PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Stevens Article AL.com

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2019, 04:09 PM
Rosebowl just interviewed Nagy as well & had some damn good things to say.

Get excited folks. Nagy is the real deal as an evaluator.

If Zuber & Stevens can click & Guidry can go to Hibbett's & buy some stick'em, along with what should be a deep & legit OL & top of the conference RB, this offense could be really really good.

Or Stevens could run the ball all year like did Fitz did & it sucks.

https://www.al.com/sec/2019/07/senior-bowls-jim-nagy-shares-which-qb-stood-out-most-at-manning-passing-academy.html

Jack Lambert
07-02-2019, 04:12 PM
?After watching him thrown, I can?t believe (Penn State coach James) Franklin let him out the door in Happy Valley. That?s crazy to me. The kid?s talented.?

Tommy might have kicked the door down.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2019, 04:16 PM
All our receivers need to do what Fred Bilentnikoff used to do. He would spray stickem all over his hands, arms, jersey, or anywhere a ball might touch just in case. I heard Ken Stabler say one time he got a ball back after a Bilentnikoff catch and couldn't let go of it becaus it had so much stickem on it lol!

Jack Lambert
07-02-2019, 04:21 PM
All our receivers need to do what Fred Bilentnikoff used to do. He would spray stickem all over his hands, arms, jersey, or anywhere a ball might touch just in case. I heard Ken Stabler say one time he got a ball back after a Bilentnikoff catch and couldn't let go of it becaus it had so much stickem on it lol!

Never happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwJU6NTnPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCIuk3aJydM

DancingRabbit
07-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Zuber sounds all in

TrapGame
07-02-2019, 04:29 PM
Must...not...get...wool...

Damn.

https://www.rspcasa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Woolly-the-sheep-before2.jpg

MarketingBully
07-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Hope he gets to wear #2. I can think of another #2 that came to a team coming off an 8-5 year and led them to the pinnacle of college football...hey I can dream can’t I?

MarketingBully
07-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Hope he gets to wear #2. I can think of another #2 that came to a team coming off an 8-5 year and led them to the pinnacle of college football...hey I can dream can’t I?

Oh and get this. That 8-5 team went to the Outback bowl. Oh snap...

somebodyshotmypaw
07-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Talent is certainly important. But Fitz was extremely talented in the run game, and had a great arm.

Accuracy is also very important. Fitz struggled in that department.

Decision making is huge in the Moorhead offense. This was Fitz's biggest issue in my opinion. This offense has plays where the QB can throw, handoff, or keep it. Fitz liked to just keep it. He made some terrible reads at times. He would pull the ball from Kylin and misread the defender. A huge potential gain by Kylin would turn into a three yard gain by Fitz.

If Stevens can make the correct decisions/reads, and can be more accurate in the passing game, this offense can make a real leap forward. Even if Stevens is less than Fitz as a runner.

The QB is the most important player on the field in 99% of the offenses in today's football. Because the days of taking a snap and simply handing it to Herschel Walker are over. And in Moorhead's system, the QB is significantly more important. Tons of decisions to make correctly for the offense to work. So while I love the evaluation of Stevens as a passer at camp, I still think it comes down to which QB can execute the Moorhead offense the best.

Pollodawg
07-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Talent is certainly important. But Fitz was extremely talented in the run game, and had a great arm.

Accuracy is also very important. Fitz struggled in that department.

Decision making is huge in the Moorhead offense. This was Fitz's biggest issue in my opinion. This offense has plays where the QB can throw, handoff, or keep it. Fitz liked to just keep it. He made some terrible reads at times. He would pull the ball from Kylin and misread the defender. A huge potential gain by Kylin would turn into a three yard gain by Fitz.

If Stevens can make the correct decisions/reads, and can be more accurate in the passing game, this offense can make a real leap forward. Even if Stevens is less than Fitz as a runner.

The QB is the most important player on the field in 99% of the offenses in today's football. Because the days of taking a snap and simply handing it to Herschel Walker are over. And in Moorhead's system, the QB is significantly more important. Tons of decisions to make correctly for the offense to work. So while I love the evaluation of Stevens as a passer at camp, I still think it comes down to which QB can execute the Moorhead offense the best.

This. It all comes down to can the guy execute the offense. Fitz couldn’t. Can he make the pre-snap read? Can he get the plays in? It’s took sooooooo long for our guys to get set last season. Will that improve? Was that a QB issue? It all boils down to can he execute, not whether or not he’s a great athlete. Brady and Manning are not great atheletes. They execute.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2019, 06:30 PM
Never happen again.

