open up the running game more. I know Joe wants a completion percentage of 65% but if Stevens can get to 58% we will be better on offense. If he gets to 65% I think we are in for a special season to be quite frank. The other thing that we need from him is 20+ TD passes and 5-10 INT's along with 500 yards rushing and 10 rushing TD's. Those are numbers similar to what Trace McSorley put up and the passing numbers are markedly better than Fitzgerald's although the rushing yards total is about half. It would be a season similar to Dak's senior year as well statistically speaking. The other thing that I'm hopeful for is that Stevens will make better decision in the passing, option, and RPO games. I think that's where Fitzgerald really bogged down the offense. Even as much as the offense struggled we were still in the top half of the league in 3rd down conversion percentage and red zone scoring percentage. But we were also 6th in the league in both and 14th in the league in 4th down conversion percentage. Not bad on the surface for the first two- but also room to improve if we can move into the top 3-5 in all of those categories we will be much better. Interestingly enough we were first in the SEC in red zone TD conversion percentage. That tells me that there is good potential here for this offense with the right pieces in place. Another issue last year was the lack of explosive plays in the passing game as we were in the bottom half of the SEC in explosive pass plays but in the top half of the SEC in explosive running plays. When you add both the explosive pass and run plays together we were again near the bottom of the SEC. Get the explosive pass plays up some and we will be cooking with gas.

RB- Kylin Hill is an explosive player himself. I think he is going to have a special year similar to JJ Johnson his junior or senior year. We need him to stay healthy and rush for 1000 yards. If the passing game improves it will only help him and make him that much more dangerous. If he improves his blocking to go along with his pass catching skills he will be a complete back. Nick Gibson is solid but I don't think he will get the reps that Aeris got. Kareem Walker and Lee Witherspoon are wild cards. If one of them step up it will make our offense that much better because no one expects that from us at this point.

WR- Isiah Zuber is the second biggest pick up behind Stevens. He needs to be the reliable WR that we can go to in critical situations. If he can be that I think it will help Stephen Guidry and Osirus Mitchell out a lot. It may both take some pressure off of Guidry as well as motivate him to be a better player. Osirus in the spring game still looks extremely raw as well which is concerning. The good news is Zuber has the skill set to play X, Z, and slot so we can potentially move him around to create match ups which was something we really couldn't do last year. Hopefully Stevens will have better rapport with Guidry and Mitchell than Fitzgerald or Key did. It would be nice if Whop and Austin Williams turn the corner because both are going to be more productive than Osirus and Guidry by the time their careers end. I'm very hopeful that Whop has a career arc similar to Fred Ross. Which would mean becoming an impact player by midseason. Osirus just doesn't flash enough on the field to make me believe that he can turn the corner. If he doesn't prove me wrong I hope that Whop improves enough to overtake him.

TE- We're pretty deep here. Farrod Green is a good player who is a glue guy and good leader. Dontae Jones is IMO an even better player that is more athletic and can make big time plays that Farrod hasn't really shown that he can do at this point. Spivey is similar to Jones in that regard as well and could be a surprise. Cumbest is also a solid player as well. With our depth here and the question marks at WR using two TE sets about a third of the time probably would be a pretty decent idea.

OL- One thing about the past two years is because of Hevesy's poor recruiting we've had to play some people out of position. Marcus Johnson has done a great job of correcting that- and I think it will pay dividends this year. Our offensive tackle play was pretty poor at times- and Eiland really struggled badly against the better pass rushers in the SEC. I think Joe was hesitant to move people back to where they fit because we returned so many guys but the attrition from graduation has helped solve that. Daryl Williams is an All-SEC candidate at C. Stewart Reese moving to guard is going to help him out a lot. Dauren Parker and Michael Story are both guards with some experience. Tyre Phillips I thought was our best OT last year and really improved after the Kentucky game. Tommy Champion also improved as the year went along and I think Eiland fits much better at right tackle than left. The fact that there is a competition here is a good thing. If Phillips can protect the passer better than Eiland did it will help immensely.

