View Full Version : ESPN releases pre-season FPI ranking - Dawgs at 16

DancingRabbit
07-06-2019, 04:30 PM
Tennessee seems a little high

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=344&year=2019

msstate7
07-06-2019, 04:35 PM
#16 in this metric, and 5th in our division... life in the sec west.

msstate7
07-06-2019, 04:36 PM
If you put a lot of stock in this, they have OM at #41 and Memphis at #53. Om is getting 6.5 points week 1... I'm tempted to take the rebs

MetEdDawg
07-06-2019, 04:41 PM
If you put a lot of stock in this, they have OM at #41 and Memphis at #53. Om is getting 6.5 points week 1... I'm tempted to take the rebs

Corral is good enough to get that team 7 wins and bad enough to get them 4. His good is pretty good but man his bad is awful.

I wouldn't touch OM on any games this year because of how bipolar his play could be this year.

But I do agree getting 6.5 in Memphis would be a very tempting bet.

msstate7
07-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Corral is good enough to get that team 7 wins and bad enough to get them 4. His good is pretty good but man his bad is awful.

I wouldn't touch OM on any games this year because of how bipolar his play could be this year.

I think the rebs can run wild on Memphis with Phillips and ealy

BrunswickDawg
07-06-2019, 04:53 PM
I think the rebs can run wild on Memphis with Phillips and ealy

But Memphis is just as likely to run wild on OM's dumpster fire defense. I really won't be surprised at all if this is a 54-53 type game.

msstate7
07-06-2019, 04:56 PM
FPI odds...
Strong favorite weeks 1-4
At auburn 33.1%
At tenn 44.6%
LSU 34.7%
At aTm 34.3%
At ark 78.0%
Bama 22.1%
Om 74.9%

msstate7
07-06-2019, 04:57 PM
But Memphis is just as likely to run wild on OM's dumpster fire defense. I really won't be surprised at all if this is a 54-53 type game.

That would make me a winner, right?

Jack Lambert
07-06-2019, 05:10 PM
They got us with about the same chance of beating LSU at home as we do of beating A&M on the road.

Covercorner2
07-06-2019, 07:36 PM
I?m a believer in the FPI being a good gauge on a team as a whole but not necessarily in individual games. I don?t think it factors in matchups, intangibles, etc.

R2Dawg
07-06-2019, 08:04 PM
10 of top 20 in SEC that is strong.

DownwardDawg
07-07-2019, 12:00 AM

Memphis is gonna score 50 on ole miss.

starkvegasdawg
07-07-2019, 08:18 AM
Memphis is gonna score 50 on ole miss.

Then they'll play the second half.

Lord McBuckethead
07-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Then they'll play the second half.

Boom. Shots 17n fired. Love it.

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2019, 07:28 PM

What has Corral done to show you that his good is pretty good? All I've seen him do is strut around like a 14 year old who's mad at his dad

DancingRabbit
07-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Speaking of shitbirds

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Speaking of shitbirds

Im 99 percent sure thats fake but hilarious if true

Johnson85
07-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Tennessee seems a little high

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=344&year=2019

Does FPI put a lot of emphasis on recruiting rankings? I'm just curious as to what they are looking at to make them think UT, which finished up last season with ass kickings from Mizzou and Vandy to 5-7, is going to be top 15? They beat a struggling Auburn team and then also beat UK. That's two bright spots, but doesn't seem that bright.

DancingRabbit
07-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Does FPI put a lot of emphasis on recruiting rankings? I'm just curious as to what they are looking at to make them think UT, which finished up last season with ass kickings from Mizzou and Vandy to 5-7, is going to be top 15? They beat a struggling Auburn team and then also beat UK. That's two bright spots, but doesn't seem that bright.

That's one of the components, especially pre-season. I don't think the exact formula is made public.

Overall it seems to be reasonably accurate, but they have their big misses. Last year, LSU wasn't even in the top 25 in the pre-season ranking. They had AU pretty high, which didn't pan out. I believe Michigan was overrated last pre-season also.

Each team?s FPI rating is composed of a predicted offensive, defensive and special teams component. These ratings represent the number of points each unit is expected to contribute to the team's net scoring margin on a neutral field against an average FBS opponent.

In the preseason, these components are made up entirely of data from previous seasons, such as returning starters, past performance, recruiting rankings and coaching tenure (more on the preseason component below). That information allows FPI to make predictions (and make determinations on the strength of a team?s opponents) beginning in Week 1, and then it declines in weight as the season progresses. It is important to note that prior seasons? information never completely disappears, because it has been proved to help with prediction accuracy even at the end of a season. Vegas similarly includes priors when setting its lines.

https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/122612/an-inside-look-at-college-fpi

msstate7
07-08-2019, 10:04 AM

If it were mainly recruiting ranking based, you think we'd be 16th?

ETA... that came across as being a smart butt. Sorry, didn't mean it like that

Pollodawg
07-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Speaking of Shay Shay, the only memory I have of him is the beating he caught in the ‘16 Egg Bowl. Underwhelming is his middle name, and I doubt there are many OM fans who’d disagree.

msstate7
07-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Speaking of Shay Shay, the only memory I have of him is the beating he caught in the ‘16 Egg Bowl. Underwhelming is his middle name, and I doubt there are many OM fans who’d disagree.

He was actually pretty good last year...

ESPN QBr = 81.5 (8th nationally/tied with Trevor Lawrence)

Passer rating = 149.85 (22nd nationally)

sleepy dawg
07-08-2019, 10:57 AM

It is as good of a preseason system as you'll find, but no system can be perfect since there is so much luck in sports and unknowns. Last year it predicted us with 8.4 wins. We ended with 8, but were really close to 9.

Johnson85
07-08-2019, 12:30 PM
If it were mainly recruiting ranking based, you think we'd be 16th?

ETA... that came across as being a smart butt. Sorry, didn't mean it like that

No, but we'd be mid 20's by recruiting I guess and I could see us having some defensive stats last year (and offensive stats based on destroying middling teams) that push us higher.

I was just curious what UT would have that would prop them up. Didn't know if they blew it out of the water on some advanced stats that didn't translate into wins for them, or if they were relying on recruiting numbers or what.

msstate7
07-08-2019, 12:40 PM
No, but we'd be mid 20's by recruiting I guess and I could see us having some defensive stats last year (and offensive stats based on destroying middling teams) that push us higher.

I was just curious what UT would have that would prop them up. Didn't know if they blew it out of the water on some advanced stats that didn't translate into wins for them, or if they were relying on recruiting numbers or what.

Guarantano rated pretty well on their QBR metric as a sophomore, so expecting progression from him could play into this projection