Oh I know they made it illegal but some of our guys could've used a little extra help last year.

BeardoMSU
07-02-2019, 07:16 PM
Must...not...get...wool...

Don't worry....IT'S cumming [soon]***

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-13-2015/qLyh0W.gif

Lord McBuckethead
07-02-2019, 07:18 PM

Hey, I get this reference.

Lord McBuckethead
07-02-2019, 07:19 PM
Oh I know they made it illegal but some of our guys could've used a little extra help last year.

They should have still used it. The object is to win a championship.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-02-2019, 07:28 PM
This. It all comes down to can the guy execute the offense. Fitz couldn’t. Can he make the pre-snap read? Can he get the plays in? It’s took sooooooo long for our guys to get set last season. Will that improve? Was that a QB issue? It all boils down to can he execute, not whether or not he’s a great athlete. Brady and Manning are not great atheletes. They execute.

Moorhead has plays where you can pass, handoff, or keep. Too often Fitz chose the wrong option. He just couldn't do it, so he relied on what he did best and kept the damn ball. Fitz just couldn't execute it. Either Fitz wasn't capable, or Fitz was too dumb, or the offense was too complicated, or the offense takes too long to learn, or the coaches can't teach it, or something. But Fitz could not execute it the way it was drawn on a whiteboard.

DancingRabbit
07-02-2019, 08:43 PM
This seems like a good sign

Jack Lambert
07-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Moorhead has plays where you can pass, handoff, or keep. Too often Fitz chose the wrong option. He just couldn't do it, so he relied on what he did best and kept the damn ball. Fitz just couldn't execute it. Either Fitz wasn't capable, or Fitz was too dumb, or the offense was too complicated, or the offense takes too long to learn, or the coaches can't teach it, or something. But Fitz could not execute it the way it was drawn on a whiteboard.

Takes a long time to learn. I noticed when KT was in the game he didn't stop the snap count and change the play. He just ran it. I just think Fitz missing out on spring and the first game hurt him.

MarketingBully
07-02-2019, 09:30 PM
This seems like a good sign

I think a redshirt year picking up the nuances of the offense along with going through it with a guy who has spent his entire collegiate career in it will help KT.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2019, 10:04 PM
They should have still used it. The object is to win a championship.

I'm with ya!

KentuckyDawg13
07-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Will be interesting if KT wins out and Stevens doesn't and the backtracking everyone will be making about gifting Steven the starting position since he transferred.
Not saying it will happen that way, just it will be good entertainment value.
Morehead will play whomever is the best post-Fall practice.
To have a QB battle is a good thing. Competition is best for all involved.

msstate7
07-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Will be interesting if KT wins out and Stevens doesn't and the backtracking everyone will be making about gifting Steven the starting position since he transferred.

I said from the beginning that Stevens is your guaranteed starter game 1; I feel like this much was promised. I don't think he was promised more. I wouldn't be surprised if we have another qb play in the 1st half of game 1.

TrapGame
07-03-2019, 11:57 AM

KT ain't winning out. We didn't bring in Stevens to ride the bench. Nagy saw it first hand.

Jarius
07-03-2019, 12:31 PM

We have a competition at quarterback the same way we have a competition at middle linebacker.

Goldendawg
07-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Never happen again.

I became a Raiders fan in the late '60's, as I discovered from being a young State fan in this era I needed to follow a Pro team that could win. I remember watching a game where Hayes had so much stickum on his body that an interception seemed to stick to his forearm. Fred B. also used it everywhere with blackup globs on his socks. When I played receiver in the early '70's in HS, we used a spray from a can called "suregrip", I think. First time you hit the ground your hands were covered with grass. With the gloves college players are allowed to use today, there should seldom ever be drops if they can get their hands on the ball.

BuckyIsAB****
07-03-2019, 04:26 PM
If he can make the right decisions and get the ball in 8s hands we will be ok. We wont be great but we will be ok.

Now if Stevens can make the right decisions and he is the real deal, we are going to be good on offense bc the OL and RB groups are above average in this league. Kylin has a chance to go 1st round if he can stay healthy. Adding Zuber helped and its time for Whop to step up. Guidry showed flashes, Mitchell can be a solid possession guy and Deddrick Thomas could end up being the best one. It will be interesting to see how much we use our H-back/TE group bc Moorhead gave his a lot of touches at Penn St. Spivey is a NFL talent, Farrod is solid and dependable. Good blocker.