DL- There is a lot of concern here but I honestly think it won't be as bad as people think. We return Chauncey Rivers, Kobe Jones, Marquiss Spencer, and Fletcher Adams who have all been productive players at DE. Obviously you don't replace a Jeffrey Simmons but if Lee Autry can be the solid space eater he was last year and if one of our young four star DT's like Fabien Lovett and Nathan Pickering play at a respectable level at the other DT spot we should be fine. Probably not number one in the country- but I think top 20 is possible. I think Shoop is going to play call this defense a little bit differently than last year because of what we have. We may see Spencer at DT some in packages similar to how we used Rivers some last year.

LB- The other thing I think we may see more of as far as playcalling is perhaps seeing the LB's blitz and rush the passer more than we did last year since this group is one of the strengths of the defense. This could be one of the best linebacking groups in MSU history. Leo Lewis is a fifth year senior and he has been a solid player for us. I think he will finish his career strong. Erroll Thompson had similar analytical ratings to Devin White of LSU last year who was a first round pick. I could see Thompson really breaking out nationally this year. He reminds me of Barrin Simpson but with NFL measurables. Willie Gay could also declare early as well and is a playmaker. He has a good knack for creating turnovers and is kind of a poor man's Tyran Mathieu type of player.

CB- We're really strong here. Cam Dantzler is yet another candidate to leave for the NFL early and is a legit shutdown corner. Maurice Smitherman is a little undersized but he makes plays and rates very high analytically as well matching what the eye sees. This group along with the linebackers are why I don't think we will have fall off the planet on defense.

S- I think Brian Cole is going to surprise a lot of experts this year. He was outstanding when he was healthy. Jaquarious Landrews surprised me last year and I think he will be a good player for us next year as well. CJ Morgan Walker was also really solid as well and then we'll see Fred Peters in the mix. So, lots of competition here but some good options.

Flex/Hybrid- I'm curious to see where Jerrian Jones fits into the defense? I think he plays as a freshman but where exactly I'm not sure. My guess would be CB. Marcus Murphy is also a really athletic and talented player but I'm not sure what to expect as sadly his son has had to deal with major health issues and I could see where that would be a major distraction.

K- Jace Christmann will be the kicker and has been solid for two years. He made 75% of his field goals last year and I can live with that. He also has adequate range. We appear to be good here.

P- Corliss Waitman was another huge transfer pick up that us under the radar. He was one of the best punters in country and if we can improve here and win field position more it will help the entire team out in a major way. We need to be really solid in special teams given our disadvantages as a program compared to the SEC blue bloods. Waitman averaged three more yards per punt than our team did. He also had 26 punts inside the 20 as a junior and 19 last year. Tucker Day only had 13 inside the 20.

KO- Scott Goodman was solid last year for us as a true freshman and will likely improve.

KR/PR- There are a lot of options here. Zuber, Malik Dear, Deddrick Thomas, Brian Cole, Kylin Hill. Among others. I kind of wonder if Lee Witherspoon could surprise us this year in the return game? This appears to be completely wide open and I'm not sure what direction we will go in here.

While this team has more unknowns last year and the defense will likely take a step back- I think this team may be better all around than last year's team. The million dollar question is will that show on the field in terms of wins and losses? We begin the year in the Superdome- hopefully we will end it in the Superdome as well.

I don't know if its fair to expect Stevens to duplicate Dak's 2015 year, but with our defense, OL, and RBs, he probably won't have to...

StarkVegasSteve
07-08-2019, 08:32 AM
If Stevens replicates what Dak did in 15 we're in for a special season. Remember, we were an Egg Bowl debacle away from the Sugar Bowl that season.

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2019, 08:39 AM
This years team with TS ( if he as good as I think he is going to be running the show) behind center will be better than last years team.. and I mean team as in overall...
Yes the defense won’t be as good because we lost 3 key guys , but we will have more guys get drafted on that side of the ball in the 2020 draft than we did in this years draft...

I think it will be easy for the combination of Kylin, Gibson, and Stevens to replicate our rushing production last year - it will just be RB focuses instead of QB focused. So, to improve on offense, all Stevens needs to be able to do is throw the ball better than we have the past 2 years. Joe's offenses at PSU averaged 3,600 passing yards; his Fordham offenses averaged 3,990 passing yards - if we just get to roughly the SEC median (about 3000 yards total) we will be leaps and bounds better. That's not that big of a stretch.

I'm just not that concerned about the defense. We won't be #1 but we won't drop off the map either. I just wish we had had Shoop for the last decade at DC - Mullen's meddling on defense/lack of DC consistency wasted a ton of talent over the past few years.

Ari Gold
07-08-2019, 09:07 AM
I think it will be easy for the combination of Kylin, Gibson, and Stevens to replicate our rushing production last year - it will just be RB focuses instead of QB focused. So, to improve on offense, all Stevens needs to be able to do is throw the ball better than we have the past 2 years. Joe's offenses at PSU averaged 3,600 passing yards; his Fordham offenses averaged 3,990 passing yards - if we just get to roughly the SEC median (about 3000 yards total) we will be leaps and bounds better. That's not that big of a stretch.

I'm just not that concerned about the defense. We won't be #1 but we won't drop off the map either. I just wish we had had Shoop for the last decade at DC - Mullen's meddling on defense/lack of DC consistency wasted a ton of talent over the past few years.

Agree...
if TS has that IT factor even if it’s just for one year.. it’s going to be a fun year

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Agree...
if TS has that IT factor even if it’s just for one year.. it’s going to be a fun year

If he has an IT factor, then we have a chance for a huge run. I'm not going to let myself get THAT invested.... yet.

Jack Lambert
07-08-2019, 10:25 AM

I think there is a lot of talent on the defense. State has recruited very well on defense. Losing three first rounders hurts but I suspect we have one to three more first rounders on the roster. Probably be over four year period but they are there. Our back ups got a lot of playing time and the younger guys will have to step up but there is talent. I think there is a reason our DC stayed around another year. He could have jumped ship if he wanted.

What worries me more then anything else is the lost of our DL coach.

1bigdawg
07-08-2019, 10:44 AM
If Stevens replicates what Dak did in 15 we're in for a special season. Remember, we were an Mullen mailing it in during his annual job search away from the Sugar Bowl that season.

FIFY

StarkVegasSteve
07-08-2019, 11:12 AM
FIFY

Ahh yes. I think that was the year he was trying to get the Miami job if I'm not mistaken.

thf24
07-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Ahh yes. I think that was the year he was trying to get the Miami job if I'm not mistaken.

It's a little ironic that his DC that year ultimately ended up with that job that he couldn't get.

BuckyIsAB****
07-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Dont be concerned about the DL coach. Deke Adams is from MS (Meridian) he relates really well to the kids. Good recruiter as well.

Deddrick Thomas has a chance to push himself into draft converstaions if Stevens can get it to him. He is probably our best WR. Why? Bc he can beat man coverage. Consistently. And he catches the football. Consistently. I am hoping Zuber is the real deal, worst case he gives us a good KR/PR but he put up some pretty good #s in an offense that couldnt throw the football at all. It is time for Whop to be a dawg. Guidry looks like a million bucks. Time for him to play like it as well. Mitchell has the chance to be a possession guy if he can stop the drops. Idk if he can get open consistently. Austin Williams can catch but has struggled like hell to get open. Moorhead loved getting his TE/H back involved at PSU, he has some dawgs at that position.

The defense will be one of the best units in the SEC again. Top 20 nationally. DE, LB, and the entire secondary is full of NFL talent. DT is a concern and it may take a little while to get it going but the talent is there. Reps are not. I expect Crumedy and Autry to be the starters with the Lville transfer and Pickering to be the 2s. Pickering will need a good camp and some weight loss probably to be ready but he is strong and athletic enough to play day 1

Jarius
07-09-2019, 04:37 AM
Dont be concerned about the DL coach. Deke Adams is from MS (Meridian) he relates really well to the kids. Good recruiter as well.

Deddrick Thomas has a chance to push himself into draft converstaions if Stevens can get it to him. He is probably our best WR. Why? Bc he can beat man coverage. Consistently. And he catches the football. Consistently. I am hoping Zuber is the real deal, worst case he gives us a good KR/PR but he put up some pretty good #s in an offense that couldnt throw the football at all. It is time for Whop to be a dawg. Guidry looks like a million bucks. Time for him to play like it as well. Mitchell has the chance to be a possession guy if he can stop the drops. Idk if he can get open consistently. Austin Williams can catch but has struggled like hell to get open. Moorhead loved getting his TE/H back involved at PSU, he has some dawgs at that position.

The defense will be one of the best units in the SEC again. Top 20 nationally. DE, LB, and the entire secondary is full of NFL talent. DT is a concern and it may take a little while to get it going but the talent is there. Reps are not. I expect Crumedy and Autry to be the starters with the Lville transfer and Pickering to be the 2s. Pickering will need a good camp and some weight loss probably to be ready but he is strong and athletic enough to play day 1

Lovett will be starting at DT and you didn't put him in the 2 deep. Pickering also needs to gain weight, not lose it, but I agree with everything else.

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Lovett will be starting at DT and you didn't put him in the 2 deep. Pickering also needs to gain weight, not lose it, but I agree with everything else.

I would be surprised if Lovett starts but I've been wrong before. Pickering looked pretty heavy in HS granted I havent seen him since then. Maybe its just bc he was so much bigger than most everyone in 2A ball

Ari Gold
07-09-2019, 10:51 AM
I would be surprised if Lovett starts but I've been wrong before. Pickering looked pretty heavy in HS granted I havent seen him since then. Maybe its just bc he was so much bigger than most everyone in 2A ball

Pickering could be and prob will be special before he leaves. What we can’t do is try and compare any of these young guys to Simmons when he was a frosh.. Simmons was a freak.
If Love gets cleared which he should I think he will have best chance at the other DT starting role
I expect Lovett to play a huge role this year as will many of the young guys
We will just have to see which ones separates themselves from the others ...

Homedawg
07-09-2019, 10:53 AM

If doesn't start, who are thinking is going to?? Autry and who???

Ari Gold
07-09-2019, 11:03 AM
And when it comes to the DL, our DE depth is very good , very talented and experienced that will take a lot of pressure off the DTs
And think of our DTs last year when Simmons was getting a blow, its not like Hoyette and Thomas were All sec guys and even got drafted for that matter.
We have guys this year Playing that will have less experience but overall a bigger upside and more talented. Just hard to replace experience and you can’t replace Jeffery

Simmons was that big of a difference maker up front.

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2019, 11:17 AM
If doesn't start, who are thinking is going to?? Autry and who???

Jaden Crumedy was what I said

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2019, 11:18 AM
Pickering could be and prob will be special before he leaves. What we can’t do is try and compare any of these young guys to Simmons when he was a frosh.. Simmons was a freak.
If Love gets cleared which he should I think he will have best chance at the other DT starting role
I expect Lovett to play a huge role this year as will many of the young guys
We will just have to see which ones separates themselves from the others ...

Maybe Lovett can do it. I just questioned if he was ready mentally

Homedawg
07-09-2019, 02:14 PM

I missed that part. Well he's gonna play he has too. All we have is Crumedy, Lovett, Autry and Pickering. Not much choice after that......Unless Love gets eligible. We shall see.

Jarius
07-09-2019, 03:44 PM

I am almost positive Lovett is going to start. If he doesn’t start he will certainly be a rotational guy in the 2 deep.

Jarius
07-09-2019, 03:46 PM

Lovett was starting during the spring. Crumedy was not.

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2019, 06:08 PM
Lovett was starting during the spring. Crumedy was not.

This is news to me. I didnt even watch the spring game, just went to a practice during the clinic. Lovett has the talent no doubt. Like I said, we have some talent at DT its just inexperienced.

Lovett and Crumedy are two good ones to build around though going into the future

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2019, 06:10 PM
And does anyone have any knowledge of what number Stevens will be? Deddrick Thomas is 2 so I doubt he gets that one

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2019, 06:11 PM
I missed that part. Well he's gonna play he has too. All we have is Crumedy, Lovett, Autry and Pickering. Not much choice after that......Unless Love gets eligible. We shall see.

Devon Robinson, Kendell Jones and Cam Young also.

Ari Gold
07-09-2019, 06:21 PM
Devon Robinson, Kendell Jones and Cam Young also.

I like Robinson and we moved Jackson back to DL . I know a couple of coaches were high on him when we signed him .. glad he is back on that side of the ball

Ari Gold
07-09-2019, 09:39 PM
If I closed this thread my bad....

Jarius
07-10-2019, 12:52 AM
I like Robinson and we moved Jackson back to DL . I know a couple of coaches were high on him when we singled him .. glad he is back on that side of the ball

Paul put out his projected 2 deep today and had James Jackson listed as 2nd team DT behind Lovett. I agree with you about moving Jackson back to defense. I remember him looking really good in the MS/AL all star game at DT.