PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Hearn signs with the Cubs

MetEdDawg
07-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Signed for 950K, which is just over 700K dollars over his slot value.

Sounds like the Cubs really wanted him to go that much over value

msstate7
07-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Good deal for him

Todd4State
07-04-2019, 09:08 AM
I thought this was done a while back?

Todd4State
07-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Good deal for him

Hope he has good plans after baseball.

MetEdDawg
07-04-2019, 09:09 AM
I thought this was done a while back?

I think it was but not sure the specifics were released.

I had not heard how much money he had gotten until I saw it come across Twitter an hour or so ago.

msstate7
07-04-2019, 09:11 AM

I hope 90% of all drafted do

Todd4State
07-04-2019, 09:13 AM
I hope 90% of all drafted do

And the other 10% you hope fail?

msstate7
07-04-2019, 09:16 AM

What are you talking about? I'm being very generous and saying that 10% actually make it

Tbonewannabe
07-04-2019, 09:16 AM

I am guessing he is saying that only 10% will make it.

msstate7
07-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Just curious, how many of our drafted players (not signees) the last 10 years got 950k or better?

ShotgunDawg
07-04-2019, 09:37 AM
Signed for 950K, which is just over 700K dollars over his slot value.

Sounds like the Cubs really wanted him to go that much over value

Once he went in the 6th round, he had already agreed with the Cubs. Except 1st rounders, where picks are protected, ALL PLAYERS DRAFTED IN THE TOP 10 ROUNDS SIGN. YOU DON'T GO IN THE TOP 10 ROUNDS UNLESS YOU'VE ALREADY AGREED WITH THE CLUB DRAFTING YOU.

The Cubs couldn't sign their 3rd round pick, Michael McAvene from Louisville until after the CWS. They signed McAvene for 65K under slot, which contributed to Hearn's bonus.

You can't sign a player for over slot until you've signed the players for under slot that allow you to go over slot with another player. Louisville being in the CWS delayed that process.

ShotgunDawg
07-04-2019, 09:38 AM

He'll have 950K in the bank & 100% free schooling. Both of which don't happen if he goes to school

Tbonewannabe
07-04-2019, 10:04 AM
He'll have 950K in the bank & 100% free schooling. Both of which don't happen if he goes to school

He will have around $600k to live off of for the next 3-4 years.

MaroonFlounder
07-04-2019, 10:08 AM
He is a catcher positionally correct? That is his value, and why the Cubs overpaid, I bet. I hate Contreras. May he soon move on to another team.

msstate7
07-04-2019, 10:13 AM
He is a catcher positionally correct? That is his value, and why the Cubs overpaid, I bet. I hate Contreras. May he soon move on to another team.

Contreras is a total douche, but he's also a very good player.

ShotgunDawg
07-04-2019, 10:39 AM
He will have around $600k to live off of for the next 3-4 years.

An 18 year old can't get more than 3-4 years out of $600K?

State82
07-04-2019, 02:18 PM

Yeah. Give me 600k and see how many years I get out of it. Way more than 3-4 I can assure you.

Tbonewannabe
07-05-2019, 08:17 AM

I am just saying 3-4 years and you should be knocking on the MLB door. So you either have that amount or you go back to school or do whatever. It is similar to the other scenario in the thread where we were talking about someone signing for $500k. When you get around $1 Mil, you have to be Really Confident in your abilities to turn that down and go to college.

Ginn turned down $2 Mil and I believe Paul Maholm turned down $750k back in the day. Maholm's gamble paid off since he ended up signing for $2 or 3 Mil and we will see next year if Ginn improved his draft stock.

Has any person at catcher ever turned down that kind of money?

Tbonewannabe
07-05-2019, 08:22 AM
Yeah. Give me 600k and see how many years I get out of it. Way more than 3-4 I can assure you.

I would hope so and he should have a nice start to life with that kind of bonus. He has plenty of money to set himself up and should also have the college tuition clause in his contract so if he doesn't make MLB then he should have enough in the bank to go to college, buy a house and car, and still have some cash in the bank.

It would be hard to turn down close to a Mil unless you had starting pitcher talent like JT Ginn.

msstate7
07-05-2019, 08:24 AM
I would hope so and he should have a nice start to life with that kind of bonus. He has plenty of money to set himself up and should also have the college tuition clause in his contract so if he doesn't make MLB then he should have enough in the bank to go to college, buy a house and car, and still have some cash in the bank.

It would be hard to turn down close to a Mil unless you had starting pitcher talent like JT Ginn.

I think it would be harder to turn down the money as a starting pitcher... pitchers get hurt too easily.

Tbonewannabe
07-05-2019, 08:27 AM
I think it would be harder to turn down the money as a starting pitcher... pitchers get hurt too easily.

True but they also go high first round typically also. I would bet next year is about half pitchers in the first round at least.

KB21
07-05-2019, 08:34 AM
High school catchers, for whatever reason, have a notoriously poor hit rate when it comes to becoming a MLB regular.

The name is escaping me right now, but we had a signee that was drafted by the Royals who played catcher a few years ago (maybe the year before the Mangum class), and he's likely never going to make it above AA.

msstate7
07-05-2019, 08:36 AM
High school catchers, for whatever reason, have a notoriously poor hit rate when it comes to becoming a MLB regular.

The name is escaping me right now, but we had a signee that was drafted by the Royals who played catcher a few years ago (maybe the year before the Mangum class), and he's likely never going to make it above AA.

I think catchers in general are hard to predict. I'm worried about the braves' 9th pick, langeliers, and he's a college player

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2019, 08:44 AM
I think catchers in general are hard to predict. I'm worried about the braves' 9th pick, langeliers, and he's a college player

He's really really good.

The key to catchers is that they have to be really really good defensively.

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2019, 08:45 AM

Chase Vallot

msstate7
07-05-2019, 08:50 AM
He's really really good.

The key to catchers is that they have to be really really good defensively.

Yeah, that's the word. I just hope he can at least put up a .700+ ops

KB21
07-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Chase Vallot

Thanks. I couldn't think of his name to save my life. I could have googled it, but I hate google so...

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2019, 09:19 AM

He should. He has the skill set to be a 5/6 hole hitter in MLB for 10 years. Should hit .265 or so with 15-20

He'll be an elite framer & blocker behind the plate though with outstanding arm strength.

Slightly less twitchy version of JT Reamuto

KB21
07-05-2019, 09:21 AM

I think he will. He's got some pop in that bat. I follow a guy who writes for a blog "Notes from the Sally League" named John Calvagno. It's a scouting site. He stated in his first look at Shea that he sees 25-30 HR potential in his bat. With that will come around a 25% K rate, and his hit tool is probably a 45-50 at his peak.

Shewmake is the guy with very quick hands who has this long, lanky frame. He's got to get some more loft in that swing to generate more power, but you wonder if that will come with a decline in his contact. He's a legitimate 60 plus hit tool guy though, and he has shown some doubles power as well as some good exit velocity to this point. He's not getting challenged at Low A right now, but it will not surprise me to see both Shewmake and Langeliers finish the season in Rome before going to instructs and then starting in AA next year. That high A Florida team is just a dumping ground right now.

That 2020 Mississippi team could be interesting, because I think you will see Shewmake and Langeliers there. I think you will see Trey Harris in that line up. I think you could potentially see Bryce Ball in that line up.

KB21
07-05-2019, 09:22 AM
http://notesfromthesally.com/2019/07/04/my-1st-look-at-braves-2019-1st-rounders-shea-langeliers-and-braden-shewmake/

I enjoyed my brief look at Langeliers, I loved the way the ball came of his bat. The game power will be his loudest offensive tool. The Braves could be getting a player that hits around .250 with an OBP in the .330 range, with 25-30 HR.
I’m looking forward to watching him defensively behind the dish. Rome is back in my area starting on the 18 with a series in Asheville. I’m hoping to update this piece then.

Tbonewannabe
07-05-2019, 09:40 AM

I would trust college players more than straight out of high school. You can get more of a feel on how they will handle a pitching staff and be able to block up more elite pitching. If you can block up a JT Ginn slider in the dirt then you can block up most of what you will see in MLB.