PDA

View Full Version : Question about hotels for ballgame weekends

R2Dawg
07-06-2019, 03:28 PM
I usually don't book due to cost (inflated cost and 2 night minimum); however, I just booked online using my reward points and it let me book one for only one night? Are some hotels backing off the 2 night min? Anyone else have this happen? I noticed the prices per night were inflated (nearly $500 a night) but no 2 night minimums. I booked a room with standard reward points too, not inflated?

Just curious if anyone else has seen this.

timotheus
07-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Be aware that if the game ends up being SEC game day, or if both teams are highly ranked that you mite get completely bumped from your reservation. But there may be some other reason for the one night minimum that I'm not aware of.

AROB44
07-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Usually the hotels blackout football weekends to prevent just that from happening. Don't know where you booked your room/rooms but I would be a little concerned if I was you. You may find you don't really have a room.

R2Dawg
07-06-2019, 07:53 PM
I booked on Hilton website and got a confirmation number. I have heard of people getting bumped; guess I'll see what happens. They should have known the schedule for months just like we all have; going to be a little upset if Hilton sticks one in me. I was a little concerned when I booked. Oh well, I have reservation and conf#, all I can do is see what unfolds. Thanks for the replies.

Belegal
07-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Not sure how it works under Moorhead but Mullen had team stay Friday night before home game at Hilton Garden Inn.due to this no 2 night minimum. I contracted with hotel for all home games for Saturday night & worked great! Only setback is early Saturday games your still paying for Saturday night regardless.

R2Dawg
07-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Not sure how it works under Moorhead but Mullen had team stay Friday night before home game at Hilton Garden Inn.due to this no 2 night minimum. I contracted with hotel for all home games for Saturday night & worked great! Only setback is early Saturday games your still paying for Saturday night regardless.

Hilton Garden Inn is where I booked. Good to hear that, maybe my reservation will stick. Thanks for feedback.

Did not know the team stayed there. I thought they stayed in Columbus.

RocketDawg
07-07-2019, 10:26 PM
There are 4 or 5 relatively new hotels in Columbus. Some have a 2-night minimum, but the Hyatt Place would take a one-night stay (don't know if that's still the case). I suspect that the others will relax the 2-night minimum if they find they can't rent all the rooms. They're expensive for the big games, but not nearly as much as the ones in Starkville, and only 25 minutes or so from campus.

Why does the football team need to stay in a local hotel? Presumably it's for discipline control, but if they still had athletic dorms it wouldn't be a requirement.

craigmid
07-08-2019, 07:12 PM
There are 4 or 5 relatively new hotels in Columbus. Some have a 2-night minimum, but the Hyatt Place would take a one-night stay (don't know if that's still the case). I suspect that the others will relax the 2-night minimum if they find they can't rent all the rooms. They're expensive for the big games, but not nearly as much as the ones in Starkville, and only 25 minutes or so from campus.

Why does the football team need to stay in a local hotel? Presumably it's for discipline control, but if they still had athletic dorms it wouldn't be a requirement.

I always stay in Columbus, usually at Hyatt Place or Hampton.
WAY cheaper and only 20 minutes away.