PDA

View Full Version : New Recruiting Strategy

1bigdawg
07-03-2019, 01:10 PM
The advent of the transfer portal has dramatically changed the landscape of college sports. Here are a couple of ideas moving forward.

1) Continue to recruit top players even when there is absolutely zero chance of signing them. If they enter the portal later, they will remember the schools who stayed after them.

2) Monitor G-5 schools, the FCS, and Divisions II and III for players who may be able to fill holes. A D-III kicker could fill a gap quickly and a starting skill player in G-5 may want more exposure.

Other ideas?

Lord McBuckethead
07-03-2019, 01:24 PM
I like the G5 schools idea. Imagine if we would have picked up a guy like UConns issabella. Wes Welker clone.

ShotgunDawg
07-03-2019, 02:05 PM
- Make sure the roster always sits at 80 by the end of Spring.
- Unless you can get an elite kicker and punter out of HS, don't sign one and just get transfers.
- save the other 3 roster spots for positions of need.

confucius say
07-03-2019, 02:07 PM
The new legislation just passed is supposed to make it harder to be granted immediate eligibility when transferring, fwiw

Lord McBuckethead
07-03-2019, 04:01 PM
The new legislation just passed is supposed to make it harder to be granted immediate eligibility when transferring, fwiw

Why would they do that? I would need to see what their ruling was, but for me if the student has graduated with a degree, then they should be able to transfer wherever they want. Every student on the planet has that capability.
I would argue, that a player that is a true Junior that has not earned a starting position, could transfer before the start of the season their Junior year. Hell, recruiting promises are made, then reality hits these players when they get to campus and there are 3 5* WR in front of them on the depth chart. Make them sit out a year, unless they have graduated. Then they should be able to leave Alabama and transfer for immediate playing time at Auburn, if they want.

Look they only have one legit shot to make it to the NFL. Some don't even really have that. Let's let them play.

I do like the portal part of it though. No player should be contacted by a prospective school unless they have declared for the portal.

DancingRabbit
07-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Why would they do that? I would need to see what their ruling was, but for me if the student has graduated with a degree, then they should be able to transfer wherever they want. Every student on the planet has that capability.
I would argue, that a player that is a true Junior that has not earned a starting position, could transfer before the start of the season their Junior year. Hell, recruiting promises are made, then reality hits these players when they get to campus and there are 3 5* WR in front of them on the depth chart. Make them sit out a year, unless they have graduated. Then they should be able to leave Alabama and transfer for immediate playing time at Auburn, if they want.

Look they only have one legit shot to make it to the NFL. Some don't even really have that. Let's let them play.

I do like the portal part of it though. No player should be contacted by a prospective school unless they have declared for the portal.

Pretty sure this is not about grad transfers.

DancingRabbit
07-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Penn State has lost 16 players thru the portal, with 3-4 pending. Looks like they have brought in 2. That's nearly a whole recruiting class.

Maybe half of them are self-processing but that's a lot of bodies.

confucius say
07-03-2019, 06:43 PM

Harder for non grads to be immediately eligible. Every non grads waiver request for immediate eligibility was being granted, and the new rules are supposed to cut back on that.

Grad transfers will not be affected

RocketDawg
07-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Harder for non grads to be immediately eligible. Every non grads waiver request for immediate eligibility was being granted, and the new rules are supposed to cut back on that.

It pretty much got out of hand, and may have started with some of those OM transfer QBs a few years ago.

maroonmania
07-03-2019, 07:21 PM

Players transferring up to FBS from lower divisions don't sit out anyway do they?

Liverpooldawg
07-03-2019, 07:38 PM
The transfer portal has probably had its wings clipped, and rightly so.

TALL DAWG
07-03-2019, 11:06 PM
I like the G5 schools idea. Imagine if we would have picked up a guy like UConns issabella. Wes Welker clone.

U meant UMass.
The dude wore us out when we played them at MSU. I was at the game and told a buddy he?ll make a lot of $ in NFL one day as he fit the Wes Welker mode.

BrunswickDawg
07-04-2019, 07:22 AM
Deleted

Tbonewannabe
07-05-2019, 12:47 PM
It pretty much got out of hand, and may have started with some of those OM transfer QBs a few years ago.

I think Justin Fields was the one who really showed how broken it was. The guy transferred away from home (he is from Kennesaw GA which is around 2 hours from UGA) because someone on campus called him or he heard the n word at a UGA baseball game. At least most of the people up to that point got closer to home because they used some sick relative as an excuse.

I am in no way saying that anyone should put up with that but it wasn't like UGA is a hostile environment to minorities.

KOdawg1
07-05-2019, 12:58 PM
I think Justin Fields was the one who really showed how broken it was. The guy transferred away from home (he is from Kennesaw GA which is around 2 hours from UGA) because someone on campus called him or he heard the n word at a UGA baseball game. At least most of the people up to that point got closer to home because they used some sick relative as an excuse.

I am in no way saying that anyone should put up with that but it wasn't like UGA is a hostile environment to minorities.
Tate Martell's case was also ridiculous. Fields transfered to OSU and Martell knew he didn't have a job anymore, so he went to the U. He has no business playing this year, but he was granted immediate eligibility.

StarkVegasSteve
07-05-2019, 01:51 PM
U meant UMass.
The dude wore us out when we played them at MSU. I was at the game and told a buddy he?ll make a lot of $ in NFL one day as he fit the Wes Welker mode.

Had we not changed coaching staffs I bet you we would've made a run at him, or at least seen if he was interested. That dude single handedly almost beat us in 